NATION

PASSWORD

Iran vs the US Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Novus America
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 02, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:47 am

Caracasus wrote:
Nihon koku wrote:Hard to explain it when the it was never proven the Iranians did it. You're asking for speculation at that point.

Wheras the MOVE bombings were definately the actions of the police dept.

Of a police department. Yes. Police do sometimes use excessive force.
So you are going to keep avoiding answering and keep up your false equivalence whataboutism.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Zombie Ike/Teddy Roosevelt 2020.

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.
Think something like prewar Fallout, minus the bad stuff.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:49 am

Sundowers wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
So what in the video definitively proves that Iran was behind the bombings?

Becuase on April 22nd Iran said they would do these things,

Iran's Revolutionary Guard are competent. If they'd planted the limpet mines, they'd have been below the waterline, and the tankers would have sunk.

only iran uses mines,

Outright lie.

and the boat is is a boghammer used by the IRGC.

The boat is removing mines, not placing them.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:51 am

Nihon koku wrote:
Novus America wrote:
Hezbollah openly admitted to doing it.
And there is vast evidence of Iranian involvement.

So Hezbollah, and not Iran. Just "evidence" and not proof.

Can you cite a proven example to debate rationale behind? Works better than speculation.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6085768.stm
https://www.jta.org/2015/08/03/global/i ... l-in-place
Also you cannot easily separate Hezbollah from Iran as it is designed as the Lebanese Guardians of the Islamic Revolution, and is fully backed and supported by Iran.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America represents my vision of an awesome Atompunk near future United States of America expanded to the entire North American continent, Guyana and the Philippines. The population would be around 700 million.

Politically I am an independent. I support what is good for the country, which means I cannot support either party.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:51 am

Sundowers wrote:
Vassenor wrote:
So what in the video definitively proves that Iran planted the bombs?

They were magnetic sea mines, and if you mean to tell me that you seriosuly think the US bought a boghammer, mined the straits of Hormuz, then used that boghammer to renove unexploded mines off these ships all on an efoort to make Iran look bad I dont know what to say to you.

Removing mines and placing mines are different things.

Also, they're absolutely not magnetic sea mines (there's no possible way such things could end up several metres above the waterline): if they are mines, then they are limpet mines, which are placed by hand, and here have been placed in such a way as to guarantee minimal damage to the ships. There are only two reasons to do that:

1. To show off your capability as a threat (in which case, we'd know who did it, because they'd have claimed responsibility).
2. To mount a false-flag operation without doing too much damage to yourself.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:52 am

Salandriagado wrote:
Sundowers wrote:
Becuase on April 22nd Iran said they would do these things,

Iran's Revolutionary Guard are competent. If they'd planted the limpet mines, they'd have been below the waterline, and the tankers would have sunk.

only iran uses mines,

Outright lie.

and the boat is is a boghammer used by the IRGC.

Maybe they were not trying to sink the tankers. Just scare them without sinking them.
Also it might have been a projectile explosive anyways.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:53 am

Novus America wrote:
Gormwood wrote:Saudi Arabia, the U.S, Israel. 3 major suspects who would love Iran getting invaded.

No way the US did. We suck at that type of thing. We would get caught.

The other two cannot be ruled out, but we know Iran has done this exact same shit before.

Given how abysmally implemented it was, your argument supports the "US did it" theory: seriously, who the fuck plants limpet mines above the waterline?
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Nihon koku
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 14, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nihon koku » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:53 am

Novus America wrote:
Nihon koku wrote:So Hezbollah, and not Iran. Just "evidence" and not proof.

Can you cite a proven example to debate rationale behind? Works better than speculation.

Also you cannot easily separate Hezbollah from Iran as it is designed as the Lebanese Guardians of the Islamic Revolution, and is fully backed and supported by Iran.

So instead of offering a case Iran was proven to be involved in, you doubledown.

Is this Hezbollah bombing the only thing Iran may have had a hand in? There has to be more.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:54 am

Salandriagado wrote:
The New California Republic wrote:Who are the other suspects?

Saudi Arabia (given that they were planted in a Saudi port), the US, Israel (probably working in conjunction with the US). Any other random terrorist group, but not one of the competent ones, because these mines were very clearly placed in such a way as to not significantly damage the ships.

