NATION

PASSWORD

Why does it seem everyone hates Republicans

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

DO you Hate Republicans

Yes, I really Hate them they can all burn in hell, I don't care whether some are good or some are bad **** them all, (this is because I have no idea what they stand for it is merely blind hate)
15%
Yes, I made a logical arguement explaining why, and for the record I do not HATE them, merely disagree with their policies
44%
No, I made a logical arguement explaining why, and for the record I am not Bill Gates and I am NOT a radical
22%
meh (sound it out)
19%

Total votes : 334

UnitedStatesOfAmerica-
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby UnitedStatesOfAmerica- » Sat May 21, 2011 5:41 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
UnitedStatesOfAmerica- wrote:If it gets to the point that there is no money left to fully fund SS or Medicare for all Americans equally then we should not only cut benefits but institute emergency tax hikes until such time as we are out of the emergency situation.

Once we are out, we can then repeal the tax hike and restore the normal funding levels of both SS and Medicare. The sooner we can repeal the tax and restore the two programs, the better.

then we need a tax hike NOW. it is impossible to pay for our obligations with the money we are taking in now. if you can get the congress to pass it this week we can avert disaster ....i recommend hitting the rich and the big no-tax-payin' corporations since they can pay without damage to their ability to live.

It's a matter of persuading the Republicans in the House that those hikes won't be used against them at election time by radical groups such as CWA.

We saw what happened to Republicans in California when they agreed to temporary tax hikes. They got crucified and the other US Republicans got the message that was sent and are now reluctant to support new taxes unless they had guarantees.
The tea party destroyed the California Republican Party because they agreed to support tax hikes to help pay down the state's public debt. Republicans are afraid the same will happen nationally.
Land of Free Beer and the Home of the Kentucky Fried Chicken

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Sat May 21, 2011 5:42 pm

UnitedStatesOfAmerica- wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:maybe he'll believe john boehner...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/05/ ... 7C20110517

We could do it a lot sooner if people were willing to make subtantial sacrifices. The poor should give up the welfare programs and big oil should give up its multi-billion dollar tax breaks. At least until the crises is over.

And if a person is making 1.5 million I don't see how giving an extra 5% to help pay the national debt is going to hurt them.

well sure.

but the question is "why does it seem everyone hates republicans" and you just answered the question, eh?
whatever

Aeronos
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeronos » Sat May 21, 2011 5:42 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Aeronos wrote:I think he more means what conservatives usually mean: terminate social welfare along with tons of other government spendings, whilst dropping tax rates on the wealthy in accordance with the Laffer Curve.

which would also destroy the economy since we have deficit of more than a trillion dollars (thats true for this year too isnt it?) not to mention the elderly, disabled, poor, government workers, government contractors etc who would be economically destroyed.

I didn't say I agreed with it by any extent! It's just the usual argument I get from conservative Americans elsewhere (fortunately he appears to reject this) ;)

I personally believe in state deflation, but certainly not at the cost of the commonfolk. I always found the "We need to fix this debt. Quickly, slash education, health care and unemployment benefits! Defense, subsidies and stimuluses? No, don't cut them, we need it!" mentality of conservatives to be absolutely disgraceful. It's pure tyranny of the wealthy to spend worker's tax dollars on bailing out the wealthy who keep their money in offshore accounts, and then when the interest bill comes past, to fund it with cuts on social welfare.
My Political Compass
Economic: Left/Right (2.18)
Social: Libertarian/Authoritarian (-9.71)

Note: I am female, so please get the pronoun right!

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Sat May 21, 2011 5:43 pm

Aeronos wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:which would also destroy the economy since we have deficit of more than a trillion dollars (thats true for this year too isnt it?) not to mention the elderly, disabled, poor, government workers, government contractors etc who would be economically destroyed.

