NATION

PASSWORD

When you were a Theist.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Caecili
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Caecili » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:36 pm

Takaram wrote:
Bum Venit Grata wrote:BTW, did u guys know that you are all infidels in another's eyes

Infidel :noun: a nonbeliever

Yep. I can't tell you how many times I've describe myself as a "filthy infidel" when asked about my religious beliefs.
Though, more properly, infidel means "unfaithful".

I usually use "Godless Heathen".
Alternate of Ursiroth. Call me "She" or "It" or "Your Holiness". Just not "He".
Is it strange to theme a country around limbless amphibians?
This will explain things: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMvL4zOLSeM

Left/Right: -7.75
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.38

Cling, clang, thunk, scraaape...

Bum Venit Grata
Attaché

Founded: Apr 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Bum Venit Grata » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:36 pm

Kubra wrote:
Oterro wrote:

I listen to Rebecca black ironically.
I'm postpostmodernist, I can no longer do irony ;_;

Where have you been all my life?!? :eek:

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:37 pm

Bum Venit Grata wrote:
Kubra wrote: I'm postpostmodernist, I can no longer do irony ;_;

I'm pretty obscure, it's no wonder you haven't heard of me.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:38 pm

My pattern went Hindu-Atheist-Hindu.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Oterro
Post Marshal

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:42 pm

Kubra wrote:
Bum Venit Grata wrote:

I'm pretty obscure, it's no wonder you haven't heard of me.

I've heard of you. Don't doubt my indy cred, Sahib.

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:My pattern went Hindu-Atheist-Hindu.

We said indy, not Indians!

I keed, I keed; what made you give up and return to Hinduism?
Last edited by Oterro on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:45 pm

Oterro wrote:
Kubra wrote: I'm pretty obscure, it's no wonder you haven't heard of me.

Naaaaah, you've heard of my previous incarnation. I figured it had like, run it course, so i changed my artistic direction.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Oterro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:52 pm

Kubra wrote:
Oterro wrote:
Naaaaah, you've heard of my previous incarnation. I figured it had like, run it course, so i changed my artistic direction.

Oh you mean when you sold out.
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:00 pm

Oterro wrote:
Kubra wrote: Naaaaah, you've heard of my previous incarnation. I figured it had like, run it course, so i changed my artistic direction.

hey man whoa no fuck you i NEVER sold out I stayed true to the scene way truer than any of you poseurs i fucking invented the scene so I can't sell out you guys just leeched off my ideas like i had to get out and start something new because you guys kept beating the dead horse you guys probably heard of me at some mainstream college party or something i wouldn't be caught dead being talked about there you're just jealous because people recognized my artistic talents and my revolutionary concepts so i got a little recognized it doesn't matter i never like got bought out or anything i am now rich and you are now.
Comrade J. Posadas

Oterro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:03 pm

Kubra wrote:
Oterro wrote:
hey man whoa no fuck you i NEVER sold out I stayed true to the scene way truer than any of you poseurs i fucking invented the scene so I can't sell out you guys just leeched off my ideas like i had to get out and start something new because you guys kept beating the dead horse you guys probably heard of me at some mainstream college party or something i wouldn't be caught dead being talked about there you're just jealous because people recognized my artistic talents and my revolutionary concepts so i got a little recognized it doesn't matter i never like got bought out or anything i am now rich and you are now.

Whatever man.

Enjoy your fucking bungalow, BMW and plasma screen TV.

Because they cost your soul.

Kubra
Post Marshal

Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:04 pm

Oterro wrote:
Kubra wrote: hey man whoa no fuck you i NEVER sold out I stayed true to the scene way truer than any of you poseurs i fucking invented the scene so I can't sell out you guys just leeched off my ideas like i had to get out and start something new because you guys kept beating the dead horse you guys probably heard of me at some mainstream college party or something i wouldn't be caught dead being talked about there you're just jealous because people recognized my artistic talents and my revolutionary concepts so i got a little recognized it doesn't matter i never like got bought out or anything i am now rich and you are now.

Whatever man.

