NATION

PASSWORD

European Union to Ban Cars In Cities By 2050

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Senestrum
Senator

Founded: Sep 15, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Senestrum » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:27 pm

South Norwega wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Well, usually at night when you are with your friends in area with no speed cameras?

You don't need to go that fast. Ever. It's dangerous, illegal and stupid. Especially with friends.

Speed limits, in addition to be base tyranny, encourage poor driving skills (along with all the other babying and directions drivers get) and thus decrease safety.

Edit: And life would be terribly boring if you were only allowed to do things you needed to do. Take one of my personal hobbies, riding ATVs (four-wheelers) offroad. It's noisy, dangerous, harmful to the environment, and the vast majority of people don't need them. Is it bad? Should it be banned?
Last edited by Senestrum on Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Need help with lineart or technical drawings? Want comments and critique? Or do you just want to show off?
If so, join Lineartinc today, Nationstates' only lineart community!
We welcome people of any skill level, from first-timers to veteran artists.

The Soviet Technocracy
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Soviet Technocracy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:27 pm

South Norwega wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Well, usually at night when you are with your friends in area with no speed cameras?

You don't need to go that fast. Ever. It's dangerous, illegal and stupid. Especially with friends.

It's fun.

Senestrum wrote:
South Norwega wrote:You don't need to go that fast. Ever. It's dangerous, illegal and stupid. Especially with friends.

Speed limits, in addition to be base tyranny, encourage poor driving skills (along with all the other babying and directions drivers get) and thus decrease safety.

Where is that vid Fran posted on NSD? The one that was titled "Roads Fit for People" or something about that UK town that had the traffic lights removed or some such. I've looked for the longest time and I haven't found it, I even went back about 15 pages on all the child boards in Off Topic and found nothing. ):

I thought of that video when I read this comment, and wanted to post it.
Last edited by The Soviet Technocracy on Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 4/2/11
I love Rebecca Black

Whiskey Hill
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Whiskey Hill » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:28 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Whiskey Hill wrote:

You do realize that we're talking about a policy that will be enacted 40 years from now, so we could redesign our society to fit our needs?

What I don't understand is why they would attempt to ban the cars before redesigning the system to fit that goal.

Why not, instead of banning cars by 2050, create a program to make them obsolete, and implement the new system by 2050?

Banning cars forces us to do that anyway. We can go either way- redesign the system so that cars are unnecessary over a few decades, or set a ban on cars for a few decades from now and people will be forced to redesign our systems to deal with an impending lack of cars.
Factbook & Embassy Thread

The Imperial Commonwealth League of Crowns-Member

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:29 pm

Maurepas wrote:Why not, instead of banning cars by 2050, create a program to make them obsolete, and implement the new system by 2050?

Because it's not really about efficiency, or anything like that. There are a group of people who just want to see cars banned. They don't like the idea of the hoi-poloi being able to travel freely.

Back to your slave bunkers peasants!
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:30 pm

South Norwega wrote:

You don't need to go that fast. Ever. It's dangerous,

No it isn't. I have drove at 140+ many times, and look I am here talking to you with 2 hands, 2 legs, without a broken bone. :p

illegal

It is not illegal if you dont get caught. ;)

and stupid. Especially with friends.

No it is not stupid, it is fun. Especially to race against your freinds.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:30 pm

The Soviet Technocracy wrote:
South Norwega wrote:You don't need to go that fast. Ever. It's dangerous, illegal and stupid. Especially with friends.

It's fun.

If thats your thing then you need to go to the Autobahn.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:31 pm

Genivaria wrote:
It's fun.

If thats your thing then you need to go to the Autobahn.

Wish that was in UK. :(

Whiskey Hill
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Whiskey Hill » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:31 pm

Senestrum wrote:

Bans on allowing people to wave machetes around wherever, whenever they want is also tyranny, and encourages poor machete handling skills, which also decreases safety. I don't see anyone complaining about that, though.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:31 pm

Lacadaemon wrote:
Maurepas wrote:Why not, instead of banning cars by 2050, create a program to make them obsolete, and implement the new system by 2050?

Because it's not really about efficiency, or anything like that. There are a group of people who just want to see cars banned. They don't like the idea of the hoi-poloi being able to travel freely.

Back to your slave bunkers peasants!

That's the way it seems alot of the time. :?

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:32 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Bavin wrote:Image

Tesla Roadster. Does this satisfy your rather shallow demands?

Also I'm pretty sure that the Chevy Volt or Nissan Leaf are cheaper than BMWs when you factor in gas prices over the car's lifetime.

:) How much do you want for it?

£86,950 or if you want car which is faster, accelerates faster, it will cost you just £37,257.

Lithatrius
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Lithatrius » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:32 pm

Absolutely ridiculous. The EU is planning on implementing this ban because it hopes that by 2050, it'll own us all in a federal system (by which time I will be a revolutionary militant).

