NATION

PASSWORD

What if the Soviet Union never existed?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kharkav
Civilian

Founded: Jun 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kharkav » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:59 am

The world would have ended :geek:

Fulflood
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fulflood » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:00 am

Vanhania wrote:
Fulflood wrote:Germany. Or there'd be no need for a Cold War because Germany and Japan would just have taken over the US anyway.

Alternatively, we could assume that Tsarist Russia also fought off the Nazis, which is possible but probably less likely.

Or that the UK and France (and Italy at that time) would have fought Germany earlier because the Communist threat which they were appeasing the Nazis to fight wouldn't have existed.

Because America was working on nuclear devices (quite well I may add) and the US' industrial strength would have made it near impossible for Nazi Germany or Japan to keep up a war in the long run. Don't forget Japan invaded the US due to embargoes which were slowly crippling Japan's navy, army, and air force.

It's entirely likely the US wouldn't have been able to keep up its production of nukes at anywhere near that speed if it was the only one left in the war, and was having to use all of its power to fight off Germany and Japan while also being blitzed.
I go under the name Vyvland now (IIWiki page). This account is used for the odd foray into the Senate or NSG.
Straight male British apatheist pacifist environmentalist social liberal

Admin, New Democrat member for Lüborg (504) and ambassador to the Red-Greens in the Aurentine Senate. Minister of Business Safety of Aurentina. Apparently that deserves a ministry, but I'm not complaining. I'm probably none of these things anymore. | The Aurentine Phrasebook, my magnum opus.

The New Sea Territory
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Sea Territory » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:01 am

Russia probably would not have been invaded by Germany, leaving Britain allyless. The Japanese would still attack America, and western Europe would never be won by either side. Eventually, the Russians would pick a side and basically win the stalemate.
| Ⓐ | Anarchist Communist | Heideggerian Marxist | Vegetarian | Bisexual | Stirnerite | Slavic/Germanic Pagan | ᛟ |
Solntsa Roshcha --- Postmodern Poyltheist
"Christianity had brutally planted the poisoned blade in the healthy, quivering flesh of all humanity; it had goaded a cold wave
of darkness with mystically brutal fury to dim the serene and festive exultation of the dionysian spirit of our pagan ancestors."
-Renzo Novatore, Verso il Nulla Creatore

The Godly Nations
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Godly Nations » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:01 am

Then, we would have had a hell of a harder time fighting the Nazis.

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:01 am

Britanno wrote:
Falls Empire wrote:Russia wouldn't have the power to resist the Nazi onslaught and possibly the entire country would become a huge, poor Nazi state. Instead of Communism spreading, the ideas of Fascism and Nazism would spread. Britain would most likely fall apart under the Nazis, regardless of how much they resisted, all of Europe under Nazi control. Africa might have been invaded also, all of it, seeing as it is extremely poor. If you think about it, the Soviet Union saved the entire world, it's stronger-military power being what pushed the Nazis out of their territory and back into Germany, so without the Soviet Union and with the poor Czarist Russia, the Axis Powers would be the overall victors in World War II, which would still happen because the Soviet Union didn't influence Hitler's rise to power at all, and a much 'Colder War' would be fought between the U.S. and the Axis Powers, most likely.

Couldn't disagree more.
It was actually Japan that caused the allies to win. If it hadn't attacked Pearl Harbour then the US (being the cowards they were at the time) wouldn't have intervened. If the US hasn't intervened, then the allies would have lost. However, I do not think Hitler would manage to invade Britain. Not because he didn't have the man power, because the UK's geographical location (being an island) would have prevented an invasion.

America was more concerned with Pacific Theatre, and providing Britain with supplies than actually fighting in the European Theatre.

Conscentia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Conscentia » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:02 am

Fulflood wrote:
Vanhania wrote:
Because America was working on nuclear devices (quite well I may add) and the US' industrial strength would have made it near impossible for Nazi Germany or Japan to keep up a war in the long run. Don't forget Japan invaded the US due to embargoes which were slowly crippling Japan's navy, army, and air force.

It's entirely likely the US wouldn't have been able to keep up its production of nukes at anywhere near that speed if it was the only one left in the war, and was having to use all of its power to fight off Germany and Japan while also being blitzed.

