NATION

PASSWORD

the issue-haters club

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Shnercropolis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

the issue-haters club

Postby Shnercropolis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:53 pm

a club for people who can't vote and therefore may have opinions not grounded in fact. You may say things that don't make sense here and no voters will fix your understanding of world events.

Issue #1: A lot of people believe that terrorists are all Muslims. Is this a stereotype or true?

as soon as we run out of steam on this issue, we can make new ones.

P.S. sorry if this seems a little sarcastic, its just the F7er in me.
it is my firm belief that I should never have to justify my beliefs.

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:56 pm

That's quite obviously not true. Many modern terrorists are Muslim, but there have been many, many more people throughout history who have been terrorists, as well.
Last edited by Olthar on Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Second Cataclysm: My New RP

Roll Them Bones: A Guide to Dice RPs

My mommy says I'm special.
Add 37 to my post count for my previous nation.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Shnercropolis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Shnercropolis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:57 pm

Olthar wrote:That's quite obviously not true. Many moder terrorists are Muslim, but there have been many, many more people throughout history who have been terrorists, as well.

you cannot vote, correct?

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:59 pm

All opinions should be grounded in fact. Otherwise they should not be made, unless in jest. While many terrorists are muslim nowadays... I'm still more nervous of the man toting a Bible and attempting to convert me on my interstate flight.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

Shnercropolis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Shnercropolis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:00 pm

Seperates wrote:All opinions should be grounded in fact. Otherwise they should not be made, unless in jest.

then how do you explain the Tea Party?

Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:01 pm

Olthar wrote:That's quite obviously not true. Many moder terrorists are Muslim, but there have been many, many more people throughout history who have been terrorists, as well.

Aha, the mods ARE terrorists after all! I KNEW it!
Ostroeuropa wrote:Two shirtless men on a pushback with handlebar moustaches and a kettle conquered India, at 17:04 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. They rolled the bike up the hill and demanded that the natives set about acquiring bureaucratic records.

Des-Bal wrote:Modern politics is a series of assholes and liars trying to be more angry than each other until someone lets a racist epithet slip and they all scatter like roaches.

NSLV wrote:Introducing the new political text from acclaimed author/yak, NEO ARCAD, an exploration of nuclear power in the Middle East and Asia, "Nuclear Penis: He Won't Call You Again".

This is the best region ever. You know you want it.

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:01 pm

Shnercropolis wrote:

you cannot vote, correct?

No, I can vote.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you're a unique and special individual who won't conform to another person's demands.

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:01 pm

Shnercropolis wrote:
Seperates wrote:All opinions should be grounded in fact. Otherwise they should not be made, unless in jest.

Note "should"
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

Shnercropolis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Shnercropolis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:02 pm

Olthar wrote:
Shnercropolis wrote:you cannot vote, correct?

No, I can vote.

meh. It doesn't matter. I just want some discussion where I won't be hampered by reality.

Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:02 pm

Shnercropolis wrote:

A large group of pissed-off anti-Statist americans without enough leadership. Though I suppose that's a central tenet of anarchism.
Ostroeuropa wrote:Two shirtless men on a pushback with handlebar moustaches and a kettle conquered India, at 17:04 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. They rolled the bike up the hill and demanded that the natives set about acquiring bureaucratic records.

Des-Bal wrote:Modern politics is a series of assholes and liars trying to be more angry than each other until someone lets a racist epithet slip and they all scatter like roaches.

NSLV wrote:Introducing the new political text from acclaimed author/yak, NEO ARCAD, an exploration of nuclear power in the Middle East and Asia, "Nuclear Penis: He Won't Call You Again".

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:02 pm

Neo Arcad wrote:

:lol: I love when spelling errors make the sentence better.

Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:03 pm

Olthar wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:

:lol: I love when spelling errors make the sentence better.

Yesh.

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:03 pm

Shnercropolis wrote:
Olthar wrote:No, I can vote.

meh. It doesn't matter. I just want some discussion where I won't be hampered by reality.

Then I'll give you some advice...

Go to F7.

Shnercropolis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Shnercropolis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:04 pm

Seperates wrote:
Shnercropolis wrote:meh. It doesn't matter. I just want some discussion where I won't be hampered by reality.

Then I'll give you some advice...

Go to F7.

