NATION

PASSWORD

European Union to Ban Cars In Cities By 2050

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Der Teutoniker
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Der Teutoniker » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:49 pm

Maurepas wrote:I'd be all behind phasing out petrol powered cars...once there's a replacement fueled car that's just as efficient and priced that is.

And if a program can be set up that accomplishes this task by 2050, I'd be all behind that too.

However, with neither of those things planned for and only a seemingly petulant "Derp, use moar rail!", a blanket ban on cars seems overly stupid, even for the EU.

I can dig this.
South Lorenya wrote:occasionally we get someone who has a rap sheet longer than Jormungandr

Austin Setzer wrote:We found a couple of ancient documents, turned them into the bible, and now its the symbol of christianity.

ARM Forces wrote:Strep-throat is an infection in the throat, caused by eating too much refined sugar! Rubbing more sugar directly on it is the worst thing you can possibly do.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Communism and anarchy; same unachievable end, different impractical means.

Secunderabad
Envoy

Founded: Mar 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Secunderabad » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:51 pm

Maurepas wrote:I'd be all behind phasing out petrol powered cars...once there's a replacement fueled car that's just as efficient and priced that is.

And if a program can be set up that accomplishes this task by 2050, I'd be all behind that too.

However, with neither of those things planned for and only a seemingly petulant "Derp, use moar rail!", a blanket ban on cars seems overly stupid, even for the EU.

Forcing the issue with a ban, and giving enough time (39 years) would mean that there will be an alternative by then. There will have to be. Someone will do it because there will be demand for it.
Royal Armoury of Secunderabad: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=107803

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:53 pm

South Norwega wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:And what exactly is this "new technology" you are talking about? Cos electric certainly doesn't do the job.

Oh very funny.

And rather wrong.

Electric cars are developing with great rapidity, and the development of hybrids means that full petrol cars are being phased out already.

Electric is the new technology.

Then please talk to me again when electric cars can match atleast BMW's standards in terms of styling, speed, acceleration, initial cost etc. ;)
Untill then, electric certainly doesn't do the job
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bavin
Negotiator

Founded: May 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bavin » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:53 pm

Bradforsonia wrote:Hmm.. I think this threads prediction that suitable or even wanted alternatives will be found by 2050 is doubtful. If it happens fine great, just ya know probably not gonna happen.

In forty years we went from flight to atomic bombs, and to the moon twenty years after that, and you think we can't finish tweaking electric vehicles by that time? Your lack of faith disturbs me, as does the implication that electric cars somehow do not exist.
The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.- Carl Sagan

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:54 pm

Bavin wrote:
Bradforsonia wrote:Hmm.. I think this threads prediction that suitable or even wanted alternatives will be found by 2050 is doubtful. If it happens fine great, just ya know probably not gonna happen.

In forty years we went from flight to atomic bombs, and to the moon twenty years after that, and you think we can't finish tweaking electric vehicles by that time? Your lack of faith disturbs me, as does the implication that electric cars somehow do not exist.

Sure we can do it, we just need a cold war or a world war 3. ;)

Bavin
Negotiator

Founded: May 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bavin » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:55 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
South Norwega wrote:Oh very funny.

And rather wrong.

Electric cars are developing with great rapidity, and the development of hybrids means that full petrol cars are being phased out already.

Electric is the new technology.

Then please talk to me again when electric cars can match atleast BMW's standards in terms of styling, speed, acceleration, initial cost etc. ;)

Tesla Roadster. Does this satisfy your rather shallow demands?

Also I'm pretty sure that the Chevy Volt or Nissan Leaf are cheaper than BMWs when you factor in gas prices over the car's lifetime.
Last edited by Bavin on Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.- Carl Sagan

South Norwega
Senator

Founded: Jul 13, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby South Norwega » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:00 pm

Great Nepal wrote:Then please talk to me again when electric cars can match atleast BMW's standards in terms of styling, speed, acceleration, initial cost etc. ;)

It does the bloody job. The only remaining problems are range.

