NATION

PASSWORD

Where Does Morality Come From?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Where does morality come from?

Cost-Benefit Analysis
11%
The Sanctity of Humanity
6%
God, the Spirit of Life, or Deities of some sort
9%
One's Various Communities
15%
The World Community as a Whole
8%
Biological Instincts
15%
Empathy for Others
16%
[insert complex scientific explanation here]
10%
There is No Morality
6%
Meh, who cares?
5%

Total votes : 410

Der Landstreicher
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Der Landstreicher » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:25 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
Patriot Liberal wrote:
I've recently been in a lot of discussions about where morality comes from with a group of my peers. A few say it definitely comes from God, whereas most of us are debating about whether it comes from society or some scientific instinct hidden in our minds from birth.

So, NSG, I ask you, where do you believe morality comes from?

I personally think it just comes down to a sense of empathy. I don't like pain, because it feels bad. I know that other people feel that way. Thus, I don't want to cause other people pain just to do it, because I care about other people and don't wish that on them.

But, there are some more interesting opinions than my quick four sentence opinion.

So here's some other ones.

http://logical-critical-thinking.com/hu ... come-from/

http://mbogart.com/where-does-morality-come-from/

http://www.allaboutphilosophy.org/cultu ... tivism.htm

instincts, empathy, culture, the shape of the brain, all of the above actually.

I recommend the book the science of good and evil, it is one long scientific discourse on morality and especially universals in morality.

it is also a very easy read, Shermer has a very inviting writing style.

full title
The Science of Good and Evil: Why People Cheat, Gossip, Care, Share, and Follow the Golden Rule.

ISBN 0-8050-7520-8

That's more of a evolutionary psychology book.
Just because people act a certain way doesn't mean that's morality, morality makes certain claims, claims that are irrelevant to how people act. So instead you should focus more on the title, because that is less misleading than what you said.
Wasting time here since 2010

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:32 pm

Patriot Liberal wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:morality comes from the cultural consensus of the people living in the society in question.

Do you think that applies to all morality?

yes

it can change based on a compelling argument by a dynamic personality but it still ends up as the consensus of each particular society.

thats why honor killings are commonplace in certain islamic countries but are horrifying to most western christians.
whatever

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:34 pm

Der Landstreicher wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:
instincts, empathy, culture, the shape of the brain, all of the above actually.

I recommend the book the science of good and evil, it is one long scientific discourse on morality and especially universals in morality.

it is also a very easy read, Shermer has a very inviting writing style.

full title
The Science of Good and Evil: Why People Cheat, Gossip, Care, Share, and Follow the Golden Rule.

ISBN 0-8050-7520-8

That's more of a evolutionary psychology book.

what field of science do you think would apply to human behavior?

Just because people act a certain way doesn't mean that's morality, morality makes certain claims, claims that are irrelevant to how people act.

no that is called ethics.

morality is acting as if actions are good are bad, it is a construct. the book explains why the construct exists and in what form it exists.

vampire bats have morals
vampire bats do not have ethics.

So instead you should focus more on the title, because that is less misleading than what you said.

the tittle was about half of what I said.
Last edited by Sociobiology on Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:37 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Patriot Liberal wrote:
Do you think that applies to all morality?

yes

it can change based on a compelling argument by a dynamic personality but it still ends up as the consensus of each particular society.

thats why honor killings are commonplace in certain islamic countries but are horrifying to most western christians.

most may be stretching it.

and just because an instinct can be overridden does not mean it does not exist.
Unless you think humans do not have a pain avoidance instinct.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Der Landstreicher
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Landstreicher » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:56 pm

Sociobiology wrote:what field of science do you think would apply to human behavior?

I don't know? :eyebrow:

Sociobiology wrote:morality is acting as if actions are good are bad, it is a construct. the book explains why the construct exists and in what form it exists.

vampire bats have morals

No, morality has little to with "acting" it's a matter of making judgements (in other words "claims).
Moral systems make claims about what one "should" or "should not" do, or alternatively what actions are "good" or "bad."

Ethics is the study of morality, and the philosophical basis for such.

Sociobiology wrote:the tittle was about half of what I said.

"Why People Cheat, Gossip, Care, Share, and Follow the Golden Rule."

This is more accurate, however it doesn't give arguments for why these things are either "right" or "wrong" it gives a scientific answer to why a majority of people have those beliefs.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:48 pm

Der Landstreicher wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:what field of science do you think would apply to human behavior?

