NATION

PASSWORD

Should Puerto Rico be granted statehood?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should the US grant statehood to Puerto Rico?

Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes : 207

Prairieland
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Prairieland » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:18 pm

The Rich Port wrote:I remember because we were blissful about getting the Fortaleza back from PPD with Foffy...

How is he generally remembered on the Island? The only real point of reference most mainlanders have is his speech at the National Party Convention, which was extremely well-received. Of course, the conventions're all just smoke and mirrors, but at the time I recall a lot of Hispanics, even Mexicans and Columbians, being quite enthusiastic about the possibility of a national Hispanic conservative movement being led by Puerto Ricans.
Pro: Skater II for Sony PlayStation
Anti: gua & Barbuda

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:18 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Anyway, they voted for it, yeah?

So I suppose they should go ahead and get it.

That referendum has been invalidated.

Ah.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:19 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:
Seeing as how I'm PNP, you bet your sweet ass I remember. :p

I remember because we were blissful about getting the Fortaleza back from PPD with Foffy...

Of course, we all know how that turned out.

I worked with the Fortuno administration at Fortaleza for 10 months. His family, especially his kids and the first lady, Luce Vela, were good people. Sadly, that didn't translate to his governing of the Island.

Of course, Foffy wasn't the one who brought up the charges against Acevedo Vila. That was Romero Barcelo's doing. :p

You worked for him? :blink: I thought you were a Spaniard.

*Jim Cornette face*

Well, no, obviously. Why should they take the best available option for everyone?

We should really listen to the guy who lost the last election and libertarians on their concerns that include possibly sabotaged ballots and not keeping politicians to their word.
Last edited by The Rich Port on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:19 pm

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Ah.

Yup. I'm not surprised.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:19 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Why?

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:20 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
I worked with the Fortuno administration at Fortaleza for 10 months. His family, especially his kids and the first lady, Luce Vela, were good people. Sadly, that didn't translate to his governing of the Island.

Of course, Foffy wasn't the one who brought up the charges against Acevedo Vila. That was Romero Barcelo's doing. :p

You worked for him? :blink: I thought you were a Spaniard.

*Jim Cornette face*

LOL, yes, I am, and yes, I did. :)
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Prairieland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Prairieland » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:20 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:Why?

Deliberate obstruction by the opposition and a "victory" too marginal to really mean anything.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:21 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Why?

For what I can gather, it had something to do with voter turn out and that the results weren't, according to many, clear enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Ric ... ndum,_2012
Slava Ukraini

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:24 pm

Prairieland wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:I remember because we were blissful about getting the Fortaleza back from PPD with Foffy...

How is he generally remembered on the Island? The only real point of reference most mainlanders have is his speech at the National Party Convention, which was extremely well-received. Of course, the conventions're all just smoke and mirrors, but at the time I recall a lot of Hispanics, even Mexicans and Columbians, being quite enthusiastic about the possibility of a national Hispanic conservative movement being led by Puerto Ricans.

Honestly, he's a lot like Obama. He's seen as somewhat of a disappointment, but nobody can really point out what his problem really was. People point fingers, but the problem is hard to understand. I always had a feeling the guy was bad news, and I intensely dislike the conservatism of the PNP. I can't really speak on him because I don't really keep up that much with the politics since I abandoned the landscape completely.

Also... I just found out Padilla is the incumbent.

... *sigh*

Mike the Progressive wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Why?

Because Padilla opened his big mouth and shit all over the other half of the island's votes because the half that was supposed to support the status quo didn't vote.

... Although, I have to admit, that is kind of weird.
Last edited by The Rich Port on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:26 pm

The Rich Port wrote:Because Padilla opened his big mouth and shit all over the other half of the island's votes because the half that was supposed to support the status quo didn't vote.

Is anyone surprised that Garcia Padilla did this? He's pro ELA. Of course he was going to do all he could, along with his goons Bahtia and whoever the fuck else is at the help pf the PPD right now, to des-estimate the results of the 2012 status referendum.
Slava Ukraini

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:31 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:Because Padilla opened his big mouth and shit all over the other half of the island's votes because the half that was supposed to support the status quo didn't vote.

Is anyone surprised that Garcia Padilla did this? He's pro ELA. Of course he was going to do all he could, along with his goons Bahtia and whoever the fuck else is at the help pf the PPD right now, to des-estimate the results of the 2012 status referendum.

