NATION

PASSWORD

Wis. GOP strips public workers' bargaining rights

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Buurdland
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Buurdland » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:38 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Buurdland wrote:I don't see how this possibly violates open meeting laws. The Democrats that fled have missed how many days of work now? If you skipped that many days of work would you still have a job? Should politicians be any different?

Er... open meeting laws do not work that way.

True, but the average voter would not know this. The Republicans could easily argue that since the Democrats went MIA for about a month they had no other choice and try to say the Democrats were trying to slow down the already crawling bureaucracy and thus cost the taxpayers more money then necessary. Most voters do not like their money being wasted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WhkMznIKBc&feature=player_embedded

"The greatest troll of our generation."
- The Sun
☆☆☆☆☆

"You'll never look at trolling the same way again"
- The Times
☆☆☆☆☆

"Truly sets the standard for trolling in the new decade"
- The Guardian
☆☆☆☆

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:38 pm

greed and death wrote:
NERVUN wrote:The penalty will not be the voiding of laws, but the fact that it makes a nice sign to hang around your opponet's neck.

After all, noting that "Not only did Sen Whoever voted to strip rights away from (Insert group here), he did so while violating state law. Do you really want to return a lawbreaker to the state senate?" makes a good argument that is hard to squirm around.

Possibly, though given its a misdemeanor the GOP will likely equate it to a traffic ticket they got while taking care doing what is right. That's of course provided the Dems even remember where their balls are come election time.

The Democrats have Balls? :blink:

Galenaima
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galenaima » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:38 pm

Sdaeriji wrote:
Galenaima wrote:
Explain how so.

Because it is factually inaccurate.

And how is it? I need a specific example.
***My nation does not represent my actual political beliefs***
Oterro wrote:I read it in Latest Forum Topics and was like; ''oho, some chap managed to keep himself seated for 2 years and finally stood up!''
But no. Morbidly obese man dies in chair, covered in shit.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:Is Hell North Korea off earth?

Wikkiwallana wrote:I don't like flamish anyone. It distresses me to see people on fire. People who like to get involved with their own gender don't bother me at all though.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:38 pm

Brewdomia wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:which is why wisconsin has one of the best school systems in the country?

http://education.usnews.rankingsandrevi ... statistics

#44 is good?

i dont know what that is measuring but the suggestion t hat new mexico has better schools than wisconsin is ludicrous.

ive lived in both states.
whatever

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:39 pm

greed and death wrote:
NERVUN wrote:The penalty will not be the voiding of laws, but the fact that it makes a nice sign to hang around your opponet's neck.

After all, noting that "Not only did Sen Whoever voted to strip rights away from (Insert group here), he did so while violating state law. Do you really want to return a lawbreaker to the state senate?" makes a good argument that is hard to squirm around.

Possibly, though given its a misdemeanor the GOP will likely equate it to a traffic ticket they got while taking care doing what is right. That's of course provided the Dems even remember where their balls are come election time.

KInda hard to do so, but, again, it is dependant upon the person running.

If I were, I would pound it for all its worth though.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Brewdomia
Senator

Founded: Jun 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Brewdomia » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:40 pm

Ashmoria wrote:

i dont know what that is measuring but the suggestion t hat new mexico has better schools than wisconsin is ludicrous.

ive lived in both states.

Meh, I live in Wisconsin, some teachers are good, others suck. Must be one of those definite things in life or whatever.

Itinerate Tree Dweller
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby Itinerate Tree Dweller » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:41 pm

Brewdomia wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:which is why wisconsin has one of the best school systems in the country?

http://education.usnews.rankingsandrevi ... statistics

#44 is good?

Well... it's in the top 50, so that's got to count for something.
The Illustrious Empire of the United Romans and the Commonwealth Territories (PMT)
Emperor Regulus Serius Sirius - Prime Minister Tiberius Serius Primulus - Foreign Secretary Jeffery Kandel
Factbook - Military - Embassy Exchange - NSwiki Entry - NS Economy Page - The United Reddit Nations
Serius Industries - News Feed - NS Tracker Page - National Website - Player Info - CAPINTERN
Emperor Primus Serius Sirius - Prime Minister Cassius Serius Sirius - Foreign Secretary Matthew Stonewall
Factbook - Fleet - Embassy Exchange - NSwiki Entry

Jolt Veteran +2,228 posts - Oderint dum metuant - Current Status: Peace
Max Berries are part of a balanced breakfast.

