NATION

PASSWORD

Hong Kong II - Ragnarök

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

I believe..

It will all die out and HK will slowly be subsumed into an authoritarian China
21%
It will all die out but international pressure will come to bear on China to change
4%
It will continue yet HK will slowly be subsumed into an authoritarian China
34%
It will continue and international pressure will come to bear on China to change
14%
Shit's going down yo'
13%
Hasselhoff will wake from his slumber and the chosen one will rise again
7%
I like clicking polls.. I mean, a bit like democracy I guess.. but i just like clicking polls
6%
Other
2%

Total votes : 547

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Bombadil » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:16 am

Well the Czechs have a lot of experience in terms of the consequences of letting authoritarian nations get away with increasingly belligerent behaviour.

The struggle of man against power is the struggle of memory against forgetting - Milan Kundera
Last edited by Bombadil on Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Glorious Hong Kong
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 01, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious Hong Kong » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:10 am

Australian journalist says he fled China after authorities threatened to detain his teenage daughter

Australians are not safe in China. They are likely not safe in Hong Kong. The safety and wellbeing of foreigners in HK and China is predicated on good diplomatic relations between China and the foreigners' countries of origin.
LIBERATE HONG KONG. REVOLUTION OF OUR TIMES. CCP DELENDA EST.
VIVE LE FRANCE. JE SUIS SAMUEL PATY. I STAND WITH EUROPE AND ISRAEL AGAINST RADICAL ISLAM.
ALL LIVES MATTER.
Wuhan coronavirus is racist but Japanese encephalitis is A-OK. The CCP has nothing to do with this double standard whatsoever. Nothing to see here.
The case against communism
Definition of radical Islam

Feline Goetland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 09, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Feline Goetland » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:14 am

Glorious Hong Kong wrote:Australian journalist says he fled China after authorities threatened to detain his teenage daughter

Australians are not safe in China. They are likely not safe in Hong Kong. The safety and wellbeing of foreigners in HK and China is predicated on good diplomatic relations between China and the foreigners' countries of origin.

Yup. Foreigners are really not safe in China, Hong Kong and Macau these days.
Goetland is not China.

China as a state is inherently evil which needs to be rectified by oppressed nations controlled by it regaining our righteous independence just like the independence of Finland, Baltic States, Poland and Ukraine from iterations of the Russian empire.

No more anti-Anglo, antisemitic and anti-Japanese nonsense, no more communist party, no more theft of wealth from Wu-speaking lands by Beijing, no more Boxer Rebellion-style xenophobia and it’s modern successors. America, Israel and Japan are inherently awesome.

-Astoria-
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 27, 2019
Left-wing Utopia

Postby -Astoria- » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:24 am

Feline Goetland wrote:
Glorious Hong Kong wrote:Australian journalist says he fled China after authorities threatened to detain his teenage daughter

Yup. Foreigners are really not safe in China, Hong Kong and Macau these days.

No one is at this point, really.
                                                      Republic of Astoria | Pobolieth Asdair                                                      
Bedhent cewsel ein gweisiau | Our deeds shall speak
IC: FactbooksLocationEmbassiesFAQIntegrity | OOC: CCL's VP • 9th in NSFB#110/10: DGES
 ⌜✉⌟ TV1 News | 2023-04-11  ▶ ⬤──────── (LIVE) |  Headlines  Winter out; spring in for public parks • Environment ministry announces A₤300m in renewables subsidies • "Not enough," say unions on A₤24m planned Govt cost-of-living salary supplement |  Weather  Liskerry ⛅ 13° • Altas ⛅ 10° • Esterpine ☀ 11° • Naltgybal ☁ 14° • Ceirtryn ⛅ 19° • Bynscel ☀ 11° • Lyteel ☔ 9° |  Traffic  ROADWORKS: WRE expwy towards Port Trelyn closed; use Routes P294 northbound; P83 southbound 

Glorious Hong Kong
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious Hong Kong » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:55 pm

Hong Kong leader supports police decision to recognise only gov’t-registered journalists despite pledge last October

Hong Kong’s Chief Executive Carrie Lam has backed a controversial new police decision to recognise journalists only from government-registered news outlets, saying the system is “objective and open” and would not erode press freedom.

