NATION

PASSWORD

Wis. G.O.P Receiving Death Threats. No Call for Civility?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should Democratic Party Leaders call for civility in wake of Wis. death threats?

Yes.
59%
Maybe.
7%
No.
34%

Total votes : 171

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:02 pm

Drachmar wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:So are there actual facts or is this news via a press release?

The email was provided to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel by Fitzgerald's spokesperson, Andrew Wellhouse.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/117738098.html

The email is under investigation by the state's Division of Criminal Investigation. Right now it looks as if it's Fitzgerald's word as only a email and text were provided without actual phone numbers or email addresses.

Welhouse on Thursday provided to the Journal Sentinel a copy of the text of one e-mail he said was sent on Wednesday night but would not provide the e-mail address or name of the sender. He said the e-mail was turned over to Capitol Police, who are investigating it.

Indeed. At what was released it looks like "press release" news. Time will tell.........
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:05 pm

You-Gi-Owe wrote:Okay, I'm waiting for the calls for civility....

Okay, I'm waiting for... a You-Gi-Owe thread that isn't ridiculously partisan.

I wonder which of us will be satisfied sooner?
I identify as
a problem

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:06 pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:To the people who voted no: why do you apparently believe the Left should be no better than the Right?

Perhaps, and I don't know because I haven't voted, it's because it puts up a false equivalancy. An unnamed person who sent an e-mail is not the same as, say, a member of the House of Representatives, or a former Vice Presidential candidate, or a nationally recognized pundit and media personality with a millions strong audience who the party apologizes to if they accidentally offend him. The call for civility wasn't really about the rabble, the rabble was the symptom. There's always been an understanding that every crowd has a nut. The criticism wasn't that there were nuts, but that there were people in the leadership who were fanning the flames of the nuts that we all know are there.

The problem is when Giffords was shot it didn't really matter why he shot her, what mattered is we could trace the language of certain leaders and elected officials that encouraged that kind of behavior. There was something to clarify, because when an actual nominated candidate suggests that if elections don't go her way people should look to 'second amendment remedies.' In the light of this unconfirmed e-mailed death threat, where is the direct thread to what has been said by the party leaders that have lead to violence?

It, frankly, is not really the same. Of course someone should not resort to death threats, but to compare it to the systemic rhetoric of party leaders, representatives, and pundits is disingenuous. So maybe that's why they voted no.

Or, you could go by the posts in the thread that have stated that some people don't believe that either side should hold back and that it's perfectly constructive to yell "FACIST!" and "COMMIE!" at each other on their respective channels.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:07 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
You-Gi-Owe wrote:Okay, I'm waiting for the calls for civility....

Okay, I'm waiting for... a You-Gi-Owe thread that isn't ridiculously partisan.

I wonder which of us will be satisfied sooner?

Should hold my breath? I can do it for a long time!

"MMPH.......MMPH"
*turns blue*

"mmmnyyy"

*Collapes*
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:08 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:Those sending the emails should be caught and punished. Those encouraging violence against political leaders should be censured or punished if the calls lead to actual violence.

^This

Seconded. Is someone supposed to be defending it?
I identify as
a problem

You-Gi-Owe
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby You-Gi-Owe » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:10 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:To the people who voted no: why do you apparently believe the Left should be no better than the Right?

Perhaps, and I don't know because I haven't voted, it's because it puts up a false equivalancy. An unnamed person who sent an e-mail is not the same as, say, a member of the House of Representatives, or a former Vice Presidential candidate, or a nationally recognized pundit and media personality with a millions strong audience who the party apologizes to if they accidentally offend him. The call for civility wasn't really about the rabble, the rabble was the symptom. There's always been an understanding that every crowd has a nut. The criticism wasn't that there were nuts, but that there were people in the leadership who were fanning the flames of the nuts that we all know are there.

