NATION

PASSWORD

Atlas Shrugs, Yet Nobody Cares

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Staenwald
Senator
 
Posts: 4244
Founded: Oct 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Staenwald » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:46 am

Katganistan wrote:
New Manvir wrote:
Now all we need to give her is a catchphrase.

Ideas?

"You got some Galt not swallowing this swill."

sigged, because i can take a joke.
Found my sig 6 months after joining...thanks Norstal.
Lord Tothe wrote:Well, if Karl Marx turns out to be right, I....I'll eat my hat! As a side note, I need to create a BaconHat (TM) for any such occasions where I may end up actually having to eat my hat. Of course, this isn't one of them.

Katganistan wrote:"You got some Galt not swallowing this swill."

The Black Forrest wrote:Oh go Galt yourself.

User avatar
Cannot think of a name
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 25198
Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:24 am

Staenwald wrote:I've not seen the film, since I can't because I live in the UK. Considering the point that many theatres aren't showing it and only a handful are, it's of course not gonna get a huge turnout.

and using sibirsky's source

13 9 Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules Fox $2,081,944 -56.4% 1,849 -1,032 $1,126 $48,122,773 $21 4
14 N Atlas Shrugged: Part I RM $1,686,347 - 299 - $5,640 $1,686,347 $10 1

it's only been out 4 days, whereas as wimpy kid's been open 4 weeks...and it's already made 80% of what wimpy kid has....

No, you've read the chart wrong. In the four weeks that Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules has made $48 million. What Atlas Shrugged Part I did was make 80% of the box office of an under advertised movie that had already been out for four weeks that weekend after Wimpy Kid dropped 56.4% from the previous weekend.

Someone else mentioned its ranking in per screen average, which honestly is pretty good. If I had an independent release I would be thrilled with a $5,640 per screen average. But looking solely at that, it got trounced by Evil Bong 3-D and its $12,265 per screen average (that number of screens being one). But you get a higher per screen average when you do things like taking one of the largest markets and only show it in one theater (Los Angeles it only showed on one screen, that's going to skew your per screen numbers higher, which is what limited release people try to get so that they can get more screens later.)

In the limited release category (of which there is no such thing, but for sake of argument is under 1,000 screens) it comes in second to The Conspirator which had more than twice the screens.

All in all, while I'd like to have schadenfreude about the whole thing that's not a bad opening for a self released film. However, retention is the key. The guy at Box Office Mojo I think tries to throw as much water on the whole thing as he can, but this is important-
What's more, Atlas Shrugged: Part I's box office dropped six percent from Friday to Saturday, further indicating niche appeal. The movie would require exceptional holds moving forward to right its course.

Now, it doesn't seem to me that a six percent drop from premiere day to the second is that big of a deal, but drops in general are not good for pitching the movie forward. If next week there isn't an increase, then you can dance on this movie's grave. If there is an increase, then word of mouth is doing its job and it's limited release is a success in the same way Win Win continues to increase its box office (#15) after it's much smaller release.
Last edited by Cannot think of a name on Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Everything for the cat.

User avatar
Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 23565
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:59 am

Yuktova wrote:Is Zeitgeist a dirty word now? Who did that? The Monetray Police? :p


It sounds more like a foot disease.

"Dude, my zeitgeist is flaring up. Hand me that Lotrimin."
Last edited by Lunatic Goofballs on Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

User avatar
Yuktova
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11882
Founded: Feb 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Yuktova » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:02 am

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Yuktova wrote:Is Zeitgeist a dirty word now? Who did that? The Monetray Police? :p


It sounds more like a foot disease.

"Dude, my zeitgeist is flaring up. Hand me that Lotrimin."



Ha! That's funny! No, the Zeitgeist Movement is about scientific advancement without politics, an economy, or religion. It's no foot disease my friend!
I'm Morrissey... Nice to meet you.
Goldsaver said: This is murder, not a romantic date!

