NATION

PASSWORD

Gay "Conversion" and Children

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Izandai
Senator

Founded: May 27, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Izandai » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:54 pm

Takaram wrote:
Izandai wrote:Poe's law?

"Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

Ah.
Shinkadomayaka wrote:
JUNCKS wrote:Ozzy is awesome but Jesus is awesomer

Hey, this is a church thread. No mentioning religion!

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Rambhutan wrote:
My blind porcupine takes exception to this

Your blind porcupine can read text? :blink:

Neanderthaland wrote:
Izandai wrote:I try to be a generous fuck. I'm more likely to have sex with someone more than once that way.

Although for some reason they always act insulted when I try to pay them to communicate how much I value sex.

Ism wrote:We don't dislike what Trump does because he's Trump, we dislike Trump because of what Trump does.

Fartsniffage wrote:
Telconi wrote:
Lots of people are evil, and most of them are closer to home than ISIS

Oooooh. The rare self burn.

Grenartia wrote:Authoritarianism is political sadomasochism, change my mind.
Age subject to change without notice.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:54 pm

No. Is it legal to send adopted black kids to camps that tell them they are shit for being niggers and that they should will themselves white? If it is, it certainly shouldn't be.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Isolated China
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Isolated China » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:54 pm

Deus in Machina wrote:
Isolated China wrote:I'm pretty sure if they can make a law to where you don't have to pray to start a baseball game anymore, they can pass a law shutting down any camp that tries to harm someone. Because its basically physical abuse.

I don't think those two are at all comparable. I may be wrong, but I just can't see such a thing happening in America's current political climate. The fundamentalists have too much sway.

Well America has laws against abuse. Even if its with the parents' consent, it is still illegal for a child to be abused.
Love is of all passions the strongest, for it attacks simultaneously the head, the heart and the senses.
- Lao Tzu
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
- Sun Tzu
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
- Chinese Proverb
If you are patient in one moment of anger, you will escape a hundred days of sorrow.
- Chinese Proverb

Self-Declared Grammar Communist of the World
TG Box is open for discussing, help, or just flat-out conversation. Feel free to message me anytime!
Oh and I'm back.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:54 pm

I am actually trying to see if my fundamentalist uncle sent my cousin to one.
Just realized this, but she disappeared to a "camp for troubled youth" shortly after coming out.
Id ask her but sadly she just died of cancer.
Though really nothing I can do, other than realized my cousin had a really really hard life.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Deus in Machina
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Deus in Machina » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:55 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:No. Is it legal to send adopted black kids to camps that tell them they are shit for being niggers and that they should will themselves white? If it is, it certainly shouldn't be.

I don't think there is a precedent for that. Maybe we should set one up just to see if it'll fly.

Takaram
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Takaram » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:55 pm

greed and death wrote:I am actually trying to see if my fundamentalist uncle sent my cousin to one.
Just realized this, but she disappeared to a "camp for troubled youth" shortly after coming out.
Though really nothing I can do, other than realized my cousin had a really really hard life.

Wow... that really sucks... Sorry. :(

Isolated China
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Isolated China » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:55 pm

greed and death wrote:I am actually trying to see if my fundamentalist uncle sent my cousin to one.

I am sorry.
Love is of all passions the strongest, for it attacks simultaneously the head, the heart and the senses.
- Lao Tzu
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
- Sun Tzu
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.
- Chinese Proverb
If you are patient in one moment of anger, you will escape a hundred days of sorrow.
- Chinese Proverb

TG Box is open for discussing, help, or just flat-out conversation. Feel free to message me anytime!
Oh and I'm back.

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:56 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:
Meryuma wrote:If someone is old enough to be gay,

There is no age at which you are "old enough to be gay." Nor does being gay mark having reached a specific milestone developmentally. Just as there is no age at which you are old enough to be straight, the notion is ridiculous.

In this regard, there is really only an age at which you are old enough to be horny, to put it bluntly. :meh:

What I meant was when you're at the age when gayness can be detectable. I'm not saying you turn gay or anything like that.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Deus in Machina
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Deus in Machina » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:56 pm

Isolated China wrote:
Deus in Machina wrote:I don't think those two are at all comparable. I may be wrong, but I just can't see such a thing happening in America's current political climate. The fundamentalists have too much sway.

Well America has laws against abuse. Even if its with the parents' consent, it is still illegal for a child to be abused.