The problem is when Giffords was shot it didn't really matter why he shot her, what mattered is we could trace the language of certain leaders and elected officials that encouraged that kind of behavior. There was something to clarify, because when an actual nominated candidate suggests that if elections don't go her way people should look to 'second amendment remedies.' In the light of this unconfirmed e-mailed death threat, where is the direct thread to what has been said by the party leaders that have lead to violence?

It, frankly, is not really the same. Of course someone should not resort to death threats, but to compare it to the systemic rhetoric of party leaders, representatives, and pundits is disingenuous. So maybe that's why they voted no.

Or, you could go by the posts in the thread that have stated that some people don't believe that either side should hold back and that it's perfectly constructive to yell "FACIST!" and "COMMIE!" at each other on their respective channels.

Overall, a good post.
I disagree in that I think the timing of the shooting was simply random opportunity.
“Man, I'm so hip I won't even eat a square meal!”
"We've always been at war with Eastasia." 1984, George Orwell
Tyrion: "Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!"
“I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.” ~ James Madison quotes

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:11 pm

No, I'd argue the US is far worse. Undeniably, objectively so.

Here we go.
It has the largest prison industry both in total numbers and per capita of any nation on the planet, disproportionately targeting racial minorities therein.

Who's got the forced labor camps and real concentration camps? Sending even families of suspects there among other things. I'd rather be on death row inside a US prison than try my luck in a DPRK facility. Besides, the numbers are hilariously close. 0.75% for the US and 0.85% for North Korea. I suppose labor camps does not qualify as prison, as it would be a demotion in comparison. How does the DPRK handle illegal immigrants btw? Oh yes, the shoot first, ask later policy.

How many wars has the United States started in the past 60 years? How many has the DPRK?

Quite a few more than the DPRK. What's even more humors is that whenever they fall out of their operations is when real mass slaughter takes place. The pro peace movement lost the US their Vietnam war, and the moment they pulled out a genocide ensured. High level estimate for civilians killed? 70000. High level estimate of the genocide that ensured afterward? 2,5 million. Go non-interventionism!

How many CIA actions abroad has the US undertaken to undercut a democratic regime or support a dictator?

Quite a few, quite a few justified as well. Not to mention the DPRK has had their childish undercover actions of their own. The DMZ tunnel was pretty hilarious.

How many civilians has the US slaughtered and tortured in its imperialist ambitions?

If the US was remotely imperialist the DPRK would not exist today. If they were imperialist they would have actually taken the natural oil reserves to pay of their substantial dept. If they were imperialist they would directly annex nations and not just half-liberate them. I would not attribute imperialist levels of intelligence to the US foreign policy, as it would indicate a financial cynicism that would have seen them far out of said financial harms way. Blaming the US for being imperialist, when ones own supporting region is a hybrid of a despotic monarchy is also quite hilarious on a side note.

Any rational, thinking person who supports the policy of such a nation against one struggling for liberation against imperialism is, in a word, evil.

And your quotes of somehow slaughtering all dissidents/rebels by the multitude in which they exist is somehow benevolent? Soviet/Maoistic like approaches stand responsible for more deaths than the west could ever hope to achieve. Even Pol Pot said that communism was a failure near the end.

But, returning to topic, I'd state simply that I believe in reciprocal ethics. If one's actions lead to the death or equivalent state of an innocent party, they deserve death. Thus, while I personally don't find it in the greater good of the Revolution to act personally in this case, and thus personally do not plan to make any attempt on the lives of these GOP tyrants, if someone did, I'd say they were doing karma a favor, and they'd have my respect much like John Brown, Dietrich Bonhoeffer and Che Guevara who acted similarly in the past,

Che Guevara could not handle a mountain rebel encampment against a third world nation, much less would he be able to in any effective way stand against some of the guardians of the worlds strongest military powerhouse. Which also, by the way, make their worst day on the job look like heaven in comparison to what the Despotic Parliment of Regent Kim's Korea could ever hope to do on their best. The west enjoy a far higher standard of life, far greater benefits, actual civil rights and far greater economic prosperity. Is it all a good and fun? No, at times, success has to be moderated. Less acceptable solutions has, by error or necessity, been taken. However again, they have achieved far more than any communist leaning nation with far fewer casualties. It's just like the east west Berlin divide, were one side did obviously better than the other.

