NATION

PASSWORD

Whose football wins and why

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Sun May 30, 2010 9:17 pm

Barringtonia wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:American Football is better for one simple reason, the free market (what, you were expecting something else from me?)

The NFL raises more revenue than any soccer league in the world. The EPL is the highest revenue soccer league in the world, and is behind the NFL, MLB and the NBA.

That's nothing to do with NFL and everything to do with the USA and TV. In fact, the NFL has a number of anti-capitalist aspects from salary caps, a draft system that punishes the winner and rewards the loser, a closed league...

It's practically communist,

Oh yeah, well umm.... Your a communist! *Sticks out tung*

Lol, but in all seriousness I think he means just simply the revenue gains.
"Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit."-Oscar Wilde

Defcon 5: Pax Hegstoriana
Defcon 4: Ehh, things are pretty good, but a bit heated
Defcon 3: War seems near, but not at the moment, and far from the mind
Defcon 2: Get a helmet
Defcon 1: Put on said helmet

Colonies: South-West Hegstodia, The Hegstoria Rhodesian Confederacy(3 independent colonies), Fuair

Major Leaders: President Jonathan F. Shepherd, Vice President Francis P. Sinclair, Minister of the Interior Samuel D. Lisbon, Minister of the Armed Forces General Stanley C. McAlister

Map: -currently under a redesign-

Size: 7,825,600 km^2

Life Expectancy: 84.59 years Courtesy of Unibot

Alliances: Skyguard Defense Network

embassy program

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sun May 30, 2010 9:18 pm

Barringtonia wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:American Football is better for one simple reason, the free market (what, you were expecting something else from me?)

The NFL raises more revenue than any soccer league in the world. The EPL is the highest revenue soccer league in the world, and is behind the NFL, MLB and the NBA.

That's nothing to do with NFL and everything to do with the USA and TV. In fact, the NFL has a number of anti-capitalist aspects from salary caps, a draft system that punishes the winner and rewards the loser, a closed league...

Hey, China's one of the most Capitalist countries on Earth, Image

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Sun May 30, 2010 9:20 pm

Hegstoria wrote:
Barringtonia wrote:

I haven't even touched on the controlled propoganda..

If you tune in to ESPN Classic, you can see a lot of old baseball, basketball and college football games played in their entirety, but not NFL games. You can watch NFL Films videos, which are chopped up and pasted together by the league to show only the best highlights. But if you're a Denver Broncos fan, don't expect to find a full replay of Super Bowl 32 somewhere.

As if all that wasn't bad enough, the league has now taken to restricting the news media and how they cover the league. Local TV stations are no longer allowed to bring their own cameras to a game - all stations in one area must share a single camera provided by the league and all use the exact same footage. Still photographers are still allowed on the sidelines - but only if they wear vests adorned with logos of league sponsors, forcing objective journalists to contribute to the league's shilling.

These last two examples show the most glaring example of how close the NFL is to Communist Russia - the league is attempting to prevent the news media from publishing anything bad about them. This is the league that bullied ESPN into canceling its critically acclaimed fictional series "Playmakers" because they didn't like how it negatively portrayed football players. The same league that allowed Leonard Little to still play after he killed someone while driving drunk. And allowed Michael Vick to come back after spending two years in prison for animal abuse.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... tml?cat=14
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sibirsky » Sun May 30, 2010 9:21 pm

Barringtonia wrote:

You missed the biggest one of all. The TV contracts. They have 3, and the revenue from the three is.....

DIVIDED EQUALLY AMONGST ALL TEAMS.

The general idea though, is that equality will bring parity and more competitive play to the league.

But compared to say baseball, which has no salary cap or league wide TV contracts (it's not feasible with almost 3000 games per year, the NFL has 256) teams in smaller TV markets are genuinely disadvantaged. So you end up with teams trying to buy titles (the Yankees, kind of like the EPL's Chelsea - Russian owned!) and in a competitive sports league, that's just not cool.
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Sun May 30, 2010 9:22 pm

Barringtonia wrote:

Not to mention a Monopoly.

Oh what I would give to see the NFL broken up. How cool would that be?
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Sun May 30, 2010 9:24 pm

Central World Alliance wrote:Does American football beat regular football and why.

I would like a good long and four day debate on this!

What about Canadian football?

Also, the football where people actually use their feet to manipulate the ball is better than the wussied up version of rugby that passes as football in North America.

