NATION

PASSWORD

Climate doomism!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Art thou a climate doomer?

Yea, full doomer. We're all going to bake soon and there's nothing that can be done at this point, so screw everything.
3%
Yea, quasi doomer. We're going to face terrible times, and it's perfectly pointless trying to stop the climate change now.
5%
Yea, quasi doomer. We're going to face terrible times, but I still try to do my part even if it's useless.
32%
Nay, we can do it and we will. Never give up, never surrender!
29%
Nay, there's no such thing as climate change, screw you looser doomers!
7%
Nay, climate change is actually good because I like it when it's warm!
3%
Other ('splain)
5%
Mirth
1%
Option 9 from outer space
7%
Lunatic Goofballs for president
7%

Total votes : 157

The Reformed American Republic
Powerbroker

Founded: May 23, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby The Reformed American Republic » Mon May 23, 2022 12:33 pm

Knask wrote:We were on our way to be saved, as we would be going to Mars and established a colony there.

Unfortunately, the billionaires decided to focus on Twitter and postpone space exploration for a while.

Mars would be a dreadful existence anyway and assuming non-billionaires are allowed in the colonies, we would just be menial labor.
Last edited by The Reformed American Republic on Mon May 23, 2022 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It's called 'the American Dream' 'cause you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin
"My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
Older posts do not reflect my positions.

Holocene Extinction

Hukhalia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 31, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Hukhalia » Mon May 23, 2022 12:44 pm

The Reformed American Republic wrote:
Knask wrote:We were on our way to be saved, as we would be going to Mars and established a colony there.

Unfortunately, the billionaires decided to focus on Twitter and postpone space exploration for a while.

Mars would be a dreadful existence anyway and assuming non-billionaires are allowed in the colonies, we would just be menial labor.

wholesome indentured servitude
"It was this alone that drew so many Europeans to colonial North America: the dream in the settler mind of each man becoming a petty lord of his own land. Thus, the tradition of individualism and egalitarianism in America was rooted in the poisoned concept of equal privileges for a new nation of European conquerors." J. Sakai

an advocate of total warfare against heterosexual society, any/all

Haganham
Minister

Founded: Aug 17, 2021
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Haganham » Mon May 23, 2022 12:57 pm

Hukhalia wrote:
Haganham wrote:It's not that silly considering that some of the launch detections systems used are literally just radio transmitters transmitting a sequence of numbers to indicate that it is still in communication with nuclear command.

so which is it, scoob? was Y2K overblown bullshit or were launch detection systems actually prone to such an eventuality? you appear to have taken both stances

It's a schrödinger's apocalypse. You won't know if the world will end until you experience it.
Imagine reading a signature, but over the course of it the quality seems to deteriorate and it gets wose an wose, where the swenetence stwucture and gwammer rewerts to a pwoint of uttew non swence, an u jus dont wanna wead it anymwore (o´ω`o) awd twa wol owdewl iws jus awfwul (´・ω・`);. bwt tw sinawtur iwswnwt obwer nyet, it gwos own an own an own an own. uwu wanyaa stwop weadwing bwut uwu cwant stop wewding, uwu stwartd thwis awnd ur gwoing two fwinibsh it nowo mwattew wat! uwu hab mwoxie kwiddowo, bwut uwu wibl gwib ub sowon. i cwan wite wike dis fwor owors, swo dwont cwalengbe mii..

… wbats dis??? uwu awe stwill weedinb mwie sinatwr?? uwu habe awot ob detewemwinyanyatiom!! 。◕‿◕。! u habve comopweedid tha signwtr, good job!

Adamede
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 22, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Adamede » Mon May 23, 2022 1:38 pm

Sky Reavers wrote:Yes, climate changes. It changed in the past, and will change in the future, no matter if humans exist or not. For it always will. Ecosystems will be ruined, and new ones will appear in their place. Still... pollution could and should be reduced. As for humanity... Society won't collapse. We will adapt. Yes, some things will become tougher, but I think, that climate change may also bring some new opportunities.

So no, I am no doomer. Yes, there will be some problems, but not collapse-tier ones.

Yah thats a cop out. That climate change and extinctions happen naturally doesnt change the fact that the current spout of it wouldn't happen if not for humanity.