I didn't say I agreed with it by any extent! It's just the usual argument I get from conservative Americans elsewhere (fortunately he appears to reject this) ;)

I personally believe in state deflation, but certainly not at the cost of the commonfolk. I always found the "We need to fix this debt. Quickly, slash education, health care and unemployment benefits! Defense, subsidies and stimuluses? No, don't cut them, we need it!" mentality of conservatives to be absolutely disgraceful. It's pure tyranny of the wealthy to spend worker's tax dollars on bailing out the wealthy who keep their money in offshore accounts, and then when the interest bill comes past, to fund it with cuts on social welfare.

oh im sorry, i didnt mean to imply that you did support the idea. i was just responding to the idea itself.
whatever

UnitedStatesOfAmerica-
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby UnitedStatesOfAmerica- » Sat May 21, 2011 6:09 pm

The corporations should give up their benefits if we are going to ask the poor to give up their benefits. We can't put the burden on just one segment of society. That simply won't work and will likely make the problem worse.

Course, I'm one of the few that believes that whatever US based companies pay their American employees they should also be required, by law, to pay their employees in third world countries.

That will, of course, never fly.

UnitedStatesOfAmerica-
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby UnitedStatesOfAmerica- » Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
We could do it a lot sooner if people were willing to make subtantial sacrifices. The poor should give up the welfare programs and big oil should give up its multi-billion dollar tax breaks. At least until the crises is over.

And if a person is making 1.5 million I don't see how giving an extra 5% to help pay the national debt is going to hurt them.

well sure.

but the question is "why does it seem everyone hates republicans" and you just answered the question, eh?

People whine about the debt and the insolvency of the US but they are not willing to do what is necessary to get us out of the crises.

Brandenburg-Altmark
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Brandenburg-Altmark » Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm

UnitedStatesOfAmerica- wrote:The corporations should give up their benefits if we are going to ask the poor to give up their benefits. We can't put the burden on just one segment of society. That simply won't work and will likely make the problem worse.

Course, I'm one of the few that believes that whatever US based companies pay their American employees they should also be required, by law, to pay their employees in third world countries.

Eh, I think a corporation that extends into other countries should be reclassified as a "multinational" and bumped into it's own separate category with higher tax rates and less protection. American companies ought to be American companies. If you want to be a company of the world you can do that as well, but you shouldn't be given the same privileges and rights as American companies.
Economic Left/Right: -7.50 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21
TOKYONI UNJUSTLY DELETED 19/06/2011 - SAY NO TO MOD IMPERIALISM
Tanker til Norge.
Free isam wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:Where's inda? Or Russa for that matter?

idot inda is asias gron and russa is its hat ok :palm:

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Sat May 21, 2011 6:12 pm

UnitedStatesOfAmerica- wrote:The corporations should give up their benefits if we are going to ask the poor to give up their benefits. We can't put the burden on just one segment of society. That simply won't work and will likely make the problem worse.

That's nice, but that'll just mean more will simply move their official "headquarters" to some tax shelter country, like too many already do.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Teotan
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Teotan » Sat May 21, 2011 6:12 pm

Lately, I've seen lots of "Why do people hate X?" threads. Why do you care? It probably seems like a lot of people hate you from all the extreme rhetoric being waved around. It's all from the pov. Just my two pesos.

Mahdah
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 24, 2011
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Mahdah » Sat May 21, 2011 6:13 pm

Well...they've been called "Rich white people"

I like to call them "Rich White People with guns" Hillbilly political party

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Sat May 21, 2011 6:17 pm

UnitedStatesOfAmerica- wrote:If everyone sacrificed

There is where your argument failed.

Those in the upper class will not.

The lower classes see that and don't think they should carry all the burden......
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

United Gackle
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby United Gackle » Sat May 21, 2011 7:05 pm

Actually more people hate democrats if you think about it that is
Revenge for Armenian Genocide TURKEY YOU WILL PAY!!!!

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Sat May 21, 2011 7:27 pm

Ashmoria wrote:well sure.

People whine about the debt and the insolvency of the US but they are not willing to do what is necessary to get us out of the crises.

and yet the democrats have a plan that will balance the budget in 10 years.

its not "the people" who are against that. its the republican party.
whatever

Holy Paradise
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Paradise » Sat May 21, 2011 7:36 pm

People hate Republicans because sometimes our party is idiotic really.

