NATION

PASSWORD

Civilians or your own?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Federal Angola
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Civilians or your own?

Postby Federal Angola » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:48 am

Me and a friend where discussing Hiroshima at work yesterday. He brought up the point that it wasn't worth the 135,000 civilian casualties, but I believe that any amount of civilian casualties is worth saving the lives of Servicemen and Women.

Now looking at today, would I have dropped a nuke on on Iraq? No. But, I would bombard the hell out of ever insurgent stronghold regardless of civilians.

But what I'm really asking is would you (OOC) drop a nuke to save your people's lives?
League City is Still Under Martial Law - Foreign Citizens Should Expect Random Searches

The Democratic States of Federal Angola

Federal High Chancellor of Federal Angola: Commander-General G.W. Davias
FPCON:[ N || A || B || C || D ]
INFOCON:[ 1 || 2 || 3 || 4 || 5 ]
DEFCON:[ 1 || 2 || 3 || 4 || 5 ]

3,530,610 Troops. 239 Naval Units. 184023 Air Units. 211 ICBMs. 61000 Nuclear Weapons Total.
FLEET1 Shipyards Inc. || Embassy Exchange Program || Fact Book

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Civilians or your own?

Postby Maurepas » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:49 am

Not a nuke, especially these days, as MAD tends to mean that you end up saving nobody...

GetBert
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby GetBert » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:51 am

The point of service people is to protect and save the lives of civilians NOT the other way round.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:53 am

It would depend on the circumstance. Due to MAD (and the availability of other weapons that are more effective and precise), today I can't think of a scenario where I would use a nuke.

However, at the time, it would depend on the intelligence I had. Would I kill 135,000 civilians to save a million of my own? Yes. 135,000 civilians to save 135,000 of my own? Well that's tougher, now ain't it?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Alancar
Envoy

Founded: Jul 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Alancar » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:57 pm

Federal Angola wrote:...drop a nuke to save your people's lives?

That's kinda of an oxymoron, isn't it?

But really, destroy to cities to shorten a war that was already lost? You would have to be pretty morally bankrupted to pull something like that
"Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand."
"I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."

Mal's song - Firefly

Westward - Scifi webcomic
"I wouldn't know an answer if I saw one Francis. I have only ever found clues." - Phobos

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:59 pm

Federal Angola wrote:I believe that any amount of civilian casualties is worth saving the lives of Servicemen and Women.

Wat.
economic left/right: -7.38, social libertarian/authoritarian: -7.59
thekidswhopoptodaywillrocktomorrow

I think we need more post-coital and less post-rock
Feels like the build-up takes forever but you never get me off

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:01 pm

Federal Angola wrote:Me and a friend where discussing Hiroshima at work yesterday. He brought up the point that it wasn't worth the 135,000 civilian casualties, but I believe that any amount of civilian casualties is worth saving the lives of Servicemen and Women.

and i see this as being just exactly backwards,
domonstrating the lack of a conscience,
and why governments aren't something we're better off because they exist.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:01 pm

Federal Angola wrote:Me and a friend where discussing Hiroshima at work yesterday. He brought up the point that it wasn't worth the 135,000 civilian casualties, but I believe that any amount of civilian casualties is worth saving the lives of Servicemen and Women.

Now looking at today, would I have dropped a nuke on on Iraq? No. But, I would bombard the hell out of ever insurgent stronghold regardless of civilians.

But what I'm really asking is would you (OOC) drop a nuke to save your people's lives?

"If it's morally wrong to kill anyone, then it's morally wrong to kill anyone." -George Carlin.
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Clamparapa
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Clamparapa » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:02 pm

I would change that statement, personally. If you can save more lives by dropping a nuke than so be it. You're going to lose people either way. It was estimated that millions of Americans would die, not to mention the millions of Japanese. Though terrible, the nuke saved more lives than it killed.

Leach Islands
Envoy

Founded: Jul 04, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Leach Islands » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:05 pm

Think of it this way. If yo used the first nuke nowadays you will upset someone right? which means that their nuke finger will get itchy. correct? and then of course USA TO THE RESCUE!! and then russia get involved...then NATO....Then the world. where no-one will survive. is it worth it?
Signed
J.Leach
=/\= Intergalactic King of Leach Islands
Leader & Founder Of AWATO Peacekeeping organisation
DefCon:[1][2][3][4][5]
98% of all internet users would cry if facebook would break down, if you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh then copy and paste this into your sig.
Shebu wrote:
History is written by winners. French History books are blank from cover to cover.

Gairania
Attaché

Founded: Aug 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gairania » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:06 pm

Not these days... some countries can launch one right back at you... and in Iraq, no. ICBM, yes.
The Disputed Territories of Gairania
Conflicts So Far:
The Gorilla Wars (for the revolutionaries)

The Imperial Navy
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Imperial Navy » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:09 pm

That one.

Allbeama
Senator

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Allbeama » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:10 pm

Probably a bad idea to lose sight of context. The bomb was dropped on Japan to ensure swift surrender instead of undertaking a long bloody invasion. The Japanese government received an ultimatum from our government and they ignored it. It could have been avoided in the first place.
I would not advocate the use of such weapons today. That would be ignoring what history has taught our generation as well as there are enough countries with that level of weaponry that it might lead to a large scale nuclear throwdown and that would seriously suck for everyone. It is not in our interest as nations to throw nukes at each other.
Agonarthis Terra, My Homeworld.
The Internet loves you. mah Factbook

Hope lies in the smouldering rubble of Empires.