Hukhalia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 31, 2021
Ex-Nation

Postby Hukhalia » Mon May 23, 2022 2:02 pm

Haganham wrote:
Hukhalia wrote:so which is it, scoob? was Y2K overblown bullshit or were launch detection systems actually prone to such an eventuality? you appear to have taken both stances

It's a schrödinger's apocalypse. You won't know if the world will end until you experience it.

doesn't answer my question broski...
"It was this alone that drew so many Europeans to colonial North America: the dream in the settler mind of each man becoming a petty lord of his own land. Thus, the tradition of individualism and egalitarianism in America was rooted in the poisoned concept of equal privileges for a new nation of European conquerors." J. Sakai

an advocate of total warfare against heterosexual society, any/all

Free Algerstonia
Minister

Founded: Jan 16, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Algerstonia » Mon May 23, 2022 4:07 pm

climate change is a hoax, it was created by the same aliens that ruled everything in the ancient times and created the pyramids and those mysterious ruins in great britain that are now returning with the help of the military-industrial complex and the hague. aliens are using 5G as secretive mind control systems that gradually infiltrate the brains of good patriotic americans and turn them into slaves working for the new reptilian order. green energy contains this mind control wavelength too, in fact is is called green energy because aliens are green
Z

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Mon May 23, 2022 4:42 pm

Full doomer. We're all going to die and it can't come soon enough. If climate change doesn't wipe out the planet, then some other disaster will (nuclear apocalypse, act of God, etc.). In any case, we won't see past the year 2030, maybe 2025 if we're really lucky. Governments spending millions upon billions to try and "stop" the inevitable is a waste of time and resources, but that's what governments do best I suppose.

Send all "edgy lul" comments to my TGs please.
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Seangoli
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2006
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Seangoli » Mon May 23, 2022 6:12 pm

Adamede wrote:
Sky Reavers wrote:Yes, climate changes. It changed in the past, and will change in the future, no matter if humans exist or not. For it always will. Ecosystems will be ruined, and new ones will appear in their place. Still... pollution could and should be reduced. As for humanity... Society won't collapse. We will adapt. Yes, some things will become tougher, but I think, that climate change may also bring some new opportunities.

So no, I am no doomer. Yes, there will be some problems, but not collapse-tier ones.

Yah thats a cop out. That climate change and extinctions happen naturally doesnt change the fact that the current spout of it wouldn't happen if not for humanity.

Note, there are many reasons why climate changes, and "natural" climate change does not begin to explain the various reasons why it has. There is nothing at all saying anthropocentric climate change is any less possible that volcanic climate change, atmospheric climate change as during the Great Dying, ebbs and flows of orbital cycles, am asteroid, etc.

While it's true that life has a fantastic way of surviving dramatic climate shifts, and I have no doubt life in general will thrive in changing climates, to argue that society can adapt is fallacious. Many societies collapsed from climate change in the past, often times due to anthropocentric activities (the fall of the Classic era Mayans likely had a lot to do with the I'll effects of deforestation that was entirely the cause of humans).

The problem with "societies" is that they are not adaptive, at least not until it is far too late to adapt effectively. Ratherz they are rigid and stubborn in their ways, trying to continuously do what worked in the past as the world collapses around them in hopes that things will change. One only needs to see the American Southwest right now to see this on a micro-level. People are stubbornly watering their lawns, farms stubbornly irrigating their fields, and all in a region that simply cannot support this activity at all. Lake Mead is drying up, and would need to enter a multi-decade wet period to refill to it's height in the 50s and 60s, however the patience and for thought of the residents of the area is short.

The same happens elsewhere. We should be looking intoore sustainable, long term solutions to energy, however coal and gas bring money and jobs. This doesn't just extend to climate change for these resources, but even further towards meeting our energy needs in a decade, two decades, etc. We are quickly approaching both a climate *and* energy crisis, and the solution to both is effectively the same thing, yet people cling to the past. It's a looming disaster, played in slow motion, and any adaptation will likely come too little too late for many.

Bear Stearns
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 02, 2018
Capitalizt

Postby Bear Stearns » Mon May 23, 2022 6:13 pm

see you guys next week
The Bear Stearns Companies, Inc. is a New York-based global investment bank, securities trading and brokerage firm. Its main business areas are capital markets, investment banking, wealth management and global clearing services. Bear Stearns was founded as an equity trading house on May Day 1923 by Joseph Ainslie Bear, Robert B. Stearns and Harold C. Mayer with $500,000 in capital.
383 Madison Ave,
New York, NY 10017
Vince Vaughn

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Mon May 23, 2022 6:22 pm

Risottia wrote:https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-61495035

tl:dr; "climate doomism" is the feeling that we've ALREADY run out of time to prevent disastrous global warming from happening, and that humanity is "doomed" to extinction because of it. Sort of the extreme opposite to climate-change denial. The article's author collected the opinions of some climatologists who insist that it isn't too late to act; speaking as a layman about climatology, though, I too feel that we're well past the point of no return, mostly because governments and corporations aren't going to do enough about it. I don't think we as species are doomed to extinction because of it, but I think we're going to see a lot more wars for resources and territory, coupled with mass famines and mass migration of impoverished people - which will trigger further nationalistic response etc etc. So, I don't think I qualify as a full "doomer", but as a "quasi-doomer" nevertheless. I still try to reduce my impact on the planet, but I know perfectly it's totally useless, as my behaviour isn't going to change the world anyway.

