NATION

PASSWORD

First Religion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: First Religion Thread

Postby Bottle » Fri May 01, 2009 6:09 am

As far as this forum knows, I'm an evangelical Christian.

*shiftyeyes*
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

DrunkenDove
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 15, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby DrunkenDove » Fri May 01, 2009 8:41 am

Down with religion! Rabble Rabble Rabble!
The butterfly fluttered by.

East Canuck
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 03, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby East Canuck » Fri May 01, 2009 8:44 am

I think I'll follow the teaching of the Greek gods. I have a feeling Zeus is about to make a comeback... :lol:

Emily Rueger
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Emily Rueger » Fri May 01, 2009 9:15 am

Takaram wrote:
Mussolioni wrote:
Takaram wrote:well technically, some religious figures (not naming any now) could be seen as zombies.

He's talking about Jesus. Zombie Jesus.

Zombie Jesus with a BB gun and a Willie Nelson album.

well, he said it, not me. But yeah, he's right

"What?" I hear myself cry out in Bewilderment...
I got to tell you all, This is giving me ulcers.
Ok, enough with the drama, I suppose.
But really, What does Jesus have to do with Zombies? Jesus is not a Zombie. Here on earth did that astoundingly errant idea void of logic and proof of any kind come from?

I belive Everyone has a god of some sort, regardless of whether they acknowledge the fact or not.
Because, lets think about it, Lets define "god"
I venture to say it is who or what you put before anything else (this can be yourself, a friend, an idea, a religion, the God or god of a relgion, logic, emotion, country, government, pleasure, or many other things) It is that which you worship, that which you care about or for more than anything else you care about. A god or God is what you laud, praise, fawn the most, the most precious thing or person.
So "Athiests" are really just people who deny something takes the top spot for them. Something or someone has to be the most important.
That is just the way is is.

Emily Rueger
Political Columnist

Founded: Apr 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Emily Rueger » Fri May 01, 2009 9:16 am

East Canuck wrote:I think I'll follow the teaching of the Greek gods. I have a feeling Zeus is about to make a comeback... :lol:

Really now...

MacCornmac
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby MacCornmac » Fri May 01, 2009 9:41 am

Emily Rueger wrote:
Takaram wrote:
Mussolioni wrote:
Takaram wrote:well technically, some religious figures (not naming any now) could be seen as zombies.

He's talking about Jesus. Zombie Jesus.

Zombie Jesus with a BB gun and a Willie Nelson album.

well, he said it, not me. But yeah, he's right

"What?" I hear myself cry out in Bewilderment...
I got to tell you all, This is giving me ulcers.
Ok, enough with the drama, I suppose.
But really, What does Jesus have to do with Zombies? Jesus is not a Zombie. Here on earth did that astoundingly errant idea void of logic and proof of any kind come from?

Zombies rise from the dead. Jesus, he supposedly rose from the dead. Do you see any similarities?

I belive Everyone has a god of some sort, regardless of whether they acknowledge the fact or not.
Because, lets think about it, Lets define "god"
I venture to say it is who or what you put before anything else (this can be yourself, a friend, an idea, a religion, the God or god of a relgion, logic, emotion, country, government, pleasure, or many other things) It is that which you worship, that which you care about or for more than anything else you care about. A god or God is what you laud, praise, fawn the most, the most precious thing or person.
So "Athiests" are really just people who deny something takes the top spot for them. Something or someone has to be the most important.
That is just the way is is.

If god is what you worship or care about the most then there would be many of these "gods", and it would be different for each person.

I deny that there is a universal creator, which many believe as a god.
Moral Compass: Self Assessment-78, Responsibility-75, Compassion-38, Forgiveness-61
Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -2.12, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.56

Western Mercenary Unio
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Mercenary Unio » Fri May 01, 2009 10:43 am

Eastern Orthodox/atheist.
Last edited by Western Mercenary Unio on Fri May 01, 2009 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
You didn't tell me there was going to be math-Mike Krahulik AKA Gabe, after finding out he had to do math in Dungeons & Dragons, also my reaction finding out that I had to do math in most of the storefronts.
Political Compass: -4.25, -6.26
Disclaimer: I might be totally wrong, due to the fact that I probably know jackshit about the subject.

Pure Metal
Envoy

Founded: Apr 07, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Pure Metal » Fri May 01, 2009 11:05 am

right, new forum.... i hereby declare that i am right in all religious threads. there shall be no arguing. all hail the me.

there, that was easy ;)
+19,376ish posts
Economic Left/Right: -9.13 :: Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.82
Moral Order: -5 :: Moral Rules: +6.5
www.hljphotography.co.uk :: www.planetrock.com

Errinundera
Diplomat

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Errinundera » Fri May 01, 2009 11:17 am

Brutland and Norden wrote:First Catholic in the thread! :twisted: (at least to declare himself Catholic, that is)

First lapsed catholic to declare themselves. Well, Beth Gellert may have got in before me but that post is largely incoherent. (Lapsed catholic. Incoherent. Makes some sort of sense.)

