NATION

PASSWORD

Texan secession

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should Texas become independent assuming the movement gained popular support?

Yes
41%
No
47%
Maybe
3%
It should gain more independence but not secede
7%
Other (elaborate)
3%

Total votes : 224

Zathganastan
Senator

Founded: Aug 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Zathganastan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:55 pm

Hungaristan wrote:
Zathganastan wrote:
The Case of Texas vs White actually did rule that secession isn't legal in the state of Texas.So any attempt at secession would still be seen an illegal movement or an act of treason by the state.

Size doesn't compare to having influence all over the world, oh and being a super power doesn't hurt either.

Actually you are wrong, Texas v. White did not prove that.
On February 1, 1861 the Texas secession convention drafted and approved an Ordinance of Secession. This ordinance was subsequently approved by both the state legislature and a statewide referendum. On January 11, 1862 the state legislature approved the creation of a Military Board to address issues involved in the transition in the shift in loyalty from the United States to the Confederate States.[3]
Its illegal. Unless you do it legally

For that to be true the Texas secession convention would have had to have federal approval which it did not, Making any documents drawn up at the time null and void in the United States.Just as any governing documents drawn up by the confederacy was rendered null and void as the confederacy was not a legit government.
Evelyn Beatrice Hall:I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it
Shakespeare:All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;And one man in his time plays many parts
The Allied states Military, zathganastans pride and Joy:
Army: 35,000,000 armed forces
Navy: 18,000 ships
Air force: 10,000,000 air force personal
and National Marines: 8,000,000 marines
Zathgan speical forces:2,500,000 speical forces

Socialdemokraterne
Minister

Founded: Dec 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Socialdemokraterne » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:55 pm

Zannania wrote:I am not a snob, nor am I a backwater hick. I do believe that Texas is the best goddamned place on the planet, and I'd love nothing more than to see it thrive like never before.

That doesn't make you a snob or a backwater hick, just a Texan nationalist.

The Republic of Texas would be a new bastion of democracy amidst a rising tide of neo-fascist anti-capitalism.

Neo-fascist anti-capitalism? What are you on about?

If you read my sig, you'll see that I'm a gay liberal.

I think you'll find that I don't care what your sexual orientation is, though I wonder if you mean "liberal" in the US or European sense of the term.

If we do secede, Texas would have to go through a legal channel. We'd hold a referendum, draw up a contract in regards to federal troops/land, and draw up a new Constitution that ensures personal freedoms as well as upholds traditional republican democracy, then I see no reason for the United States to attack us. If they did, then they'd be seen as the aggressor.

There is no legal avenue for a state's secession. You'd have to formally amend the Constitution to bear one or somehow purchase the state from the Union.

Why must it immediately lead to bloodshed? Secession has become something of a dirty word, and people automatically think "war". Secession can be peaceful, if both sides are willing to accept the legal channels offered them.

It doesn't, but if you don't first create an avenue for secession from this federation then said federation has every legal right to drag you back kicking and screaming. Do that first or your hopes for a peaceful secession are doomed.

Granted, Texas would need help from a third party, be it the UN, another nation, or a bipartisan committee, in order to ensure the United States keeps true to its word.

Most likely the Union just won't agree to let you go.
A social democracy following a variant of the Nordic model of the European welfare state composed of a union of Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Greenland, Denmark, Sleswig-Holstein, and a bit of Estonia.

Leder du måske efter en dansk region? Dansk!

Irentian
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Irentian » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:55 pm

Frankly, I have heard of a lot of talk about people leaving the nation, yet it's mostly because people think the government has failed, and the economy is crashing, and the hill billies are being given cars, but when the economy is fixed, the government stops being lazy, and a good Samaritan burns all the hill billies vehicles. No more talk of seceding. So, I ask you. Will you join us in burning the hill billies trucks, or do we have to Molotov those bitches?
Last edited by Irentian on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War is what changes the world. Yet, the world tries to change war. So,I ask you, where is the war that will change us?