Are you a doomer, too? Are you optimistic? Are you a fellow "quasi-doomer"?

We have.

The cutoff date for the point of no return was June 2019.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Mon May 23, 2022 6:28 pm

I personally don't see any solution for environmental destruction that won't be undermined by capitalism, but it's still worth it to do stuff. The world isn't destroyed yet, we're still here, and we can still change things if we try.

The environment is screwed to an extent, but it's not over.
Last edited by Alcala-Cordel on Mon May 23, 2022 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FROM THE RIVER TO THE SEA

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Mon May 23, 2022 6:30 pm

Alcala-Cordel wrote:I personally don't see any solution for environmental destruction that won't be undermined by capitalism, but it's still worth it to do stuff. The world isn't destroyed yet, we're still here, and we can still change things if we try.

Industrial scale carbon and methane absorbers, tree planting initiatives, releasing that bacteria that eats plastic and perfecting plastic catching nets...

Oh wait, you said not undermined by capitalism? Never mind, we're screwed.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Alcala-Cordel
Senator

Founded: Dec 16, 2019
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Alcala-Cordel » Mon May 23, 2022 6:41 pm

New haven america wrote:
Alcala-Cordel wrote:I personally don't see any solution for environmental destruction that won't be undermined by capitalism, but it's still worth it to do stuff. The world isn't destroyed yet, we're still here, and we can still change things if we try.

Industrial scale carbon and methane absorbers, tree planting initiatives, releasing that bacteria that eats plastic and perfecting plastic catching nets...

Pretty much, if we keep going in the direction we're going we are absolutely screwed.
FROM THE RIVER TO THE SEA

Space Squid
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 04, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Space Squid » Mon May 23, 2022 6:56 pm

Alcala-Cordel wrote:
New haven america wrote:Industrial scale carbon and methane absorbers, tree planting initiatives, releasing that bacteria that eats plastic and perfecting plastic catching nets...

Pretty much, if we keep going in the direction we're going we are absolutely screwed.

Oh, I suspect humanity will find a way out of this.

But it's going to be the global equivalent of writing your term paper at 4 AM in a caffeine fueled frenzy, and then getting a D-.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡠⠔⠒⠒⠠⠄⢠
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣁⠴⠛⠋⠀⠀⡎
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⠔⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⡎⠰⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⠜⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡼⠒⠁⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⢀⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣶⡓⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⠜⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⢠⣪⠖⠒⢮⣢⠀⠀⠀⠀⡠⢊⢕⣢⡌⢦⠀⢤⣠⠔⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⢳⣴⠷⠃⠔⣒⠚⠇⡢⠠⠤⠺⠃⠘⢞⣋⠅⢠⠧⠊⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⡀⠀⣔⣕⣁⣤⣬⢦⣤⣭⠤⢂⡀⠀⣀⡀⠔⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠉⢋⡿⢛⣭⣴⣶⡿⢉⣤⣴⣿⠀⠁⡇⠀⢀⠠⠤⠀⠤⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⣮⠁⣾⠟⠉⠀⢰⡘⡿⠁⣿⣄⠣⡍⠉⠔⠊⠉⠉⢱⡼⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠿⠀⢹⠀⢀⣼⠟⠉⢊⠆⠻⣿⢓⠪⠥⡂⢄⠀⠀⢗⢅⣀⣀⡀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠘⡹⡉⠀⢸⣟⠀⢀⢜⠆⠀⠹⣻⢦⡀⠈⡄⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠁⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠈⠺⢄⠀⠹⡆⠻⠁⠀⢀⡴⡹⠀⠻⣄⣽⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢱⣜⣦⠀⠀⠀⢠⡗⠉⠀⠀⠀⢩⡌⠙⢳⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⢽⣿⠀⠀⠀⠈⠓⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠫⣛⡄⠀⢀⢴⣾⣗⡶⢠⡴⠗⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠀⠈⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

Hamidiye
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Hamidiye » Mon May 23, 2022 7:09 pm

[x] [other]

