NATION

PASSWORD

Americans don't understand Scots law; Compassion.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:35 am

Person012345 wrote:
Coccygia wrote:
Person012345 wrote:
Coccygia wrote:
Person012345 wrote:
Coccygia wrote:>:( This has nothing to do with compassion, which this bastard does not in any way deserve. It was a dirty backroom deal between Blair and Lybia, using the Scots as England's cat's-paw. (How often does one get to use that term in a sentence?)

It's not like blair was king of england. He was prime minister of the UK, scotland was not played by england, it was played by the UK. And it is part of the UK.

Jeez, talk about nitpicking...Let's put it this way: the UK is shifting the blame onto the Scottish government. Is that better? (Kinda like the Federal Govt. in the US shifting the blame to one of the states.)

Not really. It was the scottish government's decision, and afaik the UK government hasn't condemned it.

It was the decision that Blair told them to make, is what I think.

Maybe, and they went along with it. I still don't think the UK has condemned them for doing so. They aren't blaming anyone. Unless they have (and you have a source to that effect)?

IIRC David Cameron said that it was a bad decision to release him (or something to that effect).
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Mikedor
Minister

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mikedor » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:36 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Person012345 wrote:
Coccygia wrote:
Person012345 wrote:
Coccygia wrote:
Person012345 wrote:
Coccygia wrote:>:( This has nothing to do with compassion, which this bastard does not in any way deserve. It was a dirty backroom deal between Blair and Lybia, using the Scots as England's cat's-paw. (How often does one get to use that term in a sentence?)

It's not like blair was king of england. He was prime minister of the UK, scotland was not played by england, it was played by the UK. And it is part of the UK.

Jeez, talk about nitpicking...Let's put it this way: the UK is shifting the blame onto the Scottish government. Is that better? (Kinda like the Federal Govt. in the US shifting the blame to one of the states.)

Not really. It was the scottish government's decision, and afaik the UK government hasn't condemned it.

Maybe, and they went along with it. I still don't think the UK has condemned them for doing so. They aren't blaming anyone. Unless they have (and you have a source to that effect)?

IIRC David Cameron said that it was a bad decision to release him (or something to that effect).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8212457.stm
Welcome to 1938.

I thought ten thousand swords must have leaped from their scabbards to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult. But the age of chivalry is gone. That of sophisters, economists, and calculators has succeeded; and the glory of Europe is extinguished for ever.

Person012345
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Person012345 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:37 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Person012345 wrote:
Coccygia wrote:
Person012345 wrote:
Coccygia wrote:
Person012345 wrote:

Was he speaking on behalf of the British government? Because politicians personal opinion =/= government stance.

Yootwopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootwopia » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:37 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:IIRC David Cameron said that it was a bad decision to release him (or something to that effect).

Mmm yes but then he would, seeing as it was a Scottish decision that he couldn't challenge, thus providing more fuel for the "help help England is so oppressed" crowd which makes up a fairly substantial proportion of the Tory voting base.
Technically a Polanski.

Yootwopia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Yootwopia » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:39 am

Person012345 wrote:Was he speaking on behalf of the British government? Because politicians personal opinion =/= government stance.

It wouldn't matter if it was a governmental or personal call, because, like an Indian princely state Back In The Day, Scotland has presidency over its own laws.
Technically a Polanski.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:45 am

Yootwopia wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:IIRC David Cameron said that it was a bad decision to release him (or something to that effect).

Mmm yes but then he would, seeing as it was a Scottish decision that he couldn't challenge, thus providing more fuel for the "help help England is so oppressed" crowd which makes up a fairly substantial proportion of the Tory voting base.

Other than the West Lothian Question I don't see how that exists. As an Englishman, I thought that the "stop watching Braveheart, England isn't oppressing anyone and neither is it a synonym for Britain" crowed is more important.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Yootwopia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Yootwopia » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:56 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:Other than the West Lothian Question I don't see how that exists. As an Englishman, I thought that the "stop watching Braveheart, England isn't oppressing anyone and neither is it a synonym for Britain" crowed is more important.

