NATION

PASSWORD

God.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:21 am

Gearria wrote:This just seems to be the problem with humanity. We want to figure everything out and refuse to accept that there is a higher power because that would mean accepting that we actually have to answer to someone. I just cant see how people can look at this world and the stars in the sky and not believe in something. But if people want to reason that they are related to apes be my guest. But we can go around with this all day long and not agree. But if humans evolved from apes why are there still apes? But the theory of evolution is just that. A theory and it will never be proven as a fact. But the good book provides all the facts we need. People just dont want to see it. But to state it simply I do believe in God.

Who says not believing in god equates to not believing in anything?

Also, evolution is a fact. The Theory of Evolution(via Natural Selection) explains this fact.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Tds Anarchism
Civilian

Founded: Apr 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tds Anarchism » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:22 am

Oh, religion. People arguing about who has the better imaginary friend -.-

Gaiso
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Gaiso » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:23 am

Gearria wrote:This just seems to be the problem with humanity. We want to figure everything out and refuse to accept that there is a higher power because that would mean accepting that we actually have to answer to someone. I just cant see how people can look at this world and the stars in the sky and not believe in something. But if people want to reason that they are related to apes be my guest. But we can go around with this all day long and not agree. But if humans evolved from apes why are there still apes? But the theory of evolution is just that. A theory and it will never be proven as a fact. But the good book provides all the facts we need. People just dont want to see it. But to state it simply I do believe in God.

There are still apes because they are still suited to their environment, we are not apes because we left that environment.
And on the theory bit: A lot of people get confused with the whole "theory" concept. It often gets mistaken for a hypothesis, which is an educated guess. A theory is that guess after its been tested, retested adnauseum, and stood the test of time. The theory of Evolution in particular has a ridiculous amount of data backing it (more so than all other theories)

Economic Left/Right: -9.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.90

Ameiliaic
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ameiliaic » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:23 am

Norstal wrote:
Crusadiala wrote:
who made the dust then? :eyebrow:

We don't know.

If we told you that god did it, that would be lying.

If you don't know, how would it be lying?

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:24 am

1. Evolution is a proven fact. Brush up on what a scientific theory means before you go around bashing it.
2. Some apes also evolve from other apes. Theoretically according to your idea of what evolution is there should only be one species of any kind. Which is ludicrous.
3. Beliveing in something and know evolution exists is not mutually contradictory.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:26 am

Ameiliaic wrote:
Norstal wrote:We don't know.

Because its like a scientist saying "This is completely and utterly true, but I haven't tested it yet."

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Gaiso
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Gaiso » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:27 am

Ameiliaic wrote:
Norstal wrote:We don't know.

Out of what we crossed of the list of what created it, God was among it.
There is a reason that over 90% of the National Academy of Sciences identifies as a non-believer.

Economic Left/Right: -9.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.90

Jasonovia
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 18, 2004
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Jasonovia » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:27 am

Unhealthy2 wrote:
Jasonovia wrote:But if he denies they have intrinsic value, can you prove to him that they do?

Only to the same extent that I could prove the truth of a mathematical theorem to someone that childishly refuses to be educated on mathematics.

What makes it wrong to destroy things of inherent value, exactly?

That's like asking "What makes it wrong to commit immoral actions?" It's ultimately a meaningless question resulting from what I and Wittgenstein would describe as a misuse of language.

The thing about a mathematical proof is it needs to start with some axioms. A person must be convinced of the axioms by something other than mathematical means to not be circular. So these moral axioms have to have some sort of real existence to them to be accepted and not be just a personal or societal arbitration, which can drastically change from one person or group of persons to another.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:27 am

Ceannairceach wrote:
Ameiliaic wrote:If you don't know, how would it be lying?

Because its like a scientist saying "This is completely and utterly true, but I haven't tested it yet."

"Cold fusion! Really, trust me."

Yeah.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Agadar
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2009
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Agadar » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:27 am

Barringtonia wrote:As an all-knowing God I foresee that this thread, despite no OP content, will go on for some 50 pages.

The number of pages this thread contains is just 9 pages away from the prophecised number! Prepare for a divine apocalypse!

