NATION

PASSWORD

How Would a System Breakdown Happen?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:59 pm

Paddy O Fernature wrote:Hyperbole much?

If a Emp were to detonate and completely collapse America's crutch (technology) today, I would give the US three days before mass rioting at Wall Marts/Super Saves across the country brings the country to a stand still.

I mean hell, look at New O ofter Katrina and the zoo that turned into.

Emp's don't just fry in use electronics, but the replacements in storage along with the fancy workshops that would produce the replacements. Which is a fact that you seem to conveniently be forgetting.

Without outside help, you would have to basically start from scratch again.

Replacement parts do not exist, obviously. Even if they did, they're always hooked up to a power source instead of laying in warehouses.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:59 pm

TheGreatEnglish wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:It would be extremely difficult for a US breakdown to happen. We have a great deal of unity in culture, government stability, multiple levels of government each with the ability to more or less run on it's own, etc.

I'm not saying it'd be impossible... But it'd be damn difficult.

Americans are not unified, You can easily observe this in how they constantly insult each other, And hate each other, Aswell as kill each other. Also, This is a multiculturalist society, Americans are far too idiotic to hold a single culture, And race.

I insult my sister, and have disliked her at times.

Does that mean that we're not family? Besides, I do find your trolling pathetic.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:01 pm

Paddy O Fernature wrote:
Der Teutoniker wrote:
I'm pretty sure that EMP blasts not only disable all current electronics... but also all future electronics... and even bronze age, iron age, medieval, and renaissance level technology. And that's why we'd be in the stone age. 8)

Hyperbole much?

If a Emp were to detonate and completely collapse America's crutch (technology) today, I would give the US three days before mass rioting at Wall Marts/Super Saves across the country brings the country to a stand still.

Emp's don't just fry in use electronics, but the replacements in storage along with the fancy workshops that would produce the replacements. Which is a fact that you seem to conveniently be forgetting.

The fact that you're conveniently forgetting is that EMP'ing the US would be economic suicide for any nation that's actually able to do so.
I'm the Pope

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p

Paddy O Fernature
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Paddy O Fernature » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:01 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:

Replacement parts do not exist, obviously. Even if they did, they're always hooked up to a power source instead of laying in warehouses.

:palm:

Proud Co-Founder of The Axis Commonwealth - Would you like to know more?
SJW! Why? Some nobody on the internet who has never met me accused me of being one, so it absolutely MUST be true! *Nod Nod*

Vortiaganica
Senator

Founded: Jun 14, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Vortiaganica » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:02 pm

How would you transport those replacement parts?

If an airplane is involved anywhere there, then you screwed.

If a truck is involved? That depends whether the fuel stations have replacement parts for their electronic pumps etc.
The Grim Reaper in Disguise

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:02 pm

Caninope wrote:The fact that you're conveniently forgetting is that EMP'ing the US would be economic suicide for any nation that's actually able to do so.

Or that EMPs, IIRC, cause electrical surges... Which means that unhooked equipment and replacement parts will be perfectly fine.

It'd be a huge expense, sure, but not "Oh no we'll never recover" bad.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Andaluciae
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Andaluciae » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:02 pm

It Would require a really, really violent systemic shock--multiple nuclear explosions in several major population centers, for instance. HIV or Ebola goes airborne, with infection levels similar rates similar to influenza. Yellowstone erupts. India, Pakistan and/or China go for a nuclear slugfest. Aliens, invading, communicating, visiting, dead or otherwise, Donald Trump gets elected President. You know, all of the Roland Emmerich sort of things.

The thing is, modern societies aren't particularly vulnerable to collapse. They have been selected in a somewhat Darwinian fashion for their durability. You need a real serious external shock. The US is extensively hardened against catastrophe because of our dispersed government, our national size and our cultural flexibility. Europe is so interconnected that the relationships across borders make her nearly impervious. Japan and Russia have a kind of "woe is me" mindset that makes them very culturally resilient. The Arab World is capable of rebounding.

