NATION

PASSWORD

How to beat the heat...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

How to beat the heat...

Postby Dakini » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:38 pm

without air conditioning.

It was a relatively cool summer, but today it got really hot and it's going to remain really hot for the rest of the week. I utterly failed at staying cool (I had to run errands which involved going outside), though I succeeded in keeping the apartment cooler than outside (yay!).
I kept the windows closed all day (breezes are nice, but they're not that useful when it's just adding hot air) and have opened them now that it's cooled down. I'm probably going to make some curtains for the living and dining rooms to keep some sun (therefore some heat) out of the apartment during the day and I've been running the ceiling fans (I'm not sure if this is actually useful). I'm also going to avoid using the stove and oven until it cools down (I made gazpacho today).

How do you guys stay cool when it's hot outside? Do you have any useful tips (apart from buying an air conditioner or hanging out at the mall where they have an air conditioner)?

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: How to beat the heat...

Postby Barringtonia » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:46 pm

It's been ridiculous here in HK of late,

For outside, one simple trick is to keep wet bandanas or the like in the fridge, for trips out you tie these around the wrist. Veins are close to the skin around the wrist and so they keep the blood cool. Doesn't last for much more than half an hour or so but that can cover most outside trips.

Walk slowly, I find there's a specific speed that keeps me below sweat level, once you start sweating there's no going back.

For the house, I really don't know beyond air-conditioning or living inside the fridge.
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:47 pm

Dakini wrote:without air conditioning.

It was a relatively cool summer, but today it got really hot and it's going to remain really hot for the rest of the week. I utterly failed at staying cool (I had to run errands which involved going outside), though I succeeded in keeping the apartment cooler than outside (yay!).
I kept the windows closed all day (breezes are nice, but they're not that useful when it's just adding hot air) and have opened them now that it's cooled down. I'm probably going to make some curtains for the living and dining rooms to keep some sun (therefore some heat) out of the apartment during the day and I've been running the ceiling fans (I'm not sure if this is actually useful). I'm also going to avoid using the stove and oven until it cools down (I made gazpacho today).

How do you guys stay cool when it's hot outside? Do you have any useful tips (apart from buying an air conditioner or hanging out at the mall where they have an air conditioner)?

If it's really hot and you can't sleep, believe it or not, put on damp socks and hang your feet outside the blankets. You'll feel cooler.

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:49 pm

Katganistan wrote:If it's really hot and you can't sleep, believe it or not, put on damp socks and hang your feet outside the blankets. You'll feel cooler.

...and look cooler,

I think that's the same principle as the bandanas round the wrist,

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:51 pm

Barringtonia wrote:
Katganistan wrote:If it's really hot and you can't sleep, believe it or not, put on damp socks and hang your feet outside the blankets. You'll feel cooler.

...and look cooler,

Except for bedtime. :)

I wonder if putting damp cold bandannas on the cats would help them or just get me scratched a lot?

Seishin no Ryuu
Envoy

Founded: Aug 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seishin no Ryuu » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:51 pm

I live in the SE US and we're in the middle of the "dog days" of summer. Temperatures don't usually get lower than 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Luckily, my family's apartment has a humongous AC unit. Ceiling fans help, but I don't really know what else you could do.

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:56 pm

Dakini wrote:I wonder if putting damp cold bandannas on the cats would help them or just get me scratched a lot?

I'd like to see you try, please video the event and post it on Youtube, as a future scientist you should be promoting peer-reviewed experiments,
Last edited by Barringtonia on Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:02 pm

Barringtonia wrote:
Dakini wrote:I wonder if putting damp cold bandannas on the cats would help them or just get me scratched a lot?

I'd like to see you try, please video the event and post it on Youtube, as a future scientist you should be promoting peer-reviewed experiments,

Well, I tried resting ice packs on them when they're lying down, they didn't seem to mind this for a bit (and would get up and go somewhere else eventually), but it didn't seem to help either. I cupped some water in my hands and basically dumped it down the length of one of them quickly. She didn't like when I added the water too much, but it seemed to keep her from panting for a while so maybe it helped?

I'm thinking of freezing part of their water so they can have some ice cold drinks for longer than ice cubes last, but this seems like it will only help them as long as they're drinking the water mostly.

Oh, also it might be difficult to video tape such an attempt. I would have to set up my laptop such that it can see all the action... which might be difficult if someone tries to escape.
Last edited by Dakini on Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smunkeeville
Minister

Founded: Aug 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Smunkeeville » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:07 pm

My air conditioner has been out for over 6 weeks. Average outdoor temperature 96-106F average indoor temperature 86-96F. Seriously.

