NATION

PASSWORD

Debt Ceiling To Be GOP "Leverage Moment"

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:39 am

Lord Tothe wrote:How's this: no more deficits, cut spending across the board? Cut the military, end redundant departments, consolidate federal services, transfer all welfare and education programs to the state level, end federal foreign aid, end farm and industry subsidies, and generally act like we people do where we have budgets and compromises in our personal finance - AND DON'T TAX ME MORE FOR YOUR ASININE CHOICES! I didn't consent to these programs you want to fund to feather your own nests and guarantee your next election.

Your consent is implied in your continuing to live in the country. You can always vote for people who agree with you and change things.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Lerro
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Lerro » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:40 am

Wreck the economy? Yeah. Okay.

Provisional America
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 14, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Provisional America » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:41 am

The link I have for my IC Constitution shows one that isn't perfect, but is a considerable improvement, hamstringing the Feds as it should.
My politics have shifted somewhat leftward, but my nation so far hasn't quite moved as far to the left.
I don't date. Why should I? Too many foodie calls happening.
"Then why do you alter the Law to suit yourselves? In a thousand ways, you have perverted not only Moses, but the Nazarene, and you have done so ever since the blasphemous Paul of Tarsus said, 'Christ is the end of the Law.' You are neither Hebrew nor Galilean, but opportunists!" - Julian by the late, great Gore Vidal

Lerro
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lerro » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:41 am

Didn't Obama vote against raising the debt limit in '06? Why did he want to wreck the economy?
Last edited by Lerro on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:42 am

Lerro wrote:Didn't Obama vot against raising the debt limit in '06? Why did he want to wreck the economy?

He did. He was confident that it would pass anyway, he says.
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:42 am

Provisional America wrote:
Lord Tothe wrote:How's this: no more deficits, cut spending across the board? Cut the military, end redundant departments, consolidate federal services, transfer all welfare and education programs to the state level, end federal foreign aid, end farm and industry subsidies, and generally act like we people do where we have budgets and compromises in our personal finance - AND DON'T TAX ME MORE FOR YOUR ASININE CHOICES! I didn't consent to these programs you want to fund to feather your own nests and guarantee your next election.

You, sir, have what we in America call "common sense". 8)

the same sort of common sense that says that a 16 pound bowling ball should fall faster than a 3 ounce bouncy ball.

Provisional America
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Provisional America » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:45 am

Lerro wrote:Didn't Obama vote against raising the debt limit in '06? Why did he want to wreck the economy?

Frugality won't wreck the economy, but our crippling national debt will, if it is allowed to continue.

Of course, getting out of these damned "nation-building" wars would be a start. We went into Afghanistan to get bin Laden. He's still missing and we're still there, a decade later. Give it up already. He's probably in Germany now, if he isn't dead. If we were going to catch him, we would have. This business of repeating the Soviet mistake of 1979 is just plain dumb.
My politics have shifted somewhat leftward, but my nation so far hasn't quite moved as far to the left.
"Then why do you alter the Law to suit yourselves? In a thousand ways, you have perverted not only Moses, but the Nazarene, and you have done so ever since the blasphemous Paul of Tarsus said, 'Christ is the end of the Law.' You are neither Hebrew nor Galilean, but opportunists!" - Julian by the late, great Gore Vidal

Lord Tothe
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Lord Tothe » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:46 am

You, sir, have what we in America call "common sense". 8) Just beware. The Left will crucify you for it or burn you at the stake for challenging their orthodoxy. Watch out for the Red Inquisition.

The right won't like my appeal to cut the military or end industry subsidies.

Farnhamia wrote:Your consent is implied in your continuing to live in the country. You can always vote for people who agree with you and change things.

Lolz. No matter where I may choose to move, you would assume I consent to whatever government exists in that other region, too. And do you really think voting means anything? It's just slaves trying to pick their foreman every few years.

NATURAL LAW; OR THE SCIENCE OF JUSTICE
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:[...] TLDR; welcome to the internet. Bicker or GTFO.
"Why is self-control, autonomy, such a threat to authority? Because the person who controls himself, who is his own master, has no need for an authority to be his master. This, then, renders authority unemployed. What is he to do if he cannot control others? To be sure, he could mind his own business. But that is a fatuous answer, for those who are satisfied to mind their own business do not aspire to become authorities." ~ Thomas Szasz

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:47 am

Lerro wrote:Didn't Obama vote against raising the debt limit in '06? Why did he want to wreck the economy?

Frugality won't wreck the economy, but our crippling national debt will, if it is allowed to continue.

Of course, getting out of these damned "nation-building" wars would be a start. We went into Afghanistan to get bin Laden. He's still missing and we're still there, a decade later. Give it up already. He's probably in Germany now, if he isn't dead. If we were going to catch him, we would have. This business of repeating the Soviet mistake of 1979 is just plain dumb.

And where were you in 2001 and 2003? Protesting loudly, no doubt, writing your elected representatives every day.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:48 am

A default would wreck the economy.
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Provisional America
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Provisional America » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:50 am

Lord Tothe wrote:
You, sir, have what we in America call "common sense". 8) Just beware. The Left will crucify you for it or burn you at the stake for challenging their orthodoxy. Watch out for the Red Inquisition.

Farnhamia wrote:Your consent is implied in your continuing to live in the country. You can always vote for people who agree with you and change things.

Lolz. No matter where I may choose to move, you would assume I consent to whatever government exists in that other region, too. And do you really think voting means anything? It's just slaves trying to pick their foreman every few years.

Good luck with that. Anarcho-capitalism is the ideal state and final objective, but reaching it will take about a dozen revolutions.

