NATION

PASSWORD

First Republican Debate Tonight

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Jedi8246
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi8246 » Thu May 05, 2011 8:12 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Jedi8246 wrote:That is just plain ignorance. I laugh. :lol:
That is nothing like what Ron Paul wants.

Ron Paul wants states to have virtual total independence from the Feds when making their laws.

Not total independence. Just the appropriate amount. Keep the Fed out of matters that should convern them.
Official Member of the Fall of Gods RP Council
Conservative Morality wrote:When you call Bieber feminine, you insult all women.

Agadar wrote:Next thing you know, God turns out to be some weird green space monster with tentacles and a monocle.

Khadgar wrote:Oddly enough, a lot of people who are plotting to harm other people aren't really interested in legal niceties.
Rank #87 in World Cup
Factbook
Jedi8246 is a far-right social libertarian. He is also a non-interventionist and somewhat culturally conservative. Jedi8246's scores (from 0 to 10):
Economic issues: +9.53 right
Social issues: -7.91 libertarian
Foreign policy: -7.32 non-interventionist
Cultural identification: +0.92 conservative

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Thu May 05, 2011 8:12 pm

Terra Agora wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Ron Paul wants states to have virtual total independence from the Feds when making their laws.

Wrong.

Source?
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

Terra Agora
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Agora » Thu May 05, 2011 8:13 pm

Wamitoria wrote:
Terra Agora wrote:Wrong.

Source?

Source that he does?
AKA Mercator Terra
My Beliefs
“If a tyrant is one man and his subjects are many, why do they consent to their own enslavement?”- Étienne De La Boétie
“It’s too bad that stupidity isn’t painful.” - Anton Szandor LaVey
"Liberty is the mother, not the daughter, of order." Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
"Freedom" awakens your rage against everything that is not you; "egoism" calls you to joy over yourselves, to self-enjoyment."-Max Stirner
" A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years." - Lynsander Spooner
"The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind." - H.P. Lovecraft
"Morality is a device for controlling the gullible with words." - L A Rollins

Jedi8246
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Jedi8246 » Thu May 05, 2011 8:18 pm

Terra Agora wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:Source?

Source that he does?

:clap:
Official Member of the Fall of Gods RP Council
Conservative Morality wrote:When you call Bieber feminine, you insult all women.

Agadar wrote:Next thing you know, God turns out to be some weird green space monster with tentacles and a monocle.

Khadgar wrote:Oddly enough, a lot of people who are plotting to harm other people aren't really interested in legal niceties.
Rank #87 in World Cup
Factbook
Jedi8246 is a far-right social libertarian. He is also a non-interventionist and somewhat culturally conservative. Jedi8246's scores (from 0 to 10):
Economic issues: +9.53 right
Social issues: -7.91 libertarian
Foreign policy: -7.32 non-interventionist
Cultural identification: +0.92 conservative

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu May 05, 2011 8:20 pm

Jedi8246 wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Ron Paul wants states to have virtual total independence from the Feds when making their laws.

Not total independence. Just the appropriate amount. Keep the Fed out of matters that should convern them.

Which is just about everything from his point of view.
Last edited by The Parkus Empire on Thu May 05, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Thu May 05, 2011 8:23 pm

Terra Agora wrote:Wait your telling me he doesn't ask chairsatan probing questions? Lol hes the only one who does.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV6MElf8xpo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s2rWQxDK8c

The first one is in March the second is from awhile ago.

Fuck me, no he does not. He babbles on about shit like 'what is money' & 'why don't you think gold is money'. It's not a store of value RP get over it.

And I'll give you an example of him throwing softballs. Back in 2008 just after Lehman collapsed, the Fed started to pull liquidity from the markets intentionally. Normally under those sort of circumstances a central bank should be adding liquidity like a motherfucker, because well, that's sort of the main reason for having them. But not that time. Was Ron Paul aware of this nugget? Yes he was. Did he ask Chairsatan why he was actively trying to crash the markets? No he did not.

