NATION

PASSWORD

Why Are People So Critical About Christian Beliefs

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Alixanderia
Envoy

Founded: Apr 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alixanderia » Sun May 29, 2011 3:43 pm

JTorvik wrote:
Secular Sweden wrote:Make up our own religion? I propose; ATHEISM.

Our creed;
"There is no God - and Richard Dawkins is his prophet!"

Oh really, so you believe that once upon a time there was nothing and then it exploded into mostly hydrogen which somehow turned into dust which then made planets and lightning zapped the water turning it into a mixture of 2 percent amino acids and 98 percent life inhibiting toxins and that mixture of nonliving particles somehow became living and then evolved into humans.

And you believe that somehow a sentient being exists from nothing and created a planet to sustain life forms, and then made a man out of dirt and woman out of his rib? Then he gave them free will, but told them not to eat a piece of fruit because it would make them intelligent? And then, even though he was all-seeing, he ignored the fact that he knew an angel would turn into a snake with legs and talk the rib-woman into eating the fruit, then acted surprised and punished them? And then he pulled the legs off the snake and kicks the people out of a garden and later flooded the world because he didn't like how people were living, even though he told them they could do whatever? And then he impregnated a virgin with himself so he could be born as himself as a human, talk to himself, refer to himself as father, and then allow himself to be killed? And then he caused himself to become a cosmic Jewish zombie who ascended into heaven, but heaven isn't a physical place? And then he "changed" even though he knew he was going to change and think differently? And also, he allowed that former-angel/snake to plant evidence to try to make people not believe in him, and then when people don't believe him, or commits any of his thousands of ridiculous sins in a finite time, he punishes you for eternity and considers it a fair trade? And also even though he will fuck you up for not believing in him, he refuses to give proof of himself, just so he can LOL because you aren't gullible? And then, you consider this guy to be a good dude?
Sounds legit.

Draconian Races
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Draconian Races » Sun May 29, 2011 9:04 pm

Alixanderia wrote:
JTorvik wrote:

Oh really, so you believe that once upon a time there was nothing and then it exploded into mostly hydrogen which somehow turned into dust which then made planets and lightning zapped the water turning it into a mixture of 2 percent amino acids and 98 percent life inhibiting toxins and that mixture of nonliving particles somehow became living and then evolved into humans.

And you believe that somehow a sentient being exists from nothing and created a planet to sustain life forms, and then made a man out of dirt and woman out of his rib? Then he gave them free will, but told them not to eat a piece of fruit because it would make them intelligent? And then, even though he was all-seeing, he ignored the fact that he knew an angel would turn into a snake with legs and talk the rib-woman into eating the fruit, then acted surprised and punished them? And then he pulled the legs off the snake and kicks the people out of a garden and later flooded the world because he didn't like how people were living, even though he told them they could do whatever? And then he impregnated a virgin with himself so he could be born as himself as a human, talk to himself, refer to himself as father, and then allow himself to be killed? And then he caused himself to become a cosmic Jewish zombie who ascended into heaven, but heaven isn't a physical place? And then he "changed" even though he knew he was going to change and think differently? And also, he allowed that former-angel/snake to plant evidence to try to make people not believe in him, and then when people don't believe him, or commits any of his thousands of ridiculous sins in a finite time, he punishes you for eternity and considers it a fair trade? And also even though he will fuck you up for not believing in him, he refuses to give proof of himself, just so he can LOL because you aren't gullible? And then, you consider this guy to be a good dude?
Sounds legit.

Yep, He is. Though it wasnt cuz itd make them intelligent, it was so they wouldnt know what they shouldnt. And He saw the serpent coming, but He didnt intervene because it would stop free will.

According to the Dake's commentary on the Bible, heaven is a literal planet too...

Theres more. But yeap, He is a legit, good guy.
Last edited by Draconian Races on Sun May 29, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Militant Judeao-Christian Crusader Religious State
WARNING: I am very conservative, and my posts may offend. I am not a troll, but I speak my truly held beliefs, offensive or not.
Political Compass Results:
Economic Left/Right: 5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 5.79

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Sun May 29, 2011 10:05 pm

JTorvik wrote:
Secular Sweden wrote:Make up our own religion? I propose; ATHEISM.

