NATION

PASSWORD

Second Amendment Repeal / Gun Control

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sevvania
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 12, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Sevvania » Wed May 06, 2015 10:48 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:So in conclusion, excluding 1953-1957, the homicide rate is at the lowest point, in the United States, it has been in the last 100 years.*

You just blew meh mind.
"Humble thyself and hold thy tongue."

Current Era: 1945
NationStates Stat Card - Sevvania
OFFICIAL FACTBOOK - Sevvania
4/1/13 - Never Forget

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Wed May 06, 2015 10:57 pm

Sevvania wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:So in conclusion, excluding 1953-1957, the homicide rate is at the lowest point, in the United States, it has been in the last 100 years.*

You just blew meh mind.

Because of the different listed homicide rates I could arguably drop the "excluding 1953-1957" bit. I decided to leave it in because there was data that showed that a short time period where the homicide rate was lower than 4.4.

Also happily the homicide rate has been dropping recently, so if 2014 and 2015 see similar drops as in 2013 we have a current homicide rate of 4.1, which would be tied/dead on with the low point of the 50's
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

United Prefectures of Appia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby United Prefectures of Appia » Wed May 06, 2015 11:20 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Sevvania wrote:You just blew meh mind.

Because of the different listed homicide rates I could arguably drop the "excluding 1953-1957" bit. I decided to leave it in because there was data that showed that a short time period where the homicide rate was lower than 4.4.

Also happily the homicide rate has been dropping recently, so if 2014 and 2015 see similar drops as in 2013 we have a current homicide rate of 4.1, which would be tied/dead on with the low point of the 50's

Well, when doctors get good at patching up gunshot victims quicker and better with better medical technology, you can expect that as a major factor to the decline of gun homicides.
"But wait, I thought guns were bad." "FALSE! Guns are good! Infact, did you know that Jesus and Moses used guns to conquer the Romans?"
The silver bullet solutions to solve all of America's political crap in one shot: Wolf-PAC.com, MayDay.US, Represent.us

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Wed May 06, 2015 11:30 pm

United Prefectures of Appia wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:Because of the different listed homicide rates I could arguably drop the "excluding 1953-1957" bit. I decided to leave it in because there was data that showed that a short time period where the homicide rate was lower than 4.4.

Well, when doctors get good at patching up gunshot victims quicker and better with better medical technology, you can expect that as a major factor to the decline of gun homicides.

So are you arguing the major drop in gun homicides between 1933 and 1958 was because of medicine, or was the drop from 1980 to now because of medicine?

I am having a hard time finding any numbers for firearm related injuries over the last hundred years, so I will use what numbers I can find. If you can provide data that shows the change in homicide rates was because of technological and medical changes I would be interested to see that.
Fact Book.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby United Prefectures of Appia » Wed May 06, 2015 11:31 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote: am having a hard time finding any numbers for firearm related injuries over the last hundred years, so I will use what numbers I can find. If you can provide data that shows the change in homicide rates was because of technological and medical changes I would be interested to see that.

Actually, I wasn't referring to those time periods you just mentioned. I'm talking about the last decade.
"But wait, I thought guns were bad." "FALSE! Guns are good! Infact, did you know that Jesus and Moses used guns to conquer the Romans?"
The silver bullet solutions to solve all of America's political crap in one shot: Wolf-PAC.com, MayDay.US, Represent.us

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Wed May 06, 2015 11:34 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote: am having a hard time finding any numbers for firearm related injuries over the last hundred years, so I will use what numbers I can find. If you can provide data that shows the change in homicide rates was because of technological and medical changes I would be interested to see that.

Actually, I wasn't referring to those time periods you just mentioned. I'm talking about the last decade.

So over the last decade you think the reduction in the homicide rate is because of medical improvements?

Again do you have a source to prove this?
Fact Book.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby United Prefectures of Appia » Wed May 06, 2015 11:41 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:
United Prefectures of Appia wrote:Actually, I wasn't referring to those time periods you just mentioned. I'm talking about the last decade.

So over the last decade you think the reduction in the homicide rate is because of medical improvements?

Triumph, Homicides Fall Despite Soaring Gun Violence
"Did everybody become a lousy shot all of a sudden? No," said Jim Pasco, executive director of the National Fraternal Order of Police, a union that represents about 330,000 officers. "The potential for a victim to survive a wound is greater than it was 15 years ago."

In other words, more people in the U.S. are getting shot, but doctors have gotten better at patching them up. Improved medical care doesn't account for the entire decline in homicides but experts say it is a major factor.

Emergency-room physicians who treat victims of gunshot and knife attacks say more people survive because of the spread of hospital trauma centers—which specialize in treating severe injuries—the increased use of helicopters to ferry patients, better training of first-responders and lessons gleaned from the battlefields of Iraq and Afghanistan.
Last edited by United Prefectures of Appia on Wed May 06, 2015 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Wed May 06, 2015 11:44 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:So over the last decade you think the reduction in the homicide rate is because of medical improvements?

Triumph, Homicides Fall Despite Soaring Gun Violence
"Did everybody become a lousy shot all of a sudden? No," said Jim Pasco, executive director of the National Fraternal Order of Police, a union that represents about 330,000 officers. "The potential for a victim to survive a wound is greater than it was 15 years ago."

In other words, more people in the U.S. are getting shot, but doctors have gotten better at patching them up. Improved medical care doesn't account for the entire decline in homicides but experts say it is a major factor.