Enjoy your fucking bungalow, BMW and plasma screen TV.

Because they cost your soul.
HEY MAN I DON'T WANNA LIKE
PREACH TO THE CONVERTED OR SOMETHING
THAT'S LIKE COUNTER PRODUCTIVE OR SOMETHING
I MEAN THEY SELL ANARCHIST BOOKS AT BORDERS.
WHY CAN'T THEY SELL MY ART AT WAL MART?
Comrade J. Posadas

Buurdland
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Buurdland » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:08 pm

The Truth and Light wrote:Many Atheists have been in this mental state at some point in their lives. There are some who were Atheists from the get go, but this is not always the case. Most of us believe in God at some point or another.

My question is, if and when you were a Theist, what was your reasoning for holding that belief? What was it that made you believe? Did you want to believe?

To be completely honest, I don't think I ever had reasoning for being a Theist. My mother approved of my readiness to worship, and my father approved of my Bible studies. It just always seemed a good thing to do in that regard. This was before I realized that I didn't have to believe something to please my parents.

I was never a theist. Honestly I can never remember believing in God. I did have, and remain to have, an open mind and plenty of imagination but I never could take the whole God/gods thing seriously. I went to a Protestant Pre-School and my best friend was a Mormon while my mother was Catholic and my father was an Atheist who greatly valued his Scandinavian heritage(basic grounds of Astaru). I had a good mix of religious views thrust upon me as a child its just I never believed any of them. To this day I am an atheist and I honest cannot see much good coming from religion and theistic beliefs, however many of my friends are theists and most are devout Christians. Just some people cannot believe, we see the world in a different light.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WhkMznIKBc&feature=player_embedded

"The greatest troll of our generation."
- The Sun
☆☆☆☆☆

"You'll never look at trolling the same way again"
- The Times
☆☆☆☆☆

"Truly sets the standard for trolling in the new decade"
- The Guardian
☆☆☆☆

Risna
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 24, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Risna » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:41 pm

Theist as in Monotheist? Or Pantheist? How about Polytheism? if so yes to all three.
”Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly. “
GENERATION 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:47 pm

I must say I find you a very shallow person.

Sunny Marionette
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sunny Marionette » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:47 pm

The Truth and Light wrote:My question is, if and when you were a Theist, what was your reasoning for holding that belief? What was it that made you believe? Did you want to believe?

I was raised that way and have always been surrounded by Christians that hold beliefs so strong they almost look Westboro (they still think I'm an ardent Christian). I didn't know an alternative, and while before I was indifferent to believing or not, now I wish I hadn't.
Formerly known as WWIIHG
Add 2357 to post count and three years to the age.
Religion: Zen Buddhist
Political Affiliation: None
Political Beliefs:Liberal most of the time

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:One time in India, I managed to draw an elaborate battle scene in the sand with my piss. Granted, my friends aided me in this matter, but we finished with Darth Vader force choking a random Jedi. It was one of the greatest achievements of our lives.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:48 pm

Sunny Marionette wrote:
The Truth and Light wrote:My question is, if and when you were a Theist, what was your reasoning for holding that belief? What was it that made you believe? Did you want to believe?

I was raised that way and have always been surrounded by Christians that hold beliefs so strong they almost look Westboro (they still think I'm an ardent Christian). I didn't know an alternative, and while before I was indifferent to believing or not, now I wish I hadn't.

You're Buddhist, right?
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

Sunny Marionette
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sunny Marionette » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:49 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Sunny Marionette wrote:I was raised that way and have always been surrounded by Christians that hold beliefs so strong they almost look Westboro (they still think I'm an ardent Christian). I didn't know an alternative, and while before I was indifferent to believing or not, now I wish I hadn't.

You're Buddhist, right?

Which is basically a guided spiritual atheist, because there is no god and it mixes easily with science. Anyways, yes.
Last edited by Sunny Marionette on Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as WWIIHG

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:One time in India, I managed to draw an elaborate battle scene in the sand with my piss. Granted, my friends aided me in this matter, but we finished with Darth Vader force choking a random Jedi. It was one of the greatest achievements of our lives.

