NATION

PASSWORD

Active Democracy vs Representative Democracy

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What type of Democracy you prefer?

Direct or Active Democracy
17%
Representative Democracy
45%
Democracy stinks
17%
I like trains
21%

Total votes : 29

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Mon May 30, 2011 5:20 am

Georgism wrote:
Samozaryadnyastan wrote:The thing is, that's done IRL in England, sort of - there's a farm where they actually vote online on how to run it, down to what to have as crops and livestock.

Really? Link?

Also I'm guessing that the voting is mainly done by farm enthusiasts or something? Which would be okay if applied to IRL politics - political enthusiasts vote on politics, economics enthusiasts on economic matters, etc. That wouldn't really happen though

Wimpole Hole Farm, the scheme is run by 'subscription' via the National Trust.
Also, I feel that democracy is a failed concept, as proven by events in Germany today, and the general childishness with which particularly the British and American electoral campaigns are run.

I believe the best nation would be a one-party state that implements things that benefit the nation long term, not benefit the elected party's short term personal aims. Because political freedom isn't necessary, so long as you have plenty of civil freedoms. Democracy has no real benefit for the nation itself.
Last edited by Samozaryadnyastan on Mon May 30, 2011 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sapphire's WA Regional Delegate.
Call me Para.
In IC, I am to be referred to as The People's Republic of Samozniy Russia
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Samozniy foreign industry will one day return...
I unfortunately don't RP.
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).
Take the Furry Test today!

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Mon May 30, 2011 5:30 am

Direct democracy is not workable with more than a few hundred people, if that.
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
Fashiontopia wrote:Look don't come here talking bad about Americans, that will get you cussed out faster than relativity.

Besides: Most posters in this thread are Americans, and others who are non-Americans have no problems co-existing so shut that trap...

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 6/14/11

Naurobia
Ambassador

Founded: May 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Naurobia » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:03 am

Active democracy is ideal but in reality is will never work in a country as large as the united states with over 300 million people. Because of this I am in favor of a representative democracy.
Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:04 am

This thread needs a poll.

Zyvutti
Attaché

Founded: May 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Representive Democracy

Postby Zyvutti » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:47 am

Representitive Democracy, even in ancient Athens they knew that the powerful individuals would be able to manipulate the uneducated individuals (not just uneducated in general but on the specific issue at hand). They knew how easy it was to put out misinformation and spread fear. They even knew that elections of representitives were too easy to manipulate, and chose representives by lottery.

We have incorperated that concept into our election system. We still have elections, but to get on the ballot you are chosen by lottery to attend a Caucus (think of a giant jury). The Caucuses choose who gets on the ballot (usually 5-10 candidates). This is used for both the electoral college which appoint the judicary, and the Senate.

We don't beleive in plurality rule. Most elections are for duel or triple seats. An instant runoff ballot is used with a sequential elimination counting system untill only two or three candidates remain standing.

In elections where only one seat is filled, a candidate gets elected by a 2/3 vote. This is acheived via Instant Runoff Ballot using cumulitive voting. (if no one gets 2/3 vote from round one the votes from round two are added...this is done for as many rounds as it takes for someone to get two thirds of the vote).

Our system prevents entrenched power and partisanship by using a lottery of average citizens to be put on the ballot. It preserves minority rights and prevents fring ideology by electing consensus candidates instead of the lesser of two evils.
Last edited by Zyvutti on Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Georgism
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Georgism » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:44 am

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:Wimpole Hole Farm, the scheme is run by 'subscription' via the National Trust.

That's pretty cool.

Also, I feel that democracy is a failed concept, as proven by events in Germany today, and the general childishness with which particularly the British and American electoral campaigns are run.

What's happening in Germany today? Also I don't really think that childishness is enough todismiss an entire system.

I believe the best nation would be a one-party state that implements things that benefit the nation long term, not benefit the elected party's short term personal aims. Because political freedom isn't necessary, so long as you have plenty of civil freedoms. Democracy has no real benefit for the nation itself.