Also I invite all theists and atheists to prove to me that Barringtonia is not a god. If you think it is possible using only the internet then your logic is flawed.
Proud resident of The Western Isles, the #1 role-playing region!
Developer of Telegrammer, NS API Java Wrapper, and more!

Unhealthy2
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Unhealthy2 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:34 am

Jasonovia wrote:The thing about a mathematical proof is it needs to start with some axioms. A person must be convinced of the axioms by something other than mathematical means to not be circular. So these moral axioms have to have some sort of real existence to them to be accepted and not be just a personal or societal arbitration, which can drastically change from one person or group of persons to another.

You're looking at math in a rather old-fashioned Euclid sort of way. We learned that you don't have to accept a certain set of axioms, and that you can construct several systems out of other axioms. In addition, we learned that you can found the same system on different axiom sets. This makes a mathematical system slightly independent of its particular axioms in question.

Nonetheless, if we're dealing with groups, and I prove to you something which is true about all groups, you could respond "Yeah, but why does the operator have to be associative." I would simply state "It doesn't. However, since we are dealing with groups, the operator is associative by definition. If it wasn't, then we wouldn't be talking about groups anymore. Nonetheless, this theorem is true about ALL groups, whether you like groups or not."
Cool shit here, also here.

Conservation of energy, momentum, and angular momentum, logical consistency, quantum field theory, general respect for life and other low entropy formations, pleasure, minimizing the suffering of humanity and maximizing its well-being, equality of opportunity, individual liberty, knowledge, truth, honesty, aesthetics, imagination, joy, philosophy, entertainment, and the humanities.

Unhealthy2
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unhealthy2 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:36 am

The only "axioms" that you'd need to accept in order to follow my notion are:

1. Other humans exist.
2. These other humans have minds just as much as you do.

Unless you're a solipsist, which no one REALLY is, you have to accept the inherent value of other people, if you wish to remain correct.

Conservation of energy, momentum, and angular momentum, logical consistency, quantum field theory, general respect for life and other low entropy formations, pleasure, minimizing the suffering of humanity and maximizing its well-being, equality of opportunity, individual liberty, knowledge, truth, honesty, aesthetics, imagination, joy, philosophy, entertainment, and the humanities.

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:38 am

Unhealthy2 wrote:The only "axioms" that you'd need to accept in order to follow my notion are:

1. Other humans exist.

Unless you're a solipsist, which no one REALLY is, you have to accept the inherent value of other people, if you wish to remain correct.

Oooooohh..beware when you say things like that. A solipsist might show up.

Unhealthy2
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unhealthy2 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:42 am

The Murtunian Tribes wrote:Oooooohh..beware when you say things like that. A solipsist might show up.

There are no real solipsists, just people that pretend well.

The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:44 am

Unhealthy2 wrote:
The Murtunian Tribes wrote:Oooooohh..beware when you say things like that. A solipsist might show up.

There are no real solipsists, just people that pretend well.

Close enough. Still annoying.

Unhealthy2
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unhealthy2 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:45 am

The Murtunian Tribes wrote:Close enough. Still annoying.

Sure, but they're like postmodernists that way. They don't really believe what they're saying. It's just an exercise in mental masturbation.

Jasonovia
Spokesperson

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Jasonovia » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:50 am

Unhealthy2 wrote:
Jasonovia wrote:I was wondering that earlier in the thread and actually was leaning towards God not "doing " anything. As far as i'm concerned, much of religion discusses God in terms of personification to help grasp something that is incomprehensible. So maybe it is technically incorrect that God "does" anything, and yet everything that does act depends on it for existence.

I see this position as indistinguishable from atheism, which is, obviously, fine by me.

That is the best response one could hope for. At the ends of his proofs, Aquinas says, "and this everyone understands to be God." He's just proved something that everyone in the world must agree to be true, even atheists. However, these are so general that it doesn't really change anything other than perhaps people's definition of God. And yet this is as far as our own minds can take us. If we wanted to learn more about this God, God would have to reach out to us and thus the revelatory religions. Otherwise we have functional atheism. This we can never know for certain, but continual study and dialog can do no harm yet bring us ever closer to the truth.