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Sun May 30, 2010 9:24 pm

Sibirsky wrote:You missed the biggest one of all. The TV contracts. They have 3, and the revenue from the three is.....

DIVIDED EQUALLY AMONGST ALL TEAMS.

Just... it's just un-American..

Dakini wrote:What about Canadian football?

You're cute,

Anyway, we're talking about grown-up sports here,

Sorry, sorry, sorreeeeeeeee!
Last edited by Barringtonia on Sun May 30, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Sun May 30, 2010 9:27 pm

Barringtonia wrote:

You're cute,

Canadian football is more entertaining than American football.

People tend to score more often.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sibirsky » Sun May 30, 2010 9:27 pm

Barringtonia wrote:
Hegstoria wrote:
Barringtonia wrote:

I haven't even touched on the controlled propoganda..

If you tune in to ESPN Classic, you can see a lot of old baseball, basketball and college football games played in their entirety, but not NFL games. You can watch NFL Films videos, which are chopped up and pasted together by the league to show only the best highlights. But if you're a Denver Broncos fan, don't expect to find a full replay of Super Bowl 32 somewhere.

As if all that wasn't bad enough, the league has now taken to restricting the news media and how they cover the league. Local TV stations are no longer allowed to bring their own cameras to a game - all stations in one area must share a single camera provided by the league and all use the exact same footage. Still photographers are still allowed on the sidelines - but only if they wear vests adorned with logos of league sponsors, forcing objective journalists to contribute to the league's shilling.

These last two examples show the most glaring example of how close the NFL is to Communist Russia - the league is attempting to prevent the news media from publishing anything bad about them. This is the league that bullied ESPN into canceling its critically acclaimed fictional series "Playmakers" because they didn't like how it negatively portrayed football players. The same league that allowed Leonard Little to still play after he killed someone while driving drunk. And allowed Michael Vick to come back after spending two years in prison for animal abuse.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... tml?cat=14

They replay all the Super Bowls before the live Super Bowl every year.

As far as allowing convicts to play, they did their time, they know nothing else. Why punish them more than once for the same crime? Especially by depriving them of their lively hood.

Anyway, leading the world in revenues for sports league sure helps being in the USA (4 out of the top 5 are here) but why the NFL at the top instead of baseball? Cuz the NFL is the best that's why :p
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Sun May 30, 2010 9:27 pm

Dakini wrote:
Central World Alliance wrote:Does American football beat regular football and why.

I would like a good long and four day debate on this!

What about Canadian football?

Also, the football where people actually use their feet to manipulate the ball is better than the wussied up version of rugby that passes as football in North America.

Rugby is a mans sport as well. Personally I think the GAA should be brought to America, teach people what a real sport looks like.
"Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit."-Oscar Wilde

Defcon 5: Pax Hegstoriana
Defcon 4: Ehh, things are pretty good, but a bit heated
Defcon 3: War seems near, but not at the moment, and far from the mind
Defcon 2: Get a helmet
Defcon 1: Put on said helmet

Colonies: South-West Hegstodia, The Hegstoria Rhodesian Confederacy(3 independent colonies), Fuair

Major Leaders: President Jonathan F. Shepherd, Vice President Francis P. Sinclair, Minister of the Interior Samuel D. Lisbon, Minister of the Armed Forces General Stanley C. McAlister

Map: -currently under a redesign-

Size: 7,825,600 km^2

Life Expectancy: 84.59 years Courtesy of Unibot

Alliances: Skyguard Defense Network

embassy program

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sibirsky » Sun May 30, 2010 9:28 pm

United Dependencies wrote:
Barringtonia wrote:

Why would you want the NFL broken up? There are other smaller football leagues in the US. Sports leagues are exempt from antitrust laws in the US.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sibirsky » Sun May 30, 2010 9:29 pm

Dakini wrote:
Barringtonia wrote:

You're cute,

We have Arena Football to remedy that.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Sun May 30, 2010 9:29 pm

Sibirsky wrote:
Barringtonia wrote:

Why would you want the NFL broken up? There are other smaller football leagues in the US. Sports leagues are exempt from antitrust laws in the US.

In theory I'd get cheaper tickets and the teams would not be as good as they are now. Two pluses right there.
Last edited by United Dependencies on Sun May 30, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Sun May 30, 2010 9:30 pm

Dakini wrote: People tend to score more often.

I hear that about Canadian girls,

No, seriously, sorry, I mean it, okay, stop hitting me, I said I'm sorry!