And if it were as cut and dry as that, there'd be no issue. But religion and homosexuality are both controversial subjects. Hackles will be seriously raised.
Last edited by Deus in Machina on Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:56 pm

Takaram wrote:

It was like a week two ago. But as I talked with relatives I found out how much more her life sucked then I was aware.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:57 pm

Deus in Machina wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:No. Is it legal to send adopted black kids to camps that tell them they are shit for being niggers and that they should will themselves white? If it is, it certainly shouldn't be.

I don't think there is a precedent for that. Maybe we should set one up just to see if it'll fly.

Lulzy. This is going in my sig. :lol:
Ostroeuropa wrote:Two shirtless men on a pushback with handlebar moustaches and a kettle conquered India, at 17:04 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. They rolled the bike up the hill and demanded that the natives set about acquiring bureaucratic records.

Des-Bal wrote:Modern politics is a series of assholes and liars trying to be more angry than each other until someone lets a racist epithet slip and they all scatter like roaches.

NSLV wrote:Introducing the new political text from acclaimed author/yak, NEO ARCAD, an exploration of nuclear power in the Middle East and Asia, "Nuclear Penis: He Won't Call You Again".

This is the best region ever. You know you want it.

Izandai
Senator

Founded: May 27, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Izandai » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:58 pm

I'd give you compassion and sympathy, but I'm pretty much tapped right now. But here. *gives you a card that says "Good for one hug from Izandai. Redeemable whenever."*
Shinkadomayaka wrote:
JUNCKS wrote:Ozzy is awesome but Jesus is awesomer

Hey, this is a church thread. No mentioning religion!

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Rambhutan wrote:
My blind porcupine takes exception to this

Your blind porcupine can read text? :blink:

Neanderthaland wrote:
Izandai wrote:I try to be a generous fuck. I'm more likely to have sex with someone more than once that way.

Although for some reason they always act insulted when I try to pay them to communicate how much I value sex.

Ism wrote:We don't dislike what Trump does because he's Trump, we dislike Trump because of what Trump does.

Fartsniffage wrote:
Telconi wrote:
Lots of people are evil, and most of them are closer to home than ISIS

Oooooh. The rare self burn.

Grenartia wrote:Authoritarianism is political sadomasochism, change my mind.
Age subject to change without notice.

JJ Place
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby JJ Place » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:58 pm

The Floridian Coast wrote:From my research, and personal stories I've been told about experiences in "gay conversion" or "gay cures", groups which try to make gay people hetero, most seem to rely on classical conditioning, which is to say that they base their therapy upon punishing gay urges until the person is conditioned to no longer respond to gay feelings.

Some of these gay conversion groups essentially use a style that seems reminiscent of A Clockwork Orange.

So my question for debate is this: Assuming adults have the right to subject themselves to such abuse, do they have the right to subject their children to it? Should a parent have a right to send their child to a "gay cure" place, where active harm is inflicted as part of the "cure"?

In my opinion, no. Abuse by proxy is nonetheless abuse. I think any gay conversion group which has subjects under the age of 18 should be shut down, and that both the group and the parents would be complicit to child abuse. Your opinions?

Uh, no. Subjecting children to forcible "hetero-sexual conditioning", is at least attempted brain-washing, and at worst is feudalistic torture. Adults subjecting themselves to discover a "cure" for their own personal "problem" of homosexuality is free personal action, the same as any personal action which does not affect another person, and is completely alright. Subjecting children to anti-gay conversion falls under the charges of abuse, torture, crimes against child, un-lawful detention, and cruel and unusual punishment, punishment forced upon innocent children.
The price of cheese is eternal Vignotte.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:58 pm

Deus in Machina wrote:

Tell them if they stay niggers then they'll go to Hell. *nods*
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Isolated China
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Isolated China » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:59 pm

greed and death wrote:
Takaram wrote:

It was like a week two ago. But as I talked with relatives I found out how much more her life sucked then I was aware.

Why, what happened?
Deus in Machina wrote:
Isolated China wrote:Well America has laws against abuse. Even if its with the parents' consent, it is still illegal for a child to be abused.

And if it were as cut and dry as that, there'd be no issue. But religion and homosexuality are both controversial subjects. Hackles will be seriously raised.

Well anyone who tries to say it as "religous" ought to be put on trial and shot. Abuse, in any ways, has no justification.
- Lao Tzu
- Sun Tzu
- Chinese Proverb
- Chinese Proverb

Oh and I'm back.

Takaram
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Takaram » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:00 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Deus in Machina wrote:I don't think there is a precedent for that. Maybe we should set one up just to see if it'll fly.