As a Republican and an overall political conservative, while I love our passion, we need more reasonable people in the spotlight.
Moderate conservative, Roman Catholic

yep

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sat May 21, 2011 7:37 pm

Republicans simply seem disingenuous. Case in point, their so-called support for small government. How can a small government impose social controls on a country of 300 million from a close-minded minority position? What kind of limited government spies on its own people? How can a small government sustain a bloated military budget and play world police forever? How could a small government afford to hand out billions of dollars in subsidies to industry giants, yet suggest that the unemployed are just lazy and need to work harder?

I also dislike how they hype up distraction issues and play on the public's fears. Distraction issues include flag-burning, gay marriage, abortion, euthanasia, Bill Clinton banging interns, Obama's birth certificate, and anything that Evangelical Christians object to (By the way, today's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine). Fear politics include Bush's terror alert levels that went up whenever something bad happened in Iraq.

Lastly, I dislike the Republican's tendency towards nationalism and American exceptionalism. In the modern age, it's just plain stupid. Back in 2003, anyone who disagreed with Bush and the Republicans got called "un-American." Bush even said "Either you're with us, or you're with the terrorists." Being American means that we're allowed to disagree without being called traitors. Guess what? Those un-American protestors turned out to be right. No WMDs, Iraq fell into civil war, and now the only force capable of standing in Iran's way is gone. We saw a lot of American exceptionalism during the healthcare debate, basically "Our system is the best in the world because it's American! Don't change it!" Unfortunately, we actually pay the most out the nose to get the 37th best healthcare amongst developed countries. But that's OK, because our system has eagles on it. EAGLES, people!

My opinions, summarized. Sorry for the wall of text, my video card is down and I have to keep myself occupied somehow.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

Holy Paradise
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Paradise » Sat May 21, 2011 7:55 pm

Hittanryan wrote:Republicans simply seem disingenuous. Case in point, their so-called support for small government. How can a small government impose social controls on a country of 300 million from a close-minded minority position? What kind of limited government spies on its own people? How can a small government sustain a bloated military budget and play world police forever? How could a small government afford to hand out billions of dollars in subsidies to industry giants, yet suggest that the unemployed are just lazy and need to work harder?

Well, as a Republican, I understand your sentiments. I don't pretend to be libertarian. As to your first point, while I am not conservative on all social issues (death penalty, and I don't care if gays get married), when it comes to the issues I am conservative on, such as abortion, those are partially philosophical beliefs as well as religious/political beliefs. I am of the opinion that abortion (unless the woman's life is in danger or was raped) is no different from murder, and since I find murder to be something that must be kept illegal, I support efforts to make abortion illegal as well. I understand why people are pro-choice, I don't think they're evil or anything, but I must disagree with their arguments.

Again, I understand your reasoning. I am often quite frustrated with my party's focus on issues that are unbelievably trivial in comparison to issues like the economy. Flag-burning is protected in the Constitution for goodness' sake, there's no constitutional protections on the flag. The only issues that you mentioned that I feel are actually important are abortion and euthanasia, because those concern matters of life and death, and to me, that is important, although, since you are of a more progressive stance, I understand why you feel those issues aren't as important. In your opinion, you feel that a fetus is not a human life necessarily, but a part of a woman's body that she has the right to do with as she wishes. From such a perspective, such an issue definitely sounds very trivial. But in my opinion, a fetus is a human life, therefore abortion is generally another word for murder, and so I oppose abortion in most cases for that reason. Those are simply philosophical differences, so we have different interests as such.

While I agree that nationalism is overfelt by some Republicans, I find that there can be a little good to having the opinion that the United States is the greatest country in the world. I will admit, I hold that opinion. That being said, that doesn't mean I feel that we can do what we want and shouldn't change our ways. Just because we are the best doesn't mean we can't improve (and no, I don't think we have the best healthcare system in the world). Also, while when I was an immature joke back in 6th grade I felt differently, since about '06 I came to realize that dissent is healthy and vital, and that it is important to realize that just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean they don't have a good point. Not all Republicans hate dissent, I love dissent, free speech is a major concern of mine.

yep

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sat May 21, 2011 8:11 pm

Well, Republicans such as yourself aren't the ones I dislike, then. We may disagree on abortion and euthanasia, but that does not make you a bad person. The only trouble I have with such issues is when Republican politicians attempt to impose these opinions on others through legislation, especially from a religious/moral standpoint. The First Amendment clearly creates a wall of separation between church and state. Even worse, Republicans waste time debating these issues even when they don't have the votes to do anything about it and there are much larger problems to fix (economy, war, deficits, economy, etc.).

