NATION

PASSWORD

Wow...what a Jerk

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Brandenburg-Altmark
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Brandenburg-Altmark » Thu May 12, 2011 1:24 am

Risottia wrote:
Wilgrove wrote:"I would really think it's an incitement of hatred against Muslims," said mosque board of trustees member Syed Jaffri. "Law enforcement should take it very seriously. Tomorrow, somebody could say, 'Oh, they have weapons' - and people believe it."

I wouldn't think it's an incitement of hatred. I would think it's libel.

Yeah. Saying "Muslims are jerks" is, as stupid and pointless as it is, the kind of speech deserving of protection. Saying "the mosque next door is making explosives!" is libel. It's a direct accusation that can be displayed as being 100% false.
Economic Left/Right: -7.50 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.21
TOKYONI UNJUSTLY DELETED 19/06/2011 - SAY NO TO MOD IMPERIALISM
Tanker til Norge.
Free isam wrote:
United Dependencies wrote:Where's inda? Or Russa for that matter?

idot inda is asias gron and russa is its hat ok :palm:

Dazchan
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dazchan » Thu May 12, 2011 2:40 am

Not being familiar with US law, couldn't the mosque use the fact that he's accusing them of making bombs to bring about a charge of libel/slander? Surely that's not protected by free speech...
If you can read this, thank your teachers.

Veblenia
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Veblenia » Thu May 12, 2011 6:19 am

I wonder how much you'd have to pay his neighbour to put up a sign saying "Child molestation next driveway".

I wonder if a fund could be started for just such a purpose.
Political Compass: -6.62, -7.69
"Freedom is a horizon in which we continually re-negotiate the terms of our own subjugation."
- Michel Foucault

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Thu May 12, 2011 6:24 am

Those muslims are so vain. They probably think that sign is about them.
Last edited by Neo Art on Thu May 12, 2011 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
if you were Batman you'd be home by now

"Consistency is a matter we are attempting to remedy." - Dread Lady Nathinaca

Al-Harakut al-Islami
Minister

Founded: Dec 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Al-Harakut al-Islami » Thu May 12, 2011 6:27 am

Neo Art wrote:Those muslims are so vein. They probably think that sign is about them.

Yeah, just because it's in front of their building. And because of the stereotype. And all the anti-Muslim sentiment that's been shown already.

Irrational ragheads.
Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Can you imagine how awkward that would be?

"Mom, Dad... I'm an owl."

"Wha... what?!"

"I know, I know. I..."

"Can you stop being an owl?"

"Mom, it's not a choice."

"NO SON OF MINE CAN BE AN OWL!"

"Dad! It's not even physically possible! Christ, how can you be racist against something you didn't know existed until 5 seconds ago?!"

"Do you have an owlfriend?"

"Yes Mom. His name is Damien."
NS's resident Islamist.

I'm a proud American, sweetheart. And a weeaboo and a brony.
I~ Use~ Tildes~ When~ I~ Write~

Check out my dA: http://sharpieinkedcupcakes.deviantart.com/

MEMBER OF THE COALITION OF PONYIST STATES~

EnragedMaldivians
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 01, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby EnragedMaldivians » Thu May 12, 2011 6:28 am

Al-Harakut al-Islami wrote:
Neo Art wrote:Those muslims are so vein. They probably think that sign is about them.

Yeah, just because it's in front of their building. And because of the stereotype. And all the anti-Muslim sentiment that's been shown already.

Irrational ragheads.

Neo-art was being facetious. And yeah, the person who placed that sign is a bigoted asshole.
Taking a break.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Thu May 12, 2011 6:28 am

Wilgrove wrote:Link

I LOVE how he says that the Bomb making sign isn't about the mosque, and yet....he lives right next to the mosque....could this guy make any less sense if he tried?

Also, I don't think law enforcement can act on this (and shouldn't since it IS protected speech), it's only when people decide to ACT on the speech that should be acted upon. Also, how bad is it that one of my thoughts reading this was "Wow, that's a bad stenciling job."?

Thoughts?

I think the Mosque has a very good case of defamation and/or slander against the man, and I would not fault them if they decided to pursue such a case.
Last edited by Tekania on Thu May 12, 2011 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Such heroic nonsense!