Because bombing raids across the Atlantic are so easy. :roll:

New Waterford
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Waterford » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:03 am

There probably would've been another Soviet country instead.
Economic Left/Right: -8.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.49
Now known IC'ly as An Déise.

Moralem Populi
Spokesperson

Founded: May 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Moralem Populi » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:04 am

WWII could have had a much more sinister end. Perhaps the US and other allied forces could have won, but the USSR as history has shown was essential in defeating the Axis powers.

Also, the space race would have never happened. There wouldn't have been any incentive for the US to go to space, so our understanding may have been enhanced by the USSR existing.
Conservative-Libertarian, College Student, San Diego

The Godly Nations
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Godly Nations » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:04 am

We would never had had Tetris.

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:06 am

Fulflood wrote:
Vanhania wrote:

The Germans couldn't cross the English Channel, just how would they have crossed the Atlantic?
Go Vikings.
Sunnyvale, straight the fuck up.

Oneracon
Senator

Founded: Jul 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Oneracon » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:06 am

Moralem Populi wrote:WWII could have had a much more sinister end. Perhaps the US and other allied forces could have won, but the USSR as history has shown was essential in defeating the Axis powers.

Also, the space race would have never happened. There wouldn't have been any incentive for the US to go to space, so our understanding may have been enhanced by the USSR existing.

Alternately, if the Allies didn't win then it would be Swastika flags flying on the Moon and Mars.
Compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.72
Oneracon IC Links
Factbook
Embassies

"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power"
Pro:LGBTQ+ rights, basic income, secularism, gun control, internet freedom, civic nationalism, non-military national service, independent Scotland, antifa
Anti: Social conservatism, laissez-faire capitalism, NuAtheism, PETA, capital punishment, Putin, SWERF, TERF, GamerGate, "Alt-right" & neo-Nazism, Drumpf, ethnic nationalism, "anti-PC", pineapple on pizza

Your resident Canadian neutral good socdem graduate student.

*Here, queer, and not a prop for your right-wing nonsense.*

Vanhania
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vanhania » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:07 am

Fulflood wrote:
Vanhania wrote:

You forget the fact that the USA was double, even quadruple, the power of Germany in industrial strength for most of the war. It was never industrially weaker. Further more for Germany to send its soldiers through hell in Europe and then have the strength to take over America is laughable.
My political compass:

Economic Left/Right: -8.50

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.26
WA delegate and High Chairman of The Coalition of Governments
Long live Vanhania! Long live Lerodas! Long live the Coalition!

I enjoy helping people so if you are a new player or just want some help or advice in anything (including role plays) I would be more than willing to help. Just send a telegram my way.

My nation is a advanced post modern tech/primitive future tech nation. It is a nonhuman humanoid race which is highly religious and aggressive towards outsiders which have "wronged the race" we are stellar nomads of sorts which span a vast swath of space and are united in one large empire called the Vahric Empire.

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:07 am

The Godly Nations wrote:We would never had had Tetris.

Worker productivity in the 90s triples. Don't see the problem.
Go Vikings.
Sunnyvale, straight the fuck up.

Scandza
Envoy

Founded: Oct 30, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Scandza » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:07 am

Blazedtown wrote:
Fulflood wrote:It's entirely likely the US wouldn't have been able to keep up its production of nukes at anywhere near that speed if it was the only one left in the war, and was having to use all of its power to fight off Germany and Japan while also being blitzed.

The Germans couldn't cross the English Channel, just how would they have crossed the Atlantic?

Obviously through Nazi voodoo.

Republica Newland
Minister

Founded: Oct 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Republica Newland » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:08 am

the world would have been a far better place. half of Europe would have been free from half a century of communist ass rape. Have a look at western Europe. Putting aside the recent economic crisis (although you should note that Western Europe in times of crisis is still better off than Eastern Europe in no crisis), Western Europe is the kind of place where you'd like to live. Developed, civilized, advanced in, well, pretty much everything. Now take a look at Eastern Europe. An underdeveloped and corrupt mess.
F Scale: 2.9(3)
Economic Left/Right: 0.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.10
Aloha.
I play RL-concious. That's just how I roll. Deal with it.
GOODIES IN STOCK!!! - Republica Arms™ - SEARCH FOR TFLRN IN GLOBAL ECONOMICS&TRADE!