User avatar
Grave_n_idle
Post Czar
 
Posts: 43029
Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Grave_n_idle » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:03 am

Aeronos wrote:http://wonkette.com/443358/terrible-atlas-shrugged-part-i-dismal-at-the-box-office

I've been saying for months now that if Atlas Shrugged is commercially mediocre, I will laugh at the utter irony of it all. A film about a book parading the virtues of capitalism and self-interest fails in the eyes of capitalism. Well, it appears to have come true :P

Though I'm heavily libertarian myself and agree with Rand on a surprising amount of things, I do not agree with objectivism. If people want to work in collectives rather than working for profit, let them... they'd be committing economic suicide, but let them. Likewise, charity should be an honourable thing, not frowned upon as "intellectual surrender". In short, on the Rothbard vs Rand debate, I side with Rothbard. There, that should clear me from the whole "lolyoujusthaterand" shindig.

This will probably come as good news to most here. Not sure how many objectivists we have here, most of the time I see Atlas Shrugged being rightly panned for being badly written...


I can't imagine there's going to be much fuss outside of ridiculously small and exclusive circles.

Shit book gets made into shit film, and does poorly at the Box Office. It's hardly a case for Miss Marple.
WASSER IST LEBEN

User avatar
Grave_n_idle
Post Czar
 
Posts: 43029
Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Grave_n_idle » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:06 am

Yuktova wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
It sounds more like a foot disease.

"Dude, my zeitgeist is flaring up. Hand me that Lotrimin."



Ha! That's funny! No, the Zeitgeist Movement is about scientific advancement without politics, an economy, or religion. It's no foot disease my friend!


It's a memetic disorder.

*nods*
WASSER IST LEBEN

User avatar
Orwellian Huxly
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 124
Founded: Apr 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Orwellian Huxly » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:08 am

Lacadaemon wrote:This movie fails because it is left wing rubbish.

Left wing? lolwut?
A man said to the universe: 'Sir, I exist!' 'However,' replied the universe. 'The fact has not created in me A sense of obligation.

User avatar
Rambhutan
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5227
Founded: Jul 28, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Rambhutan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:12 am

Is there going to be a porn version Atlas Shagged?
Are we there yet?

Overherelandistan wrote: I chalange you to find a better one that isnt even worse

User avatar
Grave_n_idle
Post Czar
 
Posts: 43029
Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Grave_n_idle » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:15 am

Rambhutan wrote:Is there going to be a porn version Atlas Shagged?


I'm not sure there needs to be a 'porn version' of a masturbatory product.

*nods*
WASSER IST LEBEN

User avatar
Staenwald
Senator
 
Posts: 4244
Founded: Oct 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Staenwald » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:46 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Staenwald wrote:I've not seen the film, since I can't because I live in the UK. Considering the point that many theatres aren't showing it and only a handful are, it's of course not gonna get a huge turnout.

and using sibirsky's source

13 9 Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules Fox $2,081,944 -56.4% 1,849 -1,032 $1,126 $48,122,773 $21 4
14 N Atlas Shrugged: Part I RM $1,686,347 - 299 - $5,640 $1,686,347 $10 1

it's only been out 4 days, whereas as wimpy kid's been open 4 weeks...and it's already made 80% of what wimpy kid has....

No, you've read the chart wrong. In the four weeks that Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules has made $48 million. What Atlas Shrugged Part I did was make 80% of the box office of an under advertised movie that had already been out for four weeks that weekend after Wimpy Kid dropped 56.4% from the previous weekend.


ooh true. I sorry :? meh idc if it's a failure.
Found my sig 6 months after joining...thanks Norstal.
Lord Tothe wrote:Well, if Karl Marx turns out to be right, I....I'll eat my hat! As a side note, I need to create a BaconHat (TM) for any such occasions where I may end up actually having to eat my hat. Of course, this isn't one of them.

Katganistan wrote:"You got some Galt not swallowing this swill."