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Thu May 12, 2011 6:35 am

Tekania wrote:I think the Mosque has a very good case of defamation and/or slander

Seriously, this is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Defamation, as a legal concepts, takes two forms, "slander", which is spoken, and "libel" which is written. You can't have a case for "defamation or slander", it's like saying "this is a mammal, or a cat", slander is a form of defamation.

Secondly, it's written, so it's libel, not slander, if it's anything

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu May 12, 2011 6:36 am

Oh, so close, Neo, so close. Must have been the clouds in your coffee. Vain, not vein.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Thu May 12, 2011 6:36 am

Irrational ragheads.

Really? REALLY? The only way my reference could have been more obvious is if I started singing the bloody song.

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Thu May 12, 2011 6:37 am

Farnhamia wrote:

Oh, so close, Neo, so close. Must have been the clouds in your coffee. Vain, not vein.

if you're refering to my spelling, it's been corrected :p

Veblenia
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Veblenia » Thu May 12, 2011 6:39 am

Neo Art wrote:

Irrational ragheads.

Really? REALLY? The only way my reference could have been more obvious is if I started singing the bloody song.

Brilliant reference....a bit dated for the NSG chilluns?
Political Compass: -6.62, -7.69
"Freedom is a horizon in which we continually re-negotiate the terms of our own subjugation."
- Michel Foucault

Al-Harakut al-Islami
Minister

Founded: Dec 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Al-Harakut al-Islami » Thu May 12, 2011 6:40 am

Neo Art wrote:

Irrational ragheads.

Sorry. I...um...yeah... Sorry. :oops: :blush:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Can you imagine how awkward that would be?

"Mom, Dad... I'm an owl."

"Wha... what?!"

"I know, I know. I..."

"Can you stop being an owl?"

"Mom, it's not a choice."

"NO SON OF MINE CAN BE AN OWL!"

"Dad! It's not even physically possible! Christ, how can you be racist against something you didn't know existed until 5 seconds ago?!"

"Do you have an owlfriend?"

"Yes Mom. His name is Damien."
NS's resident Islamist.

I'm a proud American, sweetheart. And a weeaboo and a brony.
I~ Use~ Tildes~ When~ I~ Write~

Check out my dA: http://sharpieinkedcupcakes.deviantart.com/

MEMBER OF THE COALITION OF PONYIST STATES~

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Thu May 12, 2011 6:41 am

EnragedMaldivians wrote:

Irrational ragheads.

Neo-art was being facetious. And yeah, the person who placed that sign is a bigoted asshole.

Neo was paraphrasing Carly Simon. It was an obscure reference, probably why Al-Harakut al-Islami missed it.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Neo Art
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Art » Thu May 12, 2011 6:43 am

Gun Manufacturers wrote:
EnragedMaldivians wrote:

Neo was paraphrasing Carly Simon. It was an obscure reference, probably why Al-Harakut al-Islami missed it.

Since when did that song become obscure? I'm not that old but I've always known it....

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Thu May 12, 2011 6:53 am

people complain about churches in their neighborhoods all the time.

the bells are too loud. they generate too much traffic in the area. their lights are too bright.

this guy isnt wrong in being pissed that a mosque got built next door. but he is an asshole for putting up a sign like that.
whatever

Lordieth
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 18, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Thu May 12, 2011 6:54 am

What a justified and reasonable way to deal with a neighbourly dispute.

Libel is different to slander. Libel is easier to prove for one thing, so I hope he does have a case put against him.

Clear cut case of racial stereotyping I think. His motives are the issue, not his right to 'free speech'. People also have the right not to be racially discriminated. The two shouldn't be seen as mutually exclusive, as it simplifies what is essentially a grey area issue.

His rights aren't the only rights in question.

