NATION

PASSWORD

First Religion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: First Religion Thread

Postby Muravyets » Sun May 03, 2009 7:40 am

I like a religion thread that doesn't even pretend to be trying to have a point. ;)
Kick back at Cafe Muravyets
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )
I agree with Muravyets because she scares me. -- Verdigroth
However, I am still not the topic of this thread.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Sun May 03, 2009 7:49 am

Muravyets wrote:I like a religion thread that doesn't even pretend to be trying to have a point. ;)

But it does have a point. By being pointless it demonstrates one of religion's key flaws.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Sametrea
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 29, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Sametrea » Sun May 03, 2009 7:58 am

GO ATHEISTS!

I was born Hindu, but became atheist, after witnessing the corruption, greed, and organized lies that religion is often about.

Holy Patriae
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Patriae » Sun May 03, 2009 8:02 am

Hey. I guess I'm the third Catholic posting here? Haha, cheers all!

Mor Rioghan
Secretary

Founded: May 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mor Rioghan » Sun May 03, 2009 8:10 am

It's been doing pretty good so far. A bunch of people have posted their religion and no one has gone all 'ZOMG you're EVIL' yet. Haven't posted mine, of course, but better safe than sorry. ;)
Economic Left/Right: -6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.13

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Sun May 03, 2009 8:13 am

Kryozerkia wrote:I hereby claim this to be the first religion on this forum.

I declare the first post to be made by an Atheist.

From hereon out, we will hopefully all get along despite not sharing the same beliefs.

I don't think that is going to work.
Last edited by United Dependencies on Sun May 03, 2009 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Sun May 03, 2009 11:22 am

United Dependencies wrote:
Kryozerkia wrote:I hereby claim this to be the first religion on this forum.

I declare the first post to be made by an Atheist.

From hereon out, we will hopefully all get along despite not sharing the same beliefs.

I don't think that is going to work.

Did I say it would work? No, I never said that. I just said I wanted us to all get along... and then we will all dance and sing before the merry king, who will clap and laugh as we prance to and forth... :oops: Ok, maybe that was a little too much.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

The Redneck Mafia
Political Columnist

Founded: May 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Redneck Mafia » Sun May 03, 2009 11:28 am

religion is for the weak minded.

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Sun May 03, 2009 11:29 am

The Redneck Mafia wrote:religion is for the weak minded.

How is atheism not its own religion? A faith, at the very least.
End the Modigarchy now.

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Sun May 03, 2009 11:31 am

Yootopia wrote:

Atheism is a religion the way bald is a hair colour.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Sun May 03, 2009 11:34 am

Kryozerkia wrote:Atheism is a religion the way bald is a hair colour.

Not really, it's more a religion in the way that bald is a hairstyle.
End the Modigarchy now.

Mor Rioghan
Secretary

Founded: May 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mor Rioghan » Sun May 03, 2009 11:34 am

Yootopia wrote:

Is it a religion? I used to say it was until I got yelled at and told that it's not a religion, so I stopped considering it one. Confusing! Maybe a faith in the idea that it is probably best to avoid religion altogether?
Economic Left/Right: -6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.13

Chumblywumbly
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 22, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Chumblywumbly » Sun May 03, 2009 11:38 am

Yootopia wrote:How is atheism not its own religion? A faith, at the very least.

I think certain atheists act in a strange, pseudo-religious manner, which is rather odd considering, but calling all of atheism a 'faith' isn't accurate. There's a big difference between agnostic atheists such as myself, for who the question of the existence of a god is a fun thought experiment or not even a question at all, and those 'new atheists' in the vain of Dawkins, Hitchens, Dennett, et al, who argue for quite a specific world view.

And, of course, there's the further separation between atheists and anti-theists.

EDIT: And the separation between those who're anti-theist and those who're anti-organised religion
Last edited by Chumblywumbly on Sun May 03, 2009 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
I suffer, I labour, I dream, I enjoy, I think; and, in a word, when my last hour strikes, I shall have lived.

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Sun May 03, 2009 11:43 am

Chumblywumbly wrote:
Yootopia wrote:How is atheism not its own religion? A faith, at the very least.

I think certain atheists act in a strange, pseudo-religious manner, which is rather odd considering, but calling all of atheism a 'faith' isn't accurate.

