NATION

PASSWORD

U.S. Senators looking into punishing Quaran burning.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should the U.S. Congress try to punish Pastor Terry Jones?

Yes.
20%
Probably.
4%
Maybe - Maybe Not
6%
Doubtful.
7%
No.
63%

Total votes : 210

Kubra
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 15, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kubra » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:51 pm

People ought to deal with it without turning towards government intervention.

If you've a problem, then burn a bible. Bonus points if you do it by his church.
“Atomic war is inevitable. It will destroy half of humanity: it is going to destroy immense human riches. It is very possible. The atomic war is going to provoke a true inferno on Earth. But it will not impede Communism.”
Comrade J. Posadas

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:10 pm

Caecili wrote:Two words: Hate crime.

I hate the idea of people being charged for hateful words.

Hateful actions, like torching someone, that's different. But hateful words? …
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:23 pm

Arkinesia wrote:

I hate the idea of people being charged for hateful words.

Hateful actions, like torching someone, that's different. But hateful words? …

I don't like the idea of hate crime. All it does is serve to enforce the idea that people are somehow different by race.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

You-Gi-Owe
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby You-Gi-Owe » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:27 pm

Zonolia wrote:if he gets prosectuted for this he'll try to sue the US government for impeding on his first amendment right but then again no one ever wins against the US in a law suite...(seriously i have reseached this alot if anyone can give me a case where the winner wasnt the US please tell me i wanna know)

Schecter Poultry v. United States
From Wikipedia;
Chief Justice Hughes wrote for a unanimous Court in invalidating the industrial "codes of fair competition" which the NIRA enabled the President to issue. The Court held that the codes violated the constitutional separation of powers as an impermissible delegation of legislative power to the executive branch. The Court also held that the NIRA provisions were in excess of congressional power under the Commerce Clause.

The Court distinguished between direct effects on interstate commerce, which Congress could lawfully regulate, and indirect, which were purely matters of state law. Though the raising and sale of poultry was an interstate industry, the Court found that the "stream of interstate commerce" had stopped in this case—Schechter's slaughterhouses bought chickens almost exclusively from intrastate wholesalers and sold completely exclusively to intrastate buyers. Any interstate effect of Schechter was indirect, and therefore beyond federal reach.

Though many considered the NIRA a "dead statute" at this point in the New Deal scheme, the Court used its invalidation as an opportunity to affirm constitutional limits on congressional power, for fear that it could otherwise reach virtually anything that could be said to "affect" interstate commerce and intrude on many areas of legitimate state power.

Justice Cardozo's concurring opinion clarified that a spectrum approach to direct and indirect effects is preferable to a strict dichotomy. Cardozo felt that in this case, Schechter was simply too small a player to be relevant to interstate commerce.

This traditional reading of the Commerce Clause was later disavowed by the Court, which, after West Coast Hotel Co. v. Parrish (1937) began to read congressional power more expansively in this area. However, more recent cases such as United States v. Lopez, 514 U.S. 549 (1995) perhaps signal a growing inclination in the Court to once again affirm limits on its scope.

“Man, I'm so hip I won't even eat a square meal!”
"We've always been at war with Eastasia." 1984, George Orwell
Tyrion: "Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!"
“I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.” ~ James Madison quotes

Galenaima
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galenaima » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:29 pm

If they punish this guy, I'm dropping lawsuits with every Bible burning I see, with every flag burning I see . But those happen all the time, and are allowed...therefore, this guy, while wrong, is legally protected.
***My nation does not represent my actual political beliefs***
Oterro wrote:I read it in Latest Forum Topics and was like; ''oho, some chap managed to keep himself seated for 2 years and finally stood up!''
But no. Morbidly obese man dies in chair, covered in shit.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:Is Hell North Korea off earth?

Wikkiwallana wrote:I don't like flamish anyone. It distresses me to see people on fire. People who like to get involved with their own gender don't bother me at all though.

