NATION

PASSWORD

U.S. Senators looking into punishing Quaran burning.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should the U.S. Congress try to punish Pastor Terry Jones?

Yes.
20%
Probably.
4%
Maybe - Maybe Not
6%
Doubtful.
7%
No.
63%

Total votes : 210

Kazomal
Minister

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kazomal » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:54 pm

Bottle wrote:Terry Jones is a knob, but two knobs don't make a...what's the opposite of knob, anyhow?

At any rate, while Jones was definitely being a jerkwad on purpose, that doesn't mean he's responsible for the fact that some people decided to commit murder over a book. It's like a few years back when PZ Myers desecrated a communion wafer and a bunch of Catholics flipped their shit and started calling for his head...it's all bullshit, whether it's the Christians or the Muslims or the Scientologists, it's always bullshit to allow symbols of your superstitious beliefs to have more value than human life.

I don't think it's so much a rational choice of "my beliefs are more important than human life" as it is a "I'm pissed off and want to kill you" thing, and when that's exactly the reaction you were going for, you can't honestly try to separate yourself from the results of that reaction.

Even if you don't believe in God, or respect others' beliefs, it's more than a book. It represents a part of their culture, a part of their identity. When you're pissing on the Koran, you're not just pissing on Allah, you're pissing on them. It's just a big "Fuck you!"

Obviously the people who committed the violence are responsible for their actions, but incited violence is still incited violence. Both parties can be wrong, and responsible for the violence. The mob for doing the violence, and "pastor" Jones for doing something hateful that he knew would incite violence.

Canada Remnants wrote:Its like the burning of Jewish books in Nazi-Germany......

Yeah, that's the real issue here.

Yes yes, protected speech is protected speech, we're all in agreement that he shouldn't be prosecuted. But what about the implications for our society? Not that this guy is our society, but he's a part of our society, and the widespread malevolence and suspicion, legitimized on the mass media and TV news, towards a specific ethnic group is something that we should be concerned about. So, without resorting to prosecution of protected speech, how can we combat hate towards Muslims in America?

Come on NSG, I know we can do it!
Check out Rabbit Punch, the MMA, Sports, News & Politics blog, now in two great flavors!

Rabbit Punch: Sports (MMA and Sports Blog)- http://www.rabbitpunch1.blogspot.com
Rabbit Punch: Politics (News and Politics, the Ultimate Contact Sports)- http://rabbitpunchpolitics.blogspot.com/

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:01 pm

Kazomal wrote:
Bottle wrote:Terry Jones is a knob, but two knobs don't make a...what's the opposite of knob, anyhow?

At any rate, while Jones was definitely being a jerkwad on purpose, that doesn't mean he's responsible for the fact that some people decided to commit murder over a book. It's like a few years back when PZ Myers desecrated a communion wafer and a bunch of Catholics flipped their shit and started calling for his head...it's all bullshit, whether it's the Christians or the Muslims or the Scientologists, it's always bullshit to allow symbols of your superstitious beliefs to have more value than human life.

I don't think it's so much a rational choice of "my beliefs are more important than human life" as it is a "I'm pissed off and want to kill you" thing, and when that's exactly the reaction you were going for, you can't honestly try to separate yourself from the results of that reaction.

Even if you don't believe in God, or respect others' beliefs, it's more than a book. It represents a part of their culture, a part of their identity. When you're pissing on the Koran, you're not just pissing on Allah, you're pissing on them. It's just a big "Fuck you!"

Obviously the people who committed the violence are responsible for their actions, but incited violence is still incited violence. Both parties can be wrong, and responsible for the violence. The mob for doing the violence, and "pastor" Jones for doing something hateful that he knew would incite violence.

Sorry, but I just don't buy it. I deal with people doing far worse to my beliefs EVERY SINGLE DAY and I've never tried to be violent or harm anybody else. Hell, the last two presidents of my country signed laws that specifically state that I, and people like me, are not full citizens of our country and deserve to be treated as lesser beings, yet I didn't riot. People like me didn't murder a single fucking soul over these injustices, even though these violations were actual REAL violations and not just symbolic fuck-yous.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:05 pm

Bottle wrote:
Kazomal wrote:

Hell, the last two presidents of my country signed laws that specifically state that I, and people like me, are not full citizens of our country and deserve to be treated as lesser beings, yet I didn't riot.