Gearria
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Gearria » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:52 am

Well I will be the first to admit that science is not my strong suit. But all the same people have been arguing this point for centuries. I respect your opinion but I wont agree with it. But the way I see it science is a flawed field. And it will never answer everything. And I will quote Men in Black. Thousands of years ago we knew the world was the center of the universe.
Hundreds of years ago we knew the world was flat.
Imagine what we will know tommorow.
The thing is science changes as time passes but the Bible remains the same. Plus if this world is the best it gets well then that just sucks. And the ironic thing is I used to be an Athiest. But there was a big void that science just could not fill and it seemed that if we are all just accidents then there is no purpose to life.(I even attempted suicide) But after I put my faith in God and accepted his truth I was given purpose and now I am a person with new life. But I'm not a preacher and I dont want to add to a never ending debate. So this will be my last post on this thread. But I continue to respect your opinion.

Keronians
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:53 am

Tds Anarchism wrote:Oh, religion. People arguing about who has the better imaginary friend -.-

Really, now? Please enlighten me, O great being.
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

Jasonovia
Spokesperson

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Jasonovia » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:53 am

Unhealthy2 wrote:The only "axioms" that you'd need to accept in order to follow my notion are:

1. Other humans exist.

There is one more implicit axiom: that other humans having minds like yours is important to how to treat them.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:55 am

Gearria wrote:Well I will be the first to admit that science is not my strong suit. But all the same people have been arguing this point for centuries. I respect your opinion but I wont agree with it. But the way I see it science is a flawed field. And it will never answer everything. And I will quote Men in Black. Thousands of years ago we knew the world was the center of the universe.
The thing is science changes as time passes but the Bible remains the same. Plus if this world is the best it gets well then that just sucks. And the ironic thing is I used to be an Athiest. But there was a big void that science just could not fill and it seemed that if we are all just accidents then there is no purpose to life.(I even attempted suicide) But after I put my faith in God and accepted his truth I was given purpose and now I am a person with new life. But I'm not a preacher and I dont want to add to a never ending debate. So this will be my last post on this thread. But I continue to respect your opinion.

True. The bible remains the same (discounting the latest revisions of course ;) ), and for the most part, it's followers refuse to evolve as well.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:55 am

The Murtunian Tribes wrote:

1. Evolution is a proven fact. Brush up on what a scientific theory means before you go around bashing it.
2. Some apes also evolve from other apes. Theoretically according to your idea of what evolution is there should only be one species of any kind. Which is ludicrous.
3. Beliveing in something and know evolution exists is not mutually contradictory.

A theory is what is accepted by the scientific community as the reason for an observation, if I'm not mistaken. The Theory of Evolution is really a superb thing. I doubt it will ever be debunked.

Because, evolution does happen. We can see it. The only thing that we might be wrong about is in our explanation of why it happens. And, really, the Theory of Evolution is one of the best Theories science has ever come up with, so I doubt it will ever be proven wrong.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Unhealthy2
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unhealthy2 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:56 am

Jasonovia wrote:There is one more implicit axiom: that other humans having minds like yours is important to how to treat them.

Not really. Them having minds is sufficient to show that they have intrinsic value which, by the very definitions as uses of language, means that you SHOULD treat them with a certain sort of consideration.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:57 am

Gearria wrote:Well I will be the first to admit that science is not my strong suit. But all the same people have been arguing this point for centuries. I respect your opinion but I wont agree with it. But the way I see it science is a flawed field. And it will never answer everything. And I will quote Men in Black. Thousands of years ago we knew the world was the center of the universe.

No, we didn't know all that; we thought that to be true, despite all of it being false. Although, I wish to point out that the flat earth thing, from what I have learned, wasn't as widely accepted as it is believed to have been.

The thing about science is that, yes, it can't answer everything... yet. However, unlike the bible, it can change to fit facts. The bible doesn't.
Last edited by Ceannairceach on Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

@}-;-'---

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:59 am

Ceannairceach wrote:

No, we didn't know all that; we thought that to be true, despite all of it being false. Although, I wish to point out that the flat earth thing, from what I have learned, wasn't as widely accepted as it is believed to have been.

The thing about science is that, yes, it can't answer everything... yet. However, unlike the bible, it can change to fit facts. The bible doesn't.

Science will never be able to answer everything. It has many things it can answer, but it cannot answer everything because not everything is observable and testable.
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

PreviousNext

Advertisement