Sibirsky wrote:Anyway, leading the world in revenues for sports league sure helps being in the USA (4 out of the top 5 are here) but why the NFL at the top instead of baseball? Cuz the NFL is the best that's why :p

How fast is the NBA catching up, is it catching up?

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sibirsky » Sun May 30, 2010 9:32 pm

Sibirsky wrote:
Barringtonia wrote:

In theory I'd get cheaper tickets and the teams would be as good as they are now. Two pluses right there.

The ticket prices are set by the teams. The teams would not all play each other. One league would emerge as the better league and take the better players out of college. It would pay more and attract the better talent from the free agent pool. And so on. Just not necessary. In fact, damaging.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sibirsky » Sun May 30, 2010 9:33 pm

Barringtonia wrote:

Sibirsky wrote:Anyway, leading the world in revenues for sports league sure helps being in the USA (4 out of the top 5 are here) but why the NFL at the top instead of baseball? Cuz the NFL is the best that's why :p

Nope. The basketball arenas are much smaller. The NBA is a distant third anyway. There is talk of MLB surpassing the NFL in revenues however. We'll see.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Sun May 30, 2010 9:35 pm

Barringtonia wrote:

Well, women here are better at scoring.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Sun May 30, 2010 9:35 pm

Sibirsky wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:
Barringtonia wrote:

In theory I'd get cheaper tickets and the teams would be as good as they are now. Two pluses right there.

The ticket prices are set by the teams. The teams would not all play each other. One league would emerge as the better league and take the better players out of college. It would pay more and attract the better talent from the free agent pool. And so on. Just not necessary. In fact, damaging.

The way I see it two leagues means more choices as to what games I do and don't go to. If two leagues have their teams near me then both teams have more competition to get fans. Ofcourse I'm no economics expert this is just my personal theory.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sibirsky » Sun May 30, 2010 9:37 pm

Sibirsky wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:
Barringtonia wrote:

The way I see it two leagues means more choices as to what games I do and don't go to. If two leagues have their teams near me then both teams have more competition to get fans. Ofcourse I'm no economics expert this is just my personal theory.

Most cities have only 1 team. In fact only 1 city has 2 teams. If it ain't broke, why fix it?
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Sun May 30, 2010 9:38 pm

Sibirsky wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:
Barringtonia wrote:

Most cities have only 1 team. In fact only 1 city has 2 teams. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Meh. I go to college games anyway. The NFL is way to expensive.
Last edited by United Dependencies on Sun May 30, 2010 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Sibirsky » Sun May 30, 2010 9:41 pm

Barringtonia wrote:

Also, when the dollar is cheap relative to the Pound Sterling, the EPL actually passes the NBA for 3rd. Like when the pound was $2.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Sun May 30, 2010 9:50 pm

Dakini wrote:
Barringtonia wrote:

You're cute,

I like some of the rules and set up of Canadian Football, but, it's hard for me to watch when I pick out names of players I said sucked...

Like Ricky Williams, >_>

You-Gi-Owe
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby You-Gi-Owe » Sun May 30, 2010 10:17 pm

American Football wins over Futbol.
Rugby is darn entertaining!

American football is an act of ritual warfare.
Each play is a skirmish. Each drive to the end-zone is a charge. Each game is a battle. Each season is a war.

Between each play is a chance to catch one's breath re-evaluate assets and tactics.

"The Line" has "the Center", with offensive and defensive Guards and Tackles, as infantry and fighting toe to toe. The "Cavalry" are the Running Backs, Receivers, Cornerbacks and Safetys. The roles of "Captain" and "Quartermaster" are made one in the Quarterback on the offense (due to possession of the ball), while the defensive players usually have a Captain.
“Man, I'm so hip I won't even eat a square meal!”
"We've always been at war with Eastasia." 1984, George Orwell
Tyrion: "Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!"
“I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.” ~ James Madison quotes

Greater Teutony
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Teutony » Sun May 30, 2010 10:29 pm

ITT: Americans say that American football is better, everyone else say that regular football is better.

You-Gi-Owe
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby You-Gi-Owe » Sun May 30, 2010 10:38 pm

Greater Teutony wrote:ITT: Americans say that American football is better, everyone else say that regular football is better.

Well, another thing in American Football is that between plays, we can make a quick dash to the kitchen for grub and drink and not miss a play.
“Man, I'm so hip I won't even eat a square meal!”
"We've always been at war with Eastasia." 1984, George Orwell
Tyrion: "Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!"
“I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.” ~ James Madison quotes

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General