The Romulan Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Romulan Republic » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:45 pm

Soldiers are their to fight. Its their job. One should always try to minimize losses, but the bottom line is that the soldier's job is to expose himself to danger in defense of his country's interests, or those of its allies. That is not the job of a civilian, and one would hope that we have moved past the barbaric notion of innocent, unarmed non-combatants being acceptable military targets. Now, you might say that they are supporting their country, and as such are acceptable targets, but the thing with civilians is that you don't always have a way of knowing which side they support, because they aren't in uniform. Moreover, their are some civilians killed in bombings of urban areas for example who most certainly do not choose to support the enemy: ie children and the severely disabled.

Moreover, to say that any number of civilian casualties is worth it to save the lives of any soldiers is an utterly outrageous and dispicable statement. Would you consider 5 million children an acceptable trade for the lives of a dozen soldiers? If not, at what point is the trade no longer worth it to you? If yes, what makes a soldier's life by default worth so much more than any other human being's?

Finally, their are very obvious practical benefits to one's self in not bombing civilians. In a globalized world where your atrocities may well end up plastered all over the internet, one cannot afford to disregard public opinion. In a globalized economy, one cannot afford to ignore international opinion. And the post-war occupation becomes a lot harder if the public all hate you because your indiscriminant bombing killed their parents and their children. Such atrocities can even be used to justify atrocities against your civilians in kind, as well as mistreatment of your oh-so-precious soldiers when they are captured.
Last edited by The Romulan Republic on Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - President Abraham Lincoln.

Ravea
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ravea » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:49 pm

No. I wouldn't drop a nuke under any circumstances.
~Omnia mutantur, nihil interit~

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:51 pm

Yeah, but people seem to forget that fanatical resistance often kills many, many more civilians than soldiers. The hardliners in the Japanese military by the end of the war were willing to sacrifice the entire nation before they'd ever surrender, and if we invaded it would not only kill untold numbers of soldiers on both sides but also civilians and semi-soldier civilians either impressed in to fighting or simply deluded by propaganda to fight against impossible odds.

I mean, just look at the nightmarish violence on Okinawa or Iwo Jima and imagine that magnified far beyond anything experienced, well beyond the ferocious German resistance in the final months of the war.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

New Central Europe
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Central Europe » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:56 pm

Only time I'll ever use a nuke is for Interstellar Space Flight.

Belschaft
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2008
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Belschaft » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:04 pm

"I do not know whether World War Three will be fought with nuclear weapons, but I know World War Four will be fought with sticks and stone."

Albert Einstein
You will never be happy if you continue to search for what happiness consists of.
You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life.

Federal Angola
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal Angola » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:23 pm

You guy's missed the part where I said that I wouldn't use nukes. I'm not saying "k, they bombed pearl harbor lets use nukes!!1!" I'm asking at what point in your military do you say we are taking unacceptable losses and just go ahead and start bombing places of military value?
League City is Still Under Martial Law - Foreign Citizens Should Expect Random Searches

3,530,610 Troops. 239 Naval Units. 184023 Air Units. 211 ICBMs. 61000 Nuclear Weapons Total.

Federal Angola
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal Angola » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:31 pm

Cameroi wrote:

and i see this as being just exactly backwards,
domonstrating the lack of a conscience,
and why governments aren't something we're better off because they exist.

I can only have as much conscience toward the person who lays down IED's everyday where eventually an American HUMVEE will pass and take that young man's life as he did toward them.

Mad hatters in jeans
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad hatters in jeans » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:35 pm

No i wouldn't use Nuclear weapons.

EternalNight
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 15, 2009
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby EternalNight » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:40 pm

The one situation I could see myself doing a first nuclear strike is if there was *RELIABLE* intel that some really putrid biological agent was going to be released, and the whole area needed to get the plasma-sterilization deal.

I am talking about agents on the level of the stuff from Omega Man or The Stand.

Other then that, there are more effective methods of destroying a target that would not require that magnitude of force.
Last edited by EternalNight on Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You think when you die you go to Heaven or Hell...
You come to US!

Hallowed are the First Triune

ΜΘΓ

Fassitude
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 11, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Fassitude » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:43 pm

Federal Angola wrote:But what I'm really asking is would you (OOC) drop a nuke to save your people's lives?

No. A life doesn't become more important to me because it is lived on any arbitrary side of a line on a map.
Last edited by Fassitude on Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Federal Angola
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Federal Angola » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:13 pm

EternalNight wrote:The one situation I could see myself doing a first nuclear strike is if there was *RELIABLE* intel that some really putrid biological agent was going to be released, and the whole area needed to get the plasma-sterilization deal.

I am talking about agents on the level of the stuff from Omega Man or The Stand.

Other then that, there are more effective methods of destroying a target that would not require that magnitude of force.

It's not suppose to be a first strike.

EternalNight
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 15, 2009
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby EternalNight » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:57 pm

Federal Angola wrote:
EternalNight wrote:The one situation I could see myself doing a first nuclear strike is if there was *RELIABLE* intel that some really putrid biological agent was going to be released, and the whole area needed to get the plasma-sterilization deal.

It's not suppose to be a first strike.

Read carefully what I said. I am talking about a first-strike deployment to sterilize a biological agent that could conceivably depopulate the planet. Specific situation.
You think when you die you go to Heaven or Hell...
You come to US!

Hallowed are the First Triune

ΜΘΓ

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General