So if you're on a short commute in a city environment, electric cars are better.
Worship the great Gordon Brown!
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Please sig this.

Jedi 999 wrote:the fact is the british colonised the british

Plains Nations wrote:the god of NS

Trippoli wrote:This here guy, is smart.

Second Placing: Sarzonian Indoor Gridball Cup

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:00 pm

Bavin wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Then please talk to me again when electric cars can match atleast BMW's standards in terms of styling, speed, acceleration, initial cost etc. ;)

Also I'm pretty sure that the Chevy Volt or Nissan Leaf are cheaper than BMWs when you factor in gas prices over the car's lifetime.

A Tesla Roadster costs $109,000. My '09 Chevy Aveo cost me $10,000.

In order for this to be a legitimate solution, and not a stupid gimmick for the companies in question to charge a premium price on, the tag for these cars needs to be lowered about $90,000.

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:01 pm

Bavin wrote:Also I'm pretty sure that the Chevy Volt or Nissan Leaf are cheaper than BMWs when you factor in gas prices over the car's lifetime.

Yes, but then you have to sleep alone or get prostitutes. So the externalities of the whole nissan leaf situation soon add up.

At any rate electric cars are crap, because batteries are heavy and rubbish. (And since it's science not magic are likely to remain so). The proper way to go would be hydrogen fuel cells with the hydrogen being produced using nuclear energy.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:02 pm

South Norwega wrote:So if you're on a short commute in a city environment, electric cars are better.

Do you own an electric car?
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

South Norwega
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby South Norwega » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:03 pm

Lacadaemon wrote:
South Norwega wrote:So if you're on a short commute in a city environment, electric cars are better.

I don't own any car, for the reason that one is unnecessary.

Senestrum
Senator

Founded: Sep 15, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Senestrum » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:05 pm

Bavin wrote:

Does it give that awe-inspiring throaty roar of a '67 'Vette with the pedal on the floor? Does it grant me the supreme level of control that conventional drivetrains are capable of? And what if I just plain like gas cars? Who are you to say I can't drive them places?
Need help with lineart or technical drawings? Want comments and critique? Or do you just want to show off?
If so, join Lineartinc today, Nationstates' only lineart community!
We welcome people of any skill level, from first-timers to veteran artists.

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:10 pm

South Norwega wrote:
Lacadaemon wrote:

I don't own any car, for the reason that one is unnecessary.

You do realize that some people actually need cars because of policies that were enacted 40 years ago, and that electric cars, whatever distance you are going are shit? (Unless you can afford tesla).

Most wage earners can't afford to have families and live in city centers where their jobs are - or they work in the suburbs. And even one's that take commuter rail very often have to drive (or be driven) to the station first.

I don't see that it is at all reasonable to hand down these edicts, at least not with out some sort of democratic process being involved at any rate.

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:13 pm

Senestrum wrote:
Bavin wrote:Image

Does it give that awe-inspiring throaty roar of a '67 'Vette with the pedal on the floor? Does it grant me the supreme level of control that conventional drivetrains are capable of? And what if I just plain like gas cars? Who are you to say I can't drive them places?

Electric cars actually accelerate faster than gasoline powered cars. More torque, and no gear shifting.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:15 pm

Bavin wrote:

Tesla Roadster.

Tesla Roadster costs about £86,950 compared to BMW Z4 sDrive35is for £37,257. A massive fail on price thing.
Tesla Roadster has top speed of 125 mph compared to BMW 155 mph. A fail on speed thing.
Styling is similar: a draw on that.
Tesla Roadster goes from 0 to 97 km/h in 5.7 seconds compared to BMW 0-100 km/h in 4.7 seconds. A fail on acceleration thing.
next please. ;)

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:17 pm

South Norwega wrote:

It does the bloody job. The only remaining problems are range.

So if you're on a short commute in a city environment, electric cars are better.