Wait, what are you referring to?
Last edited by Genivaria on Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:15 pm

Katganistan wrote:The pastor is an asshat, but I do believe the First Amendment still applies.

Silly Kat, rights only exist as far as your exercising them doesn't piss off other people to the extent that they start murdering third parties.

Btw, abortion is banned tomorrow in order to stem the tide of violence.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Florin and Atlantis
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Florin and Atlantis » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:24 pm

Kazomal wrote:

Canada Remnants wrote:Its like the burning of Jewish books in Nazi-Germany......

Yes yes, protected speech is protected speech, we're all in agreement that he shouldn't be prosecuted. But what about the implications for our society? Not that this guy is our society, but he's a part of our society, and the widespread malevolence and suspicion, legitimized on the mass media and TV news, towards a specific ethnic group is something that we should be concerned about. So, without resorting to prosecution of protected speech, how can we combat hate towards Muslims in America?

At the same time, you don't hear about them protesting when somebody kills innocent people in the name of Allah. Whereas in America, people protest about the War on Terror all the time.

Qatarab
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Qatarab » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:43 pm

Supposedly his church lost nearly all its parishoners due to death threats and he now carries a gun on himself. Of course the police are also supposedly going to protect them but now im just annoyed at hearing such a thing. Do you really think people want tax money to go to protect a pyscho who brought his fate upon himself? the cops have more important business to do and thats protect those who are harmed due to the actions of that retarded pastor,not the retarded pastor. If he wants protection then he should hire security services.
EDIT:I still don't see how burning a Quran is bad when in fact burning it is a way of "respectfully" disposing it. Hell i'll gather up some damaged Quran's and have them fedexed to this guy so he can start a bonfire and do the job for me. :)

Maybe we can then start a cult of the rednecks where he start bonfires and start burning "Moslem" books and chanting some strange language with an accent. Heck we'll even resurrect Hitler to lead us.... :blink: :? :eyebrow:
Last edited by Qatarab on Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I RP With:MT(5 billion) and FT(25 Billion)[may change]
Factbook
Neo Arcad wrote:
Qatarab wrote:Where's my torch? Time to burn some courts down.

Oh, you crazy Muslim you!

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:54 pm

Augarundus wrote:
SaintB wrote:People did get hurt...

The pastor didn't kill anyone.

If you want to say he's morally implicated in deaths, then fine. But he isn't legally responsible for other peoples' actions.

That's like saying a rape victim was responsible for her own rape because she dressed "inappropriately". It's ludicrous.

I do believe he is morally implicated because that was the result he wanted and expected, I know he didn't commit any actionable offense in the United States.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:11 pm

Qatarab wrote:Supposedly his church lost nearly all its parishoners due to death threats and he now carries a gun on himself. Of course the police are also supposedly going to protect them but now im just annoyed at hearing such a thing. Do you really think people want tax money to go to protect a pyscho who brought his fate upon himself? the cops have more important business to do and thats protect those who are harmed due to the actions of that retarded pastor,not the retarded pastor. If he wants protection then he should hire security services.
EDIT:I still don't see how burning a Quran is bad when in fact burning it is a way of "respectfully" disposing it. Hell i'll gather up some damaged Quran's and have them fedexed to this guy so he can start a bonfire and do the job for me. :)

Maybe we can then start a cult of the rednecks where he start bonfires and start burning "Moslem" books and chanting some strange language with an accent. Heck we'll even resurrect Hitler to lead us.... :blink: :? :eyebrow:

I look at your flag and your comment and laugh. :lol2:

Minnysota
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Minnysota » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:14 pm

Hmm, isn't the Quaran burning protected by the freedom of speech?
Minnysota - Unjustly Deleted

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:17 pm

Minnysota wrote:Hmm, isn't the Quaran burning protected by the freedom of speech?

Yes, but you have to fill out an affidavit swearing you will never spell it that way again.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Crumplarstan
Attaché

Founded: Jan 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Crumplarstan » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:18 pm

Free speech, US government can't do anything about it without creating a great contradiction of rights

Minnysota
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Minnysota » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:19 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Minnysota wrote:Hmm, isn't the Quaran burning protected by the freedom of speech?

Yes, but you have to fill out an affidavit swearing you will never spell it that way again.