I got bored with it. I suppose I should just go to some conservative forum and piss them off.

Ghanara
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ghanara » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:04 pm

I think it's a complete stereotype that all Muslims are terrorists. That's like saying all Christians are terrorists, just because some Christian terrorists bombed some abortion clinics.
Money makes the world go round.

This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
(\/)
(-_-)
(")(")

GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Looking for an awesome region? Try Cherowaka!

Olthar
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Olthar » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:05 pm

Ghanara wrote:I think it's a complete stereotype that all Muslims are terrorists. That's like saying all Christians are terrorists, just because some Christian terrorists bombed some abortion clinics.

The OP asked if all terrorists are Muslim, not if all Muslims are terrorists.

Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:06 pm

Ghanara wrote:I think it's a complete stereotype that all Muslims are terrorists. That's like saying all Christians are terrorists, just because some Christian terrorists bombed some abortion clinics.

:blink:
Sauce?

Pingleeia
Secretary

Founded: Aug 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pingleeia » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:09 pm

What is "the tea party?"

The Great People's Revolutionary Republic of Nantai
|| 男体山の大人民革命共和国 ||
Nantaisan No Dai Jinmin Kakumei Kyōwa-koku
Motto: The Great Pearl of the Northlands
Capital: Atarashii
Demonym: Tai'an

Voltronica
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Voltronica » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:10 pm

Issue #1: A lot of people believe that terrorists are all Muslims. Is this a stereotype or true?

The First statement is highly true because a lot of people do "believe" with a heavy passion that that terrorists regardless of skin colors are always Muslim (which has become a term synonymous with the term "religious nut" in some circles). Timothy McVeigh was a "Muslim" in that nature of the word.

I'm not sure how the statement can be a stereotype but i do understand how it can allude to two of them. One: Terrorist=Muslim Two: Haters=Non-terrorists.
Last edited by Voltronica on Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a bit of a pervert so get over it...or under it whichever you prefer ;)
[unclaimed space]
Serial RPist since Aug 2009!!
| Music Culture of Voltronica | FanT FB (UC)|
Phishing with worms is fun! I caught a catphish.
Quoets

Pingleeia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Pingleeia » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:13 pm

Voltronica wrote:

The First statement is highly true because a lot of people do "believe" with a heavy passion that that terrorists regardless of skin colors are always Muslim (which has become a term synonymous with the term "religious nut" in some circles). Timothy McVeigh was a "Muslim" in that nature of the word.

I'm not sure how the statement can be a stereotype but i do understand how it can allude to two of them. One: Terrorist=Muslim Two: Haters=Non-terrorists.

Then how do you explain the constant anarchist violance in citties like london?

|| 男体山の大人民革命共和国 ||

Voltronica
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Voltronica » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:16 pm

Pingleeia wrote:
Voltronica wrote:The First statement is highly true because a lot of people do "believe" with a heavy passion that that terrorists regardless of skin colors are always Muslim (which has become a term synonymous with the term "religious nut" in some circles). Timothy McVeigh was a "Muslim" in that nature of the word.

"Islamo-Anarchists"
[unclaimed space]
Quoets

Shnercropolis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Shnercropolis » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:16 pm

Pingleeia wrote:
Voltronica wrote:The First statement is highly true because a lot of people do "believe" with a heavy passion that that terrorists regardless of skin colors are always Muslim (which has become a term synonymous with the term "religious nut" in some circles). Timothy McVeigh was a "Muslim" in that nature of the word.

its--oh, never mind. I was about to say the most illogical thing you'll ever hear in your lifetime.

Pingleeia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Pingleeia » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:17 pm

More like "Pissed-off taxpayer anarchists."

|| 男体山の大人民革命共和国 ||

Voltronica
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Voltronica » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:19 pm

Pingleeia wrote:More like "Pissed-off taxpayer anarchists."

Yeah but what side is the government media on??
[unclaimed space]
Quoets

Pingleeia
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Pingleeia » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:31 pm

The media differs depending on which side you read.
The conservatives are not popular at the moment, but neither are the lib dems or labour party. The media is quite split.

Also, how do you explain the ira, and the english defense league, who have been known to shout the extremely tollerent and wonderfully politicaly correct catchprase "Muslim bombers off our streets."

|| 男体山の大人民革命共和国 ||

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General