NATION

PASSWORD

One of California's underfunded prisons riots, 250 Injured

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Neu California
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

One of California's underfunded prisons riots, 250 Injured

Postby Neu California » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:24 pm

LA Times wrote:Chino prison riot quelled, but Southern California prisons remain locked down
12:20 PM | August 9, 2009
An overnight riot between African American and Latino inmates inside a Chino prison has been quelled, but the facility and other Southern California prisons remain in lockdown today, authorities said.

Prison officers at the California Institute for Men cleared out a series of barracks where some 1,300 inmates had started rioting Saturday night, officials said.

More than 250 inmates suffered injuries -- including small cuts, serious stab wounds and head trauma -- in the disturbance, the largest since December 2006, according to Lt. Mark Hargrove.

Most of the injured were treated at the prison; 55 had to be taken to nearby hospitals.

The riot erupted at 8:20 p.m. Saturday in medium-security, dormitory-style barracks. The fighting quickly spread to six other barracks and lasted until around midnight.

“When you start rioting 200 in a unit, everyone knows it,” said Hargrove.

A fire ignited during the chaos and caused significant damage to one of the buildings.

At least 80 officers surrounded the barracks and ordered inmates to come out. Hargrove said they sprayed pepper spray, used batons and shot foam projectiles to remove inmates who had barricaded themselves inside. By 7 a.m. today, the barracks were clear, and all the inmates were being treated for injuries or had been locked in other units.

All prisons in Southern California were put on lockdown as a result of the riot. Visitation was suspended until further notice, officials said.

Investigators were still determining the cause of the melee and what sparked the fire. They planned to take an inventory of weapons found at the scene.

-- Joe Mozingo

So what can be done to keep this sort of thing from happening, other than actually properly funding the prisons, and revoking three strikes (AKA 3 nonviolent felonies, you're gone for good)?
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little"-FDR
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist"-Dom Helder Camara
"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression"-Unknown
He/him
Aspie and proud
I'm a weak agnostic without atheistic or theistic leanings.
Endless sucker for romantic lesbian stuff

"During my research I interviewed a guy who said he was a libertarian until he did MDMA and realized that other people have feelings, and that was pretty much the best summary of libertarianism I've ever heard"

Clamparapa
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2004
Ex-Nation

Re: One of California's underfunded prisons riots, 250 Injured

Postby Clamparapa » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:27 pm

Not much without funding. Maybe they were bored. A bit of hard labour will cure that up good.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:31 pm

Send them to Texas we have this chair.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

The South Islands
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Islands » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:44 pm

Alaskan prison colonies.
IL Ruffino: The wind flows / The hair on TSI's ass glides as if airborn / Smell the freshly cut grass
Gravlen: If I can blame you? Of course I can! I mean, you're like a walking cathalyst for homosexuality, driving otherwise straight men to write haikus about your ass hair...

So it's a wonder that your presence alone in any thread don't derail them and lead to debates about world leaders and homoerotic desires.

Sarkhaan: You. Put your pants back on.

Clamparapa
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Clamparapa » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:45 pm

The South Islands wrote:Alaskan prison colonies.

This.

Neu California
Senator

Postby Neu California » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:47 pm

Me likey, especially if Shwarzenegger is among the first one to go up there
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little"-FDR
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist"-Dom Helder Camara
He/him
Aspie and proud

"During my research I interviewed a guy who said he was a libertarian until he did MDMA and realized that other people have feelings, and that was pretty much the best summary of libertarianism I've ever heard"

Ernst_Rohm
Lobbyist

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Ernst_Rohm » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:53 pm

i would think you would have real legal problems sending california state prisoners to alaska, or texas for that matter. even if it was constitutional in both states there would still be the matter of public sentiment and compensation i can image any state would take another states prisoners gratis and california is broke.

The South Islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Islands » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:55 pm

Ernst_Rohm wrote:
i would think you would have real legal problems sending california state prisoners to alaska, or texas for that matter. even if it was constitutional in both states there would still be the matter of public sentiment and compensation i can image any state would take another states prisoners gratis and california is broke.

Have Alaska lease an island to California.