Canada Remnants
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Canada Remnants » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:32 pm

Its like the burning of Jewish books in Nazi-Germany......
I hope we can get along and have fun in this political game.
Please give me tips and advice I do appreciate it

National Info
DEFCON Level 1
Nearly 100 million army, navy and air personnel forces standing by for orders to attack

DEFCON Level 2
Counterattacking the opposing nation.
DEFCON Level 3
All army, sea and air personnel forces are to attack the nation.
DEFCON Level 4
Nukes are ready to be launched at the enemy.
DEFCON Level 5
All citizens and army personnel are to take shelter immediately from the nuclear radiation before the launch of the nukes.

My Supporter

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:33 pm

Somehow I keep clicking on threads and getting the one ABOVE them.
Last edited by SaintB on Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:55 pm

You-Gi-Owe wrote:1. If burning the U.S. Flag is protected free speech, then, IMHO, isn’t it free speech to burn a book?

Yes.
You-Gi-Owe wrote:2. Why is the U.S. Government inserting itself into a matter of Religion? I know I read in the First Amendment that Congress isn’t supposed to help or hinder religious expression.

This isn't a matter of religion, but religious expression and free speech. Different.

1. Why are you spelling the book "Quaran?" That's ridiculous.

2. While I think the Pastors' actions are abhorrent, ignorant, and childish, he has the right this type of expression imo. I think cases such as Brandenburg v. Ohio limit speech enough.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:58 pm

SaintB wrote:
Meryuma wrote:It's not spelled "Quaran". It's not pronounced "Quaran".

Why the fuck are you calling it the "Quaran"?

Quaran and Koran are both accepted spellings in english.

It's minimally used. And makes no sense. As with the Qaddafi case, no transliteration will be 100% correct but some are less correct than others.
Last edited by Buffett and Colbert on Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Florin and Atlantis
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Florin and Atlantis » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:18 pm

Zonolia wrote:if he gets prosectuted for this he'll try to sue the US government for impeding on his first amendment right but then again no one ever wins against the US in a law suite...(seriously i have reseached this alot if anyone can give me a case where the winner wasnt the US please tell me i wanna know)

Other people have been giving examples of a company suing the Federal Government. This is an example of a person:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leary_v._United_States

Leary v. United States, 395 U.S. 6 (1969), is a U.S. Supreme Court case dealing with the constitutionality of Marijuana Tax Act. Timothy Leary, a professor and activist, was arrested for the possession of marijuana in violation of the Marijuana Tax Act. Leary challenged the act on the ground that the act required self-incrimination, which violated the Fifth Amendment. The unanimous opinion of the court was penned by Justice John Marshall Harlan II and declared the Marijuana Tax Act unconstitutional. Thus, Leary's conviction was overturned. However, Congress responded shortly after by passing the Controlled Substances Act to continue the prohibition of certain drugs in the United States.

The United States won't prosecute Jones because it's protected free speech, and people here realize that even though what he did was crazy, like the Westboro Baptist Church, it's protected by the first amendment. Muslims don't like it, and you know what? They don't HAVE TO. That's the way the world works. Many of their countries enforce extreme discrimination against women, other religions, homosexuality, etc. because their religion demands it. We won't tell them how to live though, and they better not tell us how to live. Hopefully these revolutions in Egypt, Tunisia, and Libya (and the protests elsewhere) will start the overturn these medieval standards that are in place, but until then there is nothing the West can do other than try and stop these governments from massacring it's populace. Christianity (and Judaism) has some pretty dark and twisted laws in it, but most Christians have evolved their beliefs and live in the 21st century. The Bible, the Qu'ran, any holy text, should not be looked at as a way to run your country (although the Qu'ran specifically says it should).

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:29 pm

Terry Jones is a knob, but two knobs don't make a...what's the opposite of knob, anyhow?

At any rate, while Jones was definitely being a jerkwad on purpose, that doesn't mean he's responsible for the fact that some people decided to commit murder over a book. It's like a few years back when PZ Myers desecrated a communion wafer and a bunch of Catholics flipped their shit and started calling for his head...it's all bullshit, whether it's the Christians or the Muslims or the Scientologists, it's always bullshit to allow symbols of your superstitious beliefs to have more value than human life.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:32 pm

SaintB wrote:
Meryuma wrote:It's not spelled "Quaran". It's not pronounced "Quaran".