The Black Forrest wrote:Oh go Galt yourself.

User avatar
Harata
Diplomat
 
Posts: 815
Founded: Dec 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Harata » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:54 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Aeronos wrote:http://wonkette.com/443358/terrible-atlas-shrugged-part-i-dismal-at-the-box-office

I've been saying for months now that if Atlas Shrugged is commercially mediocre, I will laugh at the utter irony of it all. A film about a book parading the virtues of capitalism and self-interest fails in the eyes of capitalism. Well, it appears to have come true :P

Though I'm heavily libertarian myself and agree with Rand on a surprising amount of things, I do not agree with objectivism. If people want to work in collectives rather than working for profit, let them... they'd be committing economic suicide, but let them. Likewise, charity should be an honourable thing, not frowned upon as "intellectual surrender". In short, on the Rothbard vs Rand debate, I side with Rothbard. There, that should clear me from the whole "lolyoujusthaterand" shindig.

This will probably come as good news to most here. Not sure how many objectivists we have here, most of the time I see Atlas Shrugged being rightly panned for being badly written...


I can't imagine there's going to be much fuss outside of ridiculously small and exclusive circles.

Shit book gets made into shit film, and does poorly at the Box Office. It's hardly a case for Miss Marple.


"Shit book"? Well I feel sorry for you if you can't enjoy such a fine book (assuming you actually read any of it, which I doubt).
All hail the Grand Emperor!
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.56

User avatar
Kubra
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11037
Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Libertarian Police State

Postby Kubra » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:01 pm

Rambhutan wrote:Is there going to be a porn version Atlas Shagged?
IS A MAN NOT ENTITLED TO THE SWEAT OF HIS LOVEMAKING?
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
-Comrade Posadas

User avatar
New Huxlian Orwell
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 400
Founded: Jun 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby New Huxlian Orwell » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:04 pm

Harata wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
I can't imagine there's going to be much fuss outside of ridiculously small and exclusive circles.

Shit book gets made into shit film, and does poorly at the Box Office. It's hardly a case for Miss Marple.


"Shit book"? Well I feel sorry for you if you can't enjoy such a fine book (assuming you actually read any of it, which I doubt).

I have read the book, and it is tedious. It is all about the poor sacrificing rich people who hold the *sob* whole world on their shoulders. A world run by objectivists would be one in which the poor would be used as chattel. It is horrible writing, shit philosophy and Ayn Rand was a angry poor hating piece of shit. I couldn't be paid to see this movie.
If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

You live and learn. At any rate, you live. ~Douglas Adams

User avatar
Trollgaard
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8970
Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Father Knows Best State

Postby Trollgaard » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:09 pm

I may see this movie...just to see if the movie is any worse than the book.

User avatar
The Black Forrest
Post Czar
 
Posts: 34086
Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:12 pm

Staenwald wrote:
Katganistan wrote:"You got some Galt not swallowing this swill."

sigged, because i can take a joke.


Oh go Galt yourself.
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

User avatar
Harata
Diplomat
 
Posts: 815
Founded: Dec 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Harata » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:12 pm

New Huxlian Orwell wrote:
Harata wrote:
"Shit book"? Well I feel sorry for you if you can't enjoy such a fine book (assuming you actually read any of it, which I doubt).

I have read the book, and it is tedious. It is all about the poor sacrificing rich people who hold the *sob* whole world on their shoulders. A world run by objectivists would be one in which the poor would be used as chattel. It is horrible writing, shit philosophy and Ayn Rand was a angry poor hating piece of shit. I couldn't be paid to see this movie.


Holding the world on their shoulders is exactly what they do. The poor wouldn't be used as chattel; talent would be identified early on and rewarded, no matter the origin. Unskilled workers would make what they earned, nothing more, nothing less. In fact, the book identifies how the government, in attempting to make things "fair", turns the workers into chattel.
All hail the Grand Emperor!
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.56

User avatar
Risottia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 51426
Founded: Sep 05, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Risottia » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:57 pm

Unchecked Expansion wrote:The Free Market works!