If you can get it down to about 80 in the house you're doing pretty good. Get heavy window coverings for all your East windows. Put fans around to circulate the air, stay hydrated. If you can spend the hottest part of the day using someone else's air conditioning, do so. I've found safe haven in the library. Free Wi-fi, books for the kids, cool clean water from the fountain and air conditioning.

At night I get tea towels wet and lay them on me as I sleep, the air from the fan cools me and the water evaporates off my skin.

Taking a shower (cold!) and going to bed with your hair wet might also help, but it means you have to take another shower in the morning as your hair will be horrible and you'll have sweated like a pig all night anyway.

Try not to use electricity during the day (television, lamps, cooking things) and limit it's use in the night, light bulbs put off a lot of heat. Candles rather than lamps and led book lights are good. I shouldn't be on the computer, but I am.

I purchased a portable air conditioner Friday. It's been a life saver. It was quite expensive but not as expensive as fixing my unit (which has to be done anyway because the heater is also broken), if you can afford one I would recommend it, it only cools one room but you can stay in that room much more than you realize. If it's not humid where you are swamp coolers are rather cheap, and would also be helpful.

Sometimes a night a breeze is outside, if you open the window and put the fan in front you can get a good breeze going, but remember to wake before dawn to close the window and curtains if you're window is eastern facing as any sunlight getting in at all is only going to heat things up.

I can't stress how much being well hydrated helps. You sweat more than you realize and you'll only feel shitty if you don't replace the water.
"I like vacuuming, I find it cathartic. It's like I imagine all the people who tick me off being little pieces of lint and I'm sucking them up a tube into a vortex of terror, it's a healthy way to deal with my frustrations." - Smunkling, aged 8

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:15 pm

Dakini wrote:Well, I tried resting ice packs on them when they're lying down, they didn't seem to mind this for a bit (and would get up and go somewhere else eventually), but it didn't seem to help either. I cupped some water in my hands and basically dumped it down the length of one of them quickly. She didn't like when I added the water too much, but it seemed to keep her from panting for a while so maybe it helped?

I'm thinking of freezing part of their water so they can have some ice cold drinks for longer than ice cubes last, but this seems like it will only help them as long as they're drinking the water mostly.

Oh, also it might be difficult to video tape such an attempt. I would have to set up my laptop such that it can see all the action... which might be difficult if someone tries to escape.

For the cats, and I don't know if this is possible where you live, nor where I live for that matter but anyway..

I wonder if you can find a large slab of stone and put that in the freezer, just take it out and lay it on the floor - it should keep the cold quite well and also be okay for lying on, as a cat.

Or, now I'm on this train of thought, anything that keeps the cold in, like a hot-water bottle, placed in a fridge and then wrap a light blanket around it and place at the bottom of the cat basket, if you have one,

EDIT: I don't know why I come up with these fantastical solutions like finding a large slab of stone, I often have the right principle and then an entirely useless application of that principle, the hot water bottle is probably a more sensible solution,

Slab of stone, no wonder my friend's motto for me is 'great in theory, useless in practice,
Last edited by Barringtonia on Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:36 pm

Barringtonia wrote:
Dakini wrote:Well, I tried resting ice packs on them when they're lying down, they didn't seem to mind this for a bit (and would get up and go somewhere else eventually), but it didn't seem to help either. I cupped some water in my hands and basically dumped it down the length of one of them quickly. She didn't like when I added the water too much, but it seemed to keep her from panting for a while so maybe it helped?

For the cats, and I don't know if this is possible where you live, nor where I live for that matter but anyway..

I wonder if you can find a large slab of stone and put that in the freezer, just take it out and lay it on the floor - it should keep the cold quite well and also be okay for lying on, as a cat.

Or, now I'm on this train of thought, anything that keeps the cold in, like a hot-water bottle, placed in a fridge and then wrap a light blanket around it and place at the bottom of the cat basket, if you have one,

EDIT: I don't know why I come up with these fantastical solutions like finding a large slab of stone, I often have the right principle and then an entirely useless application of that principle, the hot water bottle is probably a more sensible solution,

Slab of stone, no wonder my friend's motto for me is 'great in theory, useless in practice,

Well, one of them seems relatively fine sitting on the stone/brick/whatever it is stuff in the "fireplace". I suspect that if the other one would sit down and relax she wouldn't be so damn hot. But also she's pretty fluffy so I can see that she'd get warmer easier. Neither of them really have preferred sleeping spots which makes it difficult to put something out for them... which is sort of why leaving a cold/icy water bottle isn't something that works so well I think.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:37 pm

Barringtonia wrote:

...and look cooler,

Indeed. Some years back there was a massive east coast blackout, in the height of summer of course, and I was whining to a friend in England about it (laptop battery, how I love you!) and he suggested it to me.