I'm really hoping they'll snap out of this obsession with the ELA and the pipe dream of independence and just focus on the facts... Sure, that hasn't happened for the last couple of decades... But... Maybe? ._.

I tried to get a revolution going, but I was going through puberty.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Prairieland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Prairieland » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:34 pm

The Rich Port wrote:Honestly, he's a lot like Obama.

He's seen as somewhat of a disappointment, but nobody can really point out what his problems really was.

Speaking of incumbents, what about public perception of Pierluisi? I met him briefly while in D.C. for CPAC; seemed like a nice enough guy but I was surprised how generally low-profile he was, considering his simultaneous status as a party leader and Congressman.

These probably come off as really basic questions, but it's really difficult to get any information about PR politics in a non-Spanish language that isn't strictly encyclopedic.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:36 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

I'm really hoping they'll snap out of this obsession with the ELA and the pipe dream of independence and just focus on the facts... Sure, that hasn't happened for the last couple of decades... But... Maybe? ._.

Harsh reality: ELA reached it's usefulness 20 years ago, or more. It's no longer a viable option. It no longer yields the results it once did. It wasn't a long term fix, but a stop-gap. Even Munoz Marin knew this way back in 1949.

Deep down, your average Puerto Rican knows this. Deep down, too many do not think independence is a viable option. Also, the leadership of the PIP blows. Long gone are the days of Ruben Berrios, and even Berrios was very meh. Is he still alive, BTW? I heard he had been under treatment for cancer or some such.

So what's left as an option, and a viable one? Statehood. However, that being said, even if this is the choice made by the majority of Puerto Ricans, I don't see an induction as a US state in quite a while.
Last edited by Nanatsu no Tsuki on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slava Ukraini

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:39 pm

Prairieland wrote:

He's seen as somewhat of a disappointment, but nobody can really point out what his problems really was.

Speaking of incumbents, what about public perception of Pierluisi? I met him briefly while in D.C. for CPAC; seemed like a nice enough guy but I was surprised how generally low-profile he was, considering his simultaneous status as a party leader and Congressman.

These probably come off as really basic questions, but it's really difficult to get any information about PR politics in a non-Spanish language that isn't strictly encyclopedic.

Pierluisi doesn't have what it takes to be governor. He's a nice guy, but doesn't have the cojones necessary to run. Then again, neither did Fortuno or Garcia Padilla.

What I mean to say is that I don't even think the leadership of the PNP have considered him for candidacy.

I recommend you check the English editions of some of the news papers down there. I think the PR Suntimes is up. Google them. If not, maybe the San Juan Star is back up, but I doubt it.

www.endi.com, I think, has an English version.
Slava Ukraini

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:44 pm

Prairieland wrote:

That's OK, because I'm not exactly an authority. :? I heard he caucuses with the Dems, which is weird because the PNP is on the short side of very conservative. I'm wondering how clean his hands are. In fact, I'm wondering just how clean everyone's hands are, considering that if indeed PR becomes a state, they will be directly under the jurisdiction of the federal government. We do have SOME claim to privacy and sovereignty in that we can handle our own politics to a point. I know he submitted the bill to make us a state for approval in the Senate, but with the referendum invalidated...

You're gonna get that forgetfulness with a lot of PNP and PPD cronies. They're pretty much interchangeable. If they're PNP, they're pro-statehood and conservative, if they're PPD they're pro-ELA and somewhat liberal, and the less I say about the Independents, the better, although I'm really interested that someone actually says otherwise. Have to track down that post in this thread...

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

Harsh reality: ELA reached it's usefulness 20 years ago, or more. It's no longer a viable option. It no longer yields the results it once did. It wasn't a long term fix, but a stop-gap. Even Munoz Marin knew this way back in 1949.

Deep down, your average Puerto Rican knows this. Deep down, too many do not think independence is a viable option. Also, the leadership of the PIP blows. Long gone are the days of Ruben Berrios, and even Berrios was very meh. Is he still alive, BTW? I heard he had been under treatment for cancer or some such.

So what's left as an option, and a viable one? Statehood. However, that being said, even if this is the choice made by the majority of Puerto Ricans, I don't see an induction as a US state in quite a while.