Only this time the Free Market Fairy has turned Obamunist.
Statanist through and through.
Evilutionist Atheist Crusadjihadist. "Darwinu Akhbar! Dawkins vult!"
Founder of the NSG Peace Prize Committee.
I'm back.

User avatar
Alien Space Bats
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9860
Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Benevolent Dictatorship

Re: Atlas Shrugs, Yet Nobody Cares

Postby Alien Space Bats » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:15 am

Lacadaemon wrote:
Augarundus wrote:I was initially cynical of the decision to set it in the modern era, but an oil shortage seemed like an adequate reason for rail-use to rise in popularity.


Ugh. Public transport, the left's answer to everything. :roll:

And don't even get me started on the Taggart female's complete lack of respect for traditional christian values.

You missed my thread on bowdlerization, didn't you?
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

User avatar
Lacadaemon
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5322
Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:22 am

Alien Space Bats wrote:You missed my thread on bowdlerization, didn't you?


I did actually.

But I stand by my assessment: Ayn Rand's outlook was far to the left of modern day GOP conservatives.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

User avatar
Alien Space Bats
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9860
Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Benevolent Dictatorship

Re: Atlas Shrugs, Yet Nobody Cares

Postby Alien Space Bats » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:54 am

Lacadaemon wrote:
Alien Space Bats wrote:You missed my thread on bowdlerization, didn't you?


I did actually.

But I stand by my assessment: Ayn Rand's outlook was far to the left of modern day GOP conservatives.

That was my point in the thread, too. Aside from homilies to Atlas Shrugged and some vague idea that Rand believed in free markets, modern day GOP conservatives generally hold positions opposite to Rand's on most issues:

  • Rand hated religion, describing it as a "form of mental illness". She found the usual gestures that politicians make towards religion in general and Christianity in particular repulsive.

  • Rand believe that women had an absolute right to abortion, right up to the moment of birth.

  • While not a feminist (she saw the feminist movement as too deeply steeped in New Left thinking), Rand believed in the absolute legal equality of men and women, and did not see women as "naturally inclined" towards child-rearing and the home rather than career pursuits.

  • Rand thought that any and all attempts to legislate morality, including laws against adultery, sodomy, gross indecency, and homosexuality, were absolutely wrong.

  • Rand despised governments that practiced torture. Although there are those who claim that she never denounced it, I recall reading an article in the late 60's or early 70's in which she expressed revulsion for the fashion in which many Middle Eastern states treated political prisoners, citing in particular SAVAK's ruthlessness in Iran. From this, I'll go out on a limb and suggest that she'd be outraged at waterboarding, the abuses at Abu Ghraib, and the whole sorry mess that is Guantanamo Bay.

  • Rand supported open immigration. 'Nuff said.

  • Rand found the Confederacy repulsive, the damned Marxist minx!
No, it's Rothbard who is the patron saint of modern Republican paleolibertarianism; the GOP ultras only avoid branding her a heretic my ignoring 90% of what she preached.
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

User avatar
Lacadaemon
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5322
Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:24 am

Alien Space Bats wrote:That was my point in the thread, too. Aside from homilies to Atlas Shrugged and some vague idea that Rand believed in free markets, modern day GOP conservatives generally hold positions opposite to Rand's on most issues:

  • Rand hated religion, describing it as a "form of mental illness". She found the usual gestures that politicians make towards religion in general and Christianity in particular repulsive.

  • Rand believe that women had an absolute right to abortion, right up to the moment of birth.

  • While not a feminist (she saw the feminist movement as too deeply steeped in New Left thinking), Rand believed in the absolute legal equality of men and women, and did not see women as "naturally inclined" towards child-rearing and the home rather than career pursuits.

  • Rand thought that any and all attempts to legislate morality, including laws against adultery, sodomy, gross indecency, and homosexuality, were absolutely wrong.