STOP. FUCKING. LYING. YOU PIECE OF SHIT.

In a Facebook post published early Friday, Lam said she had to “get it off her chest,” after reading about the police move and subsequent criticism.

I can't wait to get YOU off MY chest. Bitch.

internationally known media

CGTN? PRESS TV? TRTWorld? Fucking RT?

While police said the new policy would keep “self-proclaimed journalists” away from protest sites, journalists decried what they saw as government vetting of the press and a “serious erosion” of press freedom.

Police complained of “fake reporters” during widespread pro-democracy protests which convulsed the city last year, while journalists said officers had in some cases obstructed or harassed them.

The new rules mean unregistered journalists can no longer cover police briefings. Opponents of the change also said unregistered reporters covering incidents in public areas may face prosecution for illegal assembly or breaching Covid-19 social distancing restrictions.

HASHTAG: JOURNALISM IS NOT A CRIME.
VIVE LE FRANCE. JE SUIS SAMUEL PATY. I STAND WITH EUROPE AND ISRAEL AGAINST RADICAL ISLAM.
ALL LIVES MATTER.
Wuhan coronavirus is racist but Japanese encephalitis is A-OK. The CCP has nothing to do with this double standard whatsoever. Nothing to see here.

Glorious Hong Kong
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Glorious Hong Kong » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:45 am

ALL LIVES MATTER.

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:53 pm

Glorious Hong Kong wrote:Teacher disqualified for 'promoting Hong Kong independence'

They're not even pretending anymore.

CY Leung is being a complete twat for no apparent reason, he's no longer in power, he doesn't need to but he's spearheading the rooting out of any teacher with an opinion. He's set up a fund specifically to do so and is suing some body to release names, which given the courts these days he'll probably win.

This is the same guy who posted on WeChat naming companies advertising in Apple Daily and calling for a China boycott. He's just sticking his nose in for no reason though probably as revenge for the '14 protests.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Sungoldy-China
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 15, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Sungoldy-China » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:48 pm

It always feel wonderful When the freedom and democracy call by America’s fell apart.

Whenever I see new news in Hong Kong, it makes me happier to have another drink.
every religious idea and every idea of God is unutterable vileness ... of the most dangerous kind, 'contagion' of the most abominable kind
"every religious idea and every idea of God is unutterable vileness ... of the most dangerous kind, 'contagion' of the most abominable kind. Millions of sins, filthy deeds, acts of violence and physical contagions ... are far less dangerous than the subtle, spiritual idea of God decked out in the smartest ideological costumes ..."

Northern Davincia
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Davincia » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:06 pm

Sungoldy-China wrote:It always feel wonderful When the freedom and democracy call by America’s fell apart.

Whenever I see new news in Hong Kong, it makes me happier to have another drink.

What does freedom and democracy mean to the Chinese?
Hoppean Libertarian, Acolyte of von Mises, Protector of Our Sacred Liberties
Economic Left/Right: 9.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05
Conserative Morality wrote:"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Hoppe."

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:16 pm

Sungoldy-China wrote:It always feel wonderful When the freedom and democracy call by America’s fell apart.

What does this even mean?

Willtime
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Willtime » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:52 pm

Northern Davincia wrote:

What does freedom and democracy mean to the Chinese?

We Chinese think freedom and democracy are important,too.
But many of us have different standards from American.

A analogy(not so correct, but similar in some way) : What will you feel when a robber shout to you angrily because you dont do as he asks and escape from his hand? If the robber praises you highly, then that is the problem.
When you dont like someone ,being hated by that one will make you happy,because it looks like you do some thing to hurt that one.

I dont know why he dont like America , but America is not so perfect to make everyone like it,right?

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:00 am

Willtime wrote:
Northern Davincia wrote:What does freedom and democracy mean to the Chinese?

