NATION

PASSWORD

Islamophobia in America: "One nation under God, not Allah"

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you believe Islamophobia is on the rise in America?

Yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes : 201

Prizyetsa
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Prizyetsa » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:01 pm

Keronians wrote:
Cerod wrote:I do believe Islamophobia is a huge problem in the USA and its should be treated likewise

You should go to France or Britain...

Lol, or Switzerland...

EnragedMaldivians
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 01, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby EnragedMaldivians » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:10 pm

*Sigh*Some Non Muslims fearmonger against Muslims, and some Muslims against Non-Muslims. Experienced both (since in the West, I am indistinguishable from a Muslim, and back home I am an apostate.)

Fun times we live in. At least it's looking better than the first half of the last century.

Lol, or Switzerland...

Geneva wasn't that bad. That Minaret thing was unduly sensationalist in my opinion; doesn't fit in with the architechture of the rest of the city. They didn't ban mosques.
Last edited by EnragedMaldivians on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taking a break.

Vecherd
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vecherd » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:38 pm

Keronians wrote:
Vecherd wrote:
Really?. Maybe if you live in some kind of super Anti-Islam country, which do not exist. Only countries that kiss the ass of Fundamentalist Muslims or are neutral. Just my European though.

Not to sound offending, but, you're a rightist, aren't you?

Socially or Economically?.
[align=center]Frie markeder Frie folk
[spoiler=Political Stuff]Left/Right: 8.12
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -10.00

Johz
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Johz » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:48 pm

Keronians wrote:
Cerod wrote:I do believe Islamophobia is a huge problem in the USA and its should be treated likewise

Britain is (has been) rather good, although when Dave the Rave (the Rip Stick Stave) tells the world that 'multiculturalism has failed', you rather wonder why anyone bothers.
Always Ready (With a Cuppa): UDL
Praise [violet] for safe switching!

The Village of Johz - (Factbook)
Head of Foreign Affairs:
Mr Newman
Head of the Flower Rota: Mrs Figgis
Population: 269 (Johzians)
Sometime between when the "evolution is just a theory" nonesense dies out, and when Ashmoria starts using captitalization. - EnragedMaldivians
It's called a tangent. It tends to happen on NSG. - Olthar
[E]very Brit I've met on the internet has been violently apathetic. - Conserative Morality
This is Johz. I'd like to give him a hug someday. - Celly
See a mistake? Send me a telegram!|I would be very much indebted to you.
LINKS: My Website|Barryman|Gay Marriage: Who will be next?

#NSG on esper.net - Join us!
Also, bonobos zygons.

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Islamophobia in America: "One nation under God, not Alla

Postby Alien Space Bats » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:01 pm

Vitius wrote:I live near Dearborn, Michigan (often referred to as the Muslim Capital of America)...

OMFG!!! OMFG!!! You live under Sha'ria Law!!!!

<pause>

You have no idea how many Americans still believe that Dearborn is governed by Sha'ria Law after that canard went around conservative whack-job circles last fall.
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:05 pm

The funny thing is, the "Ground Zero Mosque" was:

1. Not at ground zero. It was several streets away.

2. Not a mosque. It was a general community centre type thing, which was meant to be used by Muslims to pray in sometimes.
Removing the text from people's sigs doesn't make it any less true. I stand with Yalta.

Risna
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 24, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Risna » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:05 pm

Ok while i disagree with the protesters they have a right to protest no matter how stupid their cause is :palm:
”Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly. “
GENERATION 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:08 pm

Indeed. Still, I would have started a fight were I there. Not intentionally. I just get angry....
Removing the text from people's sigs doesn't make it any less true. I stand with Yalta.

EnragedMaldivians
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby EnragedMaldivians » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:12 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:
Vitius wrote:I live near Dearborn, Michigan (often referred to as the Muslim Capital of America)...

OMFG!!! OMFG!!! You live under Sha'ria Law!!!!

<pause>

You have no idea how many Americans still believe that Dearborn is governed by Sha'ria Law after that canard went around conservative whack-job circles last fall.

As someone from the Muslim world, I should mention that pro-sharia morons have enough trouble getting most Muslims on board with their full theocratic Agenda. Our local version of the franchise (the Adhaalath part), won a staggering 0.8% of the vote in a self proclaimed 100% Muslim country. At most they get away with a quasi sharia, where Islam is the state religion, and apostasy and secularism are guarded against. But that's in the Muslim world. The notion that they could somehow take over freaking Michigan is ridiculous.