I'd be worried about China and India, but for a variety.of reasons.
FreeAgency wrote:Shellfish eating used to be restricted to dens of sin such as Red Lobster and Long John Silvers, but now days I cannot even take my children to a public restaurant anymore (even the supposedly "family friendly ones") without risking their having to watch some deranged individual flaunting his sin...

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:03 pm

Vortiaganica wrote:How would you transport those replacement parts?

If a truck is involved? That depends whether the fuel stations have replacement parts for their electronic pumps etc.

Because trucks will not obviously have any gas in them etc.
Last edited by Conserative Morality on Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortiaganica
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vortiaganica » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:03 pm

Caninope wrote:The fact that you're conveniently forgetting is that EMP'ing the US would be economic suicide for any nation that's actually able to do so.

Or that EMPs, IIRC, cause electrical surges... Which means that unhooked equipment and replacement parts will be perfectly fine.

It'd be a huge expense, sure, but not "Oh no we'll never recover" bad.

It depends.

You're forgetting the human element. I'd wager significant moneys that some large proportion of the US political population will overreact and do something unpredictable.
Last edited by Vortiaganica on Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paddy O Fernature
Postmaster-General

Postby Paddy O Fernature » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:03 pm

Caninope wrote:
Paddy O Fernature wrote:
Hyperbole much?

The fact that you're conveniently forgetting is that EMP'ing the US would be economic suicide for any nation that's actually able to do so.

Who says it has to be a nation? On a side note an asteroid near missing and skipping off the atmosphere would produce the same effect, as would a solar flare.

SJW! Why? Some nobody on the internet who has never met me accused me of being one, so it absolutely MUST be true! *Nod Nod*

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:04 pm

Vortiaganica wrote:It depends.

You're forgetting the human element. I'd wager significant moneys that some large proportion of the US political population will overreact and do something unpredictable.

I predict a curfew, the national guard, and lot of government guns on the streets.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:04 pm

Paddy O Fernature wrote:

You sir, have proven how little you know about EMP's. An EMP works by sending out an electric and magnetic pulse of energy which cause voltage overloads. This doesn't mean all electronics are fried, as you have said.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:05 pm

The abolition of bottle deposits would do it pretty quick.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:06 pm

Caninope wrote:You sir, have proven how little you know about EMP's. An EMP works by sending out an electric and magnetic pulse of energy which cause voltage overloads. This doesn't mean all electronics are fried, as you have said.

No, EMPS are magic. They destroy electronics that are not hooked up FOREVER.

Paddy O Fernature
Postmaster-General

Postby Paddy O Fernature » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:06 pm

Vortiaganica wrote:It depends.

I predict a curfew, the national guard, and lot of government guns on the streets.

And I predict that when the call goes out, 50-70% of the guard/reserves don't show up due to a varity of reasons such as unable to travel, unable to care past security of their own families, or just don't care.

Vortiaganica
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vortiaganica » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:07 pm

Vortiaganica wrote:How would you transport those replacement parts?

Because trucks will not obviously have any gas in them etc.

I'm not sure how businesses do it, I'm pretty sure they don't keep trucks with full tanks, especially in colder states, and pump fuel when the truck is leaving.

Also, I'm CERTAIN a full tank will not get a truck that far across the US. Some highways would be out of commission until fuel was widely available again.

Without electricity, foreign goods via air would not be available (Besides aircraft, a large amount of complex electronics are needed on ground), and for at least a month or two, you wouldn't be able to replace that by sea (As even when ships start to leave port with excess goods, you still have to wait for them to get there).

Although my heart really isn't in this debate, so I'll leave it to someone who cares.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:07 pm

Paddy O Fernature wrote:Who says it has to be a nation? On a side note an asteroid near missing and skipping off the atmosphere would produce the same effect, as would a solar flare.

