NATION

PASSWORD

Driving within the posted speed limit.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Auman
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Father Knows Best State

Driving within the posted speed limit.

Postby Auman » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:23 pm

Do you do that? I just got back from a camping trip the other day and I drove the limit the entire way back. For three hours it was a constant parade of people getting angry at me for only driving 100kph. Funniest part of it was, the guys who got the angriest were the ones I saw later down the road getting ticketed by the RCMP. So, the title of the thread is the question... Are you a responsible driver, or are you retarded?
IBNFTW local 8492

Saint Clair Island
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Driving within the posted speed limit.

Postby Saint Clair Island » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:24 pm

People always seem to get mad at me for driving down the highway at twenty miles per hour and braking whenever I go down hills. Don't they realize how dangerous cars are?!
Signatures are for losers.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:24 pm

No, I don't.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Auman
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Auman » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:26 pm

Aren't you guys just precious. :3
IBNFTW local 8492

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:27 pm

I'm a responsible driver who only drives the speed limit when it's safe to do so.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Druidville
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 25, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Druidville » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:28 pm

Paying speeding tickets costs money, so I drive carefully. And over the limit when I can.
CAVUTO: Well, his approval and America`s regard has gone up in those (Muslim) countries. He says and they say-

KOCH: Isn`t that nice? Did they stop trying to kill us?

Dolbri
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dolbri » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:29 pm

I always drive exactly on the limit, or just a tiny bit faster. Most people here do the same. It's such a strong habit that I get really annoyed when someone does 65 when the limit is 70: he's going too slow, but just fast enough that I can't overtake him without going too fast myself.
Last edited by Dolbri on Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world." ~Schopenhauer
Project Gutenberg needs your help

Zergbosha
Secretary

Founded: Aug 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Zergbosha » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:32 pm

I honestly have to say I rarely go over the speed limit and get kind of annoyed when people honk at me for obeying the law. People around here have a tendency to go 20mph over the speed limit and cause a dangerous situation for other drivers, which is uncool

The Imperial Navy
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Imperial Navy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:33 pm

Given how expensive maintaining a car has become, I don't even bother. I take the bus.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:34 pm

Auman wrote:Do you do that? I just got back from a camping trip the other day and I drove the limit the entire way back. For three hours it was a constant parade of people getting angry at me for only driving 100kph. Funniest part of it was, the guys who got the angriest were the ones I saw later down the road getting ticketed by the RCMP. So, the title of the thread is the question... Are you a responsible driver, or are you retarded?

Wow, they actually pull them over? I seldom see that here in the States. Here, the speed limit is considered a minimum speed.

That said, on the highway, I'll go 5 miles over. In town, I try to stay at the limit.
Last edited by Farnhamia on Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:35 pm

I drive with the flow of traffic. If traffic is going 10 mph above the speed limit, so am I. If traffic is going 10 mph below, so am I.
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?
Farnhamia wrote:four-letter word "Rules"

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:35 pm

I drive 5-10 over the speed limit on the highway, 0-5 over on residential roads, or on the highway with cops in presence and exactly 25 in a school zone when the lights are flashing.
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:36 pm

I only drive like a maniac off-road. It's one thing significantly(or even slightly) increase your risks by going faster than the speed limit or ignoring other rules of the road but doing so around other cars increases their risk too. It takes a real asshole to decide what is an acceptable risk for everyone around them. I wonder how people would react if I juggled knives in an elevator full of people. :p
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:36 pm

Zergbosha wrote:I honestly have to say I rarely go over the speed limit and get kind of annoyed when people honk at me for obeying the law. People around here have a tendency to go 20mph over the speed limit and cause a dangerous situation for other drivers, which is uncool

same here.
I identify as
a problem

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:37 pm

I tend to drive the speed limit. It's for practical reasons (personal safety, and personal economics).
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:39 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:I only drive like a maniac off-road. It's one thing significantly(or even slightly) increase your risks by going faster than the speed limit or ignoring other rules of the road but doing so around other cars increases their risk too. It takes a real asshole to decide what is an acceptable risk for everyone around them. I wonder how people would react if I juggled knives in an elevator full of people. :p

They would freak out and tackle you immediately. And take your knives away.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:39 pm

Der Teutoniker wrote:I tend to drive the speed limit. It's for practical reasons (personal safety, and personal economics).

That's actually I good reason why I drive quite safely within (most of the signposted) speedlimits (around here) - if I'm on a road that says I can drive 65 or 70... well, that's 10 or 15 mph too high for me to get optimal fuel-efficiency.
I identify as
a problem

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:39 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:I only drive like a maniac off-road. It's one thing significantly(or even slightly) increase your risks by going faster than the speed limit or ignoring other rules of the road but doing so around other cars increases their risk too. It takes a real asshole to decide what is an acceptable risk for everyone around them. I wonder how people would react if I juggled knives in an elevator full of people. :p

How good a juggler are you? ;)
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

Auman
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Auman » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:40 pm

That's just a good analogy, man.
IBNFTW local 8492

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:40 pm

Sibirsky wrote:

But I'm an excellent knife juggler and the risk is minimal. Honestly. ;)

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:41 pm

Sibirsky wrote:I drive 5-10 over the speed limit on the highway, 0-5 over on residential roads, or on the highway with cops in presence and exactly 25 in a school zone when the lights are flashing.

If I'm working I do 7-10 mph over the speed limit whether it's highway or residential, the only exception to that is in school zones. In school zones I do the limit.
I f I'm not working a drive a bit slower.
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:41 pm

Der Teutoniker wrote:

How good a juggler are you? ;)

Pretty good. *hides scars* 8)

Hunter S. Thompson

Parthenon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Parthenon » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:41 pm

I still have another year before I can get another ticket (NC PFJ) so I rarely go higher than 10 over. Usually stick to around 5 over.
Last edited by Parthenon on Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Parthenese Confederation
Parthenon
Intergallactic Hell
The Bleeding Roses
West Parthenon
Former GDODAD/Metus Member

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:42 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:

But I'm an excellent knife juggler and the risk is minimal. Honestly. ;)

I believe you. They won't however.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:46 pm

Dyakovo wrote:In school zones I do the limit.

This really bothers me, a local road right near my house is 50, but it's also a school zone, so when the lights are flashing (starts at 7:30) the speed limit is 30 mph. So, occasionally if I'm a bit late coming home in the morning (I work overnights) I catch the yellows, which is fine, I slow down very amply, and follow very closely the 30 mph speelimit for it's entire duration. Everyone else it seems figures 35 can't hurt (after the electric speedomoter at the start) and accelerates to full speed again immediately after the school, though the school zone lasts another half block.

There are a lot of freakin' children nearby, assholes, have some consideration. :palm:

I also have a bit of road rage... but it mostely involves yelling.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General