I mean, look at the map. LOOK!

Medieval Luxembourg had more lights than that during the night. There are more developed areas in remote Siberia. North Korea is exploited by a few that make the oil tycoons in Texas look like freaking Robin Hood as far as distributing resources go. Their exploitation makes Bernie Madoff look like Princess Diana. They are the arch-type of the failing collectivist ideal of making the rich and poor even more poor to make the richest, being the state, even richer. China sees them as a unruly child and they are distancing themselves from them. Even as a nuclear power no one takes their multitude of threats, even that of nuclear bombing seriously. For they know, the moment they try, it will be days and hours, not weeks and months before their government is deposed. The worst thing is how much the people of North Korea has to suffer not due to the international pressure painted against their government, but by the government's inability to both provide for and serve it's people. Regardless, the eternal leader seems to have a very temporal span on earth left these days, and I doubt his son will be able to keep the generals in line for too long.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Luciratus
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Luciratus » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:30 pm

Bottle wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:
Not cool.

Eh. I'm sick of all the coded language, the false courtesy, and the back-room dealing. Shit is coming to a boil anyhow, and I'd rather have it out, in the open, under the open sky for all to see.

If we were all sincerely civil and respectfully disagreed with the ideas of the opposition- and I emphasize respectfully- we wouldn't be in this predicament every time a heated issue comes up. You are not Satan, nor am I. There is no need for a violent revolution if we can talk rationally and politely about our opinions on how to improve our beautiful-horrible world. Furthermore, I will make the same comment that I did when Sarah Palin was decried for causing the Tuscon Incident- the majority of the individuals involved in these organizations are not crazy nor do the main-stream organizers want to systematically murder the opposition. If you assert anything else, it is highly partisan and nearly tantamount to conspiracy bullshit.

Also, why all the hate for Republicans these days? Half the threads that I have witnessed in the past few days have been Democratic demonizing of the opposition for no apparent reason. In all honesty, some of us do question the more extreme policies (the new blood tends to be more Conservative than Bush- who was relatively moderate compared to the New Republican Party: Gingrich, Reagan, ect.). However, I also questioned Obama and the Democrats.
Stop the killing! Free Libya!
Please, help Japan and Oceania in any manner possible. Pray or hope for their safety and health.
I am a Grammar Nazi. As such, I prefer posts that are comprehensible.
Mosasauria wrote:War is a necessary evil. True peace is impossible.
As long as we tell ourselves the first sentence, the second one will always be true.

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Cameroi wrote:And I still say, 9 out of 10 fetuses would rather be aborted then be born unwanted.

Did you poll those fetuses on their opinion?

Ezekiel Bardoff (dictator)
Yavid Biram (chairman)
Yashua Mithridates (two terms)
Alistaire Hawthorne (current)

Factbook

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:35 pm

Luciratus wrote:
Also, why all the hate for Republicans these days? Half the threads that I have witnessed in the past few days have been Democratic demonizing of the opposition for no apparent reason.

You are assuming the people are all democrats. Many aren't. I am registered "no party" in fact.

So are you suggesting the Repubs don't deserve the animosity?

In all honesty, some of us do question the more extreme policies (the new blood tends to be more Conservative than Bush- who was relatively moderate compared to the New Republican Party: Gingrich, Reagan, ect.). However, I also questioned Obama and the Democrats.

Episarta
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Episarta » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:38 pm

Although I loathe the GOP and most of their policies, I believe Domocratic leaders should call for civility. Mostly so the GOP does not turn this around against them.
Economic Left/Right: -7.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79
By the pricking of our thumbs, something wicked this way comes.
Up-to-date factbook is on my nation's main page

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:38 pm

You-Gi-Owe wrote:
Gauthier wrote:And if death threads had been issued to the Fourteen, would that even be a YGO thread?