Eh I dunno. I don't think that there is anyone who genuinely has no opinion on the matter.
There's a big difference between agnostic atheists such as myself, for who the question of the existence of a god is a fun thought experiment or not even a question at all and those 'new atheists' in the vain of Dawkins, Hitchens, Dennett, et al, who argue for quite a specific world view.

Quite. "There is a god because this book that God gave to some people to tell us says so" and "There is no god because a book from man and man alone says so" seem to be about the same argument to me. Both shut out debate, which is what I find interesting about the former form of atheism.
And, of course, there's the further separation between atheists and anti-theists.

Two sides of the same coin.

"I believe in unbelief"
"Aye nice one mate"
End the Modigarchy now.

Steenhuffel
Secretary

Founded: Aug 05, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Steenhuffel » Sun May 03, 2009 11:47 am

Yootopia wrote:Quite. "There is a god because this book that God gave to some people to tell us says so" and "There is no god because a book from man and man alone says so" seem to be about the same argument to me. Both shut out debate, which is what I find interesting about the former form of atheism.

I think you're misrepresenting the atheist position here - certainly my atheist position. In short: Lot's of gods have been proposed and the claims of various religions contracdict each other, so they can't all be true. Therefore, I will assume that none of them are true until someone produces a scrap of evidence.
Join us in the refounded region of Beer where the taps are shiny and the pipes are clean.

Lefty Libertarian

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Sun May 03, 2009 11:49 am

Steenhuffel wrote:I think you're misrepresenting the atheist position here - certainly my atheist position. In short: Lot's of gods have been proposed and the claims of various religions contracdict each other, so they can't all be true. Therefore, I will assume that none of them are true until someone produces a scrap of evidence.

Fair enough. Have always been a fan of sweeping statements, won't lie about it.
End the Modigarchy now.

Steenhuffel
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Steenhuffel » Sun May 03, 2009 11:51 am

Yootopia wrote:Fair enough. Have always been a fan of sweeping statements, won't lie about it.

Sweeping statements can be fun as long as we remember that all generalisations are wrong ;)
Join us in the refounded region of Beer where the taps are shiny and the pipes are clean.

Lefty Libertarian

Chumblywumbly
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 22, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Chumblywumbly » Sun May 03, 2009 12:06 pm

Yootopia wrote:Eh I dunno. I don't think that there is anyone who genuinely has no opinion on the matter.

Not 'no opinion', but there's certainly a large amount of peeps for whom the question of, 'is there a god?', is as ivory tower and unnecessary as, 'does the external world exist?'.

Two sides of the same coin.

To an extent.

But there is a difference between someone who simply thinks there is no god(s), and someone who thinks belief in god(s) is dangerous/wrong.
I suffer, I labour, I dream, I enjoy, I think; and, in a word, when my last hour strikes, I shall have lived.

Tanaara
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Tanaara » Sun May 03, 2009 1:52 pm

I am perfectly willing to discuss religions in a sane and reasonable fashion- and state what I ( and thats only Inot in any way covering any one else but me ) feel are the problems with in that religion - but you know the problems always seem to be in the 'management' of that religion, not the tenet's of the faith.

Of course I think that is because I very profoundly believe that there is NO ONE RIGHT WAY!, and just because you believe differently than me, does not mean that you are 'condemned'. And I can see the personal validity of view points that don't agree with mine at all.

*But* if people can't maintain an open mind, post in mature fashion then? *Shrug* thats their loss. I don't feel that any one is so perfect, so knowing, so wise that they can't possibly learn, or expand themselves, by giving others view points a reasonable look over. Don't have to accept them, but hooting and hollering cause they don't match yours? petty, closed minded and childish in my estimation.
The mathematical probability of a common cat doing exactly as it pleases is the one scientific absolute in the world. -Lynn M. Osband

"We're not so blase, not so willing to accept that we're safe and we can let someone do our security for us. We're not going to sit there and wait for somebody else to do it because if you wait, it might be too late." Jennifer Allen re: Northwest Airlines Flight 253 - quoted for the Win!

Dluighinleigh
Secretary

Founded: Mar 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dluighinleigh » Sun May 03, 2009 2:01 pm

I don't really like religion. The idea of someone or something telling you what to believe and imposing punishments if you don't, is very unattractive to me.