They are dangerous though. To the Muslim world. And to secular Muslims, and apostates. (Not to mention Women) Not to the West.
Last edited by EnragedMaldivians on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taking a break.

Helertia
Minister

Founded: Nov 28, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Helertia » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:16 pm

EnragedMaldivians wrote:
Alien Space Bats wrote:OMFG!!! OMFG!!! You live under Sha'ria Law!!!!

<pause>

As someone from the Muslim world, I should mention that pro-sharia morons have enough trouble getting most Muslims on board with their theocratic Agenda. Our local version of the franchise (the Adhaalath part), won a staggering 0.8% of the vote in a self proclaimed 100% Muslim country. The notion that they could somehow take over freaking Michigan is ridiculous.

They are dangerous though. To the Muslim world. Not to the West.

In all fairness, they could probably take over Michigan relatively easily. It's not like anyone else wants it, after all.
Do hypocrites hate hypocrisy?

Nodinia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 08, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Nodinia » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:23 pm

F1-Insanity wrote:Well, those 'picketers' should have said islam condones and promotes paedophilia (it does in fact condone sexual relations between a man and pre-teen girls, even babies according to the late Khomeini) ........

No, not according to the late Khomeni..... Nor is the story about condoning bestiality true.
F1-Insanity wrote:
What is islamphobia........

A phenomena that has greatly increased in recent years, due to American propoganda which is repeated by those too happy to find something that agrees with their prejudices to check the facts.
Last edited by Nodinia on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sierra Lobo
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sierra Lobo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:25 pm

EnragedMaldivians wrote:
Alien Space Bats wrote:OMFG!!! OMFG!!! You live under Sha'ria Law!!!!

<pause>

As someone from the Muslim world, I should mention that pro-sharia morons have enough trouble getting most Muslims on board with their full theocratic Agenda. Our local version of the franchise (the Adhaalath part), won a staggering 0.8% of the vote in a self proclaimed 100% Muslim country. At most they get away with a quasi sharia, where Islam is the state religion, and apostasy and secularism are guarded against. But that's in the Muslim world. The notion that they could somehow take over freaking Michigan is ridiculous.

They are dangerous though. To the Muslim world. And to secular Muslims, and apostates. (Not to mention Women) Not to the West.

The radical voice is resonating though.

We need more moderates with a loud megaphone to start showing the world what Islam is really is. I am trying to study Islam in my leisure but I am having difficulty on how to get an english translated Qu'ran and other islamic literature. All I get in the internet are biased accounts with lots of posturing in killing the 'infidels'. We have anti-mulim fanatics spewing nonsense about how hateful islam is or the glazed fanaticism of how glorious it is to die for the islam .... i do not see the moderates. I DO NOT SEE ANY INTELLECTUAL DISCOURSE ABOUT ISLAM AT ALL AND IF I FIND AN ARTICLE IT IS IN ARABIC. :palm:
Last edited by Sierra Lobo on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Economic Left/Right: -2.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.21

"Then there are the fanatical atheists whose intolerance is the same as that of the religious fanatics, and it springs from the same source . . . They are creatures who can't hear the music of the spheres." - Einstein

“Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side”

Keronians
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:36 pm

Johz wrote:
Keronians wrote:

Britain is (has been) rather good, although when Dave the Rave (the Rip Stick Stave) tells the world that 'multiculturalism has failed', you rather wonder why anyone bothers.

It has? The English Defense League ring any bells?
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

Ordo Drakul
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ordo Drakul » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:38 pm

Sierra Lobo wrote:
EnragedMaldivians wrote:

We need more moderates with a loud megaphone to start showing the world what Islam is really is. I am trying to study Islam in my leisure but I am having difficulty on how to get an english translated Qu'ran and other islamic literature. All I get in the internet are biased accounts with lots of posturing in killing the 'infidels'. We have anti-mulim fanatics spewing nonsense about how hateful islam is or the glazed fanaticism of how glorious it is to die for the islam. I DO NOT SEE ANY INTELLECTUAL DISCOURSE ABOUT ISLAM AT ALL AND IF I FIND AN ARTICLE IT IS IN ARABIC. :palm:

There's no intellectual discourse about Islamaphobia, either-rather than considering it's a media driven nonentity, everyone here is happy to demonize others as possessing it. Except themselves, of course.
Religion is something people are far too passionate about for reasonable discourse.