Actually, it doesn't do the job when it is slower, more expensive and has lower acceleration.
Otherwise I can say a old style horse drawn carriage does the job. ;)

South Norwega
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby South Norwega » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:17 pm

Great Nepal wrote:Tesla Roadster costs about £86,950 compared to BMW Z4 sDrive35is for £37,257. A massive fail on price thing.
Tesla Roadster has top speed of 125 mph compared to BMW 155 mph. A fail on speed thing.

When will you need to go even remotely that fast ever?

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:19 pm

South Norwega wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Tesla Roadster costs about £86,950 compared to BMW Z4 sDrive35is for £37,257. A massive fail on price thing.

When will you need to go even remotely that fast ever?

Well, usually at night when you are with your friends in area with no speed cameras? :eyebrow:

Whiskey Hill
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Whiskey Hill » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:21 pm

Lacadaemon wrote:
South Norwega wrote:I don't own any car, for the reason that one is unnecessary.

You do realize that some people actually need cars because of policies that were enacted 40 years ago, and that electric cars, whatever distance you are going are shit? (Unless you can afford tesla).

Most wage earners can't afford to have families and live in city centers where their jobs are - or they work in the suburbs. And even one's that take commuter rail very often have to drive (or be driven) to the station first.

I don't see that it is at all reasonable to hand down these edicts, at least not with out some sort of democratic process being involved at any rate.

You do realize that we're talking about a policy that will be enacted 40 years from now, so we could redesign our society to fit our needs?
Factbook & Embassy Thread

The Imperial Commonwealth League of Crowns-Member

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:24 pm

Whiskey Hill wrote:
Lacadaemon wrote:

You do realize that we're talking about a policy that will be enacted 40 years from now, so we could redesign our society to fit our needs?

What I don't understand is why they would attempt to ban the cars before redesigning the system to fit that goal.

Why not, instead of banning cars by 2050, create a program to make them obsolete, and implement the new system by 2050?

Senestrum
Senator

Founded: Sep 15, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Senestrum » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:25 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
Senestrum wrote:Does it give that awe-inspiring throaty roar of a '67 'Vette with the pedal on the floor? Does it grant me the supreme level of control that conventional drivetrains are capable of? And what if I just plain like gas cars? Who are you to say I can't drive them places?

Electric cars actually accelerate faster than gasoline powered cars. More torque, and no gear shifting.

I am aware of that. I did not ask if an electric car could beat a gas-powered car in a drag race. I asked if they could give me the level of control that a decent conventional drivetrain gives.
Need help with lineart or technical drawings? Want comments and critique? Or do you just want to show off?
If so, join Lineartinc today, Nationstates' only lineart community!
We welcome people of any skill level, from first-timers to veteran artists.

The Soviet Technocracy
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Soviet Technocracy » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:25 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:Misleading title is misleading...

No petrol or diesel cars in city centres by 2050. You've got 40 years to shape up and implement something you should implement anyway. Hardly tyrannical.

40 years to invent something that is as capable as something with thrice that long to develop.

GG, EU.
New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 4/2/11
I love Rebecca Black

South Norwega
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby South Norwega » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:25 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
South Norwega wrote:When will you need to go even remotely that fast ever?

Well, usually at night when you are with your friends in area with no speed cameras?

You don't need to go that fast. Ever. It's dangerous, illegal and stupid. Especially with friends.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Bavin wrote:

:) How much do you want for it?
Last edited by Genivaria on Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:27 pm

Whiskey Hill wrote:You do realize that we're talking about a policy that will be enacted 40 years from now, so we could redesign our society to fit our needs?

The EU has just spent the last 15 years encouraging exurbs to be built, and now they come up with this. I suspect that they aren't remotely rational, so I am doubtful any such thing will happen.

Further, why fucking go to the huge expense of redesigning the whole of society, just because a few hacky-sack players have a hard on for public transport? It would make entirely more sense to develop existing provable technologies around existing infrastructure.

Public transport's not that good really. The whole point of being a rich society is that people don't have to put up with that sort of hassle.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General