A analogy(not so correct, but similar in some way) : What will you feel when a robber shout to you angrily because you dont do as he asks and escape from his hand? If the robber praises you highly, then that is the problem.
When you dont like someone ,being hated by that one will make you happy,because it looks like you do some thing to hurt that one.

I dont know why he dont like America , but America is not so perfect to make everyone like it,right?

Well quite a lot of Chinese, if not Asians as a whole, have been sold the lie that they cannot handle democracy, that society needs a heavy degree of control or chaos will ensue. And the phrase 'fuckdoms' is around in China as a form of disdain for the idea of freedoms that HKers have been fighting for. Obviously a lot of this is down to the very same propaganda that has many Chinese dismissing HK as simply a US-funded protest, which it's not.

HKers know exactly what they're fighting for regardless of where support happens to come from.

十年

Willtime
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 17, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Willtime » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:54 am

Bombadil wrote:
Willtime wrote:

Well quite a lot of Chinese, if not Asians as a whole, have been sold the lie that they cannot handle democracy, that society needs a heavy degree of control or chaos will ensue. And the phrase 'fuckdoms' is around in China as a form of disdain for the idea of freedoms that HKers have been fighting for. Obviously a lot of this is down to the very same propaganda that has many Chinese dismissing HK as simply a US-funded protest, which it's not.

HKers know exactly what they're fighting for regardless of where support happens to come from.

There are too many kinds of democracy ,each of them has its supporters.
And all hate other kinds of democracy ,in their heart.
Many Chinese think they already have their democracy now.

Is there a kind of democracy is more democrazy than others?
Yes,there is. And this is the end of consensus.

New Visayan Islands
Game Moderator

Founded: Jan 31, 2017

Postby New Visayan Islands » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:12 am

Bombadil wrote:
Willtime wrote:

coofLKYcoof
coofMarcoscoof
coofDutertecoof

No, seriously: if the comments section of any Filipino news outlet is any indication, a good number of Filipinos would not be averse to licking boots.

BUT I DIGRESS.

Genivaria wrote:

My guess is that they're cheering because the chaos in America vindicates their notion that freedom and democracy isn't worth it.
Let "¡Viva la Libertad!" be a cry of Eternal Defiance to the Jackboot.
My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

For details on the man behind NVI, click here.

The New California Republic
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 06, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The New California Republic » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:15 am

Genivaria wrote:

It's just a really poor level of English that is rendering the statement incomprehensible.
Last edited by Sigmund Freud on Sat Sep 23, 1939 2:23 am, edited 999 times in total.

The Irradiated Wasteland of The New California Republic: depicting the expanded NCR, several years after the total victory over Caesar's Legion, and the annexation of New Vegas and its surrounding areas.

White-collared conservatives flashing down the street
Pointing their plastic finger at me
They're hoping soon, my kind will drop and die
But I'm going to wave my freak flag high
Wave on, wave on
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:36 am

New Visayan Islands wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

coofLKYcoof
coofMarcoscoof
coofDutertecoof

No, seriously: if the comments section of any Filipino news outlet is any indication, a good number of Filipinos would not be averse to licking boots.

BUT I DIGRESS.

It's a risk in any society to be honest, but it's been sold very successfully in Asia. I don't know if it emanates from environmental turbulence, the enormous dependence of stability around an unstable environment. I'm sure there's a thesis on this somewhere. LKY talked of the air-conditioned society, that air-conditioning is the single factor that allows Singapore to work, and this leads into a carefully air-conditioned society approach.

In China the concept of luan or chaos over stability is important, and so it's easy to feed the line of stability to push for heightened societal control against the risk of chaos.

十年

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:42 pm

Looks like Thailand is taking a leaf from China's book on repressing public protest..

Thailand’s government has banned gatherings of five or more people and the publication of news or online messages that could harm national security early on Thursday under an emergency decree to end Bangkok street protests.

Authorities also arrested two leaders of anti-government protests, Arnon Nampa and Panupong Jadnok, early on Thursday, the Thai Lawyers for Human Rights group said. Police made no immediate comment.