Our creed;
"There is no God - and Richard Dawkins is his prophet!"

not "once upon a time" 13.7 billion years ago
although it is ironic to see a religious fellow disparage fairy tales.

empty space spontaneously produces matter even today, and is easily repeatable in a lab, its called the Casimir effect

the big bang is not an explosion

stars turn hydrogen into dust, they are doing it right now, and not somehow, through nuclear fusion

gravity makes planets

you don't even need lightning RNA just pops up, all you need is weak periodic heat source (aka the sun)
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/ ... cleotides/
and since RNA replicates on its own it's already a very primitive form of life, or at least evolving protolife, calling something that copies itself using the same mechanism our own replication is based on, a non-living particle is just disingenuous

and yes humans, all humans, are the product of evolution
genetics, anatomy, biochemistry, behavior, and geology all back this up.
if the truth bursts your little self important bubble, too bad.
Last edited by Sociobiology on Sun May 29, 2011 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Alixanderia
Envoy

Founded: Apr 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alixanderia » Sun May 29, 2011 10:44 pm

Draconian Races wrote:
Alixanderia wrote:
Sounds legit.

Yep, He is. Though it wasnt cuz itd make them intelligent, it was so they wouldnt know what they shouldnt. And He saw the serpent coming, but He didnt intervene because it would stop free will.

According to the Dake's commentary on the Bible, heaven is a literal planet too...

Theres more. But yeap, He is a legit, good guy.

Even if he was real, I'd not worship him. He sounds like the biggest d-bag ever.

Azarea
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Azarea » Sun May 29, 2011 11:23 pm

:palm: :palm: You people really hate christians..
"Zeno is all-knowing. Zeno sees everything. Zeno feels everything. Zeno is the only true God."

Proud Christian. Deal with it
Generation 28 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)
This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination
(\/)
(-_-)
(")(")

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Sun May 29, 2011 11:32 pm

Azarea wrote::palm: :palm: You people really hate christians..

Though I can't speak for the rest of us atheists, I certainly don't hate Christians as people. I appreciate the fact that they genuinely want to do good, in most cases. It's just that their version of 'good' is often utterly twisted, irrational and just plain wrong. It's one of those "Love the sinner, hate the sin" point of views. I'm sure you've heard of them.

Azarea
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Azarea » Sun May 29, 2011 11:34 pm

Avenio wrote:

Though I can't speak for the rest of us atheists, I certainly don't hate Christians as people. I appreciate the fact that they genuinely want to do good, in most cases. It's just that their version of 'good' is often utterly twisted, irrational and just plain wrong. It's one of those "Love the sinner, hate the sin" point of views. I'm sure you've heard of them.

Well considering I am christian, I have. Yes I do share the "Love the Sinner Hate the Sin" view to an extent. How is our version of good twisted?
"Zeno is all-knowing. Zeno sees everything. Zeno feels everything. Zeno is the only true God."

Generation 28 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)
This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination
(\/)
(-_-)
(")(")

Dododecapod
Minister

Founded: Nov 02, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Dododecapod » Sun May 29, 2011 11:40 pm

No, not really.
But I think the world would be a better place without religion, and I can't trust anyone who truly believes, since their moral code is fundamentally compromised.
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Paranoia XP
Secretary

Founded: Apr 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Paranoia XP » Sun May 29, 2011 11:41 pm

Dododecapod wrote:

No, not really.
But I think the world would be a better place without religion, and I can't trust anyone who truly believes, since their moral code is fundamentally compromised.

Hey. I'm religious.

My moral code is fundamentally compromised.

Draconian Races
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Draconian Races » Sun May 29, 2011 11:43 pm

Paranoia XP wrote:
Dododecapod wrote:
No, not really.

Hey. I'm religious.

Actually, my moral code says "No compromise." >_>
WARNING: I am very conservative, and my posts may offend. I am not a troll, but I speak my truly held beliefs, offensive or not.

Dododecapod
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dododecapod » Sun May 29, 2011 11:45 pm

Paranoia XP wrote:
Dododecapod wrote:
No, not really.

Hey. I'm religious.

Glad you agree.
Now, what are you going to do about it?
GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Azarea
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Azarea » Sun May 29, 2011 11:45 pm

Dododecapod wrote:

No, not really.

My moral code is compromised....Mind telling me how?

(\/)
(-_-)
(")(")

Dododecapod
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dododecapod » Sun May 29, 2011 11:54 pm

Azarea wrote:
Dododecapod wrote:
No, not really.