Or has he ever really asked about the Feds purchase of GSE bonds? Again no. And here's the thing, buying those as part of QEI was of extremely dubious legality since they aren't actually backed by the full faith and credit of the US, so it's likely that the Fed has gone off the reservation here. But any questions about that from Ron Paul? Nope. Deafening silence is all you hear from him.

Then there's the whole Maiden Lane fiasco. Or the dodgy swap lines. Or Brian Sack's little operation chaos down at the NY Fed. Never mentioned. I could go on.

He knows about all of those things, and never ever brings them up. Instead it's the usual: "Interest rates are too low, gold is money blah blah blah blah".

If Ron Paul was really concerned about the Fed (and there is a lot to be concerned about to be honest - thank you A. Greenscam), he'd mention at least one or two of these things at least once in a while. And if he really wanted to end the Fed. he'd be nailing the Chairsatan every time he saw him with this kind of stuff.

Ron Paul is a team player. His appointed role is court jester in this little drama is all. But don't confuse him with a serious person.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Augarundus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Augarundus » Thu May 05, 2011 8:26 pm

Lacadaemon wrote:If Ron Paul was really concerned about the Fed

You know he's a member of the Austrian School, right?
Libertarian Purity Test Score: 160
Capitalism is always the answer. Whenever there's a problem in capitalism, you just need some more capitalism. If the solution isn't capitalism, then it's not really a problem. If your capitalism gets damaged, you just need to throw some capitalism on it and get on with your life.

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Thu May 05, 2011 8:31 pm

Augarundus wrote:
Lacadaemon wrote:If Ron Paul was really concerned about the Fed

So what? He still isn't bothered by the Fed. He's actually one of its biggest defenders.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Terra Agora
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Agora » Thu May 05, 2011 8:31 pm

Lacadaemon wrote:
Terra Agora wrote:Wait your telling me he doesn't ask chairsatan probing questions? Lol hes the only one who does.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV6MElf8xpo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s2rWQxDK8c

The first one is in March the second is from awhile ago.

Fuck me, no he does not. He babbles on about shit like 'what is money' & 'why don't you think gold is money'. It's not a store of value RP get over it.

And I'll give you an example of him throwing softballs. Back in 2008 just after Lehman collapsed, the Fed started to pull liquidity from the markets intentionally. Normally under those sort of circumstances a central bank should be adding liquidity like a motherfucker, because well, that's sort of the main reason for having them. But not that time. Was Ron Paul aware of this nugget? Yes he was. Did he ask Chairsatan why he was actively trying to crash the markets? No he did not.

Or has he ever really asked about the Feds purchase of GSE bonds? Again no. And here's the thing, buying those as part of QEI was of extremely dubious legality since they aren't actually backed by the full faith and credit of the US, so it's likely that the Fed has gone off the reservation here. But any questions about that from Ron Paul? Nope. Deafening silence is all you hear from him.

Then there's the whole Maiden Lane fiasco. Or the dodgy swap lines. Or Brian Sack's little operation chaos down at the NY Fed. Never mentioned. I could go on.

He knows about all of those things, and never ever brings them up. Instead it's the usual: "Interest rates are too low, gold is money blah blah blah blah".

If Ron Paul was really concerned about the Fed (and there is a lot to be concerned about to be honest - thank you A. Greenscam), he'd mention at least one or two of these things at least once in a while. And if he really wanted to end the Fed. he'd be nailing the Chairsatan every time he saw him with this kind of stuff.

Ron Paul is a team player. His appointed role is court jester in this little drama is all. But don't confuse him with a serious person.

I've heard him talk about the liquidity crisis before I just dont remember when.
He wrote an article on the GSE http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul282.html
Tbh now that I think about it your right on the other things. I dont know the reasoning in why he wouldn't call them out on it. Maybe he think's he's to old to do something like this and that its easier just to spread "the message." Either or I'll look into it a little.
AKA Mercator Terra
My Beliefs
“If a tyrant is one man and his subjects are many, why do they consent to their own enslavement?”- Étienne De La Boétie
"Freedom" awakens your rage against everything that is not you; "egoism" calls you to joy over yourselves, to self-enjoyment."-Max Stirner
" A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years." - Lynsander Spooner

Terra Agora
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Agora » Thu May 05, 2011 8:35 pm

Lacadaemon wrote:
Augarundus wrote:

So what? He still isn't bothered by the Fed. He's actually one of its biggest defenders.