Problem solved.
IL Ruffino: The wind flows / The hair on TSI's ass glides as if airborn / Smell the freshly cut grass
Gravlen: If I can blame you? Of course I can! I mean, you're like a walking cathalyst for homosexuality, driving otherwise straight men to write haikus about your ass hair...

So it's a wonder that your presence alone in any thread don't derail them and lead to debates about world leaders and homoerotic desires.

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:04 pm

@ OP: Do you live in the Inland Valley? Do you read the Daily Bulletin?

There were a few articles in a series a while ago reporting on CIM showing how poor the conditions in the prison are. Even before the state knew it had to furlough its employees, CIM suffered from building degredation, staffing problems and subpar conditions.

Doesn't surprise me to hear about this.

Ernst_Rohm
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Ernst_Rohm » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:08 pm

The South Islands wrote:
Ernst_Rohm wrote:

Problem solved.
yeah okay that might work... maybe

Attu Island might do nicely

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attu_Island

The South Islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Islands » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:11 pm

Ernst_Rohm wrote:
The South Islands wrote:
Ernst_Rohm wrote: i would think you would have real legal problems sending california state prisoners to alaska, or texas for that matter. even if it was constitutional in both states there would still be the matter of public sentiment and compensation i can image any state would take another states prisoners gratis and california is broke.

Problem solved.
yeah okay that might work... maybe

Attu Island might do nicely

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attu_Island

I was thinking someplace smaller.

Dump a bunch of lifers there, give them some basic construction materials and a limited supply of food, a bunch of books on farming, construction etc, and leave them there, dumping new inmates/colonists there every so often. And perhaps some supplies they can't manufacture.

Neu California
Senator

Postby Neu California » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:12 pm

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:@ OP: Do you live in the Inland Valley?
I live in the Inland Empire, which may be the same place as the Inland Valley I don't hear that term much here in Rialto

Do you read the Daily Bulletin?
No, I tend to get my news from online sources, though I probably should take to reading the paper

There were a few articles in a series a while ago reporting on CIM showing how poor the conditions in the prison are. Even before the state knew it had to furlough its employees, CIM suffered from building degredation, staffing problems and subpar conditions.

Doesn't surprise me to hear about this.

Doesn't suprise me either. As they said on BBC World News America "Californians want to lock up prisoners for longer periods of time, but [we] don't want to pay for it."
He/him
Aspie and proud

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:14 pm

Neu California wrote:
Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:@ OP: Do you live in the Inland Valley?
I live in the Inland Empire, which may be the same place as the Inland Valley I don't hear that term much here in Rialto

Inland Empire, yeah. That.

*thwacks self head with book*

EDIT: Fuck you, Quote tags!
Last edited by Christmahanikwanzikah on Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:17 pm

What, exactly, does the lockdown do for inmates in other prisons? Do they not release inmates that have served their time, or do they implement extra security measures?

Neu California
Senator

Postby Neu California » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:51 pm

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:What, exactly, does the lockdown do for inmates in other prisons? Do they not release inmates that have served their time, or do they implement extra security measures?

They're locked in their cells 23 hours a day. Those who are set for release, are let out I believe
He/him
Aspie and proud

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:52 pm

I'd bet that if Cali put all the lesser drug possessors on immediate parole, there would be no more crowding.

Those guys were never a threat to law and order anyway.

People act as if drugs are worse than Madoff embezzling billions; they're not.

"California leads the way in wasting the people's hard-earned money. My favorite example is the three-strikes law, which famously resulted in a man named Jerry Dewayne Williams being sentenced to life imprisonment for stealing a slice of pepperoni pizza. Add increasingly harsh laws against petty theft and drug possession and California has 170,000 prisoners, the largest prison population in the country with the largest prison population in the world."

HADAR AVIRAM: California prisons are at almost 200 percent capacity. There's no way to sustain it. We have a lot of people in California prisons who shouldn't be in prison — for nonviolent theft, marijuana, other nonviolent drug offenders charged with simple possession, or technical parole violations such as dirty drug tests or not contacting their parole officer or being somewhere they shouldn't — all of which are not violent offenses. But they go back to prison anyway.

ESQUIRE: How did it get so bad?