1. I want a source on the asteroid. I also don't understand how you "skip" of the atmosphere. If you're the expert you have presented yourself as, explain that.
2. A solar flare would produce an E3 EMP. That alone wouldn't fry everything. That leads currents and can destroy transformers, but E1 EMP is what would knock out communications.
I'm the Pope

Frisivisia wrote:

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:07 pm

Paddy O Fernature wrote:Without outside help, you would have to basically start from scratch again.

Even presuming we don't get any help, we're still not starting from "scratch" in the grand scheme of things. We still retain the knowledge to build electronic devices. Yes a lot of shit would suck for a while, but I'm sure that the government has a contingency plan considering that an EMP attack is quite possible, and extremely devastating.

And yes, I used a hyperbole. The same hyperbole you used - way to criticize me, for doing in jest of what you did. Classy. :roll:
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:09 pm

Vortiaganica wrote:I'm not sure how businesses do it, I'm pretty sure they don't keep trucks with full tanks, especially in colder states, and pump fuel when the truck is leaving.

Also, I'm CERTAIN a full tank will not get a truck that far across the US. Some highways would be out of commission until fuel was widely available again.

Some highways? Sure. For a time. Still not a complete and irreparable "Oh noez time to scratch everything" disaster.
Without electricity, foreign goods via air would not be available (Besides aircraft, a large amount of complex electronics are needed on ground), and for at least a month or two, you wouldn't be able to replace that by sea (As even when ships start to leave port with excess goods, you still have to wait for them to get there).

Lot of replacement parts around. We aren't looking at "Produced in China, shipped to the US", we're looking at "Produced in China, already shipped to the US and sitting around in a warehouse or storage room"

Paddy O Fernature
Postmaster-General

Postby Paddy O Fernature » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:09 pm

Caninope wrote:
Paddy O Fernature wrote:

You sir, have proven how little you know about EMP's. An EMP works by sending out an electric and magnetic pulse of energy which cause voltage overloads. This doesn't mean all electronics are fried, as you have said.

Yes, I know nothing about them.. I'm just a guy on the internet with nothing better to do then talk about shit I don't know.

Oh wait, that's you and several other borderline trolls on this topic.

Some people actually have done extensive studies on this for various reasons. Myself, a college paper for my military science degree.

I would go into detail, but I'm willing to bet cold hard cash that you would just sit there and go "nuh uh!" and play the part of the everlasting interweb naysayer, so I will not even bother.

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:10 pm

Norstal wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:The gunpowder treason part two?

Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I'm probably sigging this.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:11 pm

Paddy O Fernature wrote:And I predict that when the call goes out, 50-70% of the guard/reserves don't show up due to a varity of reasons such as unable to travel, unable to care past security of their own families, or just don't care.

Doubtful. In such a tragic situation, I'm sure the reporting rate would be pretty high. Anyone who can think would know that government is still around, simply because the lights go out doesn't mean going AWOL is a good idea.
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:11 pm

Paddy O Fernature wrote:And I predict that when the call goes out, 50-70% of the guard/reserves don't show up due to a varity of reasons such as unable to travel, unable to care past security of their own families, or just don't care.

Ha. Only one of those excuses holds any sort of validity.

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:14 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:Ha. Only one of those excuses holds any sort of validity.

Almost anyone could get to their nearest base/armory. It's not like they're that far apart.

Winter Brault
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Winter Brault » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:14 pm

1)The economy turns for the worst when oil production declines
2)America no longer has enough cash so to keep us afloat China buys more of out treasury bonds. They know without us they're toast
3)China maxes out and opens up to global market more than ever
4)China, no longer needing the U.S. because of all its new clients sells out bonds and sends us spiraling down even further
5)An alternative fuel has been found but is extremely expensive and only the first world countries can afford it
6)America can no longer sustain itself and crashes completely
7)Terrorists release biological weaponry in China and without the U.S. to stop it terror rages
8 )Global temperatures continue to rise and famines begin to break out across the world
9)A few countries remain standing but the world economy is like a heavy weight dragging them down
10)Many people give up and decide to forget about the government and start a new life in the ashes of the poor, hot, lonely world

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General