... er, what?
Minnysota - Unjustly Deleted

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:42 pm

You-Gi-Owe wrote:
Reid: Probe of Quran Burning Considered
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid says congressional lawmakers are discussing taking some action in response to the Koran burnings of a Tennessee pastor that led to killings at the U.N. facility in Afghanistan and sparked protests across the Middle East, Politico reports.
“Ten to 20 people have been killed," Reid said Sunday on CBS’ “Face the Nation.” “We’ll take a look at this of course. As to whether we need hearings or not, I don’t know.”
Sen. Lindsey Graham said Congress might need to explore the need to limit some forms of freedom of speech, in light of Tennessee pastor Terry Jones’ Quran burning, and how such actions result in enabling U.S. enemies.
"I wish we could find a way to hold people accountable. Free speech is a great idea, but we're in a war," Graham told CBS' Bob Schieffer on “Face the Nation” Sunday.

Typical FOX reporting. Lemme correct their mistakes:

Reid: Probe of Quran Burning Considered
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid says congressional lawmakers are discussing posturing in response to the Koran burnings of a Tennessee pastor that led to killings at the U.N. facility in Afghanistan and sparked protests across the Middle East, Politico reports.
“Ten to 20 people have been killed," Reid said Sunday on CBS’ “Face the Nation.” “We’ll take a look at this of course. As to whether we need to pontificate in public or not, I don’t know.”
Sen. Lindsey Graham said Congress might need to blovate for public consumption, in light of Tennessee pastor Terry Jones’ Quran burning, and how such actions result in enabling U.S. enemies.
"I wish we could find a way to distract Americans from the more pressing matters that Congress should be attending to. Free speech is a great distractor, as is mentioning that we're in a war," Graham told CBS' Bob Schieffer on “Face the Nation” Sunday.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

The Norwegian Blue
Minister

Founded: Jul 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Norwegian Blue » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:07 pm

Mosasauria wrote:
Caecili wrote:Two words: Hate crime.

That's the only way he could ever be prosecuted.

I really wish people would learn what a freaking hate crime is - and, more relevantly here, what it isn't. Most notably, something has to be a crime before it can be a hate crime, and the whole concept of hate crimes affects sentencing. Not arrest. Not prosecution. Not conviction. Sentencing. You cannot prosecute someone for a non-crime, no matter how hateful that non-crime was.
Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things. - Reichskommissariat ost
...if you poop just to poop, then it is immoral. - Bandarikin
And if abortion was illegal, there wouldn't be male doctors - Green Port
Stop making a potato punch itself in the scrote after first manifesting a fist and a scrote. - RepentNowOrPayLater
And...you aren't aroused by the premise of a snot-hocking giraffe leaping through a third story bay window after a sex toy? What are you...I mean...are you some kind of weirdo or something? - Hammurab

Liuzzo
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Liuzzo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:47 pm

It's free speech. He should be allowed to do it. I will remind you that there are things we can do but it doesn't mean we should. What point is this fucking jerkoff trying to make? Is it helpful to the discussion. It's says I'm an intolerant fuckwad der de der. It does nothing more to incite anger and put service men and women in danger. General Patreus said it amongst other leaders. It is terrible and if this fool thinks he is supporting America by doing this the troops says no thank you.
Does that matter? Everyone becomes nice after they die. You never see people at funerals talking about how awful the dead person is, do you? -Meowfoundland

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:51 pm

Saying "he should be allowed to do it" implies that the freedom to engage in this act is a mere privilege that the government may revoke if it so desires. Clearly, that's not the case. Better language would be "he is entitled to do it," because that more accurately reflects the fact that it is an inherent right of his, rather than a mere boon granted by the ruler.
The Huge Mistake of Bluth Corporation
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

Champions of: World Bowl X

You should really be using Slackware

UnitedStatesOfAmerica-
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby UnitedStatesOfAmerica- » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:58 pm

Does not exist in the US. For it to be a hate crime, they have to actually kill or lynch a Muslim or two or call upon others to do so to kill maim or lynch Muslims. The burning of holy books whether the Bible Torah, Vedas, or Koran are protected by the first amendment. Even hate rallies are protected as is cross burning.

The goal has to be serious bodily injury to actual people. The Koran is not a person. It's a book written by flawed men thousands of years ago.
Land of Free Beer and the Home of the Kentucky Fried Chicken

The Norwegian Blue
Minister

Founded: Jul 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Norwegian Blue » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:10 pm

UnitedStatesOfAmerica- wrote:

Does not exist in the US. For it to be a hate crime, they have to actually kill or lynch a Muslim or two or call upon others to do so to kill maim or lynch Muslims. The burning of holy books whether the Bible Torah, Vedas, or Koran are protected by the first amendment. Even hate rallies are protected as is cross burning.