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:41 pm

Galenaima wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:
Because it is factually inaccurate.

Congress did not hold a vote while Republican senators were absent from the chamber in protest.

The thing you said was a lie.
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?
Farnhamia wrote:four-letter word "Rules"

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:41 pm

Brewdomia wrote:
NERVUN wrote:The GOP of 2011 is doing as the Dems of 2009 did, over reaching. I'm not too sure why, but apparently both parties seem to be missing the idea that the bulk of the voters don't like them so much as they wanted to punish the other party.

The Dems didn't really overreach, they have a bad marketing team, and public opinion turned on them. The Republicans, while having more bad ideas, are better at politics.

No, they overreached. Not saying that President Obama and that Congress didn't get a lot done, but they were operating on the assumption that the rest of the nation was with them compleatly instead of more divided and that the 2008 election was not built on a lot of anger at President Bush.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:41 pm

If the Democrats and the unions don't use this as ammunition for the Recall Blitzkrieg then we have truly become the Kingdom of Gilead. Which means I'll be off shoveling nuclear waste.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Wis. GOP strips public workers' bargaining rights

Postby Alien Space Bats » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:42 pm

Galenaima wrote:
Alien Space Bats wrote:Yeah, I mean, WTF do people need rights for? Only corporations need rights; people mean nothing.

Federal workers don't have collective bargaining rights, why do state workers? Besides, we're BROKE--people don't like not having massive pensions? Oh well.

And voters don't really need to elect the public officials who pass their laws and decide how their money is spent. I mean, we're BROKE -- people don't like having democracy and home rule? Oh, well.

"Vote Republican! After all, it's easy - AND YOU ONLY HAVE TO DO IT ONCE!!!"
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

Galenaima
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Galenaima » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:42 pm

Sdaeriji wrote:
Galenaima wrote:

Congress did not hold a vote while Republican senators were absent from the chamber in protest.

That's because the Republicans didn't walk out on the taxpayers--they fought on till the bitter end. Nobody was blocking the Dems from re-entering; they could've come back, they had plenty of chances. And they didn't take 'em. Therefore, blame them for what just happened.
Oterro wrote:I read it in Latest Forum Topics and was like; ''oho, some chap managed to keep himself seated for 2 years and finally stood up!''

Wikkiwallana wrote:I don't like flamish anyone. It distresses me to see people on fire. People who like to get involved with their own gender don't bother me at all though.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:42 pm

Buurdland wrote:
NERVUN wrote:Er... open meeting laws do not work that way.

True, but the average voter would not know this. The Republicans could easily argue that since the Democrats went MIA for about a month they had no other choice and try to say the Democrats were trying to slow down the already crawling bureaucracy and thus cost the taxpayers more money then necessary. Most voters do not like their money being wasted.

Voters also tend to not like politicans violating laws.

Xomic
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 12, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Xomic » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:42 pm

New Manvir wrote:
Minoriteeburg wrote:
How can this not hurt them. Unions across the country will be upset about this, and this will severely hurt the GOP come 2012.

I have very little faith in your country and it's people voters.

But I would like to see the GOP get knocked down a peg.

Yeah.

This is incredibly idiotic on the part of Walker, but given that he did the exact same shit when he was mayor (or something) of some town or something (strip unionised worker's rights in a 'budget crisis' while, irrc doing some incredibly shady political actions like he's done here) it seemed likely to pass.
Political compass
Economic Left/Right: -6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.21

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:43 pm

Galenaima wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:

That's because the Republicans didn't walk out on the taxpayers--they fought on till the bitter end. Nobody was blocking the Dems from re-entering; they could've come back, they had plenty of chances. And they didn't take 'em. Therefore, blame them for what just happened.

So you admit you lied.
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?

Itinerate Tree Dweller
Ambassador

Anarchy

Postby Itinerate Tree Dweller » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:43 pm

Buurdland wrote:
NERVUN wrote:Er... open meeting laws do not work that way.

