NATION

PASSWORD

Debt Ceiling To Be GOP "Leverage Moment"

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sorratsin
Minister

Founded: Feb 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sorratsin » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:31 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Sorratsin wrote:
I'm not a fan of his position on drugs and Israel.

are his positions different from every other american politician's?

Not sure, I don't know the views of every American politician.

He is a vehement proponent of Israel, though. I don't want to see the U.S. involved in another war.

Syvorji
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Syvorji » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:32 pm

Boy, the politics in America makes us feel good why we have a strong modern economy, against the USA, yet with strong "human rights," and we have no camps. Just true freedom! Really, if we are going to go down this path, I must say, by golly, why not make Siad Barre an American President. Why? Because since 1969, the DPRK has supported the XHKS, and the XHKS supports us, so therefore, we need Siad Barre. Siad Barre, where are you?

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:35 pm

Wamitoria wrote:
Wilgrove wrote:
After how many times of changing their mind and stall tactics?

And losing most of the things their base wanted...

Most of the things they wanted was insane and would've hurt the American people more than help them.

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:37 pm

Wilgrove wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:And losing most of the things their base wanted...

Most of the things they wanted was insane and would've hurt the American people more than help them.

And from what I'm hearing from the Teabaggers, it doesn't matter if it hurt the American people.
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:37 pm

Wamitoria wrote:
Wilgrove wrote:

And from what I'm hearing from the Teabaggers, it doesn't matter if it hurt the American people.

Well the Teabaggers are insane.

Buurdland
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Buurdland » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:39 pm

Wamitoria wrote:
WASHINGTON -- House Republicans will demand major concessions before agreeing to raise the nation's debt ceiling, Majority Leader Eric Cantor (Va.) said on Sunday, setting the stage for another showdown over spending.

Cantor said on "Fox News Sunday" that the House GOP was emboldened by the funding deal announced on Friday, in which the Obama White House and Senate Democrats agreed to roughly $38 billion in spending cuts. Lengthy negotiations over that deal nearly left the federal government unfunded and forced to shut down, but the stakes may be even higher for the debt ceiling, which must be raised to prevent the United States from defaulting on its loans.

In exchange for raising the debt limit -- long a routine move allowing the Treasury Department to borrow more money -- House Republicans will demand further concessions to shrink the government, Cantor said.

"There comes at times leverage moments, a time when the president will capitulate to what the American people want right now," he said. "They don't want to raise taxes, they don't want borrowing to continue out of control."

The White House, meanwhile, its preparing its own long-term plan to reduce the deficit, which will be unveiled later this week, adviser David Plouffe said on "Fox News Sunday." President Barack Obama will address the matter in a speech on Wednesday, White House Communications Director Dan Pfeiffer announced on Twitter Sunday morning.

While the White House and House Republicans agree that the deficit should be reduced, their respective strategies vary widely. The House GOP plan, which was unveiled by Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) last week, would cut taxes and make major entitlement changes. Many of the cuts in the Ryan proposal would weigh most heavily on low-income Americans and senior citizens, including the replacement of Medicare with a voucher-like program forcing seniors to use government money to pay for private health insurance.

Obama did not address entitlements in his 2012 budget, which was unveiled earlier this year, but the president will request some changes to Medicare in the plan to be released this week, Plouffe said.
Story continues below
Advertisement

"My hope is it will be clear ... that we can achieve deficit reduction," Plouffe said. "We don't disagree that we can't continue on this fiscal path."

Plouffe urged Republicans not to hold up the debt ceiling vote, which Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner has said must be passed before May 16. Obama himself voted against raising the debt limit when he was in the Senate -- a vote he now regrets, Plouffe said.

The White House is almost certain to face a similar battle over the debt ceiling as it did over government funding, however, as Republicans gear up to demand more cuts.

Plouffe said the negotiations over a spending deal, which was reached at the eleventh hour on Friday, showed that Obama will protect programs that are a priority, such as education and medical research. He denied that the deal showed the president, who has upped his rhetorical focus on deficit reduction in the wake of the compromise, was being pushed into cuts by Republicans.

"You can't look at any cuts as we're embracing the Republican orthodoxy," Plouffe said. "The president believes we need to reduce the deficit and cut spending, it's how you do it."

Cantor, however, said the White House and Senate Democrats "were dragged kicking and screaming to the table to cut spending."

The majority leader said that process may repeat itself in the coming debate over raising the debt ceiling, when Republicans plan to demand spending caps, entitlement reform or budget process reform in exchange for further federal borrowing.

"This spending deal that was cut this week was only the beginning," he said. "This was only the first bite of the apple. We've been saying that all along."

Tl;dr: The Republicans in the house plan to use the debt ceiling and the threat of a double-dip recession to push their agenda.

I don't like where American politics are heading.

Have we really come to this? I mean, it's already bad enough that the GOP threatened to shut down the government if they didn't get what they wanted, but now, they are threatening to wreck the economy? What are your views on the situation?

I disagree with the dirty tactics, however they are correct to want to make more cuts to spending. The debt ceiling is already way to high to begin with, if it is raised there should be measures taken to ensure the new ceiling is never reached!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WhkMznIKBc&feature=player_embedded

"The greatest troll of our generation."
- The Sun
☆☆☆☆☆

"You'll never look at trolling the same way again"
- The Times
☆☆☆☆☆

"Truly sets the standard for trolling in the new decade"
- The Guardian
☆☆☆☆

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:40 pm

Wilgrove wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:And from what I'm hearing from the Teabaggers, it doesn't matter if it hurt the American people.