Of course not.

I just Googled for death threats against Wis. Democratic Party Politicians... Nothing there. :eyebrow:

try Wis Republican Party Politicians death threats.

http://nation.foxnews.com/politics/2011 ... th-threats
on the other hand... I have another set of fingers.

Unscramble these words...1) PNEIS. 2)HTIELR 3) NGGERI 4) BUTTSXE
1) SPINE. 2) LITHER 3)GINGER 4)SUBTEXT

Republicke
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Republicke » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:39 pm

Luciratus wrote:
Bottle wrote:Eh. I'm sick of all the coded language, the false courtesy, and the back-room dealing. Shit is coming to a boil anyhow, and I'd rather have it out, in the open, under the open sky for all to see.

If we were all sincerely civil and respectfully disagreed with the ideas of the opposition- and I emphasize respectfully- we wouldn't be in this predicament every time a heated issue comes up. You are not Satan, nor am I. There is no need for a violent revolution if we can talk rationally and politely about our opinions on how to improve our beautiful-horrible world. Furthermore, I will make the same comment that I did when Sarah Palin was decried for causing the Tuscon Incident- the majority of the individuals involved in these organizations are not crazy nor do the main-stream organizers want to systematically murder the opposition. If you assert anything else, it is highly partisan and nearly tantamount to conspiracy bullshit.

Also, why all the hate for Republicans these days? Half the threads that I have witnessed in the past few days have been Democratic demonizing of the opposition for no apparent reason. In all honesty, some of us do question the more extreme policies (the new blood tends to be more Conservative than Bush- who was relatively moderate compared to the New Republican Party: Gingrich, Reagan, ect.). However, I also questioned Obama and the Democrats.

'Cause the Republicans who we have witnessed in the news these past few days have been pretty atrocious (ie: Wisconsin) as has been the reportage thereof. Also, there's the whole "entitlement" debacle, the budget more generally, and the Tea Party in recent memory - a backlash was inevitable. It's just a shame that it hasn't galvanized people to a greater extent.
Economic Left/Right: -6.00, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.85

"Never apologize for showing feeling. When you do so, you apologize for truth."
- B. Disraeli

Bramborska wrote:Muscular liberalism? He took my gay stripper name!

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:40 pm

The Governor recently got a call for civilty...From David Koch!
Oh, has that joke been made already?
Oh wait...I'm on the wrong side of the argument to make that joke...
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Xsyne
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Xsyne » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:06 pm

JuNii wrote:
You-Gi-Owe wrote:I just Googled for death threats against Wis. Democratic Party Politicians... Nothing there. :eyebrow:

try Wis Republican Party Politicians death threats.

http://nation.foxnews.com/politics/2011 ... th-threats

Yes, that's what the thread is about.
If global warming is real, why are there still monkeys? - Msigroeg
Pro: Stuff
Anti: Things
Chernoslavia wrote:
Free Soviets wrote:according to both the law library of congress and wikipedia, both automatics and semi-autos that can be easily converted are outright banned in norway.

Source?

Wamitoria
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wamitoria » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:26 pm

These threats are in no way connected to the Democratic Party, just like the threats against politicians who passed the Health care bill are in no way connected to the Republican Party.
Wonder where all the good posters went? Look no further!

Hurry, before the Summer Nazis show up again!

Tsa-la-gi Nation
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tsa-la-gi Nation » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:36 pm

Absolulety not. Walker & his Nazis went way too far & extreme action breeds extreme action. They went for the juggular & they got their bloody victory & now they will get nothing done that will require any democrats support in their state. As a national side effect, they may have awaken what is left of the US labor movement. Government service workers are almost all AFL-CIO. This includes teachers, police, firefighters, postal workers, & so on. Imagine all those workers on a national strike. Sure it's illegal for government service workers to strike, but these people see attacks on collective bargining as an attack on their civil rights.

