NATION

PASSWORD

The M Word

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Mon May 02, 2011 8:45 pm

it spills precious bodily fluids, thereby letting the terrorists win.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Mon May 02, 2011 8:48 pm

Free Soviets wrote:it spills precious bodily fluids, thereby letting the terrorists win.

Does it still count as masturbation if you use Osama's skull?
Such heroic nonsense!

Unhealthy2
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Unhealthy2 » Mon May 02, 2011 8:52 pm

Free Soviets wrote:it spills precious bodily fluids, thereby letting the terrorists win.

Wait, aren't the terrorists even more prudish about sex than us? Oh wait, logic is for commies.
Cool shit here, also here.

Conservation of energy, momentum, and angular momentum, logical consistency, quantum field theory, general respect for life and other low entropy formations, pleasure, minimizing the suffering of humanity and maximizing its well-being, equality of opportunity, individual liberty, knowledge, truth, honesty, aesthetics, imagination, joy, philosophy, entertainment, and the humanities.

Threlizdun
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Threlizdun » Mon May 02, 2011 8:55 pm

Masturbation is highly addictive and can lead to loss of interest in other activities and possibly losing sleep by staying up late at night to engage in it. I don't view it as wrong at all though, and those problems can certainly be avoided or overcome. Hell, Taoists monks are encouraged to masturbate to avoid temptation. I view it as a completely normal and healthy practice, though like anything, it can become addictive.
EDIT: Oh, and how could I forget Monty Python's explanation http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUspLVStPbk&feature=related
Last edited by Threlizdun on Mon May 02, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
She/they

Communalist, Social Ecologist, Bioregionalist

This site stresses me out, so I rarely come on here anymore. I'll try to be civil and respectful towards those I'm debating on here. If you don't extend the same courtesy then I'll probably just ignore you.

If we've been friendly in the past and you want to keep in touch, shoot me a telegram

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Mon May 02, 2011 9:15 pm

Never saw a problem with it. Don't get why I can't do it in the privacy of my home.

Tekania wrote:

Does it still count as masturbation if you use Osama's skull?

No, thats necrophilia. I don't recommend it you get some really bad stds from it.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Unhealthy2
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unhealthy2 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:05 am

I guess no one has anything.

Conservation of energy, momentum, and angular momentum, logical consistency, quantum field theory, general respect for life and other low entropy formations, pleasure, minimizing the suffering of humanity and maximizing its well-being, equality of opportunity, individual liberty, knowledge, truth, honesty, aesthetics, imagination, joy, philosophy, entertainment, and the humanities.

Sunny Marionette
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sunny Marionette » Tue May 03, 2011 10:08 am

I have no problem with it, but as a female I don't like to do it. It's just awkward in my opinion. Besides, why be alone when you can make it into a partner activity? ;)
Formerly known as WWIIHG
Add 2357 to post count and three years to the age.
Religion: Zen Buddhist
Political Affiliation: None
Political Beliefs:Liberal most of the time

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:One time in India, I managed to draw an elaborate battle scene in the sand with my piss. Granted, my friends aided me in this matter, but we finished with Darth Vader force choking a random Jedi. It was one of the greatest achievements of our lives.

Cosmopoles
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopoles » Tue May 03, 2011 10:08 am

So long as you aren't addicted to it and don't inisist that other people watch you without their asking to see it.

Probably not a good idea to let it replace sex if you're in a relationship.

Sunny Marionette
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sunny Marionette » Tue May 03, 2011 10:18 am

Cosmopoles wrote:So long as you aren't addicted to it and don't inisist that other people watch you without their asking to see it.

Probably not a good idea to let it replace sex if you're in a relationship.

I've only met one person that preferred mastrubation to sex, and that was online, so who knows... :unsure:

Sex is just generally better. Maybe it's the personal connection or something.
Formerly known as WWIIHG
Add 2357 to post count and three years to the age.
Religion: Zen Buddhist
Political Affiliation: None
Political Beliefs:Liberal most of the time

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:One time in India, I managed to draw an elaborate battle scene in the sand with my piss. Granted, my friends aided me in this matter, but we finished with Darth Vader force choking a random Jedi. It was one of the greatest achievements of our lives.

Soheran
Minister

Founded: Jun 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Soheran » Tue May 03, 2011 10:53 am

Unhealthy2 wrote:I guess no one has anything.

Try some natural law theorists--Elizabeth Anscombe, John Finnis, Robert George. Don't try NSG for a serious defense of any conservative philosophical position.

