NATION

PASSWORD

TET: May - Mexico, Mothers, Memorials

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby USS Monitor » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:11 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
USS Monitor wrote:
I've been to Antietam a few times. Worth seeing, but you don't need more than a day.

Lots of Revolutionary War stuff up here in Mass, but it's very different from the big battlefields-turn-historical-parks like Antietam or Gettysburg.

I haven't spent a whole lot of time in New England, unfortunately. The South has a lot of historic sights though.

Most places do have historic sites, just different kinds of history depending where you go. The South has a bunch of Civil War battlefields I wouldn't mind visiting, plus old cities like Savannah and New Orleans.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:13 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Been to Antietam, Fredericksburg, Petersburg, Chancellorsville/The Wilderness and Spotsylvania. I lived for a number of years in Morristown, NJ, quite close to where George and the Army camped. There's not much to see, really, though Fort Nonsense was close to my house. It was built partly as make-work for the troops and partly to keep an eye out for the British sallying from the direction of New York.

I remember being at the Bloody Angle and it was a beautiful summer day, wildflowers blooming in the grass, trees all around. It was hard to imagine thousands of men trying to kill each other in that idyllic place.

I have taken the kids to jockey hollow to hike, there are a couple reconstructed cabins, and a small farm but that is about it. Lovely place for a spring or fall hike

Why are battlefields great for hiking? I've hiked in the area near Harper's Ferry before, and it's breathtakinly beautiful.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:14 pm

USS Monitor wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:I haven't spent a whole lot of time in New England, unfortunately. The South has a lot of historic sights though.

Most places do have historic sites, just different kinds of history depending where you go. The South has a bunch of Civil War battlefields I wouldn't mind visiting, plus old cities like Savannah and New Orleans.

The South does have most of the major battlefields outside of Gettysburg.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:14 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Been to Antietam, Fredericksburg, Petersburg, Chancellorsville/The Wilderness and Spotsylvania. I lived for a number of years in Morristown, NJ, quite close to where George and the Army camped. There's not much to see, really, though Fort Nonsense was close to my house. It was built partly as make-work for the troops and partly to keep an eye out for the British sallying from the direction of New York.

I remember being at the Bloody Angle and it was a beautiful summer day, wildflowers blooming in the grass, trees all around. It was hard to imagine thousands of men trying to kill each other in that idyllic place.

I have taken the kids to jockey hollow to hike, there are a couple reconstructed cabins, and a small farm but that is about it. Lovely place for a spring or fall hike

It's a very pretty place. I haven't lived there in over ... :blink: ... 30 years but I liked Morristown. I even did little Ancestry family trees for several of the families that lived in the house. Did that for my half of a brownstone in Park slope, too, and this house in Denver. It's interesting to think of the people who've passed through the place you live.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:15 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

Why are battlefields great for hiking? I've hiked in the area near Harper's Ferry before, and it's breathtakinly beautiful.

Partly, I think, because in the US, at least, the Parks Department does a very good job of maintaining them.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:15 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

It's a very pretty place. I haven't lived there in over ... :blink: ... 30 years but I liked Morristown. I even did little Ancestry family trees for several of the families that lived in the house. Did that for my half of a brownstone in Park slope, too, and this house in Denver. It's interesting to think of the people who've passed through the place you live.

It is. Just thinking about the people who walked there years or decades before you were born.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:15 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

Gettysburg is beautiful as well. I think it's because you need space and views to fight a battle, very difficult to maneuver and control a battle in a tangle of woods or mountains
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:16 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Why are battlefields great for hiking? I've hiked in the area near Harper's Ferry before, and it's breathtakinly beautiful.

Partly, I think, because in the US, at least, the Parks Department does a very good job of maintaining them.

That they do, especially with their horrible, terribly underfunded budget. Or that's what I've heard anyways.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:17 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Why are battlefields great for hiking? I've hiked in the area near Harper's Ferry before, and it's breathtakinly beautiful.

Indeed, park service is one group of folks i don't mind giving money too.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

New Emeline
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 16, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Emeline » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:18 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Partly, I think, because in the US, at least, the Parks Department does a very good job of maintaining them.

That they do, especially with their horrible, terribly underfunded budget. Or that's what I've heard anyways.