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:55 pm

Agymnum wrote:
Hungaristan wrote:
Get a better job. now you have 116k per year and so much steak to eat, plus extra cash to invest or save.

Nah, how about Texas just stay with us.

I'll come down and help the troops if they want. Been a while since I've been to the range (pretty far from where I live in Cali), but a bit of brush-up shouldn't take too long.

I want my steaks!

If Texas secedes, there would only be 20 guys all holed up in a shack somewhere in Waco. The rest would have emigrated.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Death Metal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Death Metal » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:56 pm

If Texas secedes, the third season of Repo Games won't be as funny.
Only here when I'm VERY VERY VERY bored now.
(Trump is Reagan 2.0: A nationalistic bimbo who will ruin America.)
Death Metal: A nation founded on the most powerful force in the world: METAL! \m/
A non-idealist centre-leftist

Alts: Ronpaulatia, Bisonopolis, Iga, Gygaxia, The Children of Skyrim, Tinfoil Fedoras

Pro: Civil Equality, Scaled Income Taxes, Centralized Govtt, Moderate Business Regulations, Heavy Metal
Con: Censorship in any medium, Sales Tax, Flat Tax, Small Govt, Overly Large Govt, Laissez Faire, AutoTuner.

I support Obama. And so would FA Hayek.

34 arguments Libertarians (and sometimes AnCaps) make, and why they are wrong.

Hungaristan
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hungaristan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:57 pm

New Sapienta wrote:
Hungaristan wrote:
I have to disagree with you on that, because his argument seems logical wheras you sound like a devout christian telling an Atheist he is wrong.

W....hat?

By using "pathetically bankrupt" and "useless territories," you seem to be saying Texas is a pathetic pile of shit, when it isn't.
This is how most Christians argue. I'd know, I am one
"Do not fear death so much, but rather the inadequate life." Bertolt Brecht

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:57 pm

Zannania wrote:
New Sapienta wrote:It was pathetically bankrupt. It was oiganally almost twice the size the state is today, but they sold thier useless territories to make money. There was a land feud between major land owners that required milita intervention for goodness's sake.

Like I said, a temporary arrangement until they joined the Union. To point at an instance from the 1840's as a reason to discredit a secession movement taking place in a different world under different circumstances is foolish.

Yes, they were strapped for cash. Yes, there was some internal disagreements. Business also flocked to the state and people left in droves to get here. Hence GTT.

Also, learn basic geography. A sliver of land reaching into Colorado and a bit off the panhandle does not constitute "twice the size of the current state".

The founding of America took several militia interventions, if I'm not mistaken. See "Whiskey Rebellion".

If it's foolish why continue the conversation?

Yes I believe Texaas isn't comparable to the 1840's . It would still sdsuffer terribly though, most people would prefer dealing wiith the US than the theocratic hellhole Texas would become.

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:58 pm

Hungaristan wrote:
New Sapienta wrote:W....hat?

By using "pathetically bankrupt" and "useless territories," you seem to be saying Texas is a pathetic pile of shit, when it isn't.

It wasn't, but it was pretty bad.

And last time I checked both Athiests and Christians argue like that.

Zeyad
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeyad » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:58 pm

Zannania wrote:The founding of America took several militia interventions, if I'm not mistaken. See "Whiskey Rebellion".

You say that like it vindicates Texas. The USA was a weak state on shaky foundations, so decentralized it was about ready to shake itself to pieces in the equivalent of a sneeze. The reason why it took the French so long to send us some aid against the British in the War of 1812 was because [u]no one[u] that America was going to persist. Most had credible reason to believe that the states would separate into their own countries, or fall into pieces and come limping back to Great Britain. It didn't because the states got strangled, kicking and screaming into centralization by a bunch of intelligent oligarchs we can the Founding Fathers.