Ovisterra
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Ovisterra » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:40 pm

I just practise my own religion and that's it. You could all be Pastafarians for all I know or care!

Horsefish
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Horsefish » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:43 pm

Keronians wrote:
Johz wrote:

It has? The English Defense League ring any bells?

Of course a fringe group which is counter-protested everytime it meets by other people is obviously a wide spread problem.
Areopagitican wrote:I'm not an expert in the field of moron, but what I think he's saying is that if you have to have sex with Shakira (or another dirty ethnic), at the very least, it must be part of a threesome with a white woman. It's a sacrifice, but someone has to make it.

Geniasis wrote:Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go bludgeon some whales to death with my 12-ft dick.

Georgism wrote:
Geniasis wrote:Maybe if you showered every now and then...

That's what the Nazis said, we're not falling for that one again.

The Western Reaches wrote:I learned that YOU are the reason I embarrassed myself by saying "Horsefish" instead of "Seahorse" this one time in school.

What's wrong with a little destruction?

Keronians
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:43 pm

Ordo Drakul wrote:
Sierra Lobo wrote:The radical voice is resonating though.

We need more moderates with a loud megaphone to start showing the world what Islam is really is. I am trying to study Islam in my leisure but I am having difficulty on how to get an english translated Qu'ran and other islamic literature. All I get in the internet are biased accounts with lots of posturing in killing the 'infidels'. We have anti-mulim fanatics spewing nonsense about how hateful islam is or the glazed fanaticism of how glorious it is to die for the islam. I DO NOT SEE ANY INTELLECTUAL DISCOURSE ABOUT ISLAM AT ALL AND IF I FIND AN ARTICLE IT IS IN ARABIC. :palm:

There's no intellectual discourse about Islamaphobia, either-rather than considering it's a media driven nonentity, everyone here is happy to demonize others as possessing it. Except themselves, of course.
Religion is something people are far too passionate about for reasonable discourse.

Indeed, the experiment with atheism showed similar results. Perhaps agnoticism is the way to go? Then again, I'm not sure if that would work.

Hint: bad joke.
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

EnragedMaldivians
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby EnragedMaldivians » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:43 pm

We need more moderates with a loud megaphone to start showing the world what Islam is really is. I am trying to study Islam in my leisure but I am having difficulty on how to get an english translated Qu'ran and other islamic literature. All I get in the internet are biased accounts with lots of posturing in killing the 'infidels'. We have anti-mulim fanatics spewing nonsense about how hateful islam is or the glazed fanaticism of how glorious it is to die for the islam. I DO NOT SEE ANY INTELLECTUAL DISCOURSE ABOUT ISLAM AT ALL AND IF I FIND AN ARTICLE IT IS IN ARABIC.

I said I am from the Muslim world. Not that I'm Muslim.

Nobody need to show anyone anything. It's a flawed religion, introduced to the world through a flawed man who said he could talk to God.

Combating racists perceptions of it, by presenting an equally biased, patronisingly positive impression of it is futile.

Islam is just a religion. nothing more, nothing less. You don't have to love it. Tolerance is enough.

And the reasons moderates don't speak out is because the Wahhabis aren't just bark; getting labeled as an apostate is very very bad. They'll bite.
Last edited by EnragedMaldivians on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taking a break.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:50 pm

ilsam is no crazier or intolerant than any other religion, al qaeda is no different than the knights of the kkk, they just have foreign powers to target. If the US had standing Canadian troops in it the quad K would be blowing up Canadian buildings. Telling people there is an ultimate infallible source for knowledge and morality causes these kinds of groups. Its the inevitable result of faith.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Sierra Lobo
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sierra Lobo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:54 pm

EnragedMaldivians wrote:

We need more moderates with a loud megaphone to start showing the world what Islam is really is. I am trying to study Islam in my leisure but I am having difficulty on how to get an english translated Qu'ran and other islamic literature. All I get in the internet are biased accounts with lots of posturing in killing the 'infidels'. We have anti-mulim fanatics spewing nonsense about how hateful islam is or the glazed fanaticism of how glorious it is to die for the islam. I DO NOT SEE ANY INTELLECTUAL DISCOURSE ABOUT ISLAM AT ALL AND IF I FIND AN ARTICLE IT IS IN ARABIC.