Our landscapes and national parks are one of the best things about the US in my opinion. Pity they aren't taken care of.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:18 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:

Gettysburg is beautiful as well. I think it's because you need space and views to fight a battle, very difficult to maneuver and control a battle in a tangle of woods or mountains

That would make sense. I've always wanted to go to Gettysburg, but have never had the opportunity to go there.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

New Emeline
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Emeline » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:20 pm

Government departments I actually like:
National Parks Service
NASA
CDC seems good
uhhh what else
Last edited by New Emeline on Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:20 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Partly, I think, because in the US, at least, the Parks Department does a very good job of maintaining them.

Yeah, the Park Rangers are good people from what I've heard. They need a better budget. They truly need the money, not some other agency.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

New Emeline
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Emeline » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:22 pm

I need to visit more national parks.
Glacier is my favorite so far.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:23 pm

New Emeline wrote:Government departments I actually like:
National Parks Service
NASA
CDC seems good
uhhh what else

Fund NASA. They need money to find us a way off this rock. Earth is dying, and it's probably too late to fix anything, so we need a backup plan for when climate change strikes.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

New Emeline
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Emeline » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:24 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
New Emeline wrote:Government departments I actually like:
National Parks Service
NASA
CDC seems good
uhhh what else

Fund NASA. They need money to find us a way off this rock. Earth is dying, and it's probably too late to fix anything, so we need a backup plan for when climate change strikes.

I agree. And I don't want corporations to be the only ones with a foothold in space.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:24 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

Yeah, the Park Rangers are good people from what I've heard. They need a better budget. They truly need the money, not some other agency.

All the federal parks i have been too are pretty well maintained. Downtown we have the statue of liberty and federal hall, both are gorgeous.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:24 pm

New Emeline wrote:I need to visit more national parks.

I love Utah as a whole. Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument is beautiful, in that desert way. I would love to go to Glacier before it melts.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

USS Monitor
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jul 01, 2015

Postby USS Monitor » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:25 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

Harper's Ferry is nice.
Don't take life so serious... it isn't permanent... RIP Dyakovo and Ashmoria
19th century steamships may be harmful or fatal if swallowed. In case of accidental ingestion, please seek immediate medical assistance.
༄༅། །འགྲོ་བ་མི་རིགས་ག་ར་དབང་ཆ་འདྲ་མཉམ་འབད་སྒྱེཝ་ལས་ག་ར་གིས་གཅིག་གིས་གཅིག་ལུ་སྤུན་ཆའི་དམ་ཚིག་བསྟན་དགོས།

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:25 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:Gettysburg is beautiful as well. I think it's because you need space and views to fight a battle, very difficult to maneuver and control a battle in a tangle of woods or mountains

That would make sense. I've always wanted to go to Gettysburg, but have never had the opportunity to go there.

Better hurry, Secretary of the Interior Zinke has authorized the sale of 75% of the park to a developer. Something to do with Walmart or one of them stores. I'm kidding, I'm kidding!

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:25 pm

New Emeline wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Fund NASA. They need money to find us a way off this rock. Earth is dying, and it's probably too late to fix anything, so we need a backup plan for when climate change strikes.

I agree. And I don't want corporations to be the only ones with a foothold in space.

Yeah. NASA is the future. Or at the very least, SpaceX.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Yeah, the Park Rangers are good people from what I've heard. They need a better budget. They truly need the money, not some other agency.

All the federal parks i have been too are pretty well maintained. Downtown we have the statue of liberty and federal hall, both are gorgeous.

They do a good job with what they have, yeah.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

New Emeline
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Emeline » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:25 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
New Emeline wrote:I need to visit more national parks.

I love Utah as a whole. Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument is beautiful, in that desert way. I would love to go to Glacier before it melts.

There are still some glaciers there. I think the main appeal there is the mountains though. They're just breathtaking. Especially Going To The Sun Road.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:26 pm

Goodness me, I need to work with my poor circulation. I get chilled too easily and that's not good. I may act like a cat but I lack the floof cats have.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:28 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Goodness me, I need to work with my poor circulation. I get chilled too easily and that's not good. I may act like a cat but I lack the floof cats have.

,or move to a warmer climate, this winter is never going to end.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:28 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Goodness me, I need to work with my poor circulation. I get chilled too easily and that's not good. I may act like a cat but I lack the floof cats have.

,or move to a warmer climate, this winter is never going to end.

Tell me about it. It certainly seems and feels that way.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General