Because instead of being based upon fundamental concepts or ideals that can be expressed, debated, considered and either accepted or revised, religiously based morality is based on "Beacause he said so."
As a result, any believer can be made to modify or even abandon all forms of morality should they be in receipt of information that "He" is now saying something else. Religious morality is based on a fundamentally changeable source.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Sun May 29, 2011 11:55 pm

Azarea wrote:Well considering I am christian, I have. Yes I do share the "Love the Sinner Hate the Sin" view to an extent. How is our version of good twisted?

Where to begin? For example, look at gay marriage. A lot of the arguments against it concern tr 'sanctity' of marriage as a union of a man and a women, but what they're arguing against isn't really sacred at all; the institute of marriage that the LGBTQ community wants is the piece of paper signed by a bureaucrat that shares household expenses amongst two people, not the actual sacrament by a priest in a church somewhere. (ie the part that God, if he existed, would care about)

Furthermore, the whole notion of legislating morality seem to be part of a much larger contradiction in values at the heart of Christianity; the duality of the free will of humanity and the individual responsibility of all of us to take care of our own sins and the particularly Puritan values of most N. American Christians who see fit to violate the 'God-given' free will of others by banning things like alcohol in the 20's and gay marriage today.

Or, we could go into the whole issue of creationism being simultaneously being somehow able to be empirically proven (An a posteriori argument) and beyond scrutiny (An a priori argument), and, by consequence is suitable to be taught in school.

Azarea
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Azarea » Sun May 29, 2011 11:57 pm

Dododecapod wrote:
Azarea wrote:My moral code is compromised....Mind telling me how?

Because instead of being based upon fundamental concepts or ideals that can be expressed, debated, considered and either accepted or revised, religiously based morality is based on "Beacause he said so."
As a result, any believer can be made to modify or even abandon all forms of morality should they be in receipt of information that "He" is now saying something else. Religious morality is based on a fundamentally changeable source.

Yeahhhhhh. I may not be a the level of thinking that philosophers are, so I cannot argue, but I am pretty sure people will refute the arguments without a "because eh said so"

(\/)
(-_-)
(")(")

Dododecapod
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Dododecapod » Mon May 30, 2011 12:12 am

Azarea wrote:
Dododecapod wrote:

Yeahhhhhh. I may not be a the level of thinking that philosophers are, so I cannot argue, but I am pretty sure people will refute the arguments without a "because eh said so"

Some do, and that's cool. But any time someone says "Because it says so in Ecclesiastes/The Bible/The Koran/The Bhagavad-Gita/Book of your choice" all they're really saying is "because god said that's what I'm supposed to think."
The end result of such "thinking" (or more like lack therof) is the all too common occurance of "He's god's prophet, giving us God's word, so hwhen he tells me to go and kill and torture and butcher, I'm gonna do it!" throughout history.
Hard to trust someone who can decide tomorrow that someone's word doesn't matter if given to an "unbeliever".

Duffensmirtchz
Civilian

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Duffensmirtchz » Mon May 30, 2011 12:14 am

Because people are ignorent.

Octabrinaland
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Octabrinaland » Mon May 30, 2011 12:18 am

It's Oolon Colluphid's fault.
Now everyone's got some criticism for Christians.
Everyone in the Galaxy.
Call me 'Octa'

M. Night Shyamalan is actually a walrus! O_o

METAL GEAR OTAKU / DARK HORSE FANBOY / CONSPIRACY THEORIST / VIRTUOSO / SHROOM ENTHUSIAST

Your mother is a female. Fact. Bitch.

Making little to no sense since 1999

Myrensis
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 05, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Myrensis » Mon May 30, 2011 12:31 am

JTorvik wrote:If Christianity is false then why did 11 out of the 12 disciples give theirnlives for the cause if it was a lie? Remember it is documented that those men died for Christianity.

People have died for Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Shinto and Sikhism as well, does that mean they are all true religions?

Or is this the usual special pleading, where when people die for other religions they're obviously just deluded, but when they die for yours it's proof of its validity.

Voltronica
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Voltronica » Mon May 30, 2011 12:45 am

Myrensis wrote:
JTorvik wrote:If Christianity is false then why did 11 out of the 12 disciples give theirnlives for the cause if it was a lie? Remember it is documented that those men died for Christianity.

People have died for Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Shinto and Sikhism as well, does that mean they are all true religions?

Or is this the usual special pleading, where when people die for other religions they're obviously just deluded, but when they die for yours it's proof of its validity.

