NATION

PASSWORD

Claim the Right to be Unhappy?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you become part of this brave new world?

Of course... no poverty, no crime, no war, no books -- what's not to like?
7%
Ship me off to an Individualist Territory, thanks... no arts, no religion, no freedom, no feelings -- sounds dreadful!
87%
I'll go wherever Hasselhoff is!
7%

Total votes : 76

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:15 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
The Emerald Legion wrote:
Throwing us out to never come back... How? Like how are they going to enforce it? Keep in mind, free territories will outnumber them 15 to 1 in just population. In addition, of that one, most will be kept chemically docile. Which makes it closer to 60-1 combat capable people. Spears aren't hard to make and neither are clubs or knives.

So yes, we take the option to go into exile, then just show up in force, beat the shit out of the vastly numerically inferior New Worlders, and take what we want. We now have all the machine tools and modern supplies we need, and then they'll be really screwed.

They have all the guns and weapons when you start to come back, you have none. My money is on the side with guns.

Guns don't help *that* much when you're outnumbered 60 to 1.

And that's being optimistic. That's assuming that 25% of their population is assigned to military duty. If it's closer to 1% which is typical... You're looking at 1,500 to 1. At that point you're going to run out of bullets before the free territories run out of people.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Victorious Decepticons
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 15, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Victorious Decepticons » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:04 am

Send me straight to the Territories.

FLORIDA in particular has a hot, humid climate that is full of nothing but damn irritating gnats plague mosquitoes, rattlesnakes, and gators. Not only that, it's full of Florida Men (and women) who'd blast anyone who tried to take their freedom with big ol' shotguns. It SURELY is too rotten and troublesome to be integrated into that awful society! So, I can just stay right here where I am. (I actually love Florida, but of course, I wouldn't tell them that as I dissuaded these nuts from trying to take it over.)

"What was the thing you wouldn't give up?"

This is the biggest deal-breaker out of the many paragraphs of deal-breakers listed in the scenario:

Secondly, everyone will be assigned a job. They will be guaranteed job security -- they will do it their whole working life. This means that, if you are assigned as Road Sweeper #20123, you will sweep the same stretch of road forever.

My right to NOT HAVE A JOB shall not be infringed. IRL I am self-employed. I am staying that way. I would take up arms IRL to stay that way. "Job security" is just code for slavery - and when a job is assigned, there is no way to weasel around that fact.

The "no literature" thing is crap, too. That's anti-intellectual garbage, and I would consider the "anti-feelings" excuse to be just government spin. However, it could be thwarted far easier than that "you're condemned to being a job-peasant and you can't be your own boss" BS! You can write/read books and hide them...you can't really hide it when you refuse to show up to your assigned job.

Also, there's no risk in that dystopian hellhole society. That'd be like being dead. Risk is commensurate with reward. It's also fun and exciting. The problem with "security" and "safety" is that there is no potential for an improvement in one's lot over the decided-on baseline - a baseline that others decide on and then impose upon you. To hell with that!
Last edited by Victorious Decepticons on Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
No war RPs; no open RPs.

Explosive .50 cal shells vs. Decepticons: REAL, IRL PROOF the Decepticons would laugh at them - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeVTZlNQfPA
Newaswa wrote:What is the greatest threat to your nation?
Vallermoore wrote:The Victorious Decepticons.

Bluquse wrote:Imperialist, aggressive, and genociding aliens or interdimensional beings that would most likely slaughter or enslave us
rather than meet up to have a talk. :(

TurtleShroom wrote:Also, like any sane, civilized nation, we always consider the Victorious Decepticons a clear, present, and obvious threat we must respect, honor, and leave alone in all circumstances. Always fear the Victorious Decepticons.

The Huskar Social Union wrote: ... massive empires of genocidal machines.

The Holy Therns
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 09, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Therns » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:46 pm

The Free Joy State wrote:
The Holy Therns wrote:Equilibrium was a pretty fun movie, yeah.

How dare you! :p

In the words of Vonnegut, I "cheerfully ripped off the plot of Brave New World, whose plot had been cheerfully ripped off from Yevgeny Zamyatin's We."

In all seriousness, I never saw Equilibrium. I'm still debating whether to see the new adaptation of Brave New World (the last one sucked).

I dare, because such glamorous and fashionable am I.
Platitude with attitude
Your new favorite.
MTF transperson. She/her. Lives in Sweden.
Also, N A N A ! ! !
Gallade wrote:Love, cake, wine and banter. No greater meaning to life (〜^∇^)〜

Ethel mermania wrote:to therns is to transend the pettiness of the field of play into the field of dreams.

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:23 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
The Emerald Legion wrote:
Throwing us out to never come back... How? Like how are they going to enforce it? Keep in mind, free territories will outnumber them 15 to 1 in just population. In addition, of that one, most will be kept chemically docile. Which makes it closer to 60-1 combat capable people. Spears aren't hard to make and neither are clubs or knives.

So yes, we take the option to go into exile, then just show up in force, beat the shit out of the vastly numerically inferior New Worlders, and take what we want. We now have all the machine tools and modern supplies we need, and then they'll be really screwed.

They have all the guns and weapons when you start to come back, you have none. My money is on the side with guns.

That was how the Confederacy thought they were going to win the Civil War. "We have guns! The Yankees spend all their time working in the mills or with their nose stuck in a book!"
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:36 pm

Mandatory happiness is probably the most disturbing thought in the entirety of dystopian fiction.

And religion, which I realize is a tad redundant.

So no soma for me.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:46 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

That was how the Confederacy thought they were going to win the Civil War. "We have guns! The Yankees spend all their time working in the mills or with their nose stuck in a book!"

Confederacy didn't have the guns or the means to produce them in quantity, They thought honor and Valor would be enough, much like the poster I was responding too. The northerners built the trains and telegraphs and ironclads that won war. Ask your self, how many of your sister monitors were built, vs how many brothers to the Virginia?
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:51 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:Mandatory happiness is probably the most disturbing thought in the entirety of dystopian fiction.

So no soma for me.

Tbh, after a particularly stupid Tuesday, I wouldn't mind 6 hours or so of it. As a day in, day out kinda thing, not so much.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Thepeopl
Minister

Founded: Feb 24, 2019
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Thepeopl » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:37 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Neanderthaland wrote:Mandatory happiness is probably the most disturbing thought in the entirety of dystopian fiction.

So no soma for me.

Tbh, after a particularly stupid Tuesday, I wouldn't mind 6 hours or so of it. As a day in, day out kinda thing, not so much.

Have Mrs. Mermania rub your tummy. 6 hrs long. You'll be in heaven.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:06 pm

Thepeopl wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Tbh, after a particularly stupid Tuesday, I wouldn't mind 6 hours or so of it. As a day in, day out kinda thing, not so much.

Have Mrs. Mermania rub your tummy. 6 hrs long. You'll be in heaven.

Some days, I am better off with the dilaudid
Last edited by Ethel mermania on Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:15 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:

So no soma for me.

TIL Soma is just a tub of Ben & Jerry's.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:06 pm

Neanderthaland wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Tbh, after a particularly stupid Tuesday, I wouldn't mind 6 hours or so of it. As a day in, day out kinda thing, not so much.

TIL Soma is just a tub of Ben & Jerry's.

As much as i love chocolate fudge brownie..... what were we talking about?

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General