Well the Teabaggers are insane.

Indeed, and they make up a sizeable portion of the GOP.

So, if they decide that they aren't going to stop acting like jackasses on the debt ceiling, Obama will probably have a "fuck all y'all" moment.

Sierra Lobo
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sierra Lobo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:40 pm

Senator Obama VOTED against raising the debt ceiling before. I guess he was not playing politics back then. :lol:
Economic Left/Right: -2.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.21

"Then there are the fanatical atheists whose intolerance is the same as that of the religious fanatics, and it springs from the same source . . . They are creatures who can't hear the music of the spheres." - Einstein

“Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side”

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:40 pm

http://geekpolitics.com/obama-on-raisin ... t-ceiling/

Obama wrote:The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies.

Yay!
Last edited by Christmahanikwanzikah on Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:41 pm

would it be wrong of me to click on the bachmann ad and sign the petition to not raise the debt ceiling as "fuck you" with an email address of me@bachmannisanidiot.com?
whatever

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:42 pm

Sierra Lobo wrote:Senator Obama VOTED against raising the debt ceiling before. I guess he was not playing politics back then. :lol:

Guess which country wasn't in a recession back then?

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:43 pm

Sierra Lobo wrote:Senator Obama VOTED against raising the debt ceiling before. I guess he was not playing politics back then. :lol:

oh i dont care if every single teaparty republican votes against it as long as the sane republicans bring it up for a vote and vote for it.
whatever

Sierra Lobo
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sierra Lobo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:44 pm

Wamitoria wrote:

Guess which country wasn't in a recession back then?

Did we not have a jobless recovery that started two years ago? ..... You could fool me.... cause we are on the recovery.... a jobless one i think :)

Wait I need to clarify that cool aid from our president.
Last edited by Sierra Lobo on Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: -2.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.21

"Then there are the fanatical atheists whose intolerance is the same as that of the religious fanatics, and it springs from the same source . . . They are creatures who can't hear the music of the spheres." - Einstein

“Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side”

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:44 pm

Ashmoria wrote:would it be wrong of me to click on the bachmann ad and sign the petition to not raise the debt ceiling as "fuck you" with an email address of me@bachmannisanidiot.com?

Do it.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:50 pm

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Which is why we should elect Weiner.

A man who stands erect, firm and resolved against the dangers inherent with high national debt, his love for the American people gushing out of every pore.

I feel dirty now, :?

Lilistrea
Envoy

Founded: Mar 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lilistrea » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:56 pm

I don't know how Americans let your so-called "representatives" get away with all this childishness and recklessness.

British politicians can be a pest, but this is on a whole other level.

Talath Romina
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Talath Romina » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:03 pm

Too bad Kucinich didn't get (and had almost no hope of getting) the nomination in 2008. He wouldn't keep appeasing the GOP.
"But wandering in the summer in the woods of Neldoreth he came upon Lúthien, daughter of Thingol and Melian, at a time of evening under moonrise, as she danced upon the unfading grass in the glades beside Esgalduin. Then all pain departed from him, and he fell into an enchantment; for Lúthien was the most beautiful of all the Children of Ilúvatar."
-The Silmarillion, p. 193

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:04 pm

I predict a democrat compromise before the GOP even bats an eyelash.
And by compromise I mean cave in.
Last edited by Greed and Death on Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:08 pm

Ashmoria wrote:

oh i dont care if every single teaparty republican votes against it as long as the sane republicans bring it up for a vote and vote for it.

It shall be tabled unless as an amendment to the debt ceiling raising bill, national right to work legislation and 2,000 dollar tax is applied to each abortion.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:14 pm

I love the progression the GOP's taking here. First they threaten to take all of our rights, then they threaten to shut down the government, NOW they threaten to tank the economy. Presumably the next step involves threatening to blow up San Francisco.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:15 pm

greed and death wrote:I predict a democrat compromise before the GOP even bats an eyelash.
And by compromise I mean cave in.

Because that happened last time, right?

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:15 pm

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:I love the progression the GOP's taking here. First they threaten to take all of our rights, then they threaten to shut down the government, NOW they threaten to tank the economy. Presumably the next step involves threatening to blow up San Francisco.

well that wont be a threat, they just will. San Francisco's destruction would make California a Red state.
Barack Obama

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:16 pm

Talath Romina wrote:Too bad Kucinich didn't get (and had almost no hope of getting) the nomination in 2008. He wouldn't keep appeasing the GOP.

Yeah, he would be too busy losing the election.
Last edited by Wamitoria on Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:18 pm

Like always, xkcd has a relevant comic

Last edited by Trotskylvania on Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Late Republican Rome
Envoy

Founded: Nov 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Late Republican Rome » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:24 pm

I have a solution to the national debt, but it is drastic. Partition the country. Then the national debt becomes a non-existent debt of a non-existent Union. And then the lefties can have their damned social safety net and spend their own taxes on it instead of the average, hard-working, middle-class and upper-middle-class taxpayers' money. Oh, wait, they are only interesting in spending other people's money, and then complaining that Bush let some of them keep more of it instead of donating to the collective.

Sorry, but not interested in your idea of "sharing the wealth", comrade. :lol2: :clap:
The patriarchy only exists in the same way as Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy. It's a fairy tale.
"NO BETTER FRIEND. NO WORSE ENEMY." the epitaph of Lucius Cornelius Sulla Felix, Dictator of Rome.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General