Now I'm just waiting for the twitch upon the thread.
The world is not cyclical, not eternal or immutable, but endlessly transforms itself, and never goes back, and we can assist in that transformation.

Live on, survive, for the earth gives forth wonders. It may swallow your heart, but the wonders keep on coming. You stand before them bareheaded, shriven. What is expected of you is attention.

(Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet)

King Arthur the Great
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby King Arthur the Great » Fri May 01, 2009 11:54 am

East Canuck wrote:I think I'll follow the teaching of the Greek gods. I have a feeling Zeus is about to make a comeback... :lol:

The Greek gods were a bunch of pansies that had to find somebody else every time a big monster reared its ugly head. And their afterlife, it just involves eternity in obscurity.

Revive the Nordic worship. Odin, Thor, and Vidar, those are the ones that need to make a comeback. And if you die well, on the field of battle with your slain enemies at your feet, you get to go to Valhalla, and spend eternity in feasting, wenching, and tournaments of strength and skill. Then, you get to be a part of the host that will help save the world at Ragnarok, and proceed to do it all again.

*Disclaimer: Artie is still a practicing Catholic, but would switch to Asgardian worship before Olympian worship.
Last edited by King Arthur the Great on Fri May 01, 2009 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity - but keep an eye out for malice." -Hanlon's Razor.

"Those of you that think you know everything really annoy those of us that actually do."

Benjamin Franklin's explanation of Liberty vs. Democracy:
Democracy: Two Wolves and a Sheep voting on 'What to Have for Dinner'. Liberty: a Well-Armed Sheep.

Lynxe
Attaché

Founded: Apr 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Lynxe » Fri May 01, 2009 12:25 pm

Here's my path so far:
Agnostic/Sorta Christian>Atheist>Agnostic>Looking at Wicca>And now I guess Agnostic again

Seems like most religions have some stuff that makes sense to me, but I think Wicca comes the closest to one I could actually believe. I was pretty surprised when a Catholic Priest was at my Grandma's Funeral though. Take out the stuff about Jesus and people being better than animals, and I think I would have agreed with almost everything he said.
Economic Left/Right: -6.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.23

Mirkana
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 08, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Mirkana » Fri May 01, 2009 11:15 pm

I'm Jewish, in case anyone doesn't know that.
Impeach Ramses, Legalize Monotheism, Slavery is Theft, MOSES 1400 BCE

Pro: Democracy, Egalitarianism, Judaism, Separation of Church and State, Israel, Arab Spring, Gay Rights, Welfare, Universal Healthcare, Regulated Capitalism, Scientific Rationalism, Constitutional Monarchy
Against: Dictatorships, Racism, Nazism, Theocracy, Anti-Semitism, Sexism, Homophobia, Imperialism, Creationism, Genocide, Slavery

Alien Space Bats wrote:
Rokartian States wrote:There sure is a lot of damning and fucking going around in here. :lol:

It's the international nature of the board.

In some places, it's Saturday night; in other places, Sunday morning.

Blazedtown wrote:Because every decision ever is a secret conspiracy to keep the brothers down.

Brutanion
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 11, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Brutanion » Sat May 02, 2009 2:51 am

Pure Metal wrote:right, new forum.... i hereby declare that i am right in all religious threads. there shall be no arguing. all hail the me.

there, that was easy ;)

I shall oppose and take the Left!

Who's for religious centre?

And I lump all my spiritual beliefs into the phrase 'The Universe' and try to avoid it as much as possible because all The Universe is capable of is entropy. Life represents effort and must survive, if only out of spite.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Sat May 02, 2009 5:11 am

I don't think God is a fan of religion.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Sat May 02, 2009 5:58 am

SaintB wrote:I don't think God is a fan of religion.

I'm sure he was amused when it first came out. Then it got old like any other tacky meme.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Sat May 02, 2009 9:21 am

People blame everything on religion.

But people are stupid.

Religion is a convenient tool for those who want to manipulate common values for the sake of personal power, but that is not religion's fault.

If there were no religion, they would use ideology or ethnicity to achieve the same goals.

Which the GOP are already trying, now that the evangelicals have realized they were betrayed.

I am an unashamed Christian because Jesus is just too on point to ignore.

Now, as to the institutions which borrow his name and fame, feel free to bash away.

And I like Muslims for the intensity of their devotion, Buddhists for their skepticism, Hindus for their cosmos spanning wisdom, and LV Satanists for their honesty and good nature.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Mor Rioghan
Secretary

Founded: May 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mor Rioghan » Sat May 02, 2009 10:06 am

First post! I mean, for me. I haven't posted before. I had to leave NS for a while because I had to deal with life, now I'm back.

