NATION

PASSWORD

Atlas Shrugs, Yet Nobody Cares

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:42 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Alien Space Bats wrote:<FARNHAMIA SCORES MASSSIVE MULTIPLE INTERNET WIN!!!1!1!1!1!!!!>

What, with a lesbian relationship between her and Taggart?

Rand would hate it, but it would fit her philosophy better than she would care to admit.

So massive, in fact, you needed three S's. :blush:

Now, who plays Dagny Taggart?

Johnny Depp?
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:46 am

Bottle wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:So massive, in fact, you needed three S's. :blush:

Johnny Depp?

Not pretty enough. And I wasn't really thinking of doing a complete gender reversal, just Galt. If you reverse all the parts it becomes a burlesque. Or, if this were the 1950s, a Berle-sque. There's an idea, cast all the parts with stand-up comics. Richard Lewis as John Galt! Sarah Silverman as Dagny Taggart!
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:47 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Bottle wrote:Johnny Depp?

Not pretty enough.

I will cut you.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:52 am

Aeronos wrote:http://wonkette.com/443358/terrible-atlas-shrugged-part-i-dismal-at-the-box-office

I've been saying for months now that if Atlas Shrugged is commercially mediocre, I will laugh at the utter irony of it all. A film about a book parading the virtues of capitalism and self-interest fails in the eyes of capitalism. Well, it appears to have come true :P

For a pure independent release, Atlas Shrugged: Part I’s opening was fine.

One must remember, this was not backed by a major studio, it did not have the funding or distribution

I can't even find it in my market.
Victorious Decepticons wrote:If they said "this is what you enjoy so do this" and handed me a stack of my favorite video games, then it'd be far different. But governments don't work that way. They'd hand me a dishrag...
And I'd hand them an insurgency.
Trotskylvania wrote:Don't kid yourself. The state is a violent, destructive institution of class dictatorship. The fact that the proles have bargained themselves the drippings from their master's plates doesn't legitimize the state.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:56 am

Bottle wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Not pretty enough.

I will cut you.

*backs off* Okay, okay, he can play Dagny ...
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Mussoliniopoli
Minister

Founded: Mar 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mussoliniopoli » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:57 am

Bottle wrote:

Johnny Depp?

They already did this film it was called, The Tourist and it sucked.
The Peoples' Authoritarian formerly known as Panzerjaeger
حرروا فلسطين
Economic Left/Right: -10.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.62
Power does not corrupt men; fools, however, if they get into a position of power, corrupt power.
All Aboard the Hate Train! Choo choo bitch.

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:57 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Bottle wrote:I will cut you.

And he can play Reardon, too. Say it.

Fuckit, until I get my all-Depp remake of the Fountainhead, you're all my hostages.

Staenwald
Senator

Founded: Oct 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Staenwald » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:57 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Bottle wrote:I will cut you.

when i read the book the characters didn't have proper faces, just like indistinguishable but obvious features...so I like the Dagny of my imagination... :D
Found my sig 6 months after joining...thanks Norstal.
Lord Tothe wrote:Well, if Karl Marx turns out to be right, I....I'll eat my hat! As a side note, I need to create a BaconHat (TM) for any such occasions where I may end up actually having to eat my hat. Of course, this isn't one of them.

Katganistan wrote:"You got some Galt not swallowing this swill."

The Black Forrest wrote:Oh go Galt yourself.

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:58 am

Mussoliniopoli wrote:
Bottle wrote:Johnny Depp?

They already did this film it was called, The Tourist and it sucked.

Sigh, so true. I wish he'd stop trying to be in real movies, and just keep putting on eyeliner and standing around with his shirt open.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:00 am

Bottle wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:*backs off* Okay, okay, he can play Dagny ...

And he can play Reardon, too. Say it.

Fuckit, until I get my all-Depp remake of the Fountainhead, you're all my hostages.

Only if he wears the pointy bra like Patricia Neal did.

Staenwald
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Staenwald » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:01 am

Bottle wrote:
Mussoliniopoli wrote:They already did this film it was called, The Tourist and it sucked.

Sigh, so true. I wish he'd stop trying to be in real movies, and just keep putting on eyeliner and standing around with his shirt open.

where's all the rum gone?
Lord Tothe wrote:Well, if Karl Marx turns out to be right, I....I'll eat my hat! As a side note, I need to create a BaconHat (TM) for any such occasions where I may end up actually having to eat my hat. Of course, this isn't one of them.

Staenwald
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Staenwald » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:03 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Alien Space Bats wrote:<FARNHAMIA SCORES MASSSIVE MULTIPLE INTERNET WIN!!!1!1!1!1!!!!>

What, with a lesbian relationship between her and Taggart?

Rand would hate it, but it would fit her philosophy better than she would care to admit.

So massive, in fact, you needed three S's. :blush:

actually i'd prefer if you female-ised the whole hero cast. anconia= sexy latino lady, Danneskjöld= sexy scandinavian blonde
Last edited by Staenwald on Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:07 am

Staenwald wrote:
Cannot think of a name wrote:
bien tu peux parler le français!

Only enough to say, 'not so much.' And not even in French...sort of dozed in those classes for some reason...
Staenwald wrote:to be honest, i think any of Rands books would be more appropriate as dessins animés because they have that quality- it's how she wanted Anthem done anyway.