It's just horrendous. What right do they have to tell us that? I've got the right to drive my car. Herman, Barroso and co. can fuck off.
~ Lithatrius

• Houston Texans
  • New Jersey Devils
  • New York Mets
  • Memphis Grizzlies
  • Michigan Wolverines

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:32 pm

Whiskey Hill wrote:
Senestrum wrote:Speed limits, in addition to be base tyranny, encourage poor driving skills (along with all the other babying and directions drivers get) and thus decrease safety.

Bans on allowing people to wave machetes around wherever, whenever they want is also tyranny, and encourages poor machete handling skills, which also decreases safety. I don't see anyone complaining about that, though.

Machetes are banned now?
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

The Soviet Technocracy
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Soviet Technocracy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:33 pm

Whiskey Hill wrote:
Senestrum wrote:Speed limits, in addition to be base tyranny, encourage poor driving skills (along with all the other babying and directions drivers get) and thus decrease safety.

Never actually read any laws that banned me from waving a machete around like a dunce.

Just awkward stares and people giving me wide berths.
New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 4/2/11
I love Rebecca Black

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:33 pm

Lacadaemon wrote:
Whiskey Hill wrote:

Machetes are banned now?

I would hope not, I was using one to clear the paintball course in the woods not too long ago.

South Norwega
Senator

Founded: Jul 13, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby South Norwega » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:34 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:Misleading title is misleading...

No petrol or diesel cars in city centres by 2050. You've got 40 years to shape up and implement something you should implement anyway. Hardly tyrannical.

40 years to invent something that is as capable as something with thrice that long to develop.

GG, EU.

It's there and invented. It needs to be improved.

Great Nepal wrote:Tesla Roadster costs about £86,950 compared to BMW Z4 sDrive35is for £37,257. A massive fail on price thing.

http://www.teslamotors.com/goelectric/incentives/UK/

No congestion charge. Free parking in many places. You save 1700 a year in London. You save a large amount on running costs, too.

Short term vs long term is what it's about.
Worship the great Gordon Brown!
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Please sig this.

Jedi 999 wrote:the fact is the british colonised the british

Plains Nations wrote:the god of NS

Trippoli wrote:This here guy, is smart.

Second Placing: Sarzonian Indoor Gridball Cup

South Norwega
Senator

Founded: Jul 13, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby South Norwega » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:37 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
South Norwega wrote:You don't need to go that fast. Ever. It's dangerous,

No it isn't. I have drove at 140+ many times, and look I am here talking to you with 2 hands, 2 legs, without a broken bone. :p

Good for you, you're lucky. Speed and seatbelts not worn are the two main causes of road deaths. It's safer to not do it at all.

Great Nepal wrote:
illegal

It is not illegal if you dont get caught. ;)

It is actually. If a tree is illegally logged in a forest when no one is around, it's still been illegally logged.

Great Nepal wrote:
and stupid. Especially with friends.

No it is not stupid, it is fun. Especially to race against your freinds.

I consider putting oneself in mortal danger stupid. I consider putting others in mortal danger even more stupid. You're not a risk to just yourself, you're a risk to others, too.
Worship the great Gordon Brown!
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Please sig this.

Jedi 999 wrote:the fact is the british colonised the british

Plains Nations wrote:the god of NS

Trippoli wrote:This here guy, is smart.

Second Placing: Sarzonian Indoor Gridball Cup

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:38 pm

Whiskey Hill wrote:
Maurepas wrote:What I don't understand is why they would attempt to ban the cars before redesigning the system to fit that goal.

Why not, instead of banning cars by 2050, create a program to make them obsolete, and implement the new system by 2050?

Banning cars forces us to do that anyway. We can go either way- redesign the system so that cars are unnecessary over a few decades, or set a ban on cars for a few decades from now and people will be forced to redesign our systems to deal with an impending lack of cars.

I suppose, if you want to guarantee failure.

It occurs to me that this situation reminds me about this scene:

http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t54/ ... idberg.mp4

"President Truman: Whistling Dixie! I want this sent to Area 51 for study.

General: But sir, that's where we're building the fake moon landing set.

President Truman: Then we'll have to really land on the moon. Invent NASA and tell them to get off their fannies."

You know, it's like, that's not the proper method by which these sorts of things are done, :?

Urwumpe
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Urwumpe » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:42 pm

Great Nepal wrote:If you have a problem, then please feel free stop using oil: dont force everyone in world to do it. And considering we are finding new oil reserves practically every year: and there are a lot of it left in artic: not a problem. ;)

Of course, oil that is harder to be drilled, in smaller reserves per well and of much lower quality than the oil we consume currently in megatons per second. The concept of peak oil does not get wrong, if you find a new oil reserve, such events are part of the scientific model and so far, we can already observe it despite the Arabian countries having been pretty resourceful with their oil production, they had never been at their theoretical limits again since the 70s. Which means: If you want to consume it, it is also your freedom to pay a price for it. A high price, if the oil extraction gets more expensive and the available oil less, which then means those companies that rely on oil for their products (especially fertilizer) will drive the prices...and you have to go with them.