Lukewarm critic not a defender.

He can do more (like to said) but I think that either A) he'd rather talk about monetary policy B) with limited time to talk thats the main problem he see's or C) he would just press that subject until chairsatan cracks.
Last edited by Terra Agora on Thu May 05, 2011 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA Mercator Terra
My Beliefs

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Thu May 05, 2011 8:39 pm

I'll most likely read the Wiki article and watch Jon Stewart and Colbert talk about it tomorrow.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Thu May 05, 2011 8:43 pm

Terra Agora wrote:I've heard him talk about the liquidity crisis before I just dont remember when.
He wrote an article on the GSE http://www.lewrockwell.com/paul/paul282.html

When he talks about the liquidity crisis it's a general thing to do with the overall 'credit crunch' - and he normally puts it in terms of 'if we had proper money and interest rates it wouldn't have happened'. What I'm talking about is the Fed operating directly contrary to its intended function, with damaging consequences to the wider economy, for reasons unknown. If he's really an anti fed champion, he'd dig into that, don't you think?

Likewise his stuff about GSEs. He's opposed to the concept of Fannie/freddie - which is fair enough. But I'm talking about the Fed conducting market operations outside it's legal authority. Again, that's the sort of stuff an anti-fed crusader would want to bring up don't you think?

Tbh now that I think about it your right on the other things. I dont know the reasoning in why he wouldn't call them out on it. Maybe he think's he's to old to do something like this and that its easier just to spread "the message." Either or I'll look into it a little.

Look into it: These and other questions about his fiscal probity have been asked before. And the answers aren't very flattering to his public persona.

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Thu May 05, 2011 8:45 pm

Terra Agora wrote:Lukewarm critic not a defender.

He can do more (like to said) but I think that either A) he'd rather talk about monetary policy B) with limited time to talk thats the main problem he see's or C) he would just press that subject until chairsatan cracks.

I used to think that he was a lukewarm defender too. But then I realize he's set himself up as the center of a sham opposition movement where he can make sure it's not effective. Why else team with Barney Frank (another one that talks out of both sides of his mouth) for a toothless audit the Fed bill.

He's had ample chance to nail Chairsatan and make him crack, and he's never even tried.

Delator
Minister

Founded: Nov 29, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Delator » Thu May 05, 2011 11:30 pm

North Americax wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:
States should have the right to ban abortion. Derp.

He'd have it so states could throw you in prison for not going to church.

you are a liberal

You're a towel.

---

These "debates" are amusing. Three of the five aren't even current office holders.

How does that speak to their electability if they can't even "stick around" on their home turf? :eyebrow:
Last edited by Delator on Thu May 05, 2011 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Those that seek to place heel upon the throat of Liberty will fall to the cry of Freedom!

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Fri May 06, 2011 1:06 am

Quickly misread as "First Republican Date Tonight," was wondering what it was about Republicans that would make it so special.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Fri May 06, 2011 5:05 am

Augarundus wrote:2) No, he isn't a theocrat, and he believes that violates the Bill of Rights.

You're right, he's not a Theocrat... Theocrats believe the government to be headed by God... Paul is a Dominionist, he had hired many Christian Reconstructionists to work on his staff. Dominionism (Christian Reconstructionism) believe it is the duty of the civil government to enforce God's laws... though unlike a Theocracy they do not believe God directly rules over the nation, rather it is the nations duty to rule towards God.... Which means little, as the practical effect is the same and just as abhorrent to our principals of Liberty... That's one of two reasons I can't stand RP, the other being he's a racist bastard.
Such heroic nonsense!

Terra Agora
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Agora » Fri May 06, 2011 5:52 am

Tekania wrote:
Augarundus wrote:2) No, he isn't a theocrat, and he believes that violates the Bill of Rights.