In a way, I do feel that the US is the greatest country on Earth, because we always have the ability to do better. What doesn't fly with me is "my country, right or wrong." Wrong. If your country does wrong, it's your civic duty to set it right. And for the Emperor's sake, put the guns down, I didn't mean in that way.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

Holy Paradise
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Paradise » Sat May 21, 2011 8:23 pm

Hittanryan wrote:In a way, I do feel that the US is the greatest country on Earth, because we always have the ability to do better. What doesn't fly with me is "my country, right or wrong." Wrong. If your country does wrong, it's your civic duty to set it right. And for the Emperor's sake, put the guns down, I didn't mean in that way.

I will definitely agree to that. Blind jingoism only leads hurts this country.

I hope I don't come across as thinking highly of myself, but I wish more Republicans could understand where I'm coming from when I say we can definitely disagree with Democrats/liberals/whatever the new term for something that disagrees with us is, but we should take heed to understand where they are coming from, and what points they have. One thing I am very grateful about my high school experience is that having to work and discuss with people who generally held different beliefs gave me a greater understanding of issues, and that we learned more from each other through civilized discussion than just stubbornly holding our respective opinions without being willing to expose them to criticism.

yep

Chevrolet Corvette
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chevrolet Corvette » Sun May 22, 2011 12:32 pm

Well liberals increased the debt of the US to 23 trillion and say they going to "balance budget" but they are too fucking lazy to do anything....

Demen
Ambassador

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Demen » Sun May 22, 2011 12:39 pm

Euronion wrote:I don't understand why people hate Republicans so much, the majority of people that I have inquired to have no idea what Republican ideals are, they say they side for the democrats because all Republicans are evil, I mean I can understand not liking them becuase of sandals but the Democratic party have been the center of equal a scandel yet, they seem to be above public opinion and I find almost no one that disagrees with them, I understand each sides beliefs and policies and have found that I am a conservative, and no I am not rich, I am simply asking why do so many people hate republicans including the mainstream media, yet the democrats are almost completely ignored, just as everyone is critical about FOX news yet no one criticizes the other mainstream media for being biased towards the opposite side, why is this? and please make a logical arguement

They're stupid.

That's why. Next?!

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sun May 22, 2011 12:39 pm

Euronion wrote:I can understand not liking them becuase of sandals

I can't... What do sandals have to do with the Republican party?
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sun May 22, 2011 12:40 pm

Coffee Cakes wrote:In b4 lock...

Seriously, I'm a Republican... but most people that hate the GOP dislike their stand on social issues, militarism, or economic policy. to me that's what it seems.

That would cover why I dislike them.
Married to Koshka
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Demen
Ambassador

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Demen » Sun May 22, 2011 12:40 pm

Chevrolet Corvette wrote:Well liberals increased the debt of the US to 23 trillion and say they going to "balance budget" but they are too fucking lazy to do anything....

Bush didn't do anything to atribute to that in his 8 years of presidency then?

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Sun May 22, 2011 12:41 pm

Anarchiatta wrote:
Siorafrica wrote:Everyone hates the Republicans because the vast majority of people on the internet are American style liberals (left-wing,atheist,environmentalist etc.).

:unsure: What does atheism have to do with not liking Republicans?

The Republican party caters to the religious right.
Married to Koshka

Draconian Races
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Draconian Races » Sun May 22, 2011 12:41 pm

Crux Vitae wrote:Lastly, this site seems to be full of full-blown socialists... am I mistaken?

Socialists, Atheists, trolls, some apathetic/overly permissive Christians, a lot of generic Left-wing seeming people...
Militant Judeao-Christian Crusader Religious State
WARNING: I am very conservative, and my posts may offend. I am not a troll, but I speak my truly held beliefs, offensive or not.
Political Compass Results:
Economic Left/Right: 5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 5.79

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General