NATION

PASSWORD

Putting a price on love

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kashyr
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kashyr » Thu May 05, 2011 7:11 pm

Wilgrove wrote:Or go on Craigslist.

I'm not sure that level of desperation is possible.
Alter Ego of Cyber Utopia

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Thu May 05, 2011 7:15 pm

Kashyr wrote:
Wilgrove wrote:Or go on Craigslist.

I'm not sure that level of desperation is possible.

You'd be surprised.

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Thu May 05, 2011 7:17 pm

Considering that both parties give consent in this, I have no problem with this.
Who knows? They might even end up truly falling in love.
Under New Management since 8/9/12

Czardas
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 25, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Thu May 05, 2011 7:25 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:With each post ITT, I get less and less sure I even understand why you're arguing this in the first place, let alone understanding what standard you use to make being presentable equivalent to paying for attention/sex.

Well, 1. I am interested in seeing how people do explain the difference between spending massive amounts on dating (albet indirectly) vs. just paying for the attention.

Note "indirectly".

I mean when you are going to a club you're not going just to find a date. Sure, that might be your primary intent when going there but it is also to a great degree a social bonding thing. Music's capacity to form bonds is well documented (actually I have a paper on that :<), there will probably be alcohol which stimulates dopamine and etc, dancing hence serotonin and so forth, and you will generally be surrounded by people as opposed to sitting around at home on your butt clicking buttons on a box with moving pictures transmitted via variations in an electron stream across its surface. Dating is inherently social. Observing people directly to find out if you want to meet them gives you the full picture: what they look like (>60%), what they sound like (~30%), what they actually say (<10%). You get pheromones. Regardless of perfume, you can smell fear and emotions and whatnot and will instinctively stay away from people who look dangerous or unpleasant and gravitate towards people who are confident and stuff.

Idrc how well this lines up with my earlier arguments. Basically reducing dating to "shiny things go in, boobies come out" ignores all the additional factors that really make dating what it is. This site takes the "gamey" approach to dating and removes many of its natural disadvantages (i.e. real-world interaction), all in the interests of tradition. I've explained elsewhere why I think that tradition is bad.
30 | she/her | USA | ✡︎ | ☭ | ♫

I have devised a truly marvelous signature, which this textblock is too small to contain

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu May 05, 2011 7:26 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Thoughts, NSG?

Godamnit, someone stole my idea for a website. *Goes into a rampage*
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Vettrera
Senator

Founded: Dec 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vettrera » Thu May 05, 2011 7:28 pm

Yes I know this will sound weird but I do put a mental price tag on people. I value people, and can put a monetary amount on it. I can't put a price on love though, to me love is when you'd take a bullet for someone without a secnod thought. This site seems lime it would end up like Craigslist rather than eharmonyq
||International Achievements||
"In Search of That Which Cannot Be Seen"

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Thu May 05, 2011 7:30 pm

Czardas wrote:
NERVUN wrote:Well, 1. I am interested in seeing how people do explain the difference between spending massive amounts on dating (albet indirectly) vs. just paying for the attention.

Note "indirectly".

I mean when you are going to a club you're not going just to find a date. Sure, that might be your primary intent when going there but it is also to a great degree a social bonding thing. Music's capacity to form bonds is well documented (actually I have a paper on that :<), there will probably be alcohol which stimulates dopamine and etc, dancing hence serotonin and so forth, and you will generally be surrounded by people as opposed to sitting around at home on your butt clicking buttons on a box with moving pictures transmitted via variations in an electron stream across its surface. Dating is inherently social. Observing people directly to find out if you want to meet them gives you the full picture: what they look like (>60%), what they sound like (~30%), what they actually say (<10%). You get pheromones. Regardless of perfume, you can smell fear and emotions and whatnot and will instinctively stay away from people who look dangerous or unpleasant and gravitate towards people who are confident and stuff.

Idrc how well this lines up with my earlier arguments. Basically reducing dating to "shiny things go in, boobies come out" ignores all the additional factors that really make dating what it is. This site takes the "gamey" approach to dating and removes many of its natural disadvantages (i.e. real-world interaction), all in the interests of tradition. I've explained elsewhere why I think that tradition is bad.

Ok, taking that though... wouldn't that also apply to matchmaking services, speed dating, and so on?
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Thu May 05, 2011 8:24 pm

I wouldn't bid on a date with a stranger.

That said, my relationship has cost non-trivial amounts of money, mostly for travel (flights to Japan aren't cheap) and soon, some food expenses for a while. I'm happy to pay this though.