  • Rand despised governments that practiced torture. Although there are those who claim that she never denounced it, I recall reading an article in the late 60's or early 70's in which she expressed revulsion for the fashion in which many Middle Eastern states treated political prisoners, citing in particular SAVAK's ruthlessness in Iran. From this, I'll go out on a limb and suggest that she'd be outraged at waterboarding, the abuses at Abu Ghraib, and the whole sorry mess that is Guantanamo Bay.

  • Rand supported open immigration. 'Nuff said.

  • Rand found the Confederacy repulsive, the damned Marxist minx!


See, like I said, the woman is clearly part of the loony left :blink:

And FWIW, modern conservatives do not like the free market either. They do not like it at all. They love them some subsidies and the rest. Hank Paulson, Wesley Mouch, same difference.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

User avatar
Maurepas
Post Czar
 
Posts: 36403
Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:28 am

You-Gi-Owe wrote:"Atlas Shrugged" is like the Bible

Truer words hath never been spoken. About the book, and its followers. :)

User avatar
Staenwald
Senator
 
Posts: 4244
Founded: Oct 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Staenwald » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:12 am

Maurepas wrote:
You-Gi-Owe wrote:"Atlas Shrugged" is like the Bible

Truer words hath never been spoken. About the book, and its followers. :)


I'm a bible?
Found my sig 6 months after joining...thanks Norstal.
Lord Tothe wrote:Well, if Karl Marx turns out to be right, I....I'll eat my hat! As a side note, I need to create a BaconHat (TM) for any such occasions where I may end up actually having to eat my hat. Of course, this isn't one of them.

Katganistan wrote:"You got some Galt not swallowing this swill."

The Black Forrest wrote:Oh go Galt yourself.

User avatar
Maurepas
Post Czar
 
Posts: 36403
Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:17 am

Staenwald wrote:
Maurepas wrote:Truer words hath never been spoken. About the book, and its followers. :)


I'm a bible?

Heh heh heh, not quite what I meant, but I can see where it could be taken that way. More that the ideas presented lack historical basis and validity. And it takes alot of faith to believe otherwise.

User avatar
Staenwald
Senator
 
Posts: 4244
Founded: Oct 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Staenwald » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:27 am

Maurepas wrote:
Staenwald wrote:
I'm a bible?

Heh heh heh, not quite what I meant, but I can see where it could be taken that way. More that the ideas presented lack historical basis and validity. And it takes alot of faith to believe otherwise.

recent events have been remarkably resemblant to those in the book, although as an objectivist myself, i wouldn't think to use the book as the answer to everything...you'd read her non-fiction stuff, and use credible evidence for things. it is a good example of posing a question of morality.
Last edited by Staenwald on Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Found my sig 6 months after joining...thanks Norstal.
Lord Tothe wrote:Well, if Karl Marx turns out to be right, I....I'll eat my hat! As a side note, I need to create a BaconHat (TM) for any such occasions where I may end up actually having to eat my hat. Of course, this isn't one of them.

Katganistan wrote:"You got some Galt not swallowing this swill."

The Black Forrest wrote:Oh go Galt yourself.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aclion, Bogan Laker, Chernoslavia, Chuukango, Crylante, Dumb Ideologies, East Angria, Estanglia, Evil Dictators Happyland, Fartsniffage, Federal Spanish States, FelrikTheDeleted, Google [Bot], Graag Brom, Greater Carolinas, Grinning Dragon, Hammer Britannia, Jebslund, Kenmoria, Kragholm Free States, Licana, Loben, Proctopeo, Room 324, Salus Maior, San Lumen, Shrillland, Tarsonis, The Federal District of Vice Santos, The Rapture Republic, The Xenopolis Confederation, Thermodolia, Torrocca, TwiDashia, Vassenor, Voluntua, Yahoo [Bot]

Advertisement

Remove ads