NATION

PASSWORD

Patents: Good, Bad, Whatever?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Herpusderpus
Envoy

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Herpusderpus » Thu May 12, 2011 6:06 am

Brandenburg-Altmark wrote:I think Patents do more good than harm. They give people a reason to invent. Why would I want to invent a new type of shoelace protector if Reebok is just going to rip it off 10 seconds later?

Money doesn't work well as incentive for invention. Internal rewards do, passion, curiosity and self-expression. Money is, however, good incentive for tedious labor. People that invent with the intention of making money only come up with crap like Snuggies, anyway, and not anything useful.
Last edited by Herpusderpus on Thu May 12, 2011 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Anyone dumb enough to want to be in the military should be allowed in." -Bill Hicks

Halp voting on the Community Run Nation.
Lolplaying a nazi state with Derpusherpus.

Spabafoofka
Civilian

Founded: May 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

yayayaya

Postby Spabafoofka » Thu May 12, 2011 6:10 am

Vivolve wrote:It depends upon the economic structure of the society where patents are being granted.

However, I do not believe that society can progress creatively or successfully with excessive intellectual bounds being 'blocked-in' as far as new ideas go.

WAFFAGOOFADOO! :ugeek:

Cosmopoles
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopoles » Thu May 12, 2011 6:47 am

Herpusderpus wrote:Money doesn't work well as incentive for invention. Internal rewards do, passion, curiosity and self-expression. Money is, however, good incentive for tedious labor. People that invent with the intention of making money only come up with crap like Snuggies, anyway, and not anything useful.

And if the development costs of new inventions could be paid for with passion, curiosity and self expression that would be fine. But last I checked, "I've got no money but I'm really passionate about this" is not what people want to hear when you are trying to buy things off of them.
Last edited by Cosmopoles on Thu May 12, 2011 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

New Rogernomics
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Thu May 12, 2011 7:06 am

If you are to remove patents and copyrights then you will have to provide a system with the same level of rewards, or innovation will suffer; possibly donations and privileges regarding publication (i.e. a set period till work can be copied) for the publishers, for inventors the same kind of thing. Hazy area so I am going to go with the status quo, but as a whole I don't mind either way but saying that I don't like the stronger copyright enforcement corporations are trying to push on society at the moment.
Last edited by New Rogernomics on Thu May 12, 2011 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Herald (Vice-Delegate) of Lazarus
"Solidarity forever..."
Hoping for Peace in Israel and Palestine
  • Former First Citizen (PM) of Lazarus
  • Former Proedroi (Minister) of Foreign Affairs of Lazarus
  • Former Lazarus Delegate (Humane Republic of Lazarus, 2015)
  • Minister of Culture & Media (Humane Republic of Lazarus)
  • Foreign Minister of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Senator of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Interior Commissioner of Lazarus (Pre-People's Republic of Lazarus)
  • At some point a member of the Grey family...then father vanished...
  • Foreign Minister of The Last Kingdom (RIP)
  • ADN:DSA Rep for Eastern Roman Empire
  • Honoratus Servant of the Holy Land (Eastern Roman Empire)
  • UN/WA Delegate of Trans Atlantice (RIP)

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Patents: Not understood by most who opine

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Thu May 12, 2011 7:09 am

'Nuff said.
I quit (again).
The Altani Confederacy wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
"Don't give me no shit because . . . I've been Tired . . ." ~ Pixies
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu May 12, 2011 7:10 am

Distruzio wrote:
Diseased Imaginings wrote:So what do you think, NSG? Are patents a good thing? Does the good outweigh the bad? Does your ethical code allow you to support them even if the good outweighs the bad?

No patents are not good. They are violations of intellectual liberty. It is the epitome of arrogance to assume that you not only have exclusive rights to the only unique thought in the world regarding a particular idea but that you also have exclusive rights to that unique thought forevermore. Patents are disgusting.

No. That's not what patents are. You can make a game based on Simcity 4, but in no way can you make Simcity 5 or Simcity 9/2.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Thu May 12, 2011 8:12 am

Diseased Imaginings wrote:In an unregulated competitive market, if you spend $1,000,000 on research for a revolutionary new gizmo, there is absolutely nothing stopping every other firm worldwide to copy and produce your gizmo without spending all that cash on R&D. As a result, if you all sell the same number of them, they'll all be richer by $1,000,000. Thus for a profit seeking firm, there is no incentive to produce new technology. The ramifications for this are that once an industry has attained long run equilibrium, it will be static with no new technology being produced in that field.

Wrong.

[announcer voice]

In the red corner, we have the HD-DVD. Developed by Toshiba. With additional support of Memory-Tech, NEC, Sanyo, Microsoft, and 67 others.