Is it a bad sign that my first post is in a religion thread? Oh, dear... But I love the optimism! Maybe in this new forum people will, y'know, NOT start holy flame wars! Or not.
Economic Left/Right: -6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.13

Seraosha
Secretary

Founded: Sep 09, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Seraosha » Sat May 02, 2009 10:10 am

King Arthur the Great wrote:

The Greek gods were a bunch of pansies that had to find somebody else every time a big monster reared its ugly head. And their afterlife, it just involves eternity in obscurity.

Revive the Nordic worship. Odin, Thor, and Vidar, those are the ones that need to make a comeback. And if you die well, on the field of battle with your slain enemies at your feet, you get to go to Valhalla, and spend eternity in feasting, wenching, and tournaments of strength and skill. Then, you get to be a part of the host that will help save the world at Ragnarok, and proceed to do it all again.

*Disclaimer: Artie is still a practicing Catholic, but would switch to Asgardian worship before Olympian worship.

I think I just became a practising Asgardian after that little summary. That sounds amazing.

Jordaxia
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 30, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jordaxia » Sat May 02, 2009 11:29 am

Velkya wrote:There is no God but Allah and I am his prophet.

Source please.
...gorgonopsids.

Mor Rioghan
Secretary

Founded: May 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Mor Rioghan » Sat May 02, 2009 11:58 am

Jordaxia wrote:
Velkya wrote:There is no God but Allah and I am his prophet.

Source please.

He's Allah's prophet. He needs no source. Mm-duh. :lol:
Economic Left/Right: -6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.13

Missing Dog Head
Civil Servant

Founded: Jul 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Missing Dog Head » Sat May 02, 2009 12:56 pm

So I was walking down the raod and I saw someone nod at a magpie. And then someone else went way out of their way not to walk under a ladder. And then someone crossed themselves as they walked past a church.

I see some similarities here.

MDH
You finding Ling-Ling's head?

New Limacon
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Limacon » Sat May 02, 2009 5:33 pm

First person to not give his religion but say "First [x]" anyway.
"It is a far, far better thing to have an anchor in nonsense than to push out to the troubled seas of thought."
Gnomeragen wrote:i wasn't argueing over your realigon i was pronocing your stupidity

New Limacon's Watermark of Quality

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Sat May 02, 2009 6:58 pm

First Satanist to post....Nah, screw it. :twisted:
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Tanaara
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Tanaara » Sat May 02, 2009 7:39 pm

For those of you interested in the Norse Gods, might I suggest an indepth look at

Asatru

Asatru is frequently regarded as one of the Neopagan family of religions. That family includes Wicca, Celtic Druidism, and re-creations of Egyptian, Greek, Roman, and other ancient Pagan religions. However, many Asatruers prefer the term "Heathen" to "Neopagan" and look upon their tradition as "not just a branch on the Neopagan tree" but as a separate tree. Unlike Wicca, which has gradually evolved into many different traditions, the reconstruction of Asatru has been based on the surviving historical record. Its followers have maintained it as closely as possible to the original religion of the Norse people.

Asatru or Ásatrú is an Icelandic word which is a translation of the Danish word "Asetro." Asetro was "first seen in 1885 in an article in the periodical "Fjallkonan". The next recorded instance was in "Heiðinn siður á Íslandi" ("Heathen traditions in Iceland.") by Ólafur Briem (Reykjavík, 1945)." It means "belief in the Asir," the Gods. "Asatru" is a combination of "Asa" which is the possessive case of the word Æsir (Aesir) and "Tru" which means belief or religion.

Throughout Scandinavia the religion is called Forn Siðr (which means the Ancient way or tradition), Forn sed (the Old custom), Nordisk sed (Nordic custom), or Hedensk sed (Pagan custom).

I know a number of Asatru and their scholarship and research into it's history and customs has been exceptionally indepth.

I'd say that I most closely resemble a Wiccan, but my personal religion incorporates traditions, teaching, an bits and pieces from many others.
The mathematical probability of a common cat doing exactly as it pleases is the one scientific absolute in the world. -Lynn M. Osband

"We're not so blase, not so willing to accept that we're safe and we can let someone do our security for us. We're not going to sit there and wait for somebody else to do it because if you wait, it might be too late." Jennifer Allen re: Northwest Airlines Flight 253 - quoted for the Win!

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Sun May 03, 2009 1:15 am

In the spirit of the other NSG.

"All religions are wrong and shouldn't be allowed"

"My religion is right and the others are wrong"

"Atheists are superior because we don't need religion"

"Why can't all religions just get along"

That covers all the arguments I think.
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General