I mean, I can give you a very rough outline. The argument goes something like this:

1. Our bodies are not mere instruments, but an essential part of ourselves: hence, we cannot regard them merely as objects to be used for the sake of our mental sensations, because their good is an inseparable part of our good and well-being. (If you smash my car, my property is harmed--but if you break my arm, you have assaulted me.)

2. The bodily good of sex is fulfilled only in penile-vaginal intercourse (within marriage): only this kind of sex grants due respect to the bodily complementarity of men and women, and to the fact that bodily function of sex, procreation, can only be fulfilled together with another person (and specifically one of the opposite sex.)

3. Masturbation, then, is self-objectifying in that it uses the human sexual faculty merely as a means for pleasure, without regard to its innate unitive and procreative nature; as such, it disintegrates the person (by treating a genuine part of ourselves as merely a tool for our pleasure) and amounts to harming oneself.

Unhealthy2
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unhealthy2 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:00 am

Soheran wrote:Try some natural law theorists--Elizabeth Anscombe, John Finnis, Robert George. Don't try NSG for a serious defense of any conservative philosophical position.

I mean, I can give you a very rough outline. The argument goes something like this:

1. Our bodies are not mere instruments, but an essential part of ourselves: hence, we cannot regard them merely as objects to be used for the sake of our mental sensations, because their good is an inseparable part of our good and well-being. (If you smash my car, my property is harmed--but if you break my arm, you have assaulted me.)

2. The bodily good of sex is fulfilled only in penile-vaginal intercourse (within marriage): only this kind of sex grants due respect to the bodily complementarity of men and women, and to the fact that bodily function of sex, procreation, can only be fulfilled together with another person (and specifically one of the opposite sex.)

3. Masturbation, then, is self-objectifying in that it uses the human sexual faculty merely as a means for pleasure, without regard to its innate unitive and procreative nature; as such, it disintegrates the person (by treating a genuine part of ourselves as merely a tool for our pleasure) and amounts to harming oneself.

I reject 2. entirely. It's trying to prove an assumption with an assumption.

This argument also seems to be saying that using anything in a way different from it's so-called inherent nature (which seems to be something our natural law friends get to conveniently make up on the spot) is wrong. I fail to see why using something in a different way than it's "inherent function," whatever the fuck that means (hint: It doesn't mean ANYTHING.) is bad. I mean, it all hinges on this extremely vague bullshit notion of "innate nature" that the natural law user can change on a whim to mean whatever they want. It's nothing but rhetorical flourish.

Co Za Asy
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Co Za Asy » Tue May 03, 2011 11:08 am

I don't masturbation is wrong. It's completely normal and it's 10 times safer than having sex, even with a condom. What if you needed to get some relief? Would you just ask a random person to have sex?

Every person has a different opinion though... Just stating mine...

Soheran
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Soheran » Tue May 03, 2011 11:15 am

Unhealthy2 wrote:I reject 2. entirely. It's trying to prove an assumption with an assumption.

Me too, but I'm not sure it's as peremptory as you think. The account of the good of sex given by Finnis and George ends up looking a little bizarre, but it's more than just inserting their conclusion at the beginning. (Of course, that may be an accurate psychological account of its origin, but it's not charitable to speculate.)

This argument also seems to be saying that using anything in a way different from it's so-called inherent nature (which seems to be something our natural law friends get to conveniently make up on the spot) is wrong. I fail to see why using something in a different way than it's "inherent function," whatever the fuck that means (hint: It doesn't mean ANYTHING.) is bad. I mean, it all hinges on this extremely vague bullshit notion of "innate nature" that the natural law user can change on a whim to mean whatever they want. It's nothing but rhetorical flourish.

I think this criticism, at least as applied to the "new" natural law theorists like Finnis and George, rests upon a misunderstanding. By "nature" they do not mean "nature" in the sense of the laws of physics; they mean "essence", and they mean it in a normative sense. So: an unjust law fails to appreciate the intrinsic orientation of the law toward the common good--which means nothing more than that the business of legislation, considered normatively, is about securing the common good. Likewise, according to the argument, masturbation (and homosexuality, and other kinds of sexual activity they disapprove of) fails to appreciate the good of marital sex, and that's why it is "unnatural": not because it doesn't happen (empirically) all the time among humans and non-human animals. This is a perfectly coherent (if a bit archaic) usage of the word "natural", and one that can be very useful given an ethical approach that finds the type and character of acts to be an important consideration.