Dluighinleigh
Secretary

Founded: Mar 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dluighinleigh » Sun May 03, 2009 2:02 pm

Steenhuffel wrote:I think you're misrepresenting the atheist position here - certainly my atheist position. In short: Lot's of gods have been proposed and the claims of various religions contracdict each other, so they can't all be true. Therefore, I will assume that none of them are true until someone produces a scrap of evidence.

True, but doesn't religion rely mostly on faith? If there's solid proof of something, then there's no need for you to believe it or not, because it just is. And then it would defeat the purpose of religion itself.

SamsCola
Civil Servant

Founded: May 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby SamsCola » Sun May 03, 2009 2:09 pm

I think religion is pretty stupid and over rated. Its pretty great that people that believe in the same thing gather and do whatever, but religion manipulates how people think plus they steal all their money. So really all religions are cults in my opinion, which is wrong right? I think everyone should have personal faith though. :D Glad everyone is optimistic and not flaming....so far....*knocks on plastic* Sorry no wood was around.

Steenhuffel
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Steenhuffel » Sun May 03, 2009 2:14 pm

Dluighinleigh wrote:

True, but doesn't religion rely mostly on faith? If there's solid proof of something, then there's no need for you to believe it or not, because it just is. And then it would defeat the purpose of religion itself.

This is very true and a perfect summation of why atheism isn't a religion.
Last edited by Steenhuffel on Sun May 03, 2009 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lefty Libertarian

Tanaara
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Tanaara » Sun May 03, 2009 2:18 pm

And Steenhuffel :

Lot's of gods have been proposed and the claims of various religions contracdict each other, so they can't all be true. Therefore, I will assume that none of them are true until someone produces a scrap of evidence.

Who says they can't all be true? Not all relgions contradict one another.Take a good look at the cores the the great majority of the worlds religions - they all speak of transcendt love, a working toward a reunification with god. Just because the outward trappings are different ( and evolved in relation with specific cultures/ places in the world, etc ) doesn't mean that those differences are lies, or makes the religions conflict.

There are as many roads as there are people, each one of us sees the universe slightly differently, and while we may chose to declare our reliogion as one specific form or another, doesn't mean that one holds every tiny exact bit of that religions tennets as absolutely, perfectly, totaly,completely right and applicable to one.

The claims of various religions are mostly made by people saying 'thats what that is' for that religion - and people are nothing if not falliable.

And I can only offer this as possible proof that something beyond man may exist:

Several years ago a close friend of my mothers was diagnosed with sizeable tumors deep in her brain.The cat scans and mri both showed the tumors there, and they were located in very life threatening parts of her brain, slose to major blood vessels. Surgery was needed quickly and the plans were made. The day before surgery the last set of of mri and cat scans were taken - they had to know precisely were to probe. The odds of sucess were very slim, and the odds that she would die on the table were very great.

That night my mother's prayer group met and prayed together for several hours. My mother's friend, waiting in her hospital room, had something - she called it the presence of the Virgin Mary - visit her, "she put her hands to my forehead and told me though in not so many words that I was healed". The next morning when her husband showed up she told him what had happened and that she felt fine. It took hours and much angry shouting before the docs would authorize another set of cats and mri's. Both came back with no tumors where there had been turmors 24 hours earlier. No surgery was done. The returned to her life as a teacher and parent.

Spontaneous self healing? Quite possibly The results of the actions of something beyond the ken of man? Equally possible. The results of Faith and Prayer? Equally possible. Bad cat scans and mris? possible, but this woman was at one of the worlds top medical centers, wotking with some of the best surgeons about.

I don't know, I'm not going to proclaim, but merely offer it as a bit of evidence that something might be out there.
The mathematical probability of a common cat doing exactly as it pleases is the one scientific absolute in the world. -Lynn M. Osband

"We're not so blase, not so willing to accept that we're safe and we can let someone do our security for us. We're not going to sit there and wait for somebody else to do it because if you wait, it might be too late." Jennifer Allen re: Northwest Airlines Flight 253 - quoted for the Win!

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Sun May 03, 2009 2:22 pm

Yootopia wrote:
Kryozerkia wrote:Atheism is a religion the way bald is a hair colour.

Not really, it's more a religion in the way that bald is a hairstyle.

Atheism is neither religion nor hairstyle, but it is a broad and sweeping conclusion based on insufficient evidence to support it.

In that, it is just like religion.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General