Plenty of people out there moping that Scotland gets slightly more funding per head than England despite its obvious importance for the oil and gas industries, and its freshwater reserves, and arguing it it's some kind of state within a state as if this is a new phenomenon.
Technically a Polanski.

The Holy Raj
Envoy

Founded: Aug 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Holy Raj » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:57 am

Personally, I wouldn't have released him, and preferably would have had him hanged (I know there was no death penalty then, I mean in a perfect world), but if we, (The British/Scottish Government) wanted to release him, for oil deals or any other reason, then the Americans should accept our decision, and certainly not snap their fingers and demand Scottish Ministers to appear before congress. We can do as we please, we're a sovereign nation, and we don't need US approval to make decisions based on our own domestic legal system.
"It is only when you get to see and realise what India really is - that she is the strength and greatness of England - it is only then that you feel that every nerve a man may strain, every energy he may put forward cannot be devoted to a nobler purpose than keeping tight the cords that hold India to Ourselves" - Lord Curzon, Viceroy of India, 1898-1905.

Protectorates of the Raj
The Empire of New Pyrrhus

Allies of the Raj
The Kingdom of Churchilland

Now broadcasting to 17.4 Billion people worldwide.

St George of England
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby St George of England » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:39 am

The Holy Raj wrote:Personally, I wouldn't have released him, and preferably would have had him hanged (I know there was no death penalty then, I mean in a perfect world),

then an innocent man would have been hanged.

but if we, (The British/Scottish Government) wanted to release him, for oil deals or any other reason, then the Americans should accept our decision, and certainly not snap their fingers and demand Scottish Ministers to appear before congress. We can do as we please, we're a sovereign nation, and we don't need US approval to make decisions based on our own domestic legal system.

exactly right. we don't need colonials bossing us around, thank you very much.
The Angline-Guanxine Empire
Current Monarch: His Heavenly Guanxine The Ky Morris
Population: As NS Page
Current RP: Closure of the Paulianus Passage
The United Coven of the Otherworlds
Current Leader: Covenwoman Paige Thomas
Population: 312,000,000
Military Size: 4,000,000
New to NS? TG me if you have questions.

Bydlostan (Ancient)
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bydlostan (Ancient) » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:48 am

If the Americans really cared they would ban Scottish exports or have the guy assassinated.

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:35 pm

Bydlostan wrote:If the Americans really cared they would ban Scottish exports or have the guy assassinated.

What, laddie, then we'd hae nae haggis for Bobbie Burns day! :(
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

Yootwopia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Yootwopia » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:36 pm

Rabbie Burns -_-

I also can't believe how long this lasted, lulz.
Technically a Polanski.

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:51 pm

Yootwopia wrote:Rabbie Burns -_-

:blink: Huh? I didn't even know he was Jewish.
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:11 pm

Coccygia wrote:What, laddie, then we'd hae nae haggis for Bobbie Burns day! :(

Awe rite, aam gonnae pit thes post in a leid 'at ye scotsmen can kin, alrecht?

Noo, we americans ur huir uv a upsit at whit yoo've dain. yoo've released a violent criminal. nevermin' th' fact 'at th' trial was flimsy, mah gut says he was guilty, an' that's evidence enaw! also, some americans died, which gi'es america th' reit tae overrule yer sovereignty. it's aw in th' manual.
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:16 pm

Geniasis wrote:
Coccygia wrote:What, laddie, then we'd hae nae haggis for Bobbie Burns day! :(

Awe rite, aam gonnae pit thes post in a leid 'at ye scotsmen can kin, alrecht?

Noo, we americans ur huir uv a upsit at whit yoo've dain. yoo've released a violent criminal. nevermin' th' fact 'at th' trial was flimsy, mah gut says he was guilty, an' that's evidence enaw! also, some americans died, which gi'es america th' reit tae overrule yer sovereignty. it's aw in th' manual.