What is necessary to defeat the argument is to contest their normative judgments about bodily goods.They prefer to think that the problem with liberals is their rejection of 1., and that if anyone rejects the instrumentalization of the body they will naturally come to appreciate 2. and 3., but this isn't the case.
Last edited by Soheran on Tue May 03, 2011 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unhealthy2
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unhealthy2 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:20 am

Soheran wrote:I think this criticism, at least as applied to the "new" natural law theorists like Finnis and George, rests upon a misunderstanding. By "nature" they do not mean "nature" in the sense of the laws of physics; they mean "essence", and they mean it in a normative sense. So: an unjust law fails to appreciate the intrinsic orientation of the law toward the common good--which means nothing more than that the business of legislation, considered normatively, is about securing the common good. Likewise, according to the argument, masturbation (and homosexuality, and other kinds of sexual activity they disapprove of) fails to appreciate the good of marital sex, and that's why it is "unnatural": not because it doesn't happen (empirically) all the time among humans and non-human animals.

What is necessary to defeat the argument is to contest their normative judgments about bodily goods.They prefer to think that the problem with liberals is their rejection of 1., and that if anyone rejects the instrumentalization of the body they will naturally come to appreciate 2. and 3., but this isn't the case.

But where is there argument that marital sex is the only good? Further, why can't someone enjoy both marital sex and masturbation? How does having the one make someone incapable of enjoying the other? The entire thing just strikes me as a list of very bizarre and unfounded axioms used to explain away behaviors that they don't like as being immoral. It strikes me as rationalization, rather than reason.

Soheran
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Soheran » Tue May 03, 2011 11:36 am

Unhealthy2 wrote:But where is there argument that marital sex is the only good?

You should really actually read them: I don't buy this argument, I'm not sure I have all the details right, and I am not going to defend it very far. But it's not that marital sex is the only good in the space of goods, it's that other attempts at sexual goods necessarily fail to appreciate the unitive character of human sexual faculties.

So, there are many ways (factually) to use sex organs, and many of them bring about pleasure, but only a small subset orient the act toward the genuine bodily good of procreative-type sex. The sex organs are not complete unless they are united with the sex organs of a person of the opposite sex; as such, their good cannot be realized except in that context. To use them sexually otherwise is to use them in a kind of counterfeit sex. If there were some bodily function the sex organs (together) could perform by themselves, or with a partner in a different way, matters might be different--but there isn't.

(Of course, you could argue that masturbation is in fact such a function. I think this is reasonable. But I'm also not making this argument, and I'm not sure what the response of the people who do would be--perhaps that pleasure is not a good in itself, so it doesn't count.)

Further, why can't someone enjoy both marital sex and masturbation? How does having the one make someone incapable of enjoying the other?

Lying is contrary to truth even though it does not disable me from truth-telling. Likewise, masturbation (the argument goes) is anti-marital even though it does not disable me from marrying. It's not the consequences of the act, it's the character (hence the nature) of the act.

Leaving aside that point, they might add that our capacity to appreciate the good of marital sex (and marriage generally) is weakened insofar as we accept masturbation as a legitimate activity: it runs the risk of making our attitude toward sex within marriage also essentially masturbatory. (This is similarly their problem with same-sex marriage: it undermines people's capacity to understand what "real" marriage is.)
Last edited by Soheran on Tue May 03, 2011 11:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Tue May 03, 2011 11:44 am

Conserative Morality wrote:
Wikipedia and Universe wrote:Excessive masturbation is insane. Savage Love said even on a really horny day you should max out at 10 TOPS. However as for chafing it depends on the method.

TEN? Jesus Christ, how can anyone masturbate that often? :blink:

I guess it can get addictive.
I've probably gone to about seven in one day before.

Unhealthy2
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unhealthy2 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:06 pm

Soheran wrote:You should really actually read them: I don't buy this argument, I'm not sure I have all the details right, and I am not going to defend it very far. But it's not that marital sex is the only good in the space of goods, it's that other attempts at sexual goods necessarily fail to appreciate the unitive character of human sexual faculties.

And the use of language other than Wittgensteinian language fails to appreciate the inherent propositional function of language. Thus, using language in any way other than to communicate tautologies or matters of fact is wrong. This includes literature, poetry, song lyrics, and anything else that doesn't succeed at using language purely for propositional logic.

So, there are many ways (factually) to use sex organs, and many of them bring about pleasure, but only a small subset orient the act toward the genuine bodily good of procreative-type sex. The sex organs are not complete unless they are united with the sex organs of a person of the opposite sex; as such, their good cannot be realized except in that context. To use them sexually otherwise is to use them in a kind of counterfeit sex. If there were some bodily function the sex organs (together) could perform by themselves, or with a partner in a different way, matters might be different--but there isn't.

But this STILL requires the assumption that sex organs have to be used that way. It's just asserting and asserting without much in the way of justification. It also makes the extremely strange and completely ludicrous assumption that all things have exactly one purpose and using them for any other purpose is bad, somehow. I mean, it kinda makes engineering the ultimate sin.