Fatalism is the key to happiness. Hooray, we're all gonna die! :rofl:
Cives, floreat Europa
Opus magnum vocat vos
Stellae signa sunt in caelo
Aureae, quae iungant nos
-ПТН--ХЛО-
☪ 1881 - 193∞!
Pro: Social Authoritarianism, Kemalism, Militarism. Contra: liberalism, capitalism, communism, progressivism, religion

[ kebab intensifies ]
factbook link

Fractalnavel
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 04, 2005
Anarchy

Postby Fractalnavel » Mon May 23, 2022 7:39 pm

And it's
One,
Two,
Three
What are we fighting for?
Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,
Next stop is Vietnam.
And it's
Five,
Six,
Seven,
Open up the pearly gates,
Well there ain't no time to wonder why,
Whoopee! we're all gonna die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHy9ohqAU38

Republic Of Ludwigsburg
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 26, 2021
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Republic Of Ludwigsburg » Mon May 23, 2022 8:59 pm

Do y'all WANT to die? Cuz I'm getting some feelings like that from some of you.
Pro: Social Democracy, EU, LGBTQ+ Rights, Labour Party, Ukraine
Anti: Fascism, State Capitalism, Stalinism, Tankies supporting Russia, Nazism
bumbling fool
Politiscales: this
South German Times: Friedrich Schonbrunn diagnosed with Stage 1 Head and Neck Cancer, Gottfried Hallemark to immediately succeed. GDR President Alfred Wolff in grave controversy after calling rival candidate Jakob Silberstein a "schwein" during debate. Joe Biden to host NATO meeting in New York regarding aid to Ukraine. Alpine mountaineer Valentina Giatte successfully summits Mt. Everest. Former Kanzler Johan Schauff to create new hot beverage company, "Schauffee". SPECIAL: The Curious Case of James Friedenwahl: To find out more, log on to timessgermany.eu

Torisakia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Torisakia » Mon May 23, 2022 9:03 pm

Republic Of Ludwigsburg wrote:Do y'all WANT to die? Cuz I'm getting some feelings like that from some of you.

Yes. Literally yes. What is there to live for besides seeing the rapid deterioration of the world around us? We all end up in the same place anyway, so why bother fighting a losing battle?
You ever woke up one morning and just decided it wasn't one of those days and you were gonna break some stuff?
President: Doug McDowell
Population: 227 million
Tech: MT-PMT
I don't use most NS stats
Ideology: Democracy Manifest
Pro: truth
Anti: bullshit

Latest Headlines
[TNN] A cargo ship belonging to Torisakia disappeared off the coast of Kostane late Wednesday evening. TBI suspects foul play. || Congress passes a T$10 billion aid package for the Democratic Populist rebels in Kostane. To include firearms, vehicles, and artillery.

Pupax Portiis
Civil Servant

Founded: May 21, 2022
Ex-Nation

Postby Pupax Portiis » Mon May 23, 2022 9:07 pm

I mean, we could set up more nuclear power capacity -- like, replace all our coal with it, and use that cheap power to sequester carbonic acid from the oceans and try to clean up the microplastics and lead, as well. We won't, but it's a nice thought. My personal philisophy on all this is to enjoy the next 15 or so years as much as I can while they're still in front of me, because it's all going downhill from then on.
The Region of Xunx -- The Xitasi Rebellion
These Rebellion guys sure seem like good people, I'm sure none of them are going to use questionable tactics. | Probably should make clear I don't like empires, I just wanted a new spin on an old classic. | Medieval fantasy is totally not played out or anything.

Witty unattributed quote I'm using to pretend I'm more intelligent than I really am.

Kerwa
Minister

Founded: Jul 24, 2021
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Kerwa » Mon May 23, 2022 9:11 pm

Fractalnavel wrote:
And it's
One,
Two,
Three
What are we fighting for?
Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,
Next stop is Vietnam.
And it's
Five,
Six,
Seven,
Open up the pearly gates,
Well there ain't no time to wonder why,
Whoopee! we're all gonna die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHy9ohqAU38

That entire festival ought to have been napalmed. The world would be a better place today.

The Union of British North America
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of British North America » Mon May 23, 2022 9:14 pm

All you need is carbon taxes and nuclear power.
An alt-America that had a grand bargain struck with London in the 1760s and remained under the British Crown (Turtledove's "The Two Georges"), mixed with some of Sobel's "For Want of a Nail" and a lot of the anthology "Columbia and Britannia," the sci-fi NZ novel "Anno Domini 2000 or Woman's Destiny", and cameos of other alternate histories. “The Rock of the Britannic Commonwealth,” an alliance of Britannic and former colonies as partner-nations in personal union and/or in association.