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Postby Katganistan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:38 pm

Dakini wrote:
Barringtonia wrote:

...and look cooler,

I wonder if putting damp cold bandannas on the cats would help them or just get me scratched a lot?

Ice cubes in their water bowl?

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:46 pm

Smunkeeville wrote:

My air conditioner has been out for over 6 weeks. Average outdoor temperature 96-106F average indoor temperature 86-96F. Seriously.

If you can get it down to about 80 in the house you're doing pretty good. Get heavy window coverings for all your East windows. Put fans around to circulate the air, stay hydrated. If you can spend the hottest part of the day using someone else's air conditioning, do so. I've found safe haven in the library. Free Wi-fi, books for the kids, cool clean water from the fountain and air conditioning.

At night I get tea towels wet and lay them on me as I sleep, the air from the fan cools me and the water evaporates off my skin.

Taking a shower (cold!) and going to bed with your hair wet might also help, but it means you have to take another shower in the morning as your hair will be horrible and you'll have sweated like a pig all night anyway.

Try not to use electricity during the day (television, lamps, cooking things) and limit it's use in the night, light bulbs put off a lot of heat. Candles rather than lamps and led book lights are good. I shouldn't be on the computer, but I am.

I purchased a portable air conditioner Friday. It's been a life saver. It was quite expensive but not as expensive as fixing my unit (which has to be done anyway because the heater is also broken), if you can afford one I would recommend it, it only cools one room but you can stay in that room much more than you realize. If it's not humid where you are swamp coolers are rather cheap, and would also be helpful.

Sometimes a night a breeze is outside, if you open the window and put the fan in front you can get a good breeze going, but remember to wake before dawn to close the window and curtains if you're window is eastern facing as any sunlight getting in at all is only going to heat things up.

I can't stress how much being well hydrated helps. You sweat more than you realize and you'll only feel shitty if you don't replace the water.

I'm not sure exactly how hot it has been inside the house (I lack a thermometer), hot enough to be a bit uncomfortable, but less than the 43 C (/109 F!?) it was feeling like outside. It was actually something like 29 C (84 F) without the humidity. So really, it's the humidity which was really bad (it's gotten significantly better, there was a large thunderstorm that cleared some of it away, plus it's night now, but it's due to get almost as bad tomorrow).

Tomorrow I'm going to work so I'll avoid most of the heat since there's an air conditioner there. I can't do much about covering the windows until I buy fabric and curtain rods though. :S I've been drinking a lot of water (probably partly because it's nice and cold) and so have the cats... so we're all well hydrated at least. :)

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:50 pm

Katganistan wrote:
Dakini wrote:
Barringtonia wrote:...and look cooler,

Ice cubes in their water bowl?

I've done that, I don't think I've seen them drink from the water bowl when there were still ice cubes in it though. :S

That's why I was thinking of freezing some of their water... like I got them one of those water dishes that has a small water cooler type deal on top (the other dish was needing filled twice a day between thirsty kitties and evaporation) and I was thinking of putting some water in it and freezing it. Then adding more water to the thing and putting it out for them. But then maybe cats don't like water that's too cold and they just wouldn't drink it?

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:55 pm

Dakini wrote:But then maybe cats don't like water that's too cold and they just wouldn't drink it?

Don't quote me on this but I do believe that drinking ice-cold water when very hot is harmful in some way - the aim is to be hydrated as opposed to creating a sharp change in your internal body temperature. So maybe your cats are right.

In terms of a cat that doesn't sleep in the same place, surely if it found a cool enough spot it might? I think the hot water bottle idea might work,

Heinleinites
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 10, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Heinleinites » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:16 pm

When it's really hot, I sit on my porch in the shade with my shirt off and drink beer and smoke cigars and do as little as possible while I wait for it cool off. If it's still hotter than a sinner's ass in hell come the night time, I'll sleep out there too, unless The Girl is over.