Now,

You sure you're not Boricua, Nana? :p

Yup, he's still kicking and screaming.

Really sad, considering for a while he was kind of awesome.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Prairieland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Prairieland » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:45 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Pierluisi doesn't have what it takes to be governor. He's a nice guy, but doesn't have the cojones necessary to run. Then again, neither did Fortuno or Garcia Padilla.

That seems to be the biggest difference between PR's Resident Commissioners and any other Congressman; the RC's seem to be really agreeable, intelligent guys whom make for excellent negotiators, a definite advantage insofar as committee deal-brokering is concerned. But those traits that breed an efficient RC seem to run directly contrary to effectiveness in popular campaigning and decisive executive leadership.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I recommend you check the English editions of some of the news papers down there. I think the PR Suntimes is up. Google them. If not, maybe the San Juan Star is back up, but I doubt it.

http://www.endi.com, I think, has an English version.

This is going to be an incredibly useful resource for the Latino Constituencies course I'm taking. Thanks! :lol:
Last edited by Prairieland on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:45 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Prairieland wrote:Speaking of incumbents, what about public perception of Pierluisi? I met him briefly while in D.C. for CPAC; seemed like a nice enough guy but I was surprised how generally low-profile he was, considering his simultaneous status as a party leader and Congressman.

That's OK, because I'm not exactly an authority. :? I heard he caucuses with the Dems, which is weird because the PNP is on the short side of very conservative. I'm wondering how clean his hands are. In fact, I'm wondering just how clean everyone's hands are, considering that if indeed PR becomes a state, they will be directly under the jurisdiction of the federal government. We do have SOME claim to privacy and sovereignty in that we can handle our own politics to a point. I know he submitted the bill to make us a state for approval in the Senate, but with the referendum invalidated...

You're gonna get that forgetfulness with a lot of PNP and PPD cronies. They're pretty much interchangeable. If they're PNP, they're pro-statehood and conservative, if they're PPD they're pro-ELA and somewhat liberal, and the less I say about the Independents, the better, although I'm really interested that someone actually says otherwise. Have to track down that post in this thread...

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Now,

You sure you're not Boricua, Nana? :p

Yup, he's still kicking and screaming.

Really sad, considering for a while he was kind of awesome.

Certain I'm not. Nope. Although my relationship with PR is quite close. My grandparents lived there since the late 1950s. I have family over there. I have Boricua family members and I keep my ears and eyes on news from PR. ;)
Slava Ukraini

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:49 pm

Prairieland wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Pierluisi doesn't have what it takes to be governor. He's a nice guy, but doesn't have the cojones necessary to run. Then again, neither did Fortuno or Garcia Padilla.

That seems to be the biggest difference between PR's Resident Commissioners and any other Congressman; the RC's seem to be really agreeable, intelligent guys whom make for excellent negotiators, a definite advantage insofar as committee deal-brokering is concerned. But those traits that breed an efficient RC seem to run directly contrary to decisive executive leadership.

I'll be honest. I don't think the PNP, the party to which Pierluisi belongs to, has had a decisive leader since the days of Pedro Rossello. I'm talking about the early to late 90s.

Ditto the PPD, since the days of Rafael Hernandez Colon. And therein lies the problem. To be the governor of PR, you have to be a motherfucker. I mean it. You have to be decisive and an asshole or the party members, or rather, its elite, will piss on you.

This is going to be an incredibly useful resource for the Latino Constituencies course I'm taking. Thanks! :lol:

Do check that indeed you can access these newspapers in English. I'm not entirely certain. But you're welcome. :]
Slava Ukraini

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:53 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Certain I'm not. Nope. Although my relationship with PR is quite close. My grandparents lived there since the late 1950s. I have family over there. I have Boricua family members and I keep my ears and eyes on news from PR. ;)

You'd make a great one. In fact, you ARE a great one. Fuck it. We're not a real country anyway. Anybody can be Puerto Rican.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:55 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Certain I'm not. Nope. Although my relationship with PR is quite close. My grandparents lived there since the late 1950s. I have family over there. I have Boricua family members and I keep my ears and eyes on news from PR. ;)

You'd make a great one. In fact, you ARE a great one. Fuck it. We're not a real country anyway. Anybody can be Puerto Rican.