“Authorities arrested Arnon and Panupong at 5am,” the rights group said, adding that Arnon was arrested over a speech he had given in the northern city of Chiang Mai. It said the reason for Panupong’s arrest was not clear.

Protests in Thailand have escalated for three months and protesters set up camp outside Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha’s offices to demand his resignation late on Wednesday. The government said it also acted after demonstrators obstructed a royal motorcade.

“It is extremely necessary to introduce an urgent measure to end this situation effectively and promptly to maintain peace and order,” state television announced.

There is a form of alliance between HK and Thailand known as the Milk Tea Alliance.

Shortly after, a most unlikely coalition called the “Milk Tea Alliance” was formed. It was also an attempt to combat China’s immense influence, but rather than being a macro-politics decision made at the top, it was a self-initiated and spontaneous bottom-up effort.

For the first time, netizens from Thailand, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and other Asian countries, joined forces to hit back at China’s huge online army in an internet war.

But the outcome was a surprising landslide victory by the humorous Thai netizens, who wowed the whole world with their hilarious comebacks.

When Chinese netizens attacked Thailand for being “backwards” and “poor”, Thai netizens replied: “Our country is poor, but your country is pooh!” This referred to Winnie the Pooh, who is banned in China because of memes comparing the cartoon character to Xi Jinping.

While the Chinese tried to cause offence by criticising the Thai government for corruption, gleeful Thai netizens only responded with agreement: “Say it louder!”

To the now-classic Chinese insult “NMSL” (Your Mum is Dead), Thai youngsters laughed that they had at least 20 mothers, taking the opportunity to poke fun at their own king’s rumoured collection of mistresses.

And when told their view on Taiwan and Hong Kong stemmed from their lack of knowledge of Chinese history, Thai netizens simply retorted: “You mean Tiananmen Square?” in reference to censorship of the 1989 massacre.

Soon, netizens from Hong Kong and Taiwan started using the hashtag #nnevvy to aid their Thai supporters. The #MilkTeaAlliance was proclaimed, earning its name from the three nation’s famous iced milk teas, a beverage which is not a tradition in China.

十年

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:44 pm

Guess who got chat access suspended from a game I play regularly that recently got bought out by Tencent for saying the term "Improper China"?

This guy.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:58 pm

New haven america wrote:Guess who got chat access suspended from a game I play regularly that recently got bought out by Tencent for saying the term "Improper China"?

This guy.

Congrats, China banned people from playing global MMRPGs a while back so the walling off of the Internet continues. Most of my friends and I deleted WeChat a long time ago.

十年

New haven america
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 08, 2012
Left-Leaning College State

Postby New haven america » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:12 pm

Bombadil wrote:
New haven america wrote:Guess who got chat access suspended from a game I play regularly that recently got bought out by Tencent for saying the term "Improper China"?

This guy.

Congrats, China banned people from playing global MMRPGs a while back so the walling off of the Internet continues. Most of my friends and I deleted WeChat a long time ago.

The funny part was that the topic was people thinking Tencent weren't gonna be changing the rules of the game.

Well that was a lie, as proven by 1 term getting me an almost 2 week chat suspension.

Edit: lol, the justification from the support team I'm getting is hilarious.

"You can't talk about things not related to the game."

All I did was talk about Tencent, the new owners of the game.

"Yeah, well, uh-uh... You can't talk about things that aren't in-game. Ban stays."
Last edited by New haven america on Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Human of the male variety
Will accept TGs
Char/Axis 2024

That's all folks~

Slunsko
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 14, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Slunsko » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:40 am

Free and sovereign Hong Kong, free and sovereign Macau. And of course break up the PRC into various self-identified regions.

As someone who supports Silesian nationhood, I support Hong Kong nationhood.
Ślůnsko is the sovereign state of the Silesian people (Ślůnzoki/Hanysy).
Ślůnsko broke away from Poland after the COVID-19 pandemic, the fraudulent 2020 Polish presidential election, and widespread Polish presecution of the Silesian language, culture, organisations, and identity.