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:51 pm

Sunny Marionette wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:You're Buddhist, right?

Which is basically a guided spiritual atheist, because there is no god and it mixes easily with science.

You follow the Dalai Lama and stuff, or are you a different branch, or are you just into the basic philosophy and not the more hardcore stuff?
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Sunny Marionette
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sunny Marionette » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:52 pm

Sunny Marionette wrote:Which is basically a guided spiritual atheist, because there is no god and it mixes easily with science.

You follow the Dalai Lama and stuff, or are you a different branch, or are you just into the basic philosophy and not the more hardcore stuff?

Definately not hardcore. More of Zen Buddhist. While I respect the Dalai Lama as Enlightened, he's not a spiritual leader to me because Enlightenment is acheived by an individual, not something you just kinda get by association. *shrugs* I "worship" independently.

EDIT: Worship isn't the right word...practice more like. : P
Last edited by Sunny Marionette on Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as WWIIHG

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:54 pm

Oterro wrote:
Kubra wrote: I'm pretty obscure, it's no wonder you haven't heard of me.

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:My pattern went Hindu-Atheist-Hindu.

I'm actually not sure. I was atheist for a short period of time, took a brief vacation to India again during the summer, and became Hindu again, though a softer one. I suppose I can be classified as Hindu atheist/agnostic (Hindu atheist is an actual branch of Hinduism.)
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Sunny Marionette
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sunny Marionette » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:56 pm

Oterro wrote:

I'm actually not sure. I was atheist for a short period of time, took a brief vacation to India again during the summer, and became Hindu again, though a softer one. I suppose I can be classified as Hindu atheist/agnostic (Hindu atheist is an actual branch of Hinduism.)

Maybe it's just me, but can't most Eastern religions become atheist religions? :p
Formerly known as WWIIHG

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:57 pm

Sunny Marionette wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:I'm actually not sure. I was atheist for a short period of time, took a brief vacation to India again during the summer, and became Hindu again, though a softer one. I suppose I can be classified as Hindu atheist/agnostic (Hindu atheist is an actual branch of Hinduism.)

Maybe it's just me, but can't most Eastern religions become atheist religions? :p

By Eastern religions, do you mean religions that started in the East, like the Indian religions, Shinto and such?
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

Zyonn
Civil Servant

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Zyonn » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:11 pm

I was raised half-arsedly Catholic by an atheist and an agnostic of Irish descent who took me to church out of a sense of duty. I hated every minute of it and told them so, so they gave me the option to be Confirmed and I refused. No fuss - none of us really believed the stuff enough to make a big deal about it.

In my early teens they sent me to Bible camp, where we played sports, had campfires, and were sat in front of ginormous TV screens for a couple of hours a day and taught that evolution was a lie, Albert Einstein was evil, and that all my friends were going to Hell to suffer for eternity if I didn't convert them. It's the only point in my life where I ever believed in a god, and it messed me up pretty good for a couple of years.

Now I am an atheist with a child on the way, and intend to raise my mini-self without religion, though I will be as honest as possible when they inevitably ask about it.

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:12 pm

The Murtunian Tribes wrote:I was a theist, then I cashed all the checks I got for my confirmation.

Same here, except it was a bar mitzvah.
Last edited by Wamitoria on Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

Caecili
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Caecili » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:15 pm

Wamitoria wrote:
The Murtunian Tribes wrote:I was a theist, then I cashed all the checks I got for my confirmation.

Same here, except it was a bar mitzvah.

Lucky goddamn theists. I never got money. I did get Skeptic magazines, though. :D
Alternate of Ursiroth. Call me "She" or "It" or "Your Holiness". Just not "He".
Is it strange to theme a country around limbless amphibians?
This will explain things: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMvL4zOLSeM

Left/Right: -7.75
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.38

Cling, clang, thunk, scraaape...

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:16 pm

Caecili wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:Same here, except it was a bar mitzvah.

Lucky goddamn theists. I never got money. I did get Skeptic magazines, though. :D

Hindus never get money... :(
Tiami is cool.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General