When the dogs get hot, I spray them with the hose, or take them swimming, which also works for me.
You will never see a man who would kiss a wench or cut a throat as readily as I, but the wench must be willing, and the man must be standing up against me, else by God! either were safe enough from me." - Samkin Aylward The White Company

Heinleinite's First Rule of Comedy: "It doesn't matter if you don't think I'm funny, just so long as I think I'm funny."

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:16 pm

I remember helping to install the AC at my mother's house during the summer. I wanted to know how hot it was, so I got an ear thermometer (which, somehow, was the only one we had o.O) which registered an ambient air temperature somewhere in the 130s in the attic.

The heat up there, it would've been bearable if it wasn't for the blown in insulation and the low ceiling and the nails going through the roof (gah!) and stuff.

The South Islands
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Islands » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:20 pm

Its not the heat, its the humidity for me. And there's nothing you can do to counter 90% humidity.

One of the things I like to do it go out and exercise outside. Work up a really nice sweat, then take a cool shower and drink something cold. You'll come out completely refreshed.
IL Ruffino: The wind flows / The hair on TSI's ass glides as if airborn / Smell the freshly cut grass
Gravlen: If I can blame you? Of course I can! I mean, you're like a walking cathalyst for homosexuality, driving otherwise straight men to write haikus about your ass hair...

So it's a wonder that your presence alone in any thread don't derail them and lead to debates about world leaders and homoerotic desires.

Sarkhaan: You. Put your pants back on.

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:40 pm

The South Islands wrote:Its not the heat, its the humidity for me. And there's nothing you can do to counter 90% humidity.

One of the things I like to do it go out and exercise outside. Work up a really nice sweat, then take a cool shower and drink something cold. You'll come out completely refreshed.

See, I'd had this problem, I do two hours of tennis every Saturday - I like to think of it as having a sauna with something to do - and I'd noticed that I would come home, take a cold shower and pretty much break into a sweat once I got out of that shower since my body was still burning up.

So this weekend I just sat in that shower for half an hour, on cold, I shaved, washed my hair, just took a really long-ass shower.

I get out and fucking break into sweat again.

It annoyed me TSI, I won't lie to you, it annoyed me to all hell.
Last edited by Barringtonia on Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:41 pm

The South Islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Islands » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:45 pm

Barringtonia wrote:
The South Islands wrote:Its not the heat, its the humidity for me. And there's nothing you can do to counter 90% humidity.

See, I'd had this problem, I do two hours of tennis every Saturday - I like to think of it as having a sauna with something to do - and I'd noticed that I would come home, take a cold shower and pretty much break into a sweat once I got out of that shower since my body was still burning up.

So this weekend I just sat in that shower for half an hour, on cold, I shaved, washed my hair, just took a really long-ass shower.

I get out and fucking break into sweat again.

It annoyed me TSI, I won't lie to you, it annoyed me to all hell.

That means you're not human. I suggest you relocate yourself to District 9 immediately.

Actually, it probably means that your metabolic rate is higher than normal (and therefore producing more heat than normal). Perhaps wait a bit, relax, have a beer or something, then go into the shower? The good news is your burning lots of calories!
IL Ruffino: The wind flows / The hair on TSI's ass glides as if airborn / Smell the freshly cut grass
Gravlen: If I can blame you? Of course I can! I mean, you're like a walking cathalyst for homosexuality, driving otherwise straight men to write haikus about your ass hair...

So it's a wonder that your presence alone in any thread don't derail them and lead to debates about world leaders and homoerotic desires.

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:50 pm

The South Islands wrote: Actually, it probably means that your metabolic rate is higher than normal (and therefore producing more heat than normal). Perhaps wait a bit, relax, have a beer or something, then go into the shower? The good news is your burning lots of calories!

It's true, it's abnormally high, I could probably sell myself out as a heater in the winter,

Doesn't mean I have to like it,

Free Soviets wrote:http://www.instructables.com/id/Air_Fort/

That is totally worth doing regardless,

Tranquilizer Cyborgs
Spokesperson

Founded: May 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tranquilizer Cyborgs » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:54 pm

Just calm down... relax! 8)

The South Islands
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Islands » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:57 pm

Barringtonia wrote:
The South Islands wrote: Actually, it probably means that your metabolic rate is higher than normal (and therefore producing more heat than normal). Perhaps wait a bit, relax, have a beer or something, then go into the shower? The good news is your burning lots of calories!

It's true, it's abnormally high, I could probably sell myself out as a heater in the winter,

Doesn't mean I have to like it,

Try bathing in liquid nitrogen.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General