Sylvain Chomet presents Atlas Shrugged? Actually, I might watch an Atlas Shrugged by Ralph Bakshi, come to think of it. No one else would, but...or the guy* who did the cut out puppet/animation style Dante's Inferno, that'd be actually interesting. (I had sort of come up with this method to do Paul Auster's In the Country of Lost Things, but since I can't draw or craft I got ninja'd.)

*turns out this is the guy who does interesting things that I never manage to see...Smog and Thunder was his other project, a mockumentary about the California Civil War. Fuck man, I gotta get on it...
Last edited by Cannot think of a name on Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:08 am

Staenwald wrote:

actually i'd prefer if you female-ised the whole hero cast. anconia= sexy latino lady, Danneskjöld= sexy scandinavian blonde

That does have a certain appeal, I must say. Still, I like my "all comedian" cast, too. George Lopez as Anconia, perhaps, or Roberto Benigni. Victor Borge for Danneskjöld, except Borge is dead. Never having read the book - I must, someday - I'm just guessing.

Staenwald
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Staenwald » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:13 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Staenwald wrote:

That does have a certain appeal, I must say. Still, I like my "all comedian" cast, too. George Lopez as Anconia, perhaps, or Roberto Benigni. Victor Borge for Danneskjöld, except Borge is dead. Never having read the book - I must, someday - I'm just guessing.

don't hate it till you try it :) i must be sad considering the 60 page speech was actually a good part for me....

Mussoliniopoli
Minister

Founded: Mar 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mussoliniopoli » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:21 am

Staenwald wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:That does have a certain appeal, I must say. Still, I like my "all comedian" cast, too. George Lopez as Anconia, perhaps, or Roberto Benigni. Victor Borge for Danneskjöld, except Borge is dead. Never having read the book - I must, someday - I'm just guessing.

don't hate it till you try it :) i must be sad considering the 60 page speech was actually a good part for me....

That sounds more obnoxious then Mein Kampf.
The Peoples' Authoritarian formerly known as Panzerjaeger
حرروا فلسطين
Economic Left/Right: -10.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.62
Power does not corrupt men; fools, however, if they get into a position of power, corrupt power.
All Aboard the Hate Train! Choo choo bitch.

Rambhutan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 28, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Rambhutan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:28 am

Good grief it is only part one, if they are going to make a trilogy I at least want hobbits in it.
Last edited by Rambhutan on Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Are we there yet?

Overherelandistan wrote: I chalange you to find a better one that isnt even worse

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:28 am

Mussoliniopoli wrote:That sounds more obnoxious then Mein Kampf.

It's a very badly written book. Hugely poor.

On the plus side it makes some people rabies-froth at the mouth, so it has excellent trolling potential.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:30 am

Lacadaemon wrote:
Mussoliniopoli wrote:That sounds more obnoxious then Mein Kampf.

It's a very badly written book. Hugely poor.

On the plus side it makes some people rabies-froth at the mouth, so it has excellent trolling potential.

"Two novels can change a bookish 14-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." ~ John Rogers

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Alien Space Bats » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:38 am

Farnhamia wrote:"Two novels can change a bookish 14-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." ~ John Rogers

Rogers' Law: All internet discussions of Atlas Shrugged or Rand will eventually make reference to Lord of the Rings, and all discussions of Tolkien will eventually make reference to Atlas Shrugged.

<pause>

So I have this idea for a story about how all the elves and dwarves are disappearing, going West until they find a hidden magical valley where they can wait until the orc looters all kill each other...
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:39 am

Farnhamia wrote:"Two novels can change a bookish 14-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." ~ John Rogers

Yeah, but it isn't all that really. I don't get why people get so wound up by it.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:44 am

Alien Space Bats wrote:So I have this idea for a story about how all the elves and dwarves are disappearing, going West until they find a hidden magical valley where they can wait until the orc looters all kill each other...

That's where you see what a crappy writer Rand is. 90% of Atlas Shrugged can be summed up by the old Soviet Union proverb: "They pretend to pay us, and we pretend to work".

Staenwald
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Staenwald » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:05 pm

Lacadaemon wrote:
Alien Space Bats wrote:So I have this idea for a story about how all the elves and dwarves are disappearing, going West until they find a hidden magical valley where they can wait until the orc looters all kill each other...

That's where you see what a crappy writer Rand is. 90% of Atlas Shrugged can be summed up by the old Soviet Union proverb: "They pretend to pay us, and we pretend to work".

i don't see a correlation at all...just saying...

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:08 pm

Staenwald wrote:
Lacadaemon wrote:

i don't see a correlation at all...just saying...

I always thought Rand's philosophy could be reduced to "You are not the boss of me!" Door-slam optional, but recommended.

Staenwald
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Staenwald » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:12 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Staenwald wrote:i don't see a correlation at all...just saying...

I always thought Rand's philosophy could be reduced to "You are not the boss of me!" Door-slam optional, but recommended.

i have to admit, that made me lol. it's more like 'you are not the boss of me! *slams door* *opens door again forcefully* ' unless of course it is more beneficial for you to be the boss and so out of my own rational self interest i choose to subordinate myself to your better judgement, assmunig it suits me best and that you're not a looter!!' *slams door* *shouts down corridor* 'BUT THAT IS NOT THE CASE' * creates utopia* *wins*
Last edited by Staenwald on Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General