The Wisconsin Senate already decided to punish the 14 Senators by fining them for missing work, as only the Senate has the ability to punish its members for such an offense. A spokesperson for the 14 said they would pay the fines.
The Illustrious Empire of the United Romans and the Commonwealth Territories (PMT)
Emperor Regulus Serius Sirius - Prime Minister Tiberius Serius Primulus - Foreign Secretary Jeffery Kandel
Factbook - Military - Embassy Exchange - NSwiki Entry - NS Economy Page - The United Reddit Nations
Serius Industries - News Feed - NS Tracker Page - National Website - Player Info - CAPINTERN
Emperor Primus Serius Sirius - Prime Minister Cassius Serius Sirius - Foreign Secretary Matthew Stonewall
Factbook - Fleet - Embassy Exchange - NSwiki Entry

Jolt Veteran +2,228 posts - Oderint dum metuant - Current Status: Peace
Max Berries are part of a balanced breakfast.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:43 pm

NERVUN wrote:
greed and death wrote:Possibly, though given its a misdemeanor the GOP will likely equate it to a traffic ticket they got while taking care doing what is right. That's of course provided the Dems even remember where their balls are come election time.

KInda hard to do so, but, again, it is dependant upon the person running.

Have you been in the US long enough to even run for the Senate. Seems like the Democrats with balls have fled the country.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:44 pm

Galenaima wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:

Wasn't moving that goalpost heavy?

Galenaima
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Galenaima » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:44 pm

Sdaeriji wrote:
Galenaima wrote:

So you admit you lied.

How did I lie? They still shoved it down our throats.

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:44 pm

Galenaima wrote:
Sdaeriji wrote:
So you admit you lied.

That is a lie.

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Wis. GOP strips public workers' bargaining rights

Postby Alien Space Bats » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:45 pm

Sdaeriji wrote:
Galenaima wrote:
Federal workers don't have collective bargaining rights, why do state workers? Besides, we're BROKE--people don't like not having massive pensions? Oh well.

Even a grade school understanding of the situation would allow you to know that the union had already granted all the financial concessions, and that the opposition was to the requirement that the union sign away their rights to negotiate later. You seem to be lacking that understanding.

He's a member of the "Don't Bother Me With The Facts - Just Tell Me What FOX Says" generation!

Thinking is a snap when someone else does it for you.
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:45 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Brewdomia wrote:
The Dems didn't really overreach, they have a bad marketing team, and public opinion turned on them. The Republicans, while having more bad ideas, are better at politics.

No, they overreached. Not saying that President Obama and that Congress didn't get a lot done, but they were operating on the assumption that the rest of the nation was with them compleatly instead of more divided and that the 2008 election was not built on a lot of anger at President Bush.

Which is true, and worse, mid-way through they pussied out of it. Meaning they went far enough that the right and moderates are pissed, but not far enough that they could hold onto their base. Perfect storm for losing an election.

I mean, if you're going to overreach there's a trick to it, the Republicans are good at it. That is, if you do it, you go all the way and as hard as possible, so that you keep your base fervent for you. That way the moderate position is still to the right of center.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:45 pm

Xomic wrote:
New Manvir wrote:
I have very little faith in your country and it's people voters.

But I would like to see the GOP get knocked down a peg.

Yeah.

This is incredibly idiotic on the part of Walker, but given that he did the exact same shit when he was mayor (or something) of some town or something (strip unionised worker's rights in a 'budget crisis' while, irrc doing some incredibly shady political actions like he's done here) it seemed likely to pass.

And the private security company he hired to replace the unionized guards were shady to say the least.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Galenaima
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Galenaima » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:46 pm

Sdaeriji wrote:
Galenaima wrote:

That is a lie.

We didn't want it, as most polls would show. Therefore, it was shoved down our throats--don't pretend you didn't hear the protests.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:46 pm

greed and death wrote:
NERVUN wrote:KInda hard to do so, but, again, it is dependant upon the person running.

Have you been in the US long enough to even run for the Senate. Seems like the Democrats with balls have fled the country.

Well, I spent the first 25 years of my life in the US, AFAIK I'm still an American citizen, native born and all that.

And I have no political desiers whatsoever. I have enough fun just trying to moderate NationStates! :p

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General