These people believe that right to work states are backwards throwback economic systems that go back to the days of near feudalism. What's next? Let's take away child labor laws, or overtime pay for over 40 hours of work. It doesn't matter if you agree with this point of view, as long as you understand that american workers fought & in some cases died for these rights. The Wisconsin Nazis should have known that union workers still remember this & hold these rights dear.

When Ronald Reagan died I believe that the air traffic controllers that supported him & then got fired by him, had every right to pick up a glass & toast to his death, cheering the worms to get fat on his rotting flesh. By god, every union worker in this country has the same right the day Walker dies as soon as he signs his USSRish bill into law. May his life be short & full of torment & upon his death, may the homeless use his gravesite as a latrine.

I am ashamed to see this country become a country that seeks to take away the standard of living of middle class workers. I thought we were the county that looked to the workers not doing as well & tried to figure out how to get them into the middle class, not the county that looks to the workers doing well & knock them out of middle class wages. Growing up, I was taught that's the sort of thing the USSR would do & that's why we needed to stand up to them.

Walker & his Nazis has done nothing but inspired me to make my union meetings for the 1st time in years & reminded me that rights are never given, they must be fought for. The fight maybe with words, protest, civil disobedience, arms or any combination of the listed. It's Walkers governing without any desire of concensus that is completey uncivil to say the least. More than likely the death threats are just an outlet for anger not felt of the like in years, but these Nazis will reap what they sow.
Last edited by Tsa-la-gi Nation on Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:44 pm

Ashmoria wrote:if someone is issuing death threats do you call for civility or call the cops?

normally I call a posse.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:50 pm

Death threats are out of line. Any physical threat against a democratically elected official is out of line when democratic solutions are still available is out of line.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:02 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:Death threats are out of line. Any physical threat against a democratically elected official is out of line when democratic solutions are still available is out of line.

Democratic solutions are not available when the other side has won.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Wis. G.O.P Receiving Death Threats. No Call for Civility

Postby Alien Space Bats » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:05 pm

greed and death wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:Death threats are out of line. Any physical threat against a democratically elected official is out of line when democratic solutions are still available is out of line.

Democratic solutions are not available when the other side has won.

They've only won when they take away your right to vote them out.

<pause>

Maybe I shouldn't point that out too loudly?
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:08 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:
greed and death wrote:Democratic solutions are not available when the other side has won.

They've only won when they take away your right to vote them out.

<pause>

I can not vote them out this second.
Barack Obama

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Wis. G.O.P Receiving Death Threats. No Call for Civility

Postby Alien Space Bats » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:13 pm

greed and death wrote:
Alien Space Bats wrote:They've only won when they take away your right to vote them out.

<pause>

I can not vote them out this second.

Well, you can vote them out in a few months (or a year, in Walker's case).

For now.
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:14 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:
greed and death wrote:I can not vote them out this second.

For now.

Until that election I get to use violence.
Barack Obama

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Postby Cannot think of a name » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:15 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:
greed and death wrote:I can not vote them out this second.

For now.

I believe that they are going for recalls. Though I also seem to remember that the tea party folk were talking the same talk about the Democratic senators who left, and pretty much any time there's a kerfuffle someone somewhere talks about a recall, so...
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Drachmar
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Drachmar » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:25 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:Well, you can vote them out in a few months (or a year, in Walker's case).

For now.

I believe that they are going for recalls. Though I also seem to remember that the tea party folk were talking the same talk about the Democratic senators who left, and pretty much any time there's a kerfuffle someone somewhere talks about a recall, so...

A group from Utah was trying to organize a recall effort against the Senate Democrats. Don't know if that's gained traction or not.

But the recall effort against Senate Republicans and Scott Walker is srs business...srsly. ;)
Favorite quotes:

Grave_n_idle wrote:
United Marktoria wrote:Your unconscious mind is gold. my friend.

...which explains why people keep sticking shovels in your head.

Katganistan wrote:
North Wiedna wrote:I'm a monster in bed.

Women run screaming from you? ;)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General