If he has a complaint then he should do it through legal means. A bit hypocritical to attack the rights of others when he feels his has been infringed.
Last edited by Lordieth on Thu May 12, 2011 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

New Rogernomics
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Thu May 12, 2011 6:59 am

After seeing the tourist traps in NY and doing some shopping I got bored. Interesting place, but only for the short time. As for the case at hand, its a clear case of religious discrimination, the equivalent of having a sign pointing to an atheist club saying 'Atheists are evil', wait, that already exists in popular culture. Give him a fine and move on. :eyebrow:
Herald (Vice-Delegate) of Lazarus
"Solidarity forever..."
Hoping for Peace in Israel and Palestine
  • Former First Citizen (PM) of Lazarus
  • Former Proedroi (Minister) of Foreign Affairs of Lazarus
  • Former Lazarus Delegate (Humane Republic of Lazarus, 2015)
  • Minister of Culture & Media (Humane Republic of Lazarus)
  • Foreign Minister of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Senator of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Interior Commissioner of Lazarus (Pre-People's Republic of Lazarus)
  • At some point a member of the Grey family...then father vanished...
  • Foreign Minister of The Last Kingdom (RIP)
  • ADN:DSA Rep for Eastern Roman Empire
  • Honoratus Servant of the Holy Land (Eastern Roman Empire)
  • UN/WA Delegate of Trans Atlantice (RIP)

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Thu May 12, 2011 7:01 am

Neo Art wrote:
Tekania wrote:I think the Mosque has a very good case of defamation and/or slander

Seriously, this is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Defamation, as a legal concepts, takes two forms, "slander", which is spoken, and "libel" which is written. You can't have a case for "defamation or slander", it's like saying "this is a mammal, or a cat", slander is a form of defamation.

Secondly, it's written, so it's libel, not slander, if it's anything

I stand corrected then...

I think the Mosque has a very good case of libel.
Such heroic nonsense!

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Thu May 12, 2011 7:37 am

Neo Art wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:

Since when did that song become obscure? I'm not that old but I've always known it....

It's not like it's a recent release, it came out in 1972 (a year before I was born). Also, it's not played often on the radio (in fact, I don't remember when the last time I heard it played on the radio, and I listen to the radio a lot at work).
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Flameswroth
Senator

Founded: Sep 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Flameswroth » Thu May 12, 2011 8:01 am

Well, this isn't the first time I've seen people use their signs, stencils and yards to make public their opinions on something in the area. I'm not sure that so much makes him a jerk in and of itself, if having the opinion itself does not do so.

Even so, if a neighbor put up a sign saying, 'Flameswroth rapes minority babies' or something because they didn't like me, that isn't exactly nice either...
Czardas wrote:Why should we bail out climate change with billions of dollars, when lesbians are starving in the streets because they can't afford an abortion?

Reagan Clone wrote:What you are proposing is glorifying God by loving, respecting, or at least tolerating, his other creations.

That is the gayest fucking shit I've ever heard, and I had Barry Manilow perform at the White House in '82.

UCUMAY
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby UCUMAY » Thu May 12, 2011 10:07 am

Dazchan wrote:Not being familiar with US law, couldn't the mosque use the fact that he's accusing them of making bombs to bring about a charge of libel/slander? Surely that's not protected by free speech...

That they might be able to do.
The Proclaimed Psycho on NSG
About me
I may be young, and that's okay. Since age does not always bring wisdom. I may be stubborn to the point of stupidity; but at least I fight for my beliefs. I may be fooled by a lie; but I can then say I trusted. My heart may get broken however, then I can say I truly loved. With all this said I have lived. :D

I'm politically syncretic so stop asking. :)
My political and social missions

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Thu May 12, 2011 10:44 am

Dazchan wrote:Not being familiar with US law, couldn't the mosque use the fact that he's accusing them of making bombs to bring about a charge of libel/slander? Surely that's not protected by free speech...

I would say yes... Free speech rights only applied to government restriction of speech... It does not absolve someone of the civil legal liability of said speech... Someone is perfectly free to stand in front of my office with signs attempting to lie to people that I am a baby-rapist... However that is no protection against the lawsuit I will bring upon them for defamation.
Such heroic nonsense!

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Thu May 12, 2011 11:31 am

It is moments like these, I wish we held the original interpretation of the Bill of Rights. That they are restrictions on the federal government, not explicit rights to the people.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu May 12, 2011 12:42 pm

Mushet wrote:He should be allowed to do it, but he's either a dumbass or a troll, probably the fromer

Why should he be allowed?

Is the claim true? Are they making bombs?

If not, he's lying, at the very least. Probably criminally.
I identify as
a problem

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General