Hasn't it been done?
Last edited by Georgism on Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Georgism Factbook (including questions and answers)
¯\(°_o)/¯
Horsefish wrote:I agree with George

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:49 am

Georgism wrote:
Samozaryadnyastan wrote:Wimpole Hole Farm, the scheme is run by 'subscription' via the National Trust.

That's pretty cool.

What's happening in Germany today? Also I don't really think that childishness is enough todismiss an entire system.

Hasn't it been done?

I was referring to Germany shutting down their nuclear plants by parliamentary vote.

Also, that Enlightened Absolutism sounds sort of what I had in mind. Make it more culturally relevant to today, and I reckon that would be bang on what I was getting it.
Parliamentarians should still be elected, but I disagree with the idea of party politics - it stifles political inspiration and changes that are necessary and locks the nation's progress to what the ruling party wants to see. If every candidate stood independently, that would mean that the changes made would be necessary changes that were relevant to each independent's constituency.
Call me Para.
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).

Georgism
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Georgism » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:55 am

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:Also, that Enlightened Absolutism sounds sort of what I had in mind. Make it more culturally relevant to today, and I reckon that would be bang on what I was getting it.
Parliamentarians should still be elected, but I disagree with the idea of party politics - it stifles political inspiration and changes that are necessary and locks the nation's progress to what the ruling party wants to see. If every candidate stood independently, that would mean that the changes made would be necessary changes that were relevant to each independent's constituency.

Isn't an elected parliament (or one with any power, anyway) sort of opposed to the entire idea of enlightened absolutism?

Also how will we select the Prime Minister and what is there to stop groups of politicians creating informal 'parties'?
Georgism Factbook (including questions and answers)
¯\(°_o)/¯
Horsefish wrote:I agree with George

Moral Libertarians
Minister

Founded: Apr 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Moral Libertarians » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:57 am

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:Also, that Enlightened Absolutism sounds sort of what I had in mind. Make it more culturally relevant to today, and I reckon that would be bang on what I was getting it.

Hmm, I don't really like the sound of that. I agree with what your saying about the lack of vision of party MPs - in British politics, MPs have basically no choice but to fall in with the party's line. But "changes that are relevant to each independent's constituency" says pork-barrel politics to me. It's inefficient, wateful and I fear that your parliament would spend it's time wrangling over which funds go to which constituency than doing anything meaningful.
Free market is best market.
Political Compass
I support Anarcho-Capitalism
Terra Agora wrote:A state, no matter how small, is not liberty. Taxes are not liberty, government courts are not liberty, government police are not liberty. Anarchy is liberty and anarchy is order.
Occupied Deutschland: [Government] is arbitrary. It draws a line in the sand wherever it wants, and if one crosses it, one gets punished. The only difference is where the line is.
Staenwald: meh tax evasion is understandable in some cases. I don't want some filthy politician grabbing my money for something I don't use.
Volnotova: Corporations... cannot exist without a state.
The moment statism is wiped off the face of this planet it is impossible for any corporation to continue its existance.

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:59 am

I know, you can't win.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

Make up your own mind
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Make up your own mind » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:23 pm

I'd like to experience this direct democracy sometime. Maybe I'll go live on a commune.
Quotes of the moment:
"Power: It no longer just corrupts, it corrodes too." -Gauthier
"who needs certainty when you've got spaceships?" -Free Soviets
Samuraikoku wrote:
Enadail wrote:I'm not understanding why we should compromise justice, liberty, and rights?

Because "mass chaos will ensue".

Sociobiology wrote:yes because such people always want to believe they have a clue about psychology, come to think of it everyone does, must be a fluke caused by wiring us to model other peoples brains in ours.

Literature is dead
A tradition that has stood the test of time...
The Princess Prophecy!

It's a mixed bag really.
I don't hate Christians. I even have Christian friends. ;)
People's impact outlasts them, especially on a forum.
It get's better.