I said I am from the Muslim world. Not that I'm Muslim.

Nobody need to show anyone anything. It's a flawed religion, introduced to the world through a flawed man who said he could talk to God.

Combating racists perceptions of it, by presenting an equally biased, patronisingly positive impression of it is futile.

Islam is just a religion. nothing more, nothing less. You don't have to love it. Tolerance is enough.

And the reasons moderates don't speak out is because the Wahhabis aren't just bark; getting labeled as an apostate is very very bad. They'll bite.

I just find it difficult to find untainted sources of islamic literature (without all the BS) . If I do find one its in arabic that is why it is frustrating. I wont label Islam as a flawed religion...... one should not judge before you have all the information at your disposal. I rather come up with my own conclusions.
Economic Left/Right: -2.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.21

"Then there are the fanatical atheists whose intolerance is the same as that of the religious fanatics, and it springs from the same source . . . They are creatures who can't hear the music of the spheres." - Einstein

“Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side”

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:58 pm

And the cherry topping on the crap sundae, Representative Peter King (R-NY) is holding a Muslim Inquisition and is trying to make himself a Terrorist Hunting McCarthy.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/2chambers/2011/03/previewing_peter_kings_hearing.html

It also falls under the "Cast The First Stone" Department considering that this is the same Peter King who pretty much cheerlead for the IRA.

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2011/03/09/peter-kings-ira-support-resurfaces-as-lawmaker-probes-muslim-ra/
Last edited by Gauthier on Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

EnragedMaldivians
Powerbroker

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby EnragedMaldivians » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:01 pm

I just find it difficult to find untainted sources of islamic literature (without all the BS) . If I do find one its in arabic that is why it is frustrating. I wont label Islam as a flawed religion...... one should not judge before you have all the information at your disposal. I rather come up with my own conclusions.

Fair enough. But I don't beleive in God, so anyone who says he can talk to God wasn't telling the truth in my view. Thus I distrust Muhammads motives, especially in the context that he did acquire a lot of political power.

Secondly, he was human. Humans are flawed.

It's a big and complex religion, revealed over 20 years; there is no pure Islam as such whatever anyone tells you, since like all religions it is socially constructed and subject to interpretation. (And has been interpreted and reinterpreted for over 1400 years.) good luck.

But if you are interested in Sunni Islam. Just get Bukhari, and the Qur'an. I don't know anything about Shia Islam, so I won't comment on it.

Anyway, one of my points was that it is possible to have a negative impression of the mainstream theology but not demonize practicing followers. Tolerance is they key.

(Unless they are Wahhabi).
Last edited by EnragedMaldivians on Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Taking a break.

Aglrinia
Minister

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Aglrinia » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:05 pm

Islamophobia is not on the rise in America the GOP is just as they always have been. If something is deemed a threat in their eyes it must be destroyed, it's practically another red scare. If you want to anger a right wing nut job call them a muslim.
Jakker wrote:TBH is Pro-bring Life to GP

Qatarab
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Qatarab » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:11 pm

Americans feared Communists only a few decades ago,Japs and Nazis nearly half a century or more ago,Southerners nearly 2 centuries ago and Brits nearly 3 centuries ago....now its muslims. Makes me wonder whats next.

Let em keep shouting...they make one wrong move and its time to go American on those bigots asses and Sue their pants off. That might prove them wrong about muslims not being American...
I RP With:MT(5 billion) and FT(25 Billion)[may change]
Factbook
Neo Arcad wrote:
Qatarab wrote:Where's my torch? Time to burn some courts down.

Oh, you crazy Muslim you!

Aglrinia
Minister

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Aglrinia » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:14 pm

Qatarab wrote:Americans feared Communists only a few decades ago,Japs and Nazis nearly half a century or more ago,Southerners nearly 2 centuries ago and Brits nearly 3 centuries ago....now its muslims. Makes me wonder whats next.

Let em keep shouting...they make one wrong move and its time to go American on those bigots asses and Sue their pants off. That might prove them wrong about muslims not being American...

Frankly I think they like having something to fear.
Jakker wrote:TBH is Pro-bring Life to GP

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General