The goal has to be serious bodily injury to actual people. The Koran is not a person. It's a book written by flawed men thousands of years ago.

Not quite true - crimes other than murder, assault, battery, etc. can also be hate crimes. Vandalism and arson, for example, can absolutely be hate crimes. If I paint swastikas on a synagogue, there's a very decent chance that would be considered a hate crime. It's not that it has to be violent; it's simply that it has to be a crime, which burning one's own property simply isn't, however utterly dickish it is in this case.
Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things. - Reichskommissariat ost
...if you poop just to poop, then it is immoral. - Bandarikin
And if abortion was illegal, there wouldn't be male doctors - Green Port
Stop making a potato punch itself in the scrote after first manifesting a fist and a scrote. - RepentNowOrPayLater
And...you aren't aroused by the premise of a snot-hocking giraffe leaping through a third story bay window after a sex toy? What are you...I mean...are you some kind of weirdo or something? - Hammurab

UnitedStatesOfAmerica-
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby UnitedStatesOfAmerica- » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:39 pm

The Norwegian Blue wrote:
UnitedStatesOfAmerica- wrote:Does not exist in the US. For it to be a hate crime, they have to actually kill or lynch a Muslim or two or call upon others to do so to kill maim or lynch Muslims. The burning of holy books whether the Bible Torah, Vedas, or Koran are protected by the first amendment. Even hate rallies are protected as is cross burning.

Not quite true - crimes other than murder, assault, battery, etc. can also be hate crimes. Vandalism and arson, for example, can absolutely be hate crimes. If I paint swastikas on a synagogue, there's a very decent chance that would be considered a hate crime. It's not that it has to be violent; it's simply that it has to be a crime, which burning one's own property simply isn't, however utterly dickish it is in this case.

That is correct. However I was referring to the burning of one's own property or even the burning of a cross or Koran at a protest event. Or the dipping of the Bible in feces. I consider the Bible a sacred book but people still have a right to burn it or dip it feces as long as it is one they own and not one they stole or borrowed without consent.
These days, you don't have to be antisemetic to graffiti a synagogue with swastikas. Some kids do it because they think its cool and makes them look macho. They are just trying to score points on the popularity scale. Many don't understand the import of what they are doing.

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:26 pm

These senators are reprehensible. Even hate mongering has some place in this society, as it is protected by freedom of speech. The Quran is no more holy than the Bible, which no more holy than The Hobbit (despite the Hobbit being a much bettter written book). And even the Hobbit can be burned, even at the revulsion of Tolkien fans everywhere. And the reaction to it is equally as reprehensible. What if Tolkien fans were to arm themselves and riot over the burning of The Hobbit? We would condemn them. But if it's a religious/cultural icon? Oh no, they have all the right in the world to kill 12 civilians... Absolute douchballery.
Last edited by Seperates on Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:44 pm

Florin and Atlantis wrote:
Kazomal wrote:

At the same time, you don't hear about them protesting when somebody kills innocent people in the name of Allah. Whereas in America, people protest about the War on Terror all the time.

Allah means "the god" in Arabic. It's like talking about how Ancient Roman Christians worshipped Deus or something.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

UnitedStatesOfAmerica-
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby UnitedStatesOfAmerica- » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:50 pm

A very good article on the American approach to free speech and why Koran burning is a constitutionally protected action.

EDIT: I forgot to post the link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11254419
Last edited by UnitedStatesOfAmerica- on Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Florin and Atlantis
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Florin and Atlantis » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:10 pm

Meryuma wrote:
Florin and Atlantis wrote:

Allah means "the god" in Arabic. It's like talking about how Ancient Roman Christians worshipped Deus or something.

I know that. I just like to say Allah since I've heard Muslim people I know call God that. I meant no disrespect.

Sierra Lobo
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sierra Lobo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:16 pm

Oterro wrote:Muslims don't think the Qu'ran was written by God, they believe it is the direct, uncorrupted word of God, however.

Your point?
Economic Left/Right: -2.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.21

"Then there are the fanatical atheists whose intolerance is the same as that of the religious fanatics, and it springs from the same source . . . They are creatures who can't hear the music of the spheres." - Einstein

“Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side”

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General