I would die for a Twinkie if it was the last one ever.
I am a bit of a pervert so get over it...or under it whichever you prefer ;)
[unclaimed space]
Serial RPist since Aug 2009!!
| Music Culture of Voltronica | FanT FB (UC)|
Phishing with worms is fun! I caught a catphish.
Quoets

Voltronica
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Voltronica » Mon May 30, 2011 12:46 am

Azarea wrote:
Dododecapod wrote:
No, not really.

Figure it out yourself.
I am a bit of a pervert so get over it...or under it whichever you prefer ;)
[unclaimed space]
Serial RPist since Aug 2009!!
| Music Culture of Voltronica | FanT FB (UC)|
Phishing with worms is fun! I caught a catphish.
Quoets

-St George
Senator

Founded: Apr 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby -St George » Mon May 30, 2011 1:35 am

Draconian Races wrote:
Paranoia XP wrote:
Hey. I'm religious.

And that's why people like you are the biggest problem with Christianity. People all too willing to misinterpret and even rewrite the Bible in order to justify bigotry. People who ignore the words of Jesus in Mathew 5 when tells us to love everyone as our neighbour. People who turn up at the funerals of gays and other so-called 'decadents' and act disgustingly and disgracefully. People who use the Bible as a weapon of bigotry and reinforce the sterotype of Christians being hateful apologists for genocide, rape, murder and any number of other crimes.

Your 'moral code' is not Christian in the slightest, and should be challenged by Christians and non-Christians alike.
[19:12] <Amitabho> I mean, a little niggling voice tells me this is impossible, but then my voice of reason kicks in
[21:07] <@Milograd> I totally endorse the unfair moderation.
01:46 Goobergunch I could support StGeorge's nuts for the GOP nomination
( Anemos was here )
Also, Bonobos

Draconian Races
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Draconian Races » Mon May 30, 2011 3:13 am

-St George wrote:
Draconian Races wrote:

And that's why people like you are the biggest problem with Christianity. People all too willing to misinterpret and even rewrite the Bible in order to justify bigotry. People who ignore the words of Jesus in Mathew 5 when tells us to love everyone as our neighbour. People who turn up at the funerals of gays and other so-called 'decadents' and act disgustingly and disgracefully. People who use the Bible as a weapon of bigotry and reinforce the sterotype of Christians being hateful apologists for genocide, rape, murder and any number of other crimes.

Your 'moral code' is not Christian in the slightest, and should be challenged by Christians and non-Christians alike.

And it annoys me greatly when people assume that loving = allowance. When they use Matthew 5 and pretend that it invalidates every single other thing in the Bible.

-St George
Senator

Founded: Apr 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby -St George » Mon May 30, 2011 3:19 am

Draconian Races wrote:
-St George wrote:And that's why people like you are the biggest problem with Christianity. People all too willing to misinterpret and even rewrite the Bible in order to justify bigotry. People who ignore the words of Jesus in Mathew 5 when tells us to love everyone as our neighbour. People who turn up at the funerals of gays and other so-called 'decadents' and act disgustingly and disgracefully. People who use the Bible as a weapon of bigotry and reinforce the sterotype of Christians being hateful apologists for genocide, rape, murder and any number of other crimes.

And it annoys me greatly when people assume that loving = allowance. When they use Matthew 5 and pretend that it invalidates every single other thing in the Bible.

Because, of course, the central fucking message of the New Testament is irrelevant when confronted with Leviticus, a book of guidelines for Jewish priests, or out of context quotes from Paul. :roll:
[19:12] <Amitabho> I mean, a little niggling voice tells me this is impossible, but then my voice of reason kicks in
[21:07] <@Milograd> I totally endorse the unfair moderation.
01:46 Goobergunch I could support StGeorge's nuts for the GOP nomination
( Anemos was here )
Also, Bonobos

Draconian Races
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Draconian Races » Mon May 30, 2011 3:23 am

-St George wrote:
Draconian Races wrote:

Because, of course, the central fucking message of the New Testament is irrelevant when confronted with Leviticus, a book of guidelines for Jewish priests, or out of context quotes from Paul. :roll:

Except it isnt the central message. Forgiveness is.
Oh, and yeah, forgiveness isnt allowance :o surprise surprise.

If ya noticed, Christ forgave people their sins... and told them not to sin anymore. That wasnt "OK you're going to heaven, so sin away."

Just because we are loving, doesnt mean we should approve or tolerate evil.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General