NATION

PASSWORD

male's choice in abortion

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:10 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:If I understand him, he's saying that if the woman gets pregnant and wants to keep the child, but the man doesn't and would rather she had an abortion, he should be allowed a free pass on child support and what-not.

whats that have to do with adoption?

Uhm ... Okay, adoption is an alternative to abortion. Basically, if the man says he doesn't want anything to do with the kid, that should be his right.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Darkshadowskyguy
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Darkshadowskyguy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:11 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:what in the world are you proposing?

forcing women to have babies that no one wants? letting men walk away from their children? giving men a say in whether or not a woman can have an abortion at all?

If I understand him, he's saying that if the woman gets pregnant and wants to keep the child, but the man doesn't and would rather she had an abortion, he should be allowed a free pass on child support and what-not.

Initially anyway I'm going to go away from the computer for awhile so feel free to talk about this subject while I'm gone.
The nation of darkshadowskyguy's M.B.T is the apocalypse class tanks which mostly consists of a 80 ton levitating tank With four laser cannons, one A.A cannon and one artillery cannon they are also currently powered by a nuclear fission engine, made from rare alloys that are only found in the region of kongregate, and have barriers that can burn through and block anything physical and also block most lasers. The code name for the tank is oblivion, and other than that no information about volume of tank, color, or shape is known publicly.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:12 am

Darkshadowskyguy wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:If I understand him, he's saying that if the woman gets pregnant and wants to keep the child, but the man doesn't and would rather she had an abortion, he should be allowed a free pass on child support and what-not.

Initially anyway I'm going to go away from the computer for awhile so feel free to talk about this subject while I'm gone.

Gosh, thanks!
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:12 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:whats that have to do with adoption?

Uhm ... Okay, adoption is an alternative to abortion. Basically, if the man says he doesn't want anything to do with the kid, that should be his right.

Would not wanting anything to do with the child include the right to refuse to pay child support?
The Blaatschapen should resign

Bitchkitten
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 29, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Bitchkitten » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:14 am

Winning Tiger Blood wrote:If you don't want a kid use a condom or get a vasectomy, or don't have sex at all, if you make the choice to have sex, live with the potential of at least 18 years of crying, screaming, barfing misery.

How Biblical of you. Sex should carry enormous risk for those sinful enough to engage in it.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004

Postby Ashmoria » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:14 am

Darkshadowskyguy wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:what in the world are you proposing?

forcing women to have babies that no one wants? letting men walk away from their children? giving men a say in whether or not a woman can have an abortion at all?

Where had I proposed that woman should be forced to have babies? More or less what I had proposed was the man to have the right to not pay child support if the woman decides to have the child when the male wanted her to have an abortion. No where did I say she would be legally required to have the abortion or not if the man said so I had however said the male should have the right to not be forced to pay child support, however of course if the man wants to be a part of the child's life he should be allowed to try to get joint custody with the woman. (or if one of the parents proves not to be fit for it they are out of the question to have custody) There are a few options I have not said on this topic yet.

i was asking because you are not a particularly clear writer.

it makes no social sense to let men walk away from their children. they should have to support all their children whether they wanted them or not. just like the mother has to.

or if they both wish to give the child up for adoption it is their moral and legal duty to make sure that that is done in a legal manner and provides the child with the best possible future.
whatever

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:14 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Uhm ... Okay, adoption is an alternative to abortion. Basically, if the man says he doesn't want anything to do with the kid, that should be his right.

Would not wanting anything to do with the child include the right to refuse to pay child support?

I'm not sure what the laws are in the individual states, but I believe that if you can prove paternity, you can require the father to pay support.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:15 am

Winning Tiger Blood wrote:If you don't want a kid use a condom or get a vasectomy, or don't have sex at all, if you make the choice to have sex, live with the potential of at least 18 years of crying, screaming, barfing misery.

You cried, screamed and barfed for the first 18 years of your life? :blink:

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:18 am

The only choice a man has is the one that the mother gives him. Often times that choice ends at ejaculation.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:19 am

Farnhamia wrote:

They never said the years were consecutive. I cried, screamed and barfed the first few. Then I barfed again when I started to discover alcohol and I intend to cry and scream again when I'm getting senile :p
The Blaatschapen should resign

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:20 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:You cried, screamed and barfed for the first 18 years of your life? :blink:

They never said the years were consecutive. I cried, screamed and barfed the first few. Then I barfed again when I started to discover alcohol and I intend to cry and scream again when I'm getting senile :p

Excellent point. :lol:

UCUMAY
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby UCUMAY » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:20 am

I'm having deja vu....
The Proclaimed Psycho on NSG
About me
I may be young, and that's okay. Since age does not always bring wisdom. I may be stubborn to the point of stupidity; but at least I fight for my beliefs. I may be fooled by a lie; but I can then say I trusted. My heart may get broken however, then I can say I truly loved. With all this said I have lived. :D

I'm politically syncretic so stop asking. :)
My political and social missions

Kongra
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kongra » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:22 am

Opting out of child support makes no sense since child support is for the rights of the child, not of the mother. Demanding abortion, on the other hand, also makes no sense as it violates the very right abortion was legalised for in the first place: the right to one's body.

So really the man is stuck with the consequences. The only choice he really has is convincing the mother to either adopt or abort before that baby is born. After that, you have to pay up. Crappy deal? Yes, but it's the most fair deal we can make.
Economic Left/Right: -6.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.51

UCUMAY
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby UCUMAY » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:23 am

Kongra wrote:Opting out of child support makes no sense since child support is for the rights of the child, not of the mother. Demanding abortion, on the other hand, also makes no sense as it violates the very right abortion was legalised for in the first place: the right to one's body.