There is no cow level
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby There is no cow level » Thu May 05, 2011 11:53 pm

I don't agree with the concept. When I think about it, I get a paranoia that it will lead to some members of the "fairer" gender to exploit the site to make a quick buck. From my experience, the dates that were most successful were the ones that I spent the least amount of money on. (first date/hangout with current gf consisted of nothing more than walking around the city from 6pm to 3am doing nothing at all, I even bought a pizza and she just sat there and watched me eat it lol. Total amount spent on her at the end of it $1 on an arizona ice tea)
Economic Left/Right: -6.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92

██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀ FEAR THE FAIL WHALE

There is no cow level
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby There is no cow level » Thu May 05, 2011 11:54 pm

Mosasauria wrote:Considering that both parties give consent in this, I have no problem with this.
Who knows? They might even end up truly falling in love.

But only if the guy pays her enough money
Economic Left/Right: -6.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92

██████████████▄▐█▄▄▄▄█▌
██████▌▄▌▄▐▐▌███▌▀▀██▀▀
████▄█▌▄▌▄▐▐▌▀███▄▄█▌
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████▀ FEAR THE FAIL WHALE

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Fri May 06, 2011 5:53 am

There is no cow level wrote:I don't agree with the concept. When I think about it, I get a paranoia that it will lead to some members of the "fairer" gender to exploit the site to make a quick buck. From my experience, the dates that were most successful were the ones that I spent the least amount of money on. (first date/hangout with current gf consisted of nothing more than walking around the city from 6pm to 3am doing nothing at all, I even bought a pizza and she just sat there and watched me eat it lol. Total amount spent on her at the end of it $1 on an arizona ice tea)

Yes. The blame rests entirely on women for men spending money on them and of course, now that someone has invented the concept, every woman is going to jump on board. That's how the female hive-mind works. :roll:

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Fri May 06, 2011 5:58 am

This is hideous. Sure, Traditional Values dictate that women have no desires of their own and that men are supposed to view women as objects to be purchased and used, but you're not supposed to say so out loud! You're supposed to, like, make trivial and ultimately worthless gestures (like getting down on one knee before you purchase your woman-servant) and everyone is supposed to pretend that you're total equals while she does all the housework and childcare and provides you with blowjobs on demand.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Kashyr
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kashyr » Fri May 06, 2011 6:13 am

Bottle wrote:This is hideous. Sure, Traditional Values dictate that women have no desires of their own and that men are supposed to view women as objects to be purchased and used, but you're not supposed to say so out loud! You're supposed to, like, make trivial and ultimately worthless gestures (like getting down on one knee before you purchase your woman-servant) and everyone is supposed to pretend that you're total equals while she does all the housework and childcare and provides you with blowjobs on demand.

To be honest it would really be a step forward to stop hiding behind all this 'romance' bullshit and go back to the good old days of slave auctioning. At least everybody knew where they stood.
Last edited by Kashyr on Fri May 06, 2011 9:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

New Rogernomics
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Fri May 06, 2011 6:14 am

$10,000.
Herald (Vice-Delegate) of Lazarus
"Solidarity forever..."
Hoping for Peace in Israel and Palestine
  • Former First Citizen (PM) of Lazarus
  • Former Proedroi (Minister) of Foreign Affairs of Lazarus
  • Former Lazarus Delegate (Humane Republic of Lazarus, 2015)
  • Minister of Culture & Media (Humane Republic of Lazarus)
  • Foreign Minister of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Senator of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Interior Commissioner of Lazarus (Pre-People's Republic of Lazarus)
  • At some point a member of the Grey family...then father vanished...
  • Foreign Minister of The Last Kingdom (RIP)
  • ADN:DSA Rep for Eastern Roman Empire
  • Honoratus Servant of the Holy Land (Eastern Roman Empire)
  • UN/WA Delegate of Trans Atlantice (RIP)

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Fri May 06, 2011 6:25 am

Kashyr wrote:
Bottle wrote:This is hideous. Sure, Traditional Values dictate that women have no desires of their own and that men are supposed to view women as objects to be purchased and used, but you're not supposed to say so out loud! You're supposed to, like, make trivial and ultimately worthless gestures (like getting down on one knee before you purchase your woman-servant) and everyone is supposed to pretend that you're total equals while she does all the housework and childcare and provides you with blowjobs on demand.

To be honest it would really be a really a step forward to stop hiding behind all this 'romance' bullshit and go back to the good old days of slave auctioning. At least everybody knew where they stood.

Uh... slave auctioning was usually for slaves, not romantic partners. If anything, parents arranging marriages was more the "good old days" before romance.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Fri May 06, 2011 6:32 am

NERVUN wrote: Thoughts, NSG?

thats not love.

but, it could lead to love as long as you dont mind limiting yourself to pretty women who are willing to sell themselves to strangers or men who were content to buy your affections.
whatever

Stefannica
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 21, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Stefannica » Fri May 06, 2011 8:23 am

I, can't and won't put a price on 'love'. And with regard to the rest of the matter, I personally don't approve.
=================================
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
United Kingdom of Stefannica
=================================

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Fri May 06, 2011 8:28 am

Kashyr wrote:

To be honest it would really be a really a step forward to stop hiding behind all this 'romance' bullshit and go back to the good old days of slave auctioning. At least everybody knew where they stood.