I don't know? :eyebrow:

sarcasm, look it up.

Sociobiology wrote:morality is acting as if actions are good are bad, it is a construct. the book explains why the construct exists and in what form it exists.

vampire bats have morals

No, morality has little to with "acting" it's a matter of making judgements

judgments are behavioral actions.

(in other words "claims).
Moral systems make claims about what one "should" or "should not" do, or alternatively what actions are "good" or "bad."

Ethics is the study of morality, and the philosophical basis for such.

no good just means that which we act favorably towards.
good or bad is like disgust or pleasant, it is an emotional tag, not an inherent characteristic of the action.

you really should read the book it would help you with this.

Sociobiology wrote:the tittle was about half of what I said.

"Why People Cheat, Gossip, Care, Share, and Follow the Golden Rule."

This is more accurate, however it doesn't give arguments for why these things are either "right" or "wrong" it gives a scientific answer to why a majority of people have those beliefs.

no those things are right or wrong only to the extent we behave as if they are, good and bad ONLY exist to the extent humans behave as if they do.

nothing is right or wrong objectively only subjectively as a human with said instincts or beliefs.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:51 pm

LogiChristianity wrote:Everyone knows that killing is wrong, but nobody knows why they know it. Because it comes from God.

Right, people have never been killed. Time to pack up guys!
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

LogiChristianity
Envoy

Founded: Aug 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby LogiChristianity » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:52 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
LogiChristianity wrote:Everyone knows that killing is wrong, but nobody knows why they know it. Because it comes from God.

Okay, everyone knows that senseless murder is wrong, but nobody knows why they know it. Because it comes from God.
Get it? Logic + Christianity = Logichristianity = Jesus = Salvation = Heaven = God = Oneness.

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:53 pm

Volnotova wrote:
Samuraikoku wrote:Your own head.

The very fact you would state that implies that morality would not exist if it were not seen, which defeats the entire purpose of inherent human rights and the like right?

I mean, obviously, if you imply that there exists something as fundemental as moral rights, claims(that are actually valid) and virtues but then state they only exist because you see them I would start questioning such a statement's validity. ;)

Mathematics is no less invented than systems of morality. Are you going to reject math too?
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:53 pm

LogiChristianity wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:

Okay, everyone knows that senseless murder is wrong, but nobody knows why they know it. Because it comes from God.

Right, people have never been senselessly murdered! Time to pack it up guys! Fire all of the police! Murder doesn't exist!
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

The Daktanese Technocracy
Diplomat

Founded: May 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Daktanese Technocracy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:58 pm

LogiChristianity wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:

Yes, we know why we know it.

Evolution. Look it up. Bad to kill your own a bunch.
"I remember the first time I died. Facing down my foe was to be expected. Even inevitable. Resurrected, my soul awoke and my battles were fought harder. Death became my friend. I remember the first time I died. But dying gets easier; it's how you die that leaves your mark. Prepare to die..."

LogiChristianity
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby LogiChristianity » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:00 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
LogiChristianity wrote:

Right, people have never been senselessly murdered! Time to pack it up guys! Fire all of the police! Murder doesn't exist!

When people commit it, they don't think it is senseless.
Get it? Logic + Christianity = Logichristianity = Jesus = Salvation = Heaven = God = Oneness.

LogiChristianity
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby LogiChristianity » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:01 pm

The Daktanese Technocracy wrote:
LogiChristianity wrote:

Yes, we know why we know it.

First of all, evolution isn't necessarily real. But even if it is, survival of the fittest doesn't always support morality. Honesty is moral, right? But it doesn't always help survival. Dishonesty, if done well, can cause you personally to thrive and reproduce with lots of women.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:02 pm

LogiChristianity wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:

When people commit it, they don't think it is senseless.

Now tell me, how does that make it not senseless?

The Daktanese Technocracy
Diplomat

Founded: May 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Daktanese Technocracy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:02 pm

LogiChristianity wrote:
The Daktanese Technocracy wrote:Yes, we know why we know it.

First of all, evolution isn't necessarily real. But even if it is, survival of the fittest doesn't always support morality. Honesty is moral, right? But it doesn't always help survival. Dishonesty, if done well, can cause you personally to thrive and reproduce with lots of women.