So really the man is stuck with the consequences. The only choice he really has is convincing the mother to either adopt or abort before that baby is born. After that, you have to pay up. Crappy deal? Yes, but it's the most fair deal we can make.

This... Plus women have the shitty end of the stick where birthing and child rearing are concerned.
About me
I may be young, and that's okay. Since age does not always bring wisdom. I may be stubborn to the point of stupidity; but at least I fight for my beliefs. I may be fooled by a lie; but I can then say I trusted. My heart may get broken however, then I can say I truly loved. With all this said I have lived. :D

Bitchkitten
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Bitchkitten » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:25 am

SaintB wrote:The only choice a man has is the one that the mother gives him. Often times that choice ends at ejaculation.

My brother has two kids precisely because he tends to think of birth control as a womans responsibility. If you aren't absolutely positive your partner is using reliable birth control, use a condom guys.

Winning Tiger Blood
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Winning Tiger Blood » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:27 am

Bitchkitten wrote:

How Biblical of you. Sex should carry enormous risk for those sinful enough to engage in it.

I'm an atheist, friend; but I still use the pill when I'm engaging in sex in a long term monogamous relationship, or condoms when I engage in sex with someone who hasn't earned that trust. It's not biblical, it's responsible. There is a difference.

And for the record, god said be fruitful and multiply, nothing about your responsibility afterwards, or did you forget his condoning of casting Ishmael away to appease Sarah?

Winning Tiger Blood
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Winning Tiger Blood » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:29 am

Farnhamia wrote:

Teenagers cry and scream a lot, and I totally projectile vomited at 18, which my mom had to clean up, after driving me to emerge

Bitchkitten
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Bitchkitten » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:31 am

Winning Tiger Blood wrote:
Bitchkitten wrote:How Biblical of you. Sex should carry enormous risk for those sinful enough to engage in it.

I'm an atheist, friend; but I still use the pill when I'm engaging in sex in a long term monogamous relationship, or condoms when I engage in sex with someone who hasn't earned that trust. It's not biblical, it's responsible. There is a difference.

And for the record, god said be fruitful and multiply, nothing about your responsibility afterwards, or did you forget his condoning of casting Ishmael away to appease Sarah?

I'm responsible too. Hence I have no kids. But my youngest brother was concieved while my mother was on the pill. It happens.

Winning Tiger Blood
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Winning Tiger Blood » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:32 am

Bitchkitten wrote:
Winning Tiger Blood wrote:I'm an atheist, friend; but I still use the pill when I'm engaging in sex in a long term monogamous relationship, or condoms when I engage in sex with someone who hasn't earned that trust. It's not biblical, it's responsible. There is a difference.

I'm responsible too. Hence I have no kids. But my youngest brother was concieved while my mother was on the pill. It happens.

But it's rare, especially if used properly, and the pills now are more effective than older forms

UCUMAY
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby UCUMAY » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:33 am

Winning Tiger Blood wrote:
Bitchkitten wrote:I'm responsible too. Hence I have no kids. But my youngest brother was concieved while my mother was on the pill. It happens.

But it's rare, especially if used properly, and the pills now are more effective than older forms

Implants and IUDs better yet.
About me

Urwumpe
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Urwumpe » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:37 am

No. You have the choice to accept the result of your ten minutes of fun, or at least pay for getting out of the responsibility easily. The rest is already 80% the responsibility of the mother, since it is her body that also has to bear the consequences of an abortion that went wrong. If you can convince her that an abortion would be the best, fine for you. if she doesn't think so and prefers to have the child, it is your psychological choice how fine it is for you.

But practically speaking:

If you don't want the risk of children, don't have sex at all.

If you can live with a small risk, follow any contraceptive leaflet to the letter. They can still randomly fail, but not as often as if you use them like a bloody noob.

Alternatively, volunteer cleaning up the mess in Fukushima. 150 mSv radiation at your crown jewels gives you a high chance to be infertile for two weeks.

If risk makes your life worth living, use contraceptives like you drive your car. Always on the limit and forget the manual, that you have seen once. Manuals are for noobs anyway.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:38 am

Bitchkitten wrote:
SaintB wrote:The only choice a man has is the one that the mother gives him. Often times that choice ends at ejaculation.

My brother has two kids precisely because he tends to think of birth control as a womans responsibility. If you aren't absolutely positive your partner is using reliable birth control, use a condom guys.

With all do respect to yourself... your brother is a dumbass.

This is for another discussion but I'm unable to use condoms so I have to rely on my partner to be the one using birth control.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

UCUMAY
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby UCUMAY » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:39 am

SaintB wrote:
Bitchkitten wrote:My brother has two kids precisely because he tends to think of birth control as a womans responsibility. If you aren't absolutely positive your partner is using reliable birth control, use a condom guys.

With all do respect to yourself... your brother is a dumbass.

This is for another discussion but I'm unable to use condoms so I have to rely on my partner to be the one using birth control.

*blinks* they do make them with different materials and unlubricated... That takes care of most allergies.
Last edited by UCUMAY on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
About me

Bitchkitten
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Bitchkitten » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:42 am

UCUMAY wrote:
Winning Tiger Blood wrote:But it's rare, especially if used properly, and the pills now are more effective than older forms

Implants and IUDs better yet.

I really wanted the Depo-Provera shots when they first came out, but my psychiatrist nixed it. I'm bipolar and the shots can sause severe depression in normal women.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:43 am

UCUMAY wrote:
SaintB wrote:With all do respect to yourself... your brother is a dumbass.

*blinks* they do make them with different materials and unlubricated... That takes care of most allergies.

Its not allergies to the materials... I could deal with that. Its more complicated :(
Last edited by SaintB on Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General