NATION

PASSWORD

Language/Language Learning

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

I am...

Monolingual
24%
Bilingual
33%
Trilingual
24%
Quadlingual
7%
Pentlingual+
12%

Total votes : 173

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:51 pm

talking about correct in English has problems anyway. It is three languages all with different rules all cobbled together. like combine monopoly, poker, and checkers into ad hoc game, then complaining about following rules.
This is also why English is considered the second hardest language on earth to learn.
heck we have an an entirely superfluous letter. "C"
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Kirrig
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kirrig » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:57 pm

Sociobiology wrote:talking about correct in English has problems anyway. It is three languages all with different rules all cobbled together. like combine monopoly, poker, and checkers into ad hoc game, then complaining about following rules.
This is also why English is considered the second hardest language on earth to learn.

Who says that?
Daistallia 2104 wrote:Kirrig, since you seem to be unable to take hints, allow me make it explicitly clear - you are being ignored.

"Have you ever noticed... our caps... they have skulls on them..."
"Hans... are we the baddies?"
Milks Empire wrote:
Kirrig wrote:Do you guys know if George Bush is on NSG?
Wouldn't surprise me.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:02 am

Kirrig wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:talking about correct in English has problems anyway. It is three languages all with different rules all cobbled together. like combine monopoly, poker, and checkers into ad hoc game, then complaining about following rules.

Who says that?

Who says want?
I'm long winded you'll have to narrow it down.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Kirrig
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kirrig » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:11 am

Sociobiology wrote:
Kirrig wrote:
Who says that?

Who says want?

The second hardest language bit.
Daistallia 2104 wrote:Kirrig, since you seem to be unable to take hints, allow me make it explicitly clear - you are being ignored.

Milks Empire wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me.

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:31 am

Kirrig wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:Who says want?

A large number of teachers of "English as a second language", at least in the United States, do indeed cite similar claims. They aren't exactly unfounded, either, given how many exceptions to exceptions to exceptions to rules exist in "standard usage".

I predict that somewhere in the next couple of centuries English will become so complicated from new "rules" being constantly and arbitrarily added to it that it will simply be impossible for anyone to learn as a native language.

Daistallia 2104 wrote:-snip-

Except it's not a red herring. There was a time before the "-er" prefix was implemented to simplify the "more [adjective]" construct in select cases. Declaring the constructs that were affected by this implementation to be invalid due to not being in common usage is precisely the same as regarding any other archaic word or phrase in English as suddenly invalid. You are using a subjective and arbitrary opinion regarding "standard usage" to contradict the actually well-defined structural syntax of the English language.

Also, could you explain how the two sources you cited disprove my comparison between computer language and human language? The hypotheses regarding instinctual language and "universal grammar" actually prove my suggested model more than they disprove them. Just as computer processors have a built-in instruction set, our brains have a built-in language, at least so the two texts seem to claim. Then again, I am basing these observations on their summarizations, as I have better uses for the money I earn than to spend it on books involving hypotheses, though they do appear to be interesting reads.

This might actually be an interesting read for my side of this debate, however, as it demonstrates that there are, in all actuality, very few differences between the languages we speak and the languages our computers speak. Though the document does not make the direct claim that our languages are programming languages like I have, it does make the identical function quite clear by explaining the methods used to break down spoken languages into more regimented and procedural logic statements.

Mallorea and Riva should resign
Member of the One True Faith and Church. Join The Church of Derpy today!

Kirrig
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kirrig » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:54 am

YellowApple wrote:
Kirrig wrote:

A large number of teachers of "English as a second language", at least in the United States, do indeed cite similar claims. They aren't exactly unfounded, either, given how many exceptions to exceptions to exceptions to rules exist in "standard usage".

I predict that somewhere in the next couple of centuries English will become so complicated from new "rules" being constantly and arbitrarily added to it that it will simply be impossible for anyone to learn as a native language.

Daistallia 2104 wrote:-snip-

Except it's not a red herring. There was a time before the "-er" prefix was implemented to simplify the "more [adjective]" construct in select cases. Declaring the constructs that were affected by this implementation to be invalid due to not being in common usage is precisely the same as regarding any other archaic word or phrase in English as suddenly invalid. You are using a subjective and arbitrary opinion regarding "standard usage" to contradict the actually well-defined structural syntax of the English language.