HA: My answer to this — and it's kind of a sad answer: The people in politics have been seized by a very punitive direction. It's very, very difficult to get elected in America with a "soft-on-crime" approach. So the three-strikes law, the variety of offenses for sex offenders, longer sentences, increasing legislation more and more with the war on drugs — it's this thing we've been doing. And it's not working.

ESQ: So it's really the public's fault.

HA: Research consistently shows that when the public is made aware of the alternatives and the costs, they opt for less punitive approaches. But people don't know what's going on in prisons. They are invisible.

Read more: http://www.esquire.com/the-side/richard ... z0NlD1Z8IW

http://www.esquire.com/the-side/richard ... ate-072809
Last edited by Pope Joan on Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Abstain X
Secretary

Founded: Jul 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Abstain X » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:53 pm

Medium security to maximum?
Love can never be portrayed the same way as a tree or the sea, or any other mystery.
It's the eyes
with which we see.
It's the sinner in the saint.
The light inside the paint.

We are running towards this wall
So with the bang in the hall
Make sure to get a taste of your own blood
When it becomes a flood
Upon thine face.

Eofaerwic
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 16, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Eofaerwic » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:49 am

Doesn't surprise me, you treat people like animals and unsurprisingly they act like it. Barring putting people on lockdown permanently, keeping discipline in prisons does require the cooperation of the prisoners. The best controls on behaviour are in terms of social controls, break down a level of the 'us'/'them' and ensure that prisoners see the guards as people and vice versa.

In terms of what can be done, well more funding definitly needed, better prison conditions, release of non-violent prisoners (overcrowding is always a significant issue in prison) these are all no-brainers. Implementation of rehabilitation programs, reward systems (token economies are very effective) and a change in prison culture and especially prison guard attitude, moving away from merely punitive to actually having a welfare role as well.
Economic Left/Right: -7.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.38
Grave_n_idle: That's much better, that's not creepy at all. Nothing creepy about dropping a hook in someone's brain soup.
Mad hatters in jeans:Why is there a whirlpool inside your head?

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:12 am

do we also have overfunded prison riots?
just curious.

if we do, i'm also curious who's funding them,
as i'm sure the department of correction would also most likely be.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Ryadn
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ryadn » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:18 am

*wishing hard* Please don't be San Quentin, please don't be San Quentin...

*peeks at article*

Ha! Thank god!

...um. It's still really, really bad, though.
"I hate you! I HATE you collectivist society. You can't tell me what to do, you're not my REAL legitimate government. As soon as my band takes off, and I invent a perpetual motion machine, I am SO out of here!" - Neo Art

"But please, explain how a condom breaking is TOTALLY different from a tire getting blown out. I mean, in one case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own, and in the other case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own." - The Norwegian Blue

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:28 am

Prisons are not right to me anyways..there must be some other way of punishing criminals.
Just need to think of it.

Ryadn
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ryadn » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:33 am

EvilDarkMagicians wrote:Prisons are not right to me anyways..there must be some other way of punishing criminals.

Kafka whipped up a lovely little solution in "The Penal Colony".

...of course, the cost of the restraints and machinery needed would run up expenses...
"I hate you! I HATE you collectivist society. You can't tell me what to do, you're not my REAL legitimate government. As soon as my band takes off, and I invent a perpetual motion machine, I am SO out of here!" - Neo Art

"But please, explain how a condom breaking is TOTALLY different from a tire getting blown out. I mean, in one case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own, and in the other case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own." - The Norwegian Blue

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:36 am

Legalizing and taxing drugs should do a lot.
A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:37 am

Ryadn wrote:
EvilDarkMagicians wrote:Prisons are not right to me anyways..there must be some other way of punishing criminals.

Kafka whipped up a lovely little solution in "The Penal Colony".

...of course, the cost of the restraints and machinery needed would run up expenses...

there IS something called DIStraint, which basically means any way of denying the miscreant the opportunity to repeat their specific offense.
(which is the only thing locking someone up can reasonably be expected to accomplish anyway)

of course it would also be possible, even desirable, for a so called department of corrections, NOT to foster racial animosity.
Last edited by Cameroi on Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Jello Biafra
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Jello Biafra » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:18 pm

Is this one of the state's prisons, or one of the private prisons?

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General