Ślůnsko (Silesia) is a modern and forward-looking country, proudly participating in the European Union. Ślůnsko (Silesia) firmly distances itself from Poland, a country plagued by corruption, incompetence, and social backwardness.

Albrenia
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Albrenia » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:42 am

New haven america wrote:
Bombadil wrote:

The funny part was that the topic was people thinking Tencent weren't gonna be changing the rules of the game.

Well that was a lie, as proven by 1 term getting me an almost 2 week chat suspension.

Edit: lol, the justification from the support team I'm getting is hilarious.

"You can't talk about things not related to the game."

All I did was talk about Tencent, the new owners of the game.

"Yeah, well, uh-uh... You can't talk about things that aren't in-game. Ban stays."

Which game was this?

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Postby Bombadil » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:53 pm

I'm getting to the point that I really need to plan my exit strategy if it all goes down this year..

Beijing is stepping up the militarisation of its southeast coast as it prepares for a possible invasion of Taiwan, military observers and sources have said.

The People’s Liberation Army has been upgrading its missile bases, and one Beijing-based military source said it has deployed its most advanced hypersonic missile the DF-17 to the area.

“The DF-17 hypersonic missile will gradually replace the old DF-11s and DF-15s that were deployed in the southeast region for decades,” the source, who requested anonymity, because of the sensitivity of the topic. “The new missile has a longer range and is able to hit targets more accurately.”

“Every rocket force brigade in Fujian and Guangdong is now fully equipped,” he said.

“The size of some of the missile bases in the Eastern and Southern theatre commands have even doubled in recent years, showing the PLA is stepping up preparations for a war targeting Taiwan.”

On Monday, retired major general Wang Zaixi, who once led the mainland’s semi-governmental organisation for managing ties with Taiwan, described the recent exercises as “unprecedented”.

“Until today, the possibility of peaceful reunification was slim,” he told Chinese news site Guancha.cn. “The live-fire military exercises showed it is just one step away to actual combat.”

十年

Diahon
Senator

Founded: Apr 01, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Diahon » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:57 pm

Jesus fucking Christ, they want to vaporize Taiwan for what? What's the fucking point? Bragging rights? "WE KILLED OFF MILLIONS OF UPPITY REBELS FUCK YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH --"

This is so hard to comprehend.

Picairn
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Picairn » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:32 pm

Bombadil wrote:I'm getting to the point that I really need to plan my exit strategy if it all goes down this year..

Beijing is stepping up the militarisation of its southeast coast as it prepares for a possible invasion of Taiwan, military observers and sources have said.

The People’s Liberation Army has been upgrading its missile bases, and one Beijing-based military source said it has deployed its most advanced hypersonic missile the DF-17 to the area.

“The DF-17 hypersonic missile will gradually replace the old DF-11s and DF-15s that were deployed in the southeast region for decades,” the source, who requested anonymity, because of the sensitivity of the topic. “The new missile has a longer range and is able to hit targets more accurately.”

“Every rocket force brigade in Fujian and Guangdong is now fully equipped,” he said.

“The size of some of the missile bases in the Eastern and Southern theatre commands have even doubled in recent years, showing the PLA is stepping up preparations for a war targeting Taiwan.”

On Monday, retired major general Wang Zaixi, who once led the mainland’s semi-governmental organisation for managing ties with Taiwan, described the recent exercises as “unprecedented”.

“Until today, the possibility of peaceful reunification was slim,” he told Chinese news site Guancha.cn. “The live-fire military exercises showed it is just one step away to actual combat.”

A Chinese invasion of Taiwan will escalate into WW3.
Picairn's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Minister: Edward H. Cornell
WA Ambassador: John M. Terry (Active)
Factbook | Constitution | Newspaper
Social democrat, passionate political observer, and naval warfare enthusiast.
More NSG-y than NSG veterans
♛ The Empire of Picairn ♛
-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-—————————-✯ ✯ ✯ ✯ ✯-
General (Brevet) of the North Pacific Army, COO of Warzone Trinidad

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General