Also, could you explain how the two sources you cited disprove my comparison between computer language and human language? The hypotheses regarding instinctual language and "universal grammar" actually prove my suggested model more than they disprove them. Just as computer processors have a built-in instruction set, our brains have a built-in language, at least so the two texts seem to claim. Then again, I am basing these observations on their summarizations, as I have better uses for the money I earn than to spend it on books involving hypotheses, though they do appear to be interesting reads.

This might actually be an interesting read for my side of this debate, however, as it demonstrates that there are, in all actuality, very few differences between the languages we speak and the languages our computers speak. Though the document does not make the direct claim that our languages are programming languages like I have, it does make the identical function quite clear by explaining the methods used to break down spoken languages into more regimented and procedural logic statements.

I reject those claims. Non-native speakers outnumber native speakers of English, if I recall correctly. It is more the language equivalent of nationalism than anything if you ask me.

That said, those that aren't Dutch/German/Scandinavian/Other European are notorious for their poor command of English when they learn. This is possibly down to a lack of borrowing on English's part. This is best illustrated with Indians vs Fijian Indians, the latter group being almost universally easier to understand. (When speaking.)

Milks Empire wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me.

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:09 am

Kirrig wrote:
YellowApple wrote:

I reject those claims. Non-native speakers outnumber native speakers of English, if I recall correctly. It is more the language equivalent of nationalism than anything if you ask me.

That said, those that aren't Dutch/German/Scandinavian/Other European are notorious for their poor command of English when they learn. This is possibly down to a lack of borrowing on English's part. This is best illustrated with Indians vs Fijian Indians, the latter group being almost universally easier to understand. (When speaking.)

Non-native speakers tend to outnumber native speakers in the vast majority of languages, or at least the more prevalent ones, English included. Additionally, English is used quite extensively internationally, hence why so many attempt to communicate with it. However, fluency is very difficult; as we are seeing with the "more easy" shebang, there are a number of complicated and seemingly-random exceptions to rules that make the difference between "technically correct" and "fluent". Combined with the enormous variety in what syllables can be spoken in an English word or phrase, I would say that few languages are actually harder to become fluent in - Chinese being the most notable of said few.

Kirrig
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kirrig » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:14 am

YellowApple wrote:
Kirrig wrote:

Non-native speakers tend to outnumber native speakers in the vast majority of languages, or at least the more prevalent ones, English included. Additionally, English is used quite extensively internationally, hence why so many attempt to communicate with it. However, fluency is very difficult; as we are seeing with the "more easy" shebang, there are a number of complicated and seemingly-random exceptions to rules that make the difference between "technically correct" and "fluent". Combined with the enormous variety in what syllables can be spoken in an English word or phrase, I would say that few languages are actually harder to become fluent in - Chinese being the most notable of said few.

Especially when the rules don't really exist and one just has to judge the correct usage. Still, second hardest is ambitious. As far as I am aware only blonde/bolnd has a gender.

Milks Empire wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me.

Lauruccia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lauruccia » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:22 am

My native language is Serbian, which practically means that I natively know about 6 languages (Serbian, Croatian, New Montenegrin, Old Montenegrin, Bosniak, Serbian Ijekavica (Bosnian) etc. are like same, few differences and that's it)

Then, I know English very well, most of the English that we learnin school I already knew. I'm learning German now and I want to learn Dzongka/Tibetan and Mandarin Chinese.

So, that means that I'm Octlingual? :D
Last edited by Lauruccia on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pawn and King
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pawn and King » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:38 am

Lauruccia wrote:My native language is Serbian, which practically means that I natively know about 6 languages (Serbian, Croatian, New Montenegrin, Old Montenegrin, Bosniak, Serbian Ijekavica (Bosnian) etc. are like same, few differences and that's it)

Then, I know English very well, most of the English that we learnin school I already knew. I'm learning German now and I want to learn Dzongka/Tibetan and Mandarin Chinese.

So, that means that I'm Octlingual? :D

I study at SSEES, and they've got different sections for Serbian, Croatian, Bosnian and Montenegrin. That's at least 4!

I can speak English, French, Russian, Italian, and I'm currently learning Farsi.

Farsi is pretty easy as languages go, the script seems to be the hardest bit about it.
Need an Assassination done? Look no further...