I must admit, I certainly would prefer if people stopped trying to tell me that it's "romantic" to adhere to patriarchal traditions which directly reflect the belief that men are meant to own women as property.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Fri May 06, 2011 8:31 am

Both are consenting in this situation, and as such I do not see the problem...
Under New Management since 8/9/12

The Congregationists
Ambassador

Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Congregationists » Fri May 06, 2011 8:50 am

Kashyr wrote:To be honest it would really be a really a step forward to stop hiding behind all this 'romance' bullshit and go back to the good old days of slave auctioning. At least everybody knew where they stood.

A step forward? No. But romance has been an utter and complete failure and it's time we faced and acknowledged that.
•Criticism of sentimental love, marriage, sex, religion, and rituals.
•Valuing reason over emotion and imagination
•Ironic, indirect, and impersonal (objective) representation of ideas.
•Uncompromising criticism of romantic illusions.
•Advocacy of pragmatism and disapproval of idealism and ideology.
•Especially vehement opposition to neo-liberalism, social democracy, communism, libertarianism and feminism.
•Satirisation of irrational and whimsical attitudes of the so-called creative class.
•Criticism of social, political, cultural, and moral customs and manners of the contemporary society.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Fri May 06, 2011 8:57 am

The Congregationists wrote:
Kashyr wrote:To be honest it would really be a really a step forward to stop hiding behind all this 'romance' bullshit and go back to the good old days of slave auctioning. At least everybody knew where they stood.

A step forward? No. But romance has been an utter and complete failure and it's time we faced and acknowledged that.

utter and complete?

no

iffy, yes.

but buying brides is not going to be a step up. maybe arranged marriages. but as americans i dont see it being better. we are people who are not inclined to put up with easily negated bad decisions. a bought bride is just as likely to walk away when "daddy" stops spending extra money on her.
whatever

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Fri May 06, 2011 9:06 am

Lackadaisical2 wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:I don't know how you date, but generally I don't pay people for them

^this.

If the girl isn't willing to go dutch, she isn't worth the effort.

Seconded, I don't pay for her experience. Maybe only the first drink (because my female friends really told me that's still expected :? ).

Also, if you want to have sex, why do people use dates for that? Just doing random hook ups in bars seem to work fine, no?

Now, if you want to get into a relationship you need a bit more than the random hook up, but nothing stops a random hook up from blossoming into a relationship through dates (and other ways).

On the topic: I go dutch, but I do try to dress nicely when going on a date. I do not equate dressing up nice to paying her for a date. Because if I did that I'd probably still dress up nicely. Also I consider myself interesting enough to not have to really buy her attention.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Kashyr
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kashyr » Fri May 06, 2011 9:09 am

Dakini wrote:

Uh... slave auctioning was usually for slaves, not romantic partners. If anything, parents arranging marriages was more the "good old days" before romance.

Touche.

Bottle wrote:I must admit, I certainly would prefer if people stopped trying to tell me that it's "romantic" to adhere to patriarchal traditions which directly reflect the belief that men are meant to own women as property.

One of the reasons I never intend on getting married. I don't particularly want to own anybody.
Last edited by Kashyr on Fri May 06, 2011 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Congregationists
Ambassador

Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Congregationists » Fri May 06, 2011 9:18 am

Ashmoria wrote:utter and complete?

no

iffy, yes.

but buying brides is not going to be a step up. maybe arranged marriages. but as americans i dont see it being better. we are people who are not inclined to put up with easily negated bad decisions. a bought bride is just as likely to walk away when "daddy" stops spending extra money on her.

As the basis of adult relationships, yes romance has failed. It creates extremely unrealistic expectations that just end up leaving people bitter and dissapointed in the end. And people are starting to lose faith now. Just look at the tone of popular culture today compared to that of fifty, or even twenty five years ago and you'll see what I mean.
•Criticism of sentimental love, marriage, sex, religion, and rituals.
•Valuing reason over emotion and imagination
•Ironic, indirect, and impersonal (objective) representation of ideas.
•Uncompromising criticism of romantic illusions.
•Advocacy of pragmatism and disapproval of idealism and ideology.
•Especially vehement opposition to neo-liberalism, social democracy, communism, libertarianism and feminism.
•Satirisation of irrational and whimsical attitudes of the so-called creative class.
•Criticism of social, political, cultural, and moral customs and manners of the contemporary society.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Fri May 06, 2011 10:14 am

The Congregationists wrote:

Just because your romances are failures doesn't mean you get to presume to speak for anyone else in this matter.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General