Again no way the US could pull this off without gettin caught, and it is not really our MO.
Israel and Saudi Arabia annoy be ruled out but it seems excessively risky.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:55 am

Novus America wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Outright lie.

Maybe they were not trying to sink the tankers. Just scare them without sinking them.

That only works if you claim responsibility.

You still aim for the waterline or below.
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:58 am

Nihon koku wrote:
Novus America wrote:

So instead of offering a case Iran was proven to be involved in, you doubledown.

Is this Hezbollah bombing the only thing Iran may have had a hand in? There has to be more.

Did you read the articles? The Argentinian government charge the Iranian regime directly.
They even have the names of the Iranians involved.

But sure, Iran has done other crazy shit.
That was the most off the wall bizarre but there is more.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran_an ... _terrorism
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:59 am

Novus America wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Saudi Arabia (given that they were planted in a Saudi port), the US, Israel (probably working in conjunction with the US). Any other random terrorist group, but not one of the competent ones, because these mines were very clearly placed in such a way as to not significantly damage the ships.

Again no way the US could pull this off without gettin caught, and it is not really our MO.

The US doesn't appear to have gotten away with it.

And yes, it literally is the US's MO. Remember the Maine? Operation Ajax? Operation Northwoods?
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:02 am

Salandriagado wrote:
Novus America wrote:

No. It makes a deniable statement that is still scary.
Obviously Iran, if they did it would want to drive up oil prices and scare people (which already successfully happened) but also deny it so they can avoid retaliation and blame it on the US/Saudi Arabia/Israel.

Many projectile weapons do not work below the waterline.
And again maybe sinking the boat was not the objective.
Maybe they got exactly what the wanted. Higher oil prices, people scared, and people still rushing to defend them.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:06 am

Salandriagado wrote:
Novus America wrote:

The US doesn't appear to have gotten away with it.

And yes, it literally is the US's MO. Remember the Maine? Operation Ajax? Operation Northwoods?

The Maine was not blown up by the US on purpose. It was a coal gas accident most likely.
Operation Ajax was entirely different. It was supporting a coup. Not a false flag.
Operation Northwoods was never executed. It was proposed by some in the government as an idea but the majority of the government obviously thought it was crazy.
But in both cases the secret was poorly kept and everyone found out.

And what proof do you have of US involvement? When did proof the US was involved come out of this?
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:08 am

Novus America wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

No, it makes you look utterly incompetent.

Obviously Iran, if they did it would want to drive up oil prices and scare people (which already successfully happened) but also deny it so they can avoid retaliation and blame it on the US/Saudi Arabia/Israel.

Except that the only thing that people are scared of is the US responding stupidly.

But they do work at the waterline. If you can't get your shot within a metre of the waterline in calm seas against a target that's unaware and making no effort to avoid you, you again just look incompetent.

Maybe they got exactly what the wanted. Higher oil prices, people scared, and people still rushing to defend them.

Which makes no sense for Iran: if it sank, there would be less evidence to tie it to them. It makes perfect sense for the US, though.
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:20 am

Salandriagado wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Except that the only thing that people are scared of is the US responding stupidly.

But they do work at the waterline. If you can't get your shot within a metre of the waterline in calm seas against a target that's unaware and making no effort to avoid you, you again just look incompetent.

Which makes no sense for Iran: if it sank, there would be less evidence to tie it to them. It makes perfect sense for the US, though.

People being scared of the US and blaming it falls right into US hands.
So it looks like Iran succeeded if they did this.

You cannot argue this could not be Iran because it does not benefit Iran while showing how it benefits Iran.

You are not going to sink a ship like that with a small explosive anyways.
Oil tankers are damn hard to sink. Even multiple hits with anti ship missiles will not do it.

Even if you hit it below the waterline. And actually shooting a grenade launcher from a moving boat is hard to do accurately. If you aim directly at the water line you are liable to miss entirely if your grenade falls short.

If you aim above you are much less likely to miss.

If you aim exactly at the waterline and hit a meter below you intended impact point you miss entirely. If you aim 3 meters above even if you hit 3 meters below or above you still hit.
The water line is a very narrow target. The side of the ship is not.