It's basically saying the same thing. I've always found it annoying when people try to put a different spin on homophobia so that it doesn't look identical to racism. It's the same exact thing with a different target.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:01 pm

Jesus And The Saints wrote:Why would anyone interfere with what is obviously a parents concern for their child? How is it 'abuse' to try & redeem a child from sin? Would you stop a parent from sending their child to a clinic if they were an addict? You would surely intervene if your child were suffering any other mental or spiritual illness, who why this? Because it's a politicized issue? Because you know a 'nice' gay couple down the road, or a 'cool' lesbian at work? Their sin is still pervasive & damaging. You won't see that 'nice' couple or 'cool' lesbian on the path of Salvation, or in the Glory of His Eternity, so why associate with them, why invite such sin into your life? I'm not the one who made the rules. A parent should do anything & everything to rescue their child from such a path.

Luke 6:37 wrote:"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.

Luke 6:42 wrote:How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,' when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

"James 2:8-13 wrote:f you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, "Love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing right. But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers. For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. For he who said, "Do not commit adultery," also said, "Do not murder." If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker. Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment!

Please stop making my religion look bad with your intolerance. We should focus on our own sin instead of obsessing over the sin of others.

Edit: fixed tag
Last edited by Wikkiwallana on Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:01 pm

Takaram wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Tell them if they stay niggers then they'll go to Hell. *nods*

It's basically saying the same thing. I've always found it annoying when people try to put a different spin on homophobia so that it doesn't look identical to racism. It's the same exact thing with a different target.

A classmate of mine recently told me that her pastor told her that gay men entice other men to become homosexuals. I would've laughed if I wasn't so disgusted.

It was extremely reminiscent of the old "Black men steal white women" stereotypes.
Last edited by Wamitoria on Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

Jesus And The Saints (Ancient)
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jesus And The Saints (Ancient) » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:02 pm

Why is it stupidity to express an opinion? I'm not saying we should 'beat' they gay out of a child, I'm saying a parent has every right to interfere in the development of the child they have raised if they feel that their child is not adhering to the beliefs they raised them with.
His Most Holy Apostolic Imperial & Royal Majesty, The Supreme Emperor of The Holy Empire of Jesus And The Saints, Grand Bishop of Nueva Roma, High King of United Regalis, Inheritor Under Christ of the Most Holy Blood of the Apostolic Saints, Grand Prince of The Majestium, One Who Is Near to The Lord God, Master of the Holy Knights of Subject to The Lord God & The Supreme Emperor.

Isolated China
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Isolated China » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:02 pm

Takaram wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Tell them if they stay niggers then they'll go to Hell. *nods*

Couldn't have said it better myself.
- Lao Tzu
- Sun Tzu
- Chinese Proverb
- Chinese Proverb

Oh and I'm back.

Deus in Machina
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Deus in Machina » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:02 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Deus in Machina wrote:I don't think there is a precedent for that. Maybe we should set one up just to see if it'll fly.

It is possible to interpret certain Bible passages to arrive at that conclusion.
Of course, it's possible to interpret certain Bible passages to arrive at any conclusion you can think of. The trick is to come up with the conclusion first, then look for justification.

Takaram
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Takaram » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:03 pm

Wamitoria wrote:
Takaram wrote:

A classmate of mine recently told me that her pastor told her that gay men entice other men to become homosexuals. I would've laughed if I wasn't so disgusted.

Nothing I haven't heard before, though it's still annoying. I always love to take crap like that, insert black for gay, and turn it back on them.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:03 pm

Takaram wrote:

No, no, no, the difference is that you can choose what you find sexually attractive, right?
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:03 pm

Jesus And The Saints wrote:Why is it stupidity to express an opinion? I'm not saying we should 'beat' they gay out of a child, I'm saying a parent has every right to interfere in the development of the child they have raised if they feel that their child is not adhering to the beliefs they raised them with.

So, if I want my child to be a Nazi, I have the right to name him Adolf and subject him to Nazi propaganda from age 1 up?
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

Deus in Machina
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Deus in Machina » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:04 pm

Isolated China wrote:
Deus in Machina wrote:And if it were as cut and dry as that, there'd be no issue. But religion and homosexuality are both controversial subjects. Hackles will be seriously raised.

Well anyone who tries to say it as "religous" ought to be put on trial and shot. Abuse, in any ways, has no justification.

I absolutely agree. Unfortunately, there's millions of people who don't.
Last edited by Deus in Machina on Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General