Dungeyland
Minister

Founded: Aug 08, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Dungeyland » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:24 pm

Representative. Too many retards in the world to be trusted to vote sensibly.
Classical liberal.
  • My nation is called the Dangish Empire, officially
  • The population is circa 500 million
  • It is an imperial federation
  • The term Dungeyland while only technically referring to one colony can be used for the entire Empire (think Holland)
  • The Dangish Empire is a constitutional monarchy, our monarch is Queen Ellen I

Factbook/Q&A
Embassy Program
Sky Corporation
If I do not reply to a post within three days, excuse me, for I am very busy nowadays. I try to update every weekend at the least.

Siorafrica
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Siorafrica » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:54 pm

If we're going to have democracy it ought to be the more democratic sort.
NSG Thread Wheel;give it a spin and watch the trainwreck begin. http://cheezburger.com/View/5084656640
A doubleplusgood guide to NSpeak. http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16895
Population of NationStates. http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=138705479531836
Yes by and large NSG for the most part absolutely has nothing but utter unadulterated contempt for religion and those who dare express it openly.-Skibereen
Oi with the arguing in circles over the same tired old topic yet again, and the trolling one another on either side with 'who is a real Christian' and 'why your logic sucks'. How about we put this one to bed again. It's going nowhere. You aren't going to change anyone's minds. Stick a fork in it kids - it's done.-Dread Lady Nathanica

Make up your own mind
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Make up your own mind » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:34 am

Siorafrica wrote:If we're going to have democracy it ought to be the more democratic sort.

Why?
Quotes of the moment:
"Power: It no longer just corrupts, it corrodes too." -Gauthier
"who needs certainty when you've got spaceships?" -Free Soviets
Samuraikoku wrote:
Enadail wrote:I'm not understanding why we should compromise justice, liberty, and rights?

Because "mass chaos will ensue".

Sociobiology wrote:yes because such people always want to believe they have a clue about psychology, come to think of it everyone does, must be a fluke caused by wiring us to model other peoples brains in ours.

Literature is dead
A tradition that has stood the test of time...
The Princess Prophecy!

It's a mixed bag really.
I don't hate Christians. I even have Christian friends. ;)
People's impact outlasts them, especially on a forum.
It get's better.

The USOT
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The USOT » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:51 am

Represenative democracy is great because it ignores the incredible ineficiancy of Direct Democracy, whilst providing the accountability of failure that dictatorships and other forms of government suffer.

in represenative democracy, if a leader screws up you get rid of him in a few years time, hopefully you get someone better.

In a dictatorship if a leader screws up, you either have to lump with his mistakes untill he dies OR hold a bloody revolution which is likely to screw your countries economy over and threaten the internal security of your nation.
Eco-Friendly Green Cyborg Santa Claus

Contrary to the propaganda, we live in probably the least materialistic culture in history. If we cared about the things of the world, we would treat them quite differently. We would be concerned with their materiality. We would be interested in their beginnings and their ends, before and after they left our grasp.

Peter Timmerman, “Defending Materialism"

Seleucas
Minister

Founded: Jun 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Seleucas » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:14 pm

I dislike democracy in general, and will not participate in it under any circumstances saving duress. Given that, I feel that representative democracy is marginally better.
Like an unscrupulous boyfriend, Obama lies about pulling out after fucking you.
-Tokyoni

The State never intentionally confronts a man's sense, intellectual or moral, but only his body, his senses. It is not armed with superior wit or honesty, but with superior physical strength. I was not born to be forced.
- Henry David Thoreau

Oh please. Those people should grow up. The South will NOT rise again.

The Union will instead, fall.
-Distruzio

Dealing with a banking crisis was difficult enough, but at least there were public-sector balance sheets on to which the problems could be moved. Once you move into sovereign debt, there is no answer; there’s no backstop.
-Mervyn King, Governor of the Bank of England

Right: 10.00
Libertarian: 9.9
Non-interventionist: 10
Cultural Liberal: 6.83

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General