Tech level: MT+
NS stats: mostly policies
IC/RP name: North American Union (NAU).
IC/RP main supranational IGO: United Britannic Commonwealth of Nations.
NSverse organization member/agreement signatory: CAPINTERN, IFTC, ICDN, ECO, IBA, Amistad.

Glengo Island
Attaché

Founded: Feb 06, 2015
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Glengo Island » Mon May 23, 2022 9:39 pm

I used to be suicidal. I recognise the fatalism as what tried to kill me. Congratulations on that self-fulfilling prophecy of yours, you must be so smart to have predicted that if nothing happens, nothing happens. Good job!

Pessimism is an easy way to shock-absorb disappointment, but spiteful optimism is a powerful force in activism and governance if defeat makes you pissed instead of pessed. At this point, things will get real uncomfy, but opportunity to save it from going right up the ass (negatively) is so ample you'd have to willingly ignore it. Also, this is handily at the feet of a few people with the vast majority of the global population being innocent. Don't throw the 8 billion babies out with the bath water. (also, don't waste water)

Meanwhile, urbanism is growing rapidly as a political idea. Cars are starting to lose out worldwide, which is fucking huge. Capitalism appears to be on a defensive with the way public opinion is going. Hell, Russia's war is making Europe push for less fossil fuel reliance at record speed in a continent that is already incredibly green. Even with Africa's economies developing, many networks can skip over many pollutants entirely in modernising. The worst country in the world, Australia, may begin to pay attention to the damage it sponsors finally. The Stateside social movement, which is massive, is essentially married to green activism.

My personal sticky issue is nuclear power, which is efficient in all but being built (and mining for uranium) while other renewables are extremely flexible and if decentralised work beautifully. My perspective is heavily Southern Californian, where the sun is always available, winds are seasonally strong and there's nowhere to build a nuclear facility that won't get destroyed in the earthquakes that will happen or the fires that also will happen. Even I, a car liker man, will gladly take a long car (bus), wild chugger (train), or lil beepbeep metro (tram).

Maybe even collapse is something to look forward to, if the way things stubbornly go gets duplexed to hell. I find the 2040 estimate way too absolute. At this rate, any collapse that is coming will be partial and only affect certain sectors which will probably be the spots already causing problems. The pandemic is what I would consider a partial collapse, and the cultural impact of the good that happened for the climate and the massive cuts in emissions during pieces of it won't be forgotten. It's tough and there will be sacrifices, but why not put a guilty economic system on the chopping block for once instead of, say, all of humanity?

I had to personally save my life, and I'll be absolutely fucked if I'll just close my eyes and roll over to let something take it from me or anyone else again. Kick misanthropy in the stomach repeatedly!
What if some ancient Filipina got really, really religious about the ocean?
What if there was a sizeable island between Taiwan and Luzon?
What if both of these generated bizarre and frankly random butterfly effects?

All of these and more are revealed on Glengo Island... ~+~~+~~+~

Jabberwocky
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 02, 2017
Democratic Socialists

Postby Jabberwocky » Mon May 23, 2022 9:46 pm

Between ice ages are those pesky periods of warming. That's what is happening now, but exacerbated by humans. Fear not. In a few more million years you'll be complaining about how cold it is.
'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gambol in the wabe.
All mimsy were the borogoves
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Chan Island
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 26, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Chan Island » Mon May 23, 2022 10:35 pm

One point I definitely differ from typical doomer mentality is that I see climate action as still meaningful. Will it solve anything? Probably not.

But even mere delay of something so catastrophic as climate change is inherently worth doing. Every extra day the catastrophe is delayed is one of peace, love and ingenuity as precious as all the worlds treasures. Not to mention one where a more permanent fix may be found.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=513597&p=39401766#p39401766
Conserative Morality wrote:"It's not time yet" is a tactic used by reactionaries in every era. "It's not time for democracy, it's not time for capitalism, it's not time for emancipation." Of course it's not time. It's never time, not on its own. You make it time. If you're under fire in the no-man's land of WW1, you start digging a foxhole even if the ideal time would be when you *aren't* being bombarded, because once you wait for it to be 'time', other situations will need your attention, assuming you survive that long. If the fields aren't furrowed, plow them. If the iron is not hot, make it so. If society is not ready, change it.

Risottia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 05, 2006
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Risottia » Mon May 23, 2022 11:49 pm

Exactly, how would a colony on Mars "save" some 8 billions of humans on Earth?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General