Yes, Evolution has been proven.

Honesty is moral in most systems, yes. But it doesn't always help survival. Yes. That's why we lie. Also, Evolution doesn't only effect men.
Last edited by The Daktanese Technocracy on Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I remember the first time I died. Facing down my foe was to be expected. Even inevitable. Resurrected, my soul awoke and my battles were fought harder. Death became my friend. I remember the first time I died. But dying gets easier; it's how you die that leaves your mark. Prepare to die..."

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:03 pm

LogiChristianity wrote:First of all, evolution isn't necessarily real.

Yes, it is.

LogiChristianity wrote:But even if it is, survival of the fittest doesn't always support morality. Honesty is moral, right? But it doesn't always help survival. Dishonesty, if done well, can cause you personally to thrive and reproduce with lots of women.

Yeah, no. Simply because honesty does not always work does not mean that it never works. Hence why we are not perfectly honest.

Rov
Envoy

Founded: Jul 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rov » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:03 pm

LogiChristianity wrote:

Nope. Senseless killing is wrong (at least with my morals, dunno about yours) because if you do so (to sentients, that is), you give up the right not to be killed senselessly. It's just logical- why exactly are your rights worth more than someone else's? As I do not want to die, due to basic evolutionary principles, I don't want to kill anyone else.

When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and leave the world wondering how the hell you did it. -Unknown

There is no cause so right that one cannot find a fool following it. -Larry Niven

Pro: Internet direct democracy, transhumanism, mixed economy, LGBT, abortion, feminism, secular government, education, welfare state, net neutrality, government transparency
Anti: Radicals of all ideologies, party system, authoritarianism, imperialism, conservatives, war

Der Landstreicher
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Der Landstreicher » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:08 pm

Sociobiology wrote:
no good just means that which we act favorably towards.
good or bad is like disgust or pleasant, it is an emotional tag, not an inherent characteristic of the action.

That's called noncognitivism, I myself lean towards moral nihilism and error theory. I say that doesn't make it good or bad, but those are merely emotions, and that there's no reason to believe certain emotions make things "good" or "bad" even subjectively because it's still making a false claim.

Sociobiology wrote:no those things are right or wrong only to the extent we behave as if they are, good and bad ONLY exist to the extent humans behave as if they do.

nothing is right or wrong objectively only subjectively as a human with said instincts or beliefs.

Like I said before, just because certain people act a certain way doesn't make the claims they make true. When people say "X is bad" or "X is good" that is claim, and one that I'd argue is false.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:11 pm

Rov wrote:
LogiChristianity wrote:

Nope. Senseless killing is wrong (at least with my morals, dunno about yours) because if you do so (to sentients, that is), you give up the right not to be killed senselessly. It's just logical- why exactly are your rights worth more than someone else's? As I do not want to die, due to basic evolutionary principles, I don't want to kill anyone else.

Senseless killing would not be senseless or wrong to the killer. Morality is relative.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Not Safe For Work
Minister

Founded: Jul 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Not Safe For Work » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:33 pm

LogiChristianity wrote:Once again, I'd like to point out that sometimes all these other moral sources direct you to something immoral. Thus, it must be from God.

If the former was true, the latter might be true. There's no reason to believe the former is true, though.
Beot or botneot, tath is the nestqoui.

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:54 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Rov wrote:

Senseless killing would not be senseless or wrong to the killer. Morality is relative.

Not in the sense you suggest. Since morality is inherently interpersonal and social, no one person can ever claim what is or is not moral.

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:10 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Not in the sense you suggest. Since morality is inherently interpersonal and social, no one person can ever claim what is or is not moral.

But as long as one person has a different sense of morality, it by definition is relative.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:12 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:Not in the sense you suggest. Since morality is inherently interpersonal and social, no one person can ever claim what is or is not moral.

But as long as one person has a different sense of morality, it by definition is relative.

Not necessarily. The possibility exists that those people are just wrong.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:13 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:

Not necessarily. The possibility exists that those people are just wrong.

Only by someone elses (or societies) definitions.
Hail Satan!

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:16 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:Not necessarily. The possibility exists that those people are just wrong.

Only by someone elses (or societies) definitions.

Again, no. Declaring that all morality is relative, or that all moral points of view are equally valid is just as stupid as claiming that there is a divinely authored code of conduct that is non-negotiable and binding in all circumstances.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General