Also, doesn't this make male urination immoral, since the penis is being used for a purpose other than reproduction?

Lying is contrary to truth even though it does not disable me from truth-telling. Likewise, masturbation (the argument goes) is anti-marital even though it does not disable me from marrying. It's not the consequences of the act, it's the character (hence the nature) of the act.

Not every use of something for one purpose instead of another is "against" that other purpose. Is using a capacitor as a filter contrary to using a capacitor to generate uniform electric fields? Does one use inherently degrade the other use?

Leaving aside that point, they might add that our capacity to appreciate the good of marital sex (and marriage generally) is weakened insofar as we accept masturbation as a legitimate activity: it runs the risk of making our attitude toward sex within marriage also essentially masturbatory. (This is similarly their problem with same-sex marriage: it undermines people's capacity to understand what "real" marriage is.)

So it's bad because it leads you to think that marriage isn't the only good place to have sex? That's begging the question.

It's bad because it makes you think of all sex as masturbation?

1. Do they have proof for that?

2. Even if it DID, why would that be bad unless masturbation was bad itself?

Still begging the question.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Tue May 03, 2011 12:10 pm

Whenever masturbation's the discussion topic du jour, I think of Mark Twain's speech on the topic.

http://www.textfiles.com/etext/AUTHORS/ ... nanism.txt
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Tue May 03, 2011 12:19 pm

Wikipedia and Universe wrote:
Tekania wrote:Masturbation isn't wrong, however excessive masturbation is wrong, as it can lead to painful chaffing.
Excessive masturbation is insane. Savage Love said even on a really horny day you should max out at 10 TOPS. However as for chafing it depends on the method.

Holy fuck, people bother to do it ten times in a day ever?

Most I've done is four, and that was on a day where I hadn't worked out in about four or five days and my testosterone was through the roof.

Needless to say none of those four times did it hurt.
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Tue May 03, 2011 12:21 pm

Ten times in one day...shit, I couldn't do that when I was fourteen.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Tue May 03, 2011 12:25 pm

Sunny Marionette wrote:I have no problem with it, but as a female I don't like to do it. It's just awkward in my opinion. Besides, why be alone when you can make it into a partner activity? ;)

Many, many reasons leap to mind - not least being that having to find a partner every time you want to orgasm is just insane.
I identify as
a problem

Lordieth
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 18, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Tue May 03, 2011 12:34 pm

If only we could harness all this rapid kinetic energy..not quite an emission free power source though.
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

Flameswroth
Senator

Founded: Sep 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Flameswroth » Tue May 03, 2011 12:35 pm

Well I can think of a few reasons that it could be seen as 'bad', but not necessarily 'wrong'...

For one, it plays into the instant gratification mentality people have. Cultivating a relationship to intercourse levels takes time and effort, while loading up some hot action on the web and whipping it out is far easier. It's a very self-centered action, and the end result can and sometimes is a complete disinterest in trying to form romantic relationships, which in time erodes your ability to do so, even if you tried. Is that a problem with masturbation or with human nature, however? I guess that's up for debate.

The other problem is one I've experienced myself - your body gets so used to it, you start to 'Jones' for it. I remember visiting my parents for about a week last year. I didn't feel like it was right to do it in their house, in their sheets and whatnot, now that I did not live there. So I held off, and let me tell you...I rolled around at night unable to sleep for HOURS. You get this weird like...I dunno, it's not like a leg being asleep but it spurs the same writhing and attempts to quench the feeling. It's like your underwear gets bunched all up around your junk (even though it's not), and you can't get comfortable. BUT, is that a problem with excessive masturbation or masturbation in general? Again, up for debate.
Czardas wrote:Why should we bail out climate change with billions of dollars, when lesbians are starving in the streets because they can't afford an abortion?

Reagan Clone wrote:What you are proposing is glorifying God by loving, respecting, or at least tolerating, his other creations.

That is the gayest fucking shit I've ever heard, and I had Barry Manilow perform at the White House in '82.

Vecherd
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vecherd » Tue May 03, 2011 12:39 pm

If you masturbate to much your penis might get red and painful.
[align=center]Frie markeder Frie folk
[spoiler=Political Stuff]Left/Right: 8.12
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -10.00

Wolny Kraj
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2010
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Wolny Kraj » Tue May 03, 2011 12:39 pm

It is harmless if done naturally and only comes with benefits for the person doing it, unless of course they're doing it so much that they hurt themselves. There's no reason to think it's bad. As the bible thumpers can't provide a passage for me that says it's bad, even as a strongly believing Christian, I personally think it's fine.
Bernie Sanders for the NBA All Star Game '16

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General