NATION

PASSWORD

Online Poker Seizure (U.S.)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
ZombieRothbard
Minister

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Online Poker Seizure (U.S.)

Postby ZombieRothbard » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:54 pm

The founders of the three largest online poker sites were indicted on Friday in what could serve as a death blow to a thriving industry.

Eleven executives at PokerStars, Full Tilt Poker, Absolute Poker and a number of their affiliates were charged with bank fraud and money laundering in an indictment unsealed in a Manhattan court. Two of the defendants were arrested on Friday morning in Utah and Nevada. Federal agents are searching for the others.

Prosecutors are seeking to immediately shut down the sites and to eventually send the executives to jail and to recover $3 billion from the companies. By Friday afternoon Full Tilt Poker’s site displayed a message explaining that “this domain name has been seized by the F.B.I. pursuant to an Arrest Warrant.”

The online gambling industry has taken off over the last decade, drawing an estimated 15 million Americans to bet online.

In 2006 Congress passed a law curtailing online gambling. Most of the leading sites found ways to work around the law, but prosecutors allege that in doing so they broke the law.

“These defendants concocted an elaborate criminal fraud scheme, alternately tricking some U.S. banks and effectively bribing others to assure the continued flow of billions in illegal gambling profits,” Preet Bharara, the U.S. attorney in Manhattan, said in a statement.

Poker fans took to Twitter in droves, worried about the money in their online gaming accounts, fretting that online poker's days were at an end.

"Well the good news is I think I only had about $300 left on the online poker sites overall," tweeted Jimi Schindler of Madison, Wis. "Maybe I'll see that money?!!?"

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/money_c ... y-fbi.html

You guys are running out of excuses not to be libertarians...
Ben is a far-right social libertarian. He is also a non-interventionist and culturally liberal. Ben's scores (from 0 to 10):
Economic issues: +8.74 right
Social issues: +9.56 libertarian
Foreign policy: +10 non-interventionist
Cultural identification: +7.74 liberal
"NSG, where anything more progressive than North Korea is a freedom loving, liberal Utopia"
- GeneralHaNor

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:57 pm

Fuck off with that libertarian shit. Big business can be just as tyrannical as elected government.

That said, this is some stupid shit and the gubment can fuck itself.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:58 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:Fuck off with that libertarian shit. Big business can be just as tyrannical as elected government.

That said, this is some stupid shit and the gubment can fuck itself.

I guess they'll be acquitted then.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Woot We Are Teapots
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Woot We Are Teapots » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:59 pm

Gambling attracts a criminal element - who woulda thunk it?

Sorratsin
Minister

Founded: Feb 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sorratsin » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:00 pm

Maybe the computer lab at my college will have people working in it for a change.

ZombieRothbard
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby ZombieRothbard » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:01 pm

Woot We Are Teapots wrote:Gambling attracts a criminal element - who woulda thunk it?

I play internet poker, I am not a criminal. I have never harmed anyone in my life. And I fail to see how banning online poker in the U.S. would dissuade a "criminal element".
Ben is a far-right social libertarian. He is also a non-interventionist and culturally liberal. Ben's scores (from 0 to 10):
"NSG, where anything more progressive than North Korea is a freedom loving, liberal Utopia"
- GeneralHaNor

ZombieRothbard
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby ZombieRothbard » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:02 pm

Sorratsin wrote:Maybe the computer lab at my college will have people working in it for a change.

Many people support themselves and their families playing online poker. For many Americans, poker is work.
- GeneralHaNor

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:03 pm

ZombieRothbard wrote:
Sorratsin wrote:Maybe the computer lab at my college will have people working in it for a change.

Many people support themselves and their families playing online poker. For many Americans, poker is work.

How many, please?
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

ZombieRothbard
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby ZombieRothbard » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:13 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
ZombieRothbard wrote:

How many, please?

A professional poker player is often defined as somebody who plays 40+ hours a week, and makes 40+ dollars an hour (according to Sklansky). I am unsure how many professional poker players there are out there, I am sure statistics are available online. It is rather unimportant though.
- GeneralHaNor

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:15 pm

ZombieRothbard wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:How many, please?

A professional poker player is often defined as somebody who plays 40+ hours a week, and makes 40+ dollars an hour (according to Sklansky). I am unsure how many professional poker players there are out there, I am sure statistics are available online. It is rather unimportant though.