Grand Britannia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 15, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Britannia » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:09 am

This thread wouldn't exist.
ଘ( ˘ ᵕ˘)つ----x .*・。゚・ᵕ

The Godly Nations
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Godly Nations » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:09 am

Scandza wrote:
Blazedtown wrote:

Obviously through Nazi voodoo.

No, Voodoo is not Aryan. The Nazis, so I've heard, prefers Theosophy.

Fulflood
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fulflood » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:10 am

Conscentia wrote:
Fulflood wrote:It's entirely likely the US wouldn't have been able to keep up its production of nukes at anywhere near that speed if it was the only one left in the war, and was having to use all of its power to fight off Germany and Japan while also being blitzed.

Because bombing raids across the Atlantic are so easy. :roll:

Then why were the US were able to air-raid Japanese cities?
I know it's the Pacific, but it's entirely possible that Japan (or Germany, who would have been able to access Japan after having taken over the USSR) could have gone across the Pacific instead. Or maybe it isn't, I have no way of knowing.

Alternatively, WW2 could never have happened, because Hitler may not have invaded Poland had the Nazi-Soviet Pact not been signed.
Last edited by Fulflood on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
I go under the name Vyvland now (IIWiki page). This account is used for the odd foray into the Senate or NSG.
Straight male British apatheist pacifist environmentalist social liberal

Admin, New Democrat member for Lüborg (504) and ambassador to the Red-Greens in the Aurentine Senate. Minister of Business Safety of Aurentina. Apparently that deserves a ministry, but I'm not complaining. I'm probably none of these things anymore. | The Aurentine Phrasebook, my magnum opus.

The Godly Nations
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Godly Nations » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:11 am

Fulflood wrote:
Conscentia wrote:Because bombing raids across the Atlantic are so easy. :roll:

I know it's the Pacific, but it's entirely possible that Japan (or Germany, who would have been able to access Japan after having taken over the USSR) could have gone across the Pacific instead. Or maybe it isn't, I have no way of knowing.

Alternatively, WW2 could never have happened, because Hitler would not have invaded Poland had the Nazi-Soviet Pace not been signed.

We had Pacific bases, and we conquered Japanese islands to use as bases for our bombing missions.

Lindenholt
Minister

Founded: Oct 11, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Lindenholt » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:12 am

In Russia they ask what would have happen if America did not exist :rofl:
For information: http://iiwiki.us/wiki/Lindenholt
Come to Sunalaya, you'll enjoy it! Sunalaya
This user supports a single state solution for Ventismar.

New Paris 2014, never forget
This user supports a seven state solution for Bograel-Joguestine.

Nationalist State of Knox
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist State of Knox » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:12 am

Reagan wouldn't have been elected. *nods*
Last edited by Gilgamesh on Mon Aru 17, 2467 BC 10:56am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Knox.
Biblical Authorship
God is Malevolent.
Bible Inaccuracies
Ifreann wrote:Knox: /ˈɡɪl.ɡə.mɛʃ/
Impeach Enlil, legalise dreaming, mortality is theft. GILGAMESH 2474 BC

Johto and Kanto
Minister

Founded: Feb 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Johto and Kanto » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:12 am

The outcome of WWI would probably be different (This is if the communist uprisings never occurred in the 1910s) and there possibly wouldn't be a WWII. At least, possibly without the main enemy being Germany.
I STILL need a new signature.

*insert link to witty post here*

Vanhania
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vanhania » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:13 am

Fulflood wrote:
Conscentia wrote:Because bombing raids across the Atlantic are so easy. :roll:

Alternatively, WW2 could never have happened, because Hitler would not have invaded Poland had the Nazi-Soviet Pace not been signed.

Aircraft carriers help a shit ton when it comes to crossing oceans with aircraft, which is something that Nazi Germany had one of.
My political compass:

Economic Left/Right: -8.50

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.26
WA delegate and High Chairman of The Coalition of Governments
Long live Vanhania! Long live Lerodas! Long live the Coalition!

I enjoy helping people so if you are a new player or just want some help or advice in anything (including role plays) I would be more than willing to help. Just send a telegram my way.

My nation is a advanced post modern tech/primitive future tech nation. It is a nonhuman humanoid race which is highly religious and aggressive towards outsiders which have "wronged the race" we are stellar nomads of sorts which span a vast swath of space and are united in one large empire called the Vahric Empire.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General