Texas -could- last as a Republic at the time, but absolutely no one would have any reason to suspect that it would relevant to the world at large if it did-- poor and weak and relatively.
KonataLand wrote:
Tergnitz wrote:OMG! The new Rebecca black song is almost as good as the death of Osama!

Seven in mornin', gotta get outta bed.
OSHITITSAMERICA *Shot in the head*

Tubbsalot wrote:
Folder Land wrote:In my opinion

And therein lies the problem, because your opinion is wrong.

Cannot think of a name wrote:You ever see a guy walking down the street, just swingin' his arms and yelling and you think, 'Man, is that guy getting swarmed by flies?' but you get up close to him and he's not. And you want to help out and go, 'Hey man, flies are pretty annoying and all, but...I don't see any flies,' but you know you're just as likely to take an elbow to your eyebone so you just keep walking?

Hungaristan
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hungaristan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:59 pm

Irentian wrote:Frankly, I have heard of a lot of talk about people leaving the nation, yet it's mostly because people think the government has failed, and the economy is crashing, and the hill billies are being given cars, but when the economy is fixed, the government stops being lazy, and a good Samaritan burns all the hill billies vehicles. No more talk of seceding. So, I ask you. Will you join us in burning the hill billies trucks, or do we have to Molotov those bitches?

I'll be watching when you find out why that hillbilly had to get government help to get his truck. Because he spent all his money on guns.

Lincoltshire
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lincoltshire » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:00 pm

Luritania wrote:
Sovietta wrote:Well, if the Texan people really want Texas to become its own country, then i'd say yes.

I would be willing to join the army, go to Texas, and fight them in open combat to preserve the union. That is how much I disagree.

Agreed. A house divided cannot stand.
Just your friendly neighborhood Spierpony!

Irentian
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Irentian » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:01 pm

Hungaristan wrote:
Irentian wrote:Frankly, I have heard of a lot of talk about people leaving the nation, yet it's mostly because people think the government has failed, and the economy is crashing, and the hill billies are being given cars, but when the economy is fixed, the government stops being lazy, and a good Samaritan burns all the hill billies vehicles. No more talk of seceding. So, I ask you. Will you join us in burning the hill billies trucks, or do we have to Molotov those bitches?

I'll be watching when you find out why that hillbilly had to get government help to get his truck. Because he spent all his money on guns.

He used all his bullets on his tree when he was drunk on whiskey.
War is what changes the world. Yet, the world tries to change war. So,I ask you, where is the war that will change us?

Hungaristan
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hungaristan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:01 pm

New Sapienta wrote:
Hungaristan wrote:

It wasn't, but it was pretty bad.

No, Atheists simply say, "Prove it"
Christians present a book
Atheists Laugh.
But that's irrelevant, idk why I used that metaphor

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:02 pm

Hungaristan wrote:
New Sapienta wrote:It wasn't, but it was pretty bad.

No, Atheists simply say, "Prove it"
Atheists Laugh.

Let's just move on then.

Hungaristan
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hungaristan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:02 pm

Irentian wrote:
Hungaristan wrote:

He wouldn't be drunk, he's a moonshiner, and moonshiners can't afford to lose any of their product from drinking it.

Hungaristan
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hungaristan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:03 pm

New Sapienta wrote:
Hungaristan wrote:No, Atheists simply say, "Prove it"
Atheists Laugh.

Let's just move on then.

No! You are going to Hell you sinner! Die! XD
ok moving on

Agymnum
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 31, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Agymnum » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:05 pm

Honestly, if Texas wants to secede all they have to do is promise they'll give us all the federal highways/roads and the federal buildings we own.

So like, if they could just tear those up and deliver them to us on like trucks or something, I'd be happy. At least then they wouldn't be benefiting from our infrastructure.
Last edited by Agymnum on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glorious puppet of Highfort

Hungaristan
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hungaristan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:05 pm

What if instead all the Texans immigrated to another country?
and nobody wanted to move there? what would you do then? force them to come back to Texas?