Ach that dunnea seem fair at 'ool why're the americans been' so scunnert.
Official Nation States Trainer
Factbook:http://nationstates.wikia.com/wiki/User:Dawoad
Alliances:The Hegemony, The GDF, SCUTUM

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:21 pm

DaWoad wrote:Ach that dunnea seem fair at 'ool why're the americans been' so scunnert.

Swatch, dornt gie aw butthurt wi' me, aam jist tellin' ye what's in th' manual!

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:37 pm

Geniasis wrote:
DaWoad wrote:Ach that dunnea seem fair at 'ool why're the americans been' so scunnert.

Swatch, dornt gie aw butthurt wi' me, aam jist tellin' ye what's in th' manual!

heh heh heh heh
ach laddie I doo apologize fur mah farardness I wasna an' wouldna thinking o blamin yu.

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:41 pm

DaWoad wrote:heh heh heh heh
ach laddie I doo apologize fur mah farardness I wasna an' wouldna thinking o blamin yu.

Nah, dornt fash yerse abit it. Bluntness is a quality we admire haur in America.

Fancy a haggis?

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:23 pm

Chrobalta wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:I at first agreed with the decision. But now it's been more than three months and I recall reading somewhere that he may still be alive.

He is probably going to live for a lot longer than they said he was.

We can't accurately predict when someone with a fatal disease is going to die.

Our government demands that hospice doctors guarantee a date of death for the terminally ill before they release funding for end-of-life care (and before they allow prolonged use of morphine and other addictive painkillers).

If the doctor guesses wrong, he or she is in trouble. Too many wrong guesses, and their program can lose funding.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Yootwopia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Yootwopia » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:18 pm

I'm sorry but you guys are writing in some kind of horrendous dialect mismatch that could only come between the bastard offspring of a Glaswegian and someone from Fife, raised in Edinburgh and who holidayed in the Orkney Isles -_-
Technically a Polanski.

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:34 am

Yootwopia wrote:I'm sorry but you guys are writing in some kind of horrendous dialect mismatch that could only come between the bastard offspring of a Glaswegian and someone from Fife, raised in Edinburgh and who holidayed in the Orkney Isles -_-

Impossible. My dialect translator comes from a '.uk' website. I can't be bothered to write out the mathematical equation that makes it infallible, but it involves the square root of negative one.

So beware, bitches. :P

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:15 am

Isn't that guy, like, you know, 90? The hell difference does it make where he finally croaks? I mean, what's gonna do that we need to throw him in jail to protect ourselves from?

And of course, we have no right to tell the Scots to do anything at all.

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:30 am

Geniasis wrote:
Yootwopia wrote:I'm sorry but you guys are writing in some kind of horrendous dialect mismatch that could only come between the bastard offspring of a Glaswegian and someone from Fife, raised in Edinburgh and who holidayed in the Orkney Isles -_-

Impossible. My dialect translator comes from a '.uk' website. I can't be bothered to write out the mathematical equation that makes it infallible, but it involves the square root of negative one.

So beware, bitches. :P

You have a translator? Gah my yearly trip to Scotland can never compete. I surrender sir, you have won ;)

North Suran
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Suran » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:04 am

Greater Americania wrote:If he would have pulled that crap here in Texas, he would have been executed like he should have been and this sort of horrendous blunder would never have occurred in the first place. Why must Europe be so backwards?

Neu Mitanni wrote:As for NS, his latest statement is grounded in ignorance and contrary to fact, much to the surprise of all NSGers.

Equimanthon
Diplomat

Founded: May 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Equimanthon » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:09 am

Greater Americania wrote:To my understanding, Americans were massacred as well by that muslim. So, yeah, we have something to say about it. I already think that it's ridiculous and backwards that the UK has banned the death penalty, but something is severely wrong when one, especially a muslim foreigner, can go there and murder some 250 people and get released later on with the excuse that he'll probably die soon anyways.

*Shakes head at Britain*

Oh for FUCK'S sake! It wasn't the British government that released him! It was the fucking Scots! Is it that hard to fucking grasp?
Eternal Yerushalayim wrote:Labour deserves the skeleton of Ramsay Macdonald as its leader.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General