You're right, he's not a Theocrat... Theocrats believe the government to be headed by God... Paul is a Dominionist, he had hired many Christian Reconstructionists to work on his staff. Dominionism (Christian Reconstructionism) believe it is the duty of the civil government to enforce God's laws... though unlike a Theocracy they do not believe God directly rules over the nation, rather it is the nations duty to rule towards God.... Which means little, as the practical effect is the same and just as abhorrent to our principals of Liberty... That's one of two reasons I can't stand RP, the other being he's a racist bastard.

:palm:
Actually he believes its civil duty to uphold the constitution.
AKA Mercator Terra
My Beliefs

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Fri May 06, 2011 6:07 am

Terra Agora wrote:
Tekania wrote:

:palm:

Yes, in so far as to prevent the federal government from interfering in the state's duty to enforce Christian Moral Law. You can claim otherwise, but unlike you I actually listen to the guy and to who he chooses as advisors. I'm not mind bogglingly stupid. I've been fighting against Theonomists and Dominionists most of my life, I recognize them.
Such heroic nonsense!

New Rogernomics
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Fri May 06, 2011 6:11 am

Tekania wrote:
Terra Agora wrote: :palm:

Yes, in so far as to prevent the federal government from interfering in the state's duty to enforce Christian Moral Law. You can claim otherwise, but unlike you I actually listen to the guy and to who he chooses as advisors. I'm not mind bogglingly stupid. I've been fighting against Theonomists and Dominionists most of my life, I recognize them.

He's the most sane Republican, in fact I would consider voting for him if I could. But then I probably wouldn't vote, I don't really like the Republicans or Democrats, independents are the best bet.
Herald (Vice-Delegate) of Lazarus
"Solidarity forever..."
Hoping for Peace in Israel and Palestine
  • Former First Citizen (PM) of Lazarus
  • Former Proedroi (Minister) of Foreign Affairs of Lazarus
  • Former Lazarus Delegate (Humane Republic of Lazarus, 2015)
  • Minister of Culture & Media (Humane Republic of Lazarus)
  • Foreign Minister of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Senator of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Interior Commissioner of Lazarus (Pre-People's Republic of Lazarus)
  • At some point a member of the Grey family...then father vanished...
  • Foreign Minister of The Last Kingdom (RIP)
  • ADN:DSA Rep for Eastern Roman Empire
  • Honoratus Servant of the Holy Land (Eastern Roman Empire)
  • UN/WA Delegate of Trans Atlantice (RIP)

Terra Agora
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Terra Agora » Fri May 06, 2011 6:24 am

Tekania wrote:
Terra Agora wrote: :palm:

Which is in the constitution. If a state wants to ban abortion (moral law crap etc) they can.

I've been fighting pick unicorns with rainbow wings,I recognize them. My grand pappy fought them. I still fight them. My son will fight them as well.

EDIT: I found that darn Christian!
He's one of those damn economist Christians trying to take over the world! You were right all along!
Last edited by Terra Agora on Fri May 06, 2011 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
AKA Mercator Terra
My Beliefs

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Fri May 06, 2011 6:29 am

I'm pleasantly surprised. Fox actually asked substantive questions.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri May 06, 2011 6:38 am

Buffett and Colbert wrote:I'm pleasantly surprised. Fox actually asked substantive questions.

Get any substantive answers back, did they?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Fri May 06, 2011 6:45 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:I'm pleasantly surprised. Fox actually asked substantive questions.

Get any substantive answers back, did they?

No, but Fox can't help if the participants are dumbshit losers.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Fri May 06, 2011 8:48 am

Lacadaemon wrote:Back in 2008 just after Lehman collapsed, the Fed started to pull liquidity from the markets intentionally. Normally under those sort of circumstances a central bank should be adding liquidity like a motherfucker, because well, that's sort of the main reason for having them. But not that time. Was Ron Paul aware of this nugget? Yes he was. Did he ask Chairsatan why he was actively trying to crash the markets? No he did not.

Because Ron Paul supports things like that! He views it as correcting a financial bubble, and he views almost any injection of liquidity ever as setting a dangerous moral hazard. It's hardly surprising.

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Fri May 06, 2011 8:50 am

Terra Agora wrote:But Ron Paul is one Austrian "economists" who have no idea what a ARIMA is.
;)

Eh? I don't demand that any economist be an econometrician.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General