In case you haven't figured out, I'm hardly a neo-con. The neo-cons these lefties no doubt swat and crush every day, because they are so silly and inconsistent. That's why the radical libertarian/minarchist/anarcho-capitalist movement confuses the left. They still don't know how to present their case. They think their arguments are convincing and compelling, but only if you accept their flawed premise. I don't, just as I reject the premises of neo-cons and the religious right.
Last edited by Provisional America on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:53 am

Provisional America wrote:Frugality won't wreck the economy, but our crippling national debt will, if it is allowed to continue.

actually, 'frugality' has been acting as a serious retardant on the recovery, and the proposed further cuts are expected to cost a couple hundred thousand jobs and drag down GDP by a percent or two. adding much more to the debt, on the other hand, would be excellent for the economy right now.

literally, we are still in a situation where we would benefit from paying people to dig holes and paying other people to fill them back in - though obviously we'd benefit even more from more productive uses of labor.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:53 am

Lord Tothe wrote:

I expected no less. :roll:

Lerro
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Lerro » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:54 am

Free Soviets wrote:
Provisional America wrote:Frugality won't wreck the economy, but our crippling national debt will, if it is allowed to continue.

actually, 'frugality' has been acting as a serious retardant on the recovery, and the proposed further cuts are expected to cost a couple hundred thousand jobs and drag down GDP by a percent or two. adding much more to the debt, on the other hand, would be excellent for the economy right now.

literally, we are still in a situation where we would benefit from paying people to dig holes and paying other people to fill them back in - though obviously we'd benefit even more from more productive uses of labor.

:clap:

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:57 am

Free Soviets wrote:

Oh you know that they'll only do that when there's a Republican in the White House, THAT way they can claim that they solved the job crisis while Obama would be equated to Hoover.

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:04 am

Free Soviets wrote:also, you know, republican leadership is bad for the economy on every measure for everyone except the tiniest sliver of the elite. there's data on this and everything!

This is true. Because it is true of all leadership since Ford. Fiddling with tax policy isn't going to reverse the structural trends here.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:05 am

Wait, did the article in the OP seriously say that the Republicans were going to try to reduce the deficit by cutting taxes?

Late Republican Rome
Envoy

Founded: Nov 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Late Republican Rome » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:07 am

Well, ancient Rome had no income tax, and they met their budget most years. Then again, their welfare state was small, too. Just the grain dole, which was supplemented by private donations.
The patriarchy only exists in the same way as Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy. It's a fairy tale.
"NO BETTER FRIEND. NO WORSE ENEMY." the epitaph of Lucius Cornelius Sulla Felix, Dictator of Rome.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:08 am

Tahar Joblis wrote:Wait, did the article in the OP seriously say that the Republicans were going to try to reduce the deficit by cutting taxes?

Of course, cutting taxes is the universal remedy for everything that ails you.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:11 am

Late Republican Rome wrote:Well, ancient Rome had no income tax, and they met their budget most years. Then again, their welfare state was small, too. Just the grain dole, which was supplemented by private donations.

Rome used a head-tax instead. Don't make it out that they never taxed anyone. The Empire also had an extensive ... empire from which to draw funds. And there were periodic financial crises and currency devaluations, too. It wasn't as simple as you make it out.

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:12 am

Free Soviets wrote:

But if the economy is looking up, folks will re-elect Obama. :o

Hence it's not in the interest of the Republican party to do anything to help the economy.

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:22 am

Tahar Joblis wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:actually, 'frugality' has been acting as a serious retardant on the recovery, and the proposed further cuts are expected to cost a couple hundred thousand jobs and drag down GDP by a percent or two. adding much more to the debt, on the other hand, would be excellent for the economy right now.

But if the economy is looking up, folks will re-elect Obama. :o

Hence it's not in the interest of the Republican party to do anything to help the economy.

Exactly.

F1-Insanity
Minister

Founded: Jul 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby F1-Insanity » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:23 am

Free Soviets wrote:

Where do you suggest the money comes from to pay for people digging 'effin holes'?

Oh wait... more borrowing...

wow, how responsible of you... spoken like a typical democrat: goodies NOW, screw the next generations.
F1-Insanity Factbook
World Bowl XII: Winner
Why yes, I am a progressive and social human being, thanks for asking!
Think about the numbers in terms that we can relate to. Remove eight zeros from the numbers and pretend it is the household budget for the fictitious Jones family:
-Total annual income for the Jones family: $21,700
-Amount of money the Jones family spent: $38,200
-Amount of new debt added to the credit card: $16,500
-Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710

-Amount cut from the budget: $385
Help us Obi Ben Bernanki, printing more money is our only hope... for a big bonus! - Wall Street
Bush's 'faith' was the same political tool as Obama's 'hope'.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:26 am

F1-Insanity wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:actually, 'frugality' has been acting as a serious retardant on the recovery, and the proposed further cuts are expected to cost a couple hundred thousand jobs and drag down GDP by a percent or two. adding much more to the debt, on the other hand, would be excellent for the economy right now.

Where do you suggest the money comes from to pay for people digging 'effin holes'?

wow, how responsible of you... spoken like a typical democrat: goodies NOW, screw the next generations.

You miss the rest of the plan. The hole-diggers spend that money, the economy improves, the hole-diggers get jobs doing something else, the hole-digging project gets shut down, tax revenue goes up as more people work and the deficit is reduced. You need to think this stuff through, you know.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:27 am

F1-Insanity wrote:

Or, you know, stop handing out tax cuts to people who don't need them, aren't using them, and are not doing us any good and then turning around and whining, "We don't have any money, clearly it's time once again to fuck over the defenseless!"
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General