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:25 am

Kirrig wrote:

I had to ask because I thought you were asking about the superfluous 'C'
I'm quoting a polylinguist (14 languages) I work with. anything like language is going to be subjective. but your right it should have said 'considered by many'.
English has so many violations of syntax many would claim it has no rules, like how to pluralize.
Has emphasis and tonal variance. emphasis alone makes it very difficult for those who's native language does not have it.
English use tonal changes to indicate questions instead of particles.
English has spelling bees because spelling and pronunciation are so dissimilar.
compare strait, eight, and mate

on the other hand this also makes English a very precise language, and unlike many languages has an easy time absorbing non-English words, which is part of the reason it is so difficult.
And thanks to modern media English is incredibly wide spread.
Last edited by Sociobiology on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:26 am

Sociobiology wrote:
Kirrig wrote:

I'm quoting a polylinguist (14 languages) I work with. anything like language is going to be subjective. but your right it should have said 'considered by many'.
English has so many violations of syntax many would claim it has no rules, like how to pluralize.
Has emphasis and tonal variance. emphasis alone makes it very difficult for those who's native language does not have it.

on the other hand this also makes English a very precise language, and unlike many languages has an easy time absorbing non-English words, which is part of the reason it is so difficult.

There's a reason the venerable Stephen Fry calls it a "mongrel mouthful" - that's a great way to describe why I love English so much, tbh.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:30 am

Kirrig wrote:

Crolacia
Minister

Founded: May 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Crolacia » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:32 am

I know Croatian,English and German language. I'm planning to learn Finnish as well.

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:39 am

Sociobiology wrote:
Kirrig wrote:

To expand on that, even compare "eight" and "ate". Homophones are rampant in English, whereas they seem to be relatively rare in other languages. Using, say, Spanish as a comparison, there aren't nearly as many commonly-used words that look or sound so similar; I believe the closest to this phenomenon is "Por qué" (why) v. "porque" (because) and even that has a difference in emphases.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:56 am

YellowApple wrote:
Sociobiology wrote:I had to ask because I thought you were asking about the superfluous 'C'

To expand on that, even compare "eight" and "ate". Homophones are rampant in English, whereas they seem to be relatively rare in other languages. Using, say, Spanish as a comparison, there aren't nearly as many commonly-used words that look or sound so similar; I believe the closest to this phenomenon is "Por qué" (why) v. "porque" (because) and even that has a difference in emphases.

Compare French:

Gall, amant de la Reine, alla (tour magnanime)
Galamment de l'Arène à la Tour Magne, à Nîmes

The language is all homophones.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

YellowApple
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby YellowApple » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:59 am

Salandriagado wrote:
YellowApple wrote:

Compare French:

Yes, but at least pronunciations are relatively consistent.

Serrland
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Serrland » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:01 am

Salandriagado wrote:
YellowApple wrote:

Compare French:

Aye but at least French is better with vocal inflections as clues.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:14 am

Salandriagado wrote:
YellowApple wrote:

Compare French:

french is one of the three main contributing languages to English, the other being German and Norwegian, and with a healthy dose of Latin.

Kirrig
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kirrig » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:03 pm

And all this contribute sto my firm belief in English's ability to eat other languages.

Milks Empire wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me.

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:49 am

Kirrig wrote:And all this contribute sto my firm belief in English's ability to eat other languages.

We are the language-borg. We will consume all.
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:54 am

Going to be in Tokyo for a few hours on the 24th. Gonna learn some Japanese.
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:34 am

Arumdaum wrote:Going to be in Tokyo for a few hours on the 24th. Gonna learn some Japanese.

Aa sugoi da yo.

Varazhdin
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jul 24, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Varazhdin » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:57 am

Besides my own language, which is croatian, I also speak german and english. I have also lerned latin, old irish and spanish, but I don't speak them well enough to actually talk with someone in them. So, I guess I don't speak very many languages.

I don't know if that counts since I'm not fronm USA, but in mhigh school you can learn english or german as first foreign language (those you continue from elementary school), those two and italian as second foreign language (which you learn from the beginning), italian, french, spanish or russian as third foreign language (which you can choose in the second grade instead of informatics), and now they also introduced a one year class of slowenian. You also learn latin for first two grades. So, tecnically you can learn four foreign languages at the same time in my former high school..... :blink:

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:05 pm

Panmen wrote:So, there is controversy over the fact that many American kids are not learning languages and that they should.

Like some decent English, for example.

Personally, growing up in a bilingual country, I was basically forced to learn both Dutch and French. On top of that, I taught myself a decent bit of English during my childhood by watching BBC, Friends, etc. which gave me a head start when I finally got English in high school.

We had German too, but only enough for basic conversations. My mom watches German soaps sometimes, so that gives me a chance to polish up what little German I posess.

I also had Latin in high school, but that isn't really 100% relevant.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General