Why the fuck are you calling it the "Quaran"?

Quaran and Koran are both accepted spellings in english.

No, Quran and Koran are.

"Quaran" completely misrepresents the Arabic word, and it's not very commonly used.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:34 pm

Bottle wrote:Terry Jones is a knob, but two knobs...make ...

...up both sides of the door?
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:36 pm

The U.S government should stay out of religious affairs.
It should only get involved if people are getting hurt.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:37 pm

Probably shouldn't be charged with anything. Might be able to pin something on him for inciting violence or some shit like that. He pretty much had to of known some innocent people were going to die becasue of this.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:38 pm

Genivaria wrote:The U.S government should stay out of religious affairs.

People did get hurt...

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:40 pm

SaintB wrote:

People did get hurt...

At which point the police should arrest the ones responsible. That is the ones who hurt/killed them.
Absurd beliefs do not excuse you from being punished for your crimes.
Last edited by Genivaria on Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Augarundus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Augarundus » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:43 pm

Hate crime = criminal act motivated by hatred of a group.

Burning a book isn't a criminal act.

This is stupid; freedom of speech is only upheld when it isn't offensive?
Libertarian Purity Test Score: 160
Capitalism is always the answer. Whenever there's a problem in capitalism, you just need some more capitalism. If the solution isn't capitalism, then it's not really a problem. If your capitalism gets damaged, you just need to throw some capitalism on it and get on with your life.

Augarundus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Augarundus » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:44 pm

SaintB wrote:

People did get hurt...

The pastor didn't kill anyone.

If you want to say he's morally implicated in deaths, then fine. But he isn't legally responsible for other peoples' actions.

That's like saying a rape victim was responsible for her own rape because she dressed "inappropriately". It's ludicrous.
Libertarian Purity Test Score: 160
Capitalism is always the answer. Whenever there's a problem in capitalism, you just need some more capitalism. If the solution isn't capitalism, then it's not really a problem. If your capitalism gets damaged, you just need to throw some capitalism on it and get on with your life.

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:46 pm

This man is an uneducated asshole who apparently has no consideration for the probable consequences of his actions.
That said, he should still be able to take stupid actions like these. Hurrah for free speech! It's great, except when it isn't, but we do NOT want to start making exceptions.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:46 pm

That's the only way he could ever be prosecuted.
Under New Management since 8/9/12

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:47 pm

Augarundus wrote:

Hate crime = criminal act motivated by hatred of a group.

Burning a book isn't a criminal act.

This is stupid; freedom of speech is only upheld when it isn't offensive?

The fact is that the government allows neo-nazis and the KKK to march to state their beliefs.
The police are on the scene to make sure noone gets hurt but it is not an endorsement.
No matter how much you may hate them, if you attack them then YOU are the guilty one.
The pastor is a moron but he has broken no law.
The people who killed others because they were offended are criminals and should go to jail.

Hebalobia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 06, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Hebalobia » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:50 pm

This is an easy one. NO, absolutely not. Remember freedom of speech and the budget deficit? Pastor Jones has as much right to make a complete ass of himself as the rest of us do. Now excuse me while I go burn a case of bibles.

New new nebraska
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 16, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New new nebraska » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:51 pm

I don't agree wth the pastor's actions but what he did is free speech and constitutionally protected. I think they're probably searching for a connection like with the Tyler Clementi case. It was simple invasion of privacy but it led to the poor Rutgers student's suicide. Just like Jones' burning led to the death of 20 people. Not a clear cut link but he bears some responsibility as he knocked over the first domino so to speak. That's what I think Reid is trying to do. Although further limiting free speech for everyone is not a way to go about punishing someone for acting like an ass.
Last edited by New new nebraska on Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Been a member since 2007, should have 2000+ posts.(Actually, maybe more)

98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.

Economic Left/Right: -3.38. Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.26

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:52 pm

Hebalobia wrote:This is an easy one. NO, absolutely not. Remember freedom of speech and the budget deficit? Pastor Jones has as much right to make a complete ass of himself as the rest of us do. Now excuse me while I go burn a case of bibles.

Go for it. Its your right.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General