D'awwww, thanks, pana. :p

Eh, I do believe PR has it's own identity, cultural and language-wise. All you lack is the title of 'nation' in paper. And the food... gods, the food. *drools* So delicious.

Anyway, in this whole shindig, I do believe Puerto Ricans are the ones who need to decide. Of course, after that, the dialogue begins with Congress. We'll see, I imagine.
Last edited by Nanatsu no Tsuki on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slava Ukraini

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:59 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

Eh, I do believe PR has it's own identity, cultural and language-wise. All you lack is the title of 'nation' in paper. And the food... gods, the food. *drools*

Anyway, in this whole shindig, I do believe Puerto Ricans are the ones who need to decide. Of course, after that, the dialogue begins with Congress. We'll see, I imagine.

You know who else is an honorary Puerto Rican? Duke Nukem. You should be honoured. 8)

Kind the whole reason I want it to be a state. Libertaria is kind of right: we would totally clash with the rest of the states. It's PERFECT. Yeah, we don't have Monterey Jack Cheese, but we've got stuff.

Honestly, I was always confused by that... Do we really choose, or does Congress then have to ratify our statehood?

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Prairieland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Prairieland » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:01 pm

The Rich Port wrote:I know he submitted the bill to make us a state for approval in the Senate, but with the referendum invalidated...

Probably more to save partisan face than anything. I'm sure the legislative assembly enjoys having money siphoned in gratis for infrastructure and public works projects, and this thread has served as a pretty nice indication for why no one on the mainland is in any particular rush to pop the "so when're we gonna get around to doing this whole Puerto Rico thing?" question. Except for Rick Santorum for some weird, anomalous reason.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I'll be honest. I don't think the PNP has had a decisive leader since the days of Pedro Rossello. Ditto the PPD, since the days of Rafael Hernandez Colon. And therein lies the problem.

Decisive executive leadership seems to be a thing of the past for most of the Western Hemisphere.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Do check that indeed you can access these newspapers in English. I'm not entirely certain. But you're welcome. :]

Not from that link directly, but there is an English-speaking sister site for the publication.
Last edited by Prairieland on Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:02 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Eh, I do believe PR has it's own identity, cultural and language-wise. All you lack is the title of 'nation' in paper. And the food... gods, the food. *drools*

You know who else is an honorary Puerto Rican? Duke Nukem. You should be honoured. 8)

Kind the whole reason I want it to be a state. Libertaria is kind of right: we would totally clash with the rest of the states. It's PERFECT. Yeah, we don't have Monterey Jack Cheese, but we've got stuff.

Honestly, I was always confused by that... Do we really choose, or does Congress then have to ratify our statehood?

IIRC, Congress has to ratify it. I know Obama said he would honor any decision PRicans made regarding the status of the Island, but I don't rightly know how it would work.

It's in the hands of Congress, when and if it happens. And another referendum is probably not going to happen while Garcia Padilla is governor of PR.
Slava Ukraini

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:04 pm

Prairieland wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:I know he submitted the bill to make us a state for approval in the Senate, but with the referendum invalidated...

Probably more to save partisan face than anything. I'm sure the legislative assembly enjoys having money siphoned in gratis for infrastructure and public works projects, and this thread has served as a pretty nice indication for why no one on the mainland is in any particular rush to pop the "so when're we gonna get around to doing this whole Puerto Rico thing?" question. Except for Rick Santorum for some weird, anomalous reason.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I'll be honest. I don't think the PNP has had a decisive leader since the days of Pedro Rossello. Ditto the PPD, since the days of Rafael Hernandez Colon. And therein lies the problem.

Decisive executive leadership seems to be a thing of the past for most of the Western Hemisphere.

So it seems. Back in Spain, people like Rajoy at the head of the PP clearly give credence to what you say. Decisive leadership is on the brink of extinction.
Slava Ukraini

Prairieland
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Prairieland » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:05 pm

The Rich Port wrote:Honestly, I was always confused by that... Do we really choose, or does Congress then have to ratify our statehood?

It's a two-step dance, really. Puerto Rico will need to pass a referendum whose results are non-controversially accepted as legitimate and binding; Congress then instructs PR to host a Constitutional convention, once one's been written and approved by the Legislative Assembly, a federal bill of statehood ascension can be properly acted on.
Last edited by Prairieland on Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General