Well, the good thing is, you have all the freedom to ruin yourself. Think you don't need to plan further ahead than 5 minutes and have a wife for planning the rest of the day...fine for you. But usually if you don't do it, somebody else has to plan how your life or the life of your children will look like in 50 years. Not because you or your children are too stupid to figure things out when they become a problem, but because it gets more and more expensive to do anything the shorter the time is to react. And of course, it looks very stupid if you read in 50 years, how a problem was already known, but never fixed or at least addressed. (Many problems that you can enjoy today in Fukushima Daiishi had already been pointed out by AEC engineers 50 years ago.). People get pretty upset and are not really able to admit that it has been also their fault that nothing happened for such a long time... they simply didn't bother themselves until it was too late.

Also such bans of cars are mostly planned because of the toxic dust that cars produce, not because of oil. Practically speaking, most city centers here are already having bans against cars. The actual zones are maybe smaller than in the EU plans, but the effect on the individual is the same: You are forced to park outside and use your own feet or public transport for going shopping. Every better bigger city here is having free shuttle services here, that bring you from one end of the city center to the other.

It is also no problem to be against such EU plans - its a democracy after all, even if the EU does its best to not act like one.

Senestrum
Senator

Postby Senestrum » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:42 pm

Whiskey Hill wrote:

I drive.

The fact that we allow such terrifyingly poor drivers as the people I see every day, all around me in a car is mortifying. And the terrible drivers can be blamed in large part on the fact that, at least in the US, driving is so regulated at literally every turn that drivers don't even have to think. They don't even have to really pay attention.

A less regulated driving environment would force people to think, would force them to become proficient with a motor vehicle. And they would need to do that, because in that sort of environment they'd end up getting hurt if they didn't.
Need help with lineart or technical drawings? Want comments and critique? Or do you just want to show off?

Senestrum
Senator

Postby Senestrum » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:44 pm

South Norwega wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:No it isn't. I have drove at 140+ many times, and look I am here talking to you with 2 hands, 2 legs, without a broken bone. :p

Good for you, you're lucky. Speed and seatbelts not worn are the two main causes of road deaths. It's safer to not do it at all.

Incorrect.

Driver error is the number one cause.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:46 pm

Senestrum wrote:
South Norwega wrote:Good for you, you're lucky. Speed and seatbelts not worn are the two main causes of road deaths. It's safer to not do it at all.

Incorrect.

Driver error is the number one cause.

Not to nitpick, but isn't not wearing a seatbelt an error on the driver's part?

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:47 pm

Senestrum wrote:
Whiskey Hill wrote:

I drive.

The fact that we allow such terrifyingly poor drivers as the people I see every day, all around me in a car is mortifying. And the terrible drivers can be blamed in large part on the fact that, at least in the US, driving is so regulated at literally every turn that drivers don't even have to think. They don't even have to really pay attention.

A less regulated driving environment would force people to think, would force them to become proficient with a motor vehicle. And they would need to do that, because in that sort of environment they'd end up getting hurt if they didn't.

Not really.

When I was driving on the Interstate one night, entering Bozeman, the city just had a power outage. So when I exited the free way, none of the traffic lights or anything were working. There were no streetlights. The basic rules of the road broke down.

We made it home safe, but the journey was dangerous and slow, given the volume of traffic.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Whiskey Hill
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Whiskey Hill » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:48 pm

Whiskey Hill wrote:

Never actually read any laws that banned me from waving a machete around like a dunce.

If you're endangering the lives of others because of it, just like someone driving a car at 140 mph, you're gonna get your ass arrested.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:48 pm

Whiskey Hill wrote:

If you're endangering the lives of others because of it, just like someone driving a car at 140 mph, you're gonna get your ass arrested.

Depends on the Jurisdiction really. Germany doesn't arrest you for that on the Autobahn.
Last edited by Maurepas on Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Manvir
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 06, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Manvir » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:50 pm

South Norwega wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Tesla Roadster costs about £86,950 compared to BMW Z4 sDrive35is for £37,257. A massive fail on price thing.
Tesla Roadster has top speed of 125 mph compared to BMW 155 mph. A fail on speed thing.

When will you need to go even remotely that fast ever?

Trying to escape the fuzz?
I am from Canada | I'm some kind of Socialist | And also Batman
"Never be deceived that the rich will permit you to vote away their wealth." - Lucy Parsons
Socialism is an economic system characterised by social ownership of the means of production and co-operative management of the economy. "Social ownership" may refer to cooperative enterprises, common ownership, state ownership, citizen ownership of equity, or any combination of these. There are many varieties of socialism and there is no single definition encapsulating all of them. They differ in the type of social ownership they advocate, the degree to which they rely on markets or planning, how management is to be organised within productive institutions, and the role of the state in constructing socialism.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General