I don't know, you implied this is denying "many people" and "many Americans" their livelihood. Seems reasonable to ask you to show how many people that would be.

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:46 pm

ZombieRothbard wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:How many, please?

It's a parasitical industry that has attracted second order parasites. I wouldn't be so keen on defending it. Literally nothing of value was lost, and meanwhile, people will stop gambling with money they forward from credit cards. I am unconcerned.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Sorratsin
Minister

Founded: Feb 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sorratsin » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:48 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
ZombieRothbard wrote:

It's a parasitical industry that has attracted second order parasites. I wouldn't be so keen on defending it. Literally nothing of value was lost, and meanwhile, people will stop gambling with money they forward from credit cards. I am unconcerned.

If it's keeping people off of welfare and unemployment programs it has at least a marginal positive effect on society. That's a big if, though, I doubt the business would've been successful if tons of people were earning their living off it.

Mongolian Khanate
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mongolian Khanate » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:48 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
ZombieRothbard wrote:

Meh, I don't really care either way. I'm in a conflict of interests thought, my family made a lot of it's money with the gambling industry.
When ever you get balls deep into the study of philosophy, you get really anal about definitions.
Trotskylvania

Imperium Neo Roma
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperium Neo Roma » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:50 pm

These men shouldn't be arrested. They should continue to do what they do best, taking money from those stupid enough to gamble their money away, it's a valuable life lesson it is.
It is not these well-fed long-haired men that I fear, but the pale and the hungry-looking.-Julius Caesar
Germany has reduced savagery to a science, and this great war for the victorious peace of justice must go on until the German cancer is cut clean out of the world body, -Theodore Roosevelt

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:55 pm

OMG, FBI does it's jobs and uses search warrants to recover stolen property. The world is ending.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:59 pm

Oh wow, people get arrested from bank fraud and money laundering. This means that anarchy is best for all.

1. Criminals get arrested.
2. ???
3. Anarchy.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Mongolian Khanate
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mongolian Khanate » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:00 pm

Norstal wrote:Oh wow, people get arrested from bank fraud and money laundering. This means that anarchy is best for all.

2. ???
3. Anarchy.

4. PROFIT!!!!
When ever you get balls deep into the study of philosophy, you get really anal about definitions.
Trotskylvania

ZombieRothbard
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby ZombieRothbard » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:01 pm

Caninope wrote:OMG, FBI does it's jobs and uses search warrants to recover stolen property. The world is ending.

Stolen property?
- GeneralHaNor

Industrial Republics
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Industrial Republics » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:02 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
ZombieRothbard wrote:

Natural selection.

ZombieRothbard
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby ZombieRothbard » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:02 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
ZombieRothbard wrote:

The entertainment industry is parasitic?
- GeneralHaNor

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:02 pm

ZombieRothbard wrote:
Caninope wrote:OMG, FBI does it's jobs and uses search warrants to recover stolen property. The world is ending.

Stolen property?

The money they gained through fraudulent practices.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

ZombieRothbard
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby ZombieRothbard » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:03 pm

Sorratsin wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:It's a parasitical industry that has attracted second order parasites. I wouldn't be so keen on defending it. Literally nothing of value was lost, and meanwhile, people will stop gambling with money they forward from credit cards. I am unconcerned.

If it's keeping people off of welfare and unemployment programs it has at least a marginal positive effect on society. That's a big if, though, I doubt the business would've been successful if tons of people were earning their living off it.

Is that a problem with welfare and unemployment programs, or the gambling industry?
- GeneralHaNor

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:03 pm

Norstal wrote:Oh wow, people get arrested from bank fraud and money laundering. This means that anarchy is best for all.

2. ???
3. Anarchy.

^This. If they were found guilty of laundering and fraud, then they should be punished for it.

ZombieRothbard
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby ZombieRothbard » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:05 pm

Caninope wrote:
ZombieRothbard wrote:
Stolen property?

The money they gained through fraudulent practices.

Participants in online gambling voluntarily chose to play against each other for real money. Winning money from somebody who voluntarily chose to compete against you is not theft.
- GeneralHaNor

TruthSpeaker
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby TruthSpeaker » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:05 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
ZombieRothbard wrote:

Its simply another form of entertainment, no more leaching off people than the music industry or whatever you prefer.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General