In the blue corner, we have the Blue-ray Disc. Developed by Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Thomson, LG, Hitachi, Sharp, Samsung and others.

Lets get ready to rumble!
[/announcer voice]
Innovation would continue. Instead of one firm investing only their own money, for only their own benefit, we'd see associations form. Like what happened in the HD video disc format war.
Last edited by Sibirsky on Thu May 12, 2011 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

SteevyT
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby SteevyT » Thu May 12, 2011 8:45 am

Sibirsky wrote:
Diseased Imaginings wrote:In an unregulated competitive market, if you spend $1,000,000 on research for a revolutionary new gizmo, there is absolutely nothing stopping every other firm worldwide to copy and produce your gizmo without spending all that cash on R&D. As a result, if you all sell the same number of them, they'll all be richer by $1,000,000. Thus for a profit seeking firm, there is no incentive to produce new technology. The ramifications for this are that once an industry has attained long run equilibrium, it will be static with no new technology being produced in that field

Innovation would continue. Instead of one firm investing only their own money, for only their own benefit, we'd see associations form. Like what happened in the HD video disc format war.

Why not spend no money and just copy the other firm so you can sell the product for less since you have no research and development costs?

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Thu May 12, 2011 9:01 am

SteevyT wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:Innovation would continue. Instead of one firm investing only their own money, for only their own benefit, we'd see associations form. Like what happened in the HD video disc format war.

Why not spend no money and just copy the other firm so you can sell the product for less since you have no research and development costs?

By the time it takes you to reverse engineer the product it would have gone down in price.
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Miasto Lodz
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Miasto Lodz » Thu May 12, 2011 9:16 am

New Rogernomics wrote:If you are to remove patents and copyrights then you will have to provide a system with the same level of rewards, or innovation will suffer;

It wouldn't suffer, otherwise the shareholders would rip the CEO's heart out and pee into the left atrium because of lack of new products and lost profits.
Did innovation suffered after BSD/Unix, x86, communication protocols or Arduino?
Mine's bigger.
"A quality instrument is easily repaired" Leo Fender
Kupując kebaba osiedlasz Araba.
Keine Freiheit für die Feinde der Freiheit.

Diseased Imaginings
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Diseased Imaginings » Thu May 12, 2011 10:28 am

Sibirsky wrote:Wrong.

[announcer voice]

In the red corner, we have the HD-DVD. Developed by Toshiba. With additional support of Memory-Tech, NEC, Sanyo, Microsoft, and 67 others.

In the blue corner, we have the Blue-ray Disc. Developed by Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Thomson, LG, Hitachi, Sharp, Samsung and others.

Lets get ready to rumble!
[/announcer voice]

not wrong. In your example, you are referencing oligopolistic industries, e.g. high tech firms. There are only a few of these in the world, and they operate under different circumstances and assumptions compared to perfectly competitive and and monopolistically competitive firms.

in order for monopolistically competitive firms to successfully collude (as you are suggesting as a solution for non-patent research incentives), you'd have to see the re-implementation of guilds. These would be almost impossible to sustain in a monopolistically competitive market, as it would require the coordination of thousands of firms. The incentive to break the pacts and undercut the competition would be very high, and most firms would cease to cooperate very quickly. Even in ologopolistic markets, cartels are notoriously short lived.OPEC, the most famous ologopolistic cartel, has ceased to cooperate numerous times over the years:

The result that OPEC producers have not succeeded in
colluding in recent years is consistent with:
• Marcel and Mitchell (2006); Sperling and Gordon (2007)
• the state-owned companies that comprise OPEC have juggled
multiple objectives, economic and otherwise
=> have not acted so as to maximize joint profits
• Lin (2009)
• simulations of the basic Hotelling model
• a monopolistic market structure better explains the world oil market
than perfect competition does prior to the 1973 Arab oil embargo
• perfect competition fares better after 1973

source: http://nepinstitute.org/get/Mar_2011_OP ... ns/Lin.pdf

besides, guilds are hardly a preferable alternative to short legal monopolies. The formation of a guild would, in effect, produce one large market monopoly, leading to less output and higher prices for everyone.
Last edited by Diseased Imaginings on Thu May 12, 2011 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"This topic brings me to that worst outcrop of herd life, the military system, which I abhor... This plague-spot of civilization ought to be abolished with all possible speed. Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -- how passionately I hate them!" -Albert Einstein

SteevyT
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby SteevyT » Thu May 12, 2011 10:39 am

Sibirsky wrote:
SteevyT wrote:Why not spend no money and just copy the other firm so you can sell the product for less since you have no research and development costs?

By the time it takes you to reverse engineer the product it would have gone down in price.

It's not that hard to take something apart and put it back together. I've done it several times with parts of my car.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General