Also if the US was trying to blame Iran why would we not try to sink the ship? Sinking it would give us a better thing to attack Iran over, if that was our goal.
Last edited by Novus America on Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:33 am

If Iran did this is was perfectly rationale anyways as it clearly has worked in their favor.

And if the US did it would be irrational as it has clearly worked against us.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:39 am

Novus America wrote:If Iran did this is was perfectly rationale anyways as it clearly has worked in their favor.

Gulf of Tonkin, anyone? It's time to declare war and kill our troops again.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Political Compass Results:

Economic: -5.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51
I make dumb jokes. I'm really serious about that.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:40 am

Novus America wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Erm, no?

You cannot argue this could not be Iran because it does not benefit Iran while showing how it benefits Iran.

I didn't. The US invading Iran is not in Iran's interest.

Oil tankers are damn hard to sink. Even multiple hits with anti ship missiles will not do it.

Even if you hit it below the waterline. And actually shooting a grenade launcher from a moving boat is hard to do accurately. If you aim directly at the water line you are liable to miss entirely if your grenade falls short.

It absolutely wasn't a grenade launcher, so that's utterly irrelevant.

Also if the US was trying to blame Iran why would we not try to sink the ship? Sinking it would give us a better thing to attack Iran over, if that was our goal.

Because it would be dangerous as fuck. Lightly damaging your ally's ship is something that you can paper over with lots of apologising, some trade concessions, and some bullshitting. Sinking one gets them to stop being your ally right quick.
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:41 am

Novus America wrote:If Iran did this is was perfectly rationale anyways as it clearly has worked in their favor.

What the fuck made you come to that conclusion? Iran is looking at a serious possibility of being invaded, and Trump is looking at a serious possibility of a massive "war-president" boost in the elections.
Cosara wrote:

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Gormwood
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 25, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Gormwood » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:44 am

The South Falls wrote:

Gulf of Tonkin, anyone? It's time to declare war and kill our troops again.

That would be meta. A Vietnam style quagmire under the watch of someone who faked bone spurs to avoid serving in Vietnam.
Bloodthirsty savages who call for violence against the Right while simultaneously being unarmed defenseless sissies who will get slaughtered by the gun-toting Right in a civil war.
Breath So Bad, It Actually Drives People Mad

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:46 am

Salandriagado wrote:

What the fuck made you come to that conclusion? Iran is looking at a serious possibility of being invaded, and Trump is looking at a serious possibility of a massive "war-president" boost in the elections.

Or further demonization, depending on the circumstances in which he declares war.
This is an MT nation that reflects some of my beliefs, trade deals and debate always welcome! Call me TeaSF. A level 8, according to This Index.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:47 am

Salandriagado wrote:
Novus America wrote:

Erm, no?

I didn't. The US invading Iran is not in Iran's interest.

It absolutely wasn't a grenade launcher, so that's utterly irrelevant.

Because it would be dangerous as fuck. Lightly damaging your ally's ship is something that you can paper over with lots of apologising, some trade concessions, and some bullshitting. Sinking one gets them to stop being your ally right quick.

Wait, the US invaded Iran? Please link to when that happened.
Last I checked the US has done nothing while people are shillings for Iran and blaming the US.

How do you know? It sounds like could be a grenade launcher based on the Japanese crew testimony. The same applies to most other projectile weapons anyways.

Okay you argued Iran does not want war. And you say lightly damaging makes it easier to BS your way out of war...
you just totally killed your own argument.
Lightly damaging would be less risky for Iran too.
Last edited by Novus America on Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:48 am

Salandriagado wrote:

No. Iran is not seriously at risk of being invaded, your hyperbole is silly.
If I ran actually gets invaded I will concede I was wrong.
But you will have to do the same if they are not invaded.
Last edited by Novus America on Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

The South Falls
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The South Falls » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:52 am

I think it'll be expedient (if Iran perpetrated the attacks), to wait and pursue a diplomatic option.

Novus America
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Novus America » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:56 am

The South Falls wrote:I think it'll be expedient (if Iran perpetrated the attacks), to wait and pursue a diplomatic option.

Well I agree that we should not go to war over this, diplomacy with Iran is impossible when they have absolutely said they will not negotiate.
But we should use this to try to get more countries to sanction Iran.
And to drive a wedge between Iran and countries still on good terms with Iran.
Last edited by Novus America on Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
___|_|___ _|__*__|_

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General