Irentian
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Irentian » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:06 pm

Lincoltshire wrote:
Luritania wrote:I would be willing to join the army, go to Texas, and fight them in open combat to preserve the union. That is how much I disagree.

Agreed. A house divided cannot stand.

We'd be fucked. Sure, powerful country, great and lovable people(I'm trying to make myself feel better), and nice cars(Now i'm bullshitting). We wouldn't survive. You know how much our enemies would gain helping Texas? One, China could reclaim taiwan, Two, we'd be weaker, taking out military aid in middle east in some areas, three, countries like pakistan can finally attack Israel, Four, what enemy of ours doesn't want us weaker? We trying to add puerto rico to the states, and it seems the next time the senate votes for it, they will agree. Why the fuck would our enemies not take the chance to weaken america, and prevent us from gaining more states?

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:06 pm

Agymnum wrote:Honestly, if Texas wants to secede all they have to do is promise they'll give us all the federal highways/roads and the federal buildings we own.

So like, if they could just tear those up and deliver them to us on like trucks or something, I'd be happy. At least then they wouldn't be benefiting from our infrastructure

And buildings. And military bases. And any subsidies we may have given them.

Zathganastan
Senator

Founded: Aug 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Zathganastan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:06 pm

Hungaristan wrote:What if instead all the Texans immigrated to another country?
and nobody wanted to move there? what would you do then? force them to come back to Texas?

Immigration to foreign lands isn't illegal, attempting to take the state with you however is.
Evelyn Beatrice Hall:I may disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it
Shakespeare:All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players:
They have their exits and their entrances;And one man in his time plays many parts
The Allied states Military, zathganastans pride and Joy:
Army: 35,000,000 armed forces
Navy: 18,000 ships
Air force: 10,000,000 air force personal
and National Marines: 8,000,000 marines
Zathgan speical forces:2,500,000 speical forces

Neu California
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Neu California » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:06 pm

The odds of this happening are so remote, that it's barely worth considering
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little"-FDR
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist"-Dom Helder Camara
"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression"-Unknown
He/him
Aspie and proud
I'm a weak agnostic without atheistic or theistic leanings.
Endless sucker for romantic lesbian stuff

"During my research I interviewed a guy who said he was a libertarian until he did MDMA and realized that other people have feelings, and that was pretty much the best summary of libertarianism I've ever heard"

Hungaristan
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hungaristan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:07 pm

Zathganastan wrote:
Hungaristan wrote:Actually you are wrong, Texas v. White did not prove that.
On February 1, 1861 the Texas secession convention drafted and approved an Ordinance of Secession. This ordinance was subsequently approved by both the state legislature and a statewide referendum. On January 11, 1862 the state legislature approved the creation of a Military Board to address issues involved in the transition in the shift in loyalty from the United States to the Confederate States.[3]
Its illegal. Unless you do it legally

For that to be true the Texas secession convention would have had to have federal approval which it did not, Making any documents drawn up at the time null and void in the United States.Just as any governing documents drawn up by the confederacy was rendered null and void as the confederacy was not a legit government.

Welcome to America *man locks door and two armed guards point gun at you* Now stay here like a good state and don't secede. You are one of us now.

Irentian
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Irentian » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:08 pm

Hungaristan wrote:
Irentian wrote:

He wouldn't be drunk, he's a moonshiner, and moonshiners can't afford to lose any of their product from drinking it.

Gives me more reason to burn his truck. Moonshine is illegal, and i'll burn those hillbillies for it. :twisted:

Hungaristan
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Hungaristan » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:08 pm

Neu California wrote:

The odds of this happening are so remote, that it's barely worth considering

Same as Texan succession but we are on this topic aren't we?
Furthermore it is highly unlikely that Texas will secede, so why prevent it?
Last edited by Hungaristan on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General