Emergency-room physicians who treat victims of gunshot and knife attacks say more people survive because of the spread of hospital trauma centers—which specialize in treating severe injuries—the increased use of helicopters to ferry patients, better training of first-responders and lessons gleaned from the battlefields of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Interesting, now I will have to see if I can dig up some numbers on historical firearm injuries to see what that shows.
Fact Book.

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Thu May 07, 2015 3:27 am

Sociobiology wrote:Not that I'm supporting Appia's stupid stamping idea.

The only thing dumber than the 'stupid' stamping idea is not willing to take preventative initiative.

its stupid because it will have no effect on crime, stamping the casing will not help identify a shooter except in circumstances where you could already identify the shooter. Its pointless legislation, thus stupid.
we really just need universal background checks and maybe a national registry. Seriously if your going to follow a countries example use Switzerland or Canada.

Actually, I think we should adopt the mandatory military training from the Swiss to all American citizens if they wish to own a gun. That's probably the most I am willing to compromise.

You mean the law they don't enforce?

Look most firearms used in homicides are white market sales or gray market sakes (aka private sales with no background check), black market sales are rare about as common as stolen firearms. mandatory background checks will impact gray and black market sales as will registration. the leading source of black market firearms start as white market purchases and pass down a chain of gray market purchases into the black market, so if you interrupt gray market purchases or make them trackable you not only make it harder for criminals to 'Legally" * buy firearms but also make it harder for firearms to reach the black market. Registration make it harder for white market purchases to reach the black market because the police can say "Hey the last 6 firearms Bob purchased were used in homicides and Bob never reported any of them as stolen, maybe we should investigate Bob for connections to the black market."

*as in privates sales, in which "Are you a criminal, No, Your word is good enough for me, here's your gun" is legal.

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/GUIC.PDF
Last edited by Sociobiology on Thu May 07, 2015 5:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Thu May 07, 2015 3:32 am

Big Jim P wrote:
United Prefectures of Appia wrote:And yet, the statistics still supports my claims that gun control is effective. Funny how none of the murders committed listed in the stats after the ban weren't committed by guns... Hmm I wonder why. The number of deaths before the ban is higher than the ones that came after it. Sorry, try again.

Each one of those murders not committed with guns could have been defended against WITH guns.

because guns stops explosives, fire, and poison.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

Steamtopia
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Steamtopia » Thu May 07, 2015 3:34 am

Sociobiology wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:
Each one of those murders not committed with guns could have been defended against WITH guns.

because guns stops explosives, fire, and poison.

Guns stop cancer.
TG me. Just do it.

Spongebobithianopolis
Civil Servant

Founded: May 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Spongebobithianopolis » Thu May 07, 2015 3:47 am

guns stop cancer

this guy is making more sense than any of yall
Last edited by Spongebobithianopolis on Thu May 07, 2015 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Checheyna
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Checheyna » Thu May 07, 2015 6:13 am

I am a huge believer in the right to bare arms as I go shooting often, I personally, and I am surely not the only one, who thinks that many laws on gun control should be repealed instead of changing the 2nd Amendment, such as the $200 tax if you gun barrel is shorter than 16 inches, and if you do not pay the tax, you will be sent to prison for 10 years and fined $250,000, I find that a stupid law. Is there anyone else out there who thinks so?

And yes I know this was originally meant to be a way to get revenue for the government on the making and selling of firearms, but it has turned in to a way to be arrested for $200 if you are not familiar

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Thu May 07, 2015 6:48 am

Spirit of Hope wrote:

Interesting, now I will have to see if I can dig up some numbers on historical firearm injuries to see what that shows.

Well I found an interesting Pew Research Center study on gun violence.

Chapter Three has this great quote:
In 2009, 2010 and 2011, the rate of non-fatal firearm crime appeared to rise, compared with the prior year, but the changes are not statistically significant.

A Bureau of Justice Statistics study said almost the exact same thing about the increase in violent crimes from 2011 to 2012.

I find it interesting that the rise began in 2009, it makes me wonder if the rise is connected with the economic decline. If it is then it may drop as the US economy continues to recover.

Another interesting fact is that the rate of injuries for the age group 18-24 saw a sharp decline over this period, while the other age groups all saw slight increases. I don't know what this means but it is interesting.

Even more interesting is that from 1993-2000 the death rate dropped 45%, while violent crime with a gun dropped 63%. I find this interesting because one would think that with medical advances the death rate would drop faster than the violent crime rate.
Fact Book.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Thu May 07, 2015 8:26 am

Checheyna wrote:I am a huge believer in the right to bare arms as I go shooting often

Shooting in T-shirts and tanktops, clearly. :roll:
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Thu May 07, 2015 8:43 am

Spirit of Hope wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:Interesting, now I will have to see if I can dig up some numbers on historical firearm injuries to see what that shows.

Well I found an interesting Pew Research Center study on gun violence.

Chapter Three has this great quote:
In 2009, 2010 and 2011, the rate of non-fatal firearm crime appeared to rise, compared with the prior year, but the changes are not statistically significant.

A Bureau of Justice Statistics study said almost the exact same thing about the increase in violent crimes from 2011 to 2012.

I find it interesting that the rise began in 2009, it makes me wonder if the rise is connected with the economic decline. If it is then it may drop as the US economy continues to recover.

Another interesting fact is that the rate of injuries for the age group 18-24 saw a sharp decline over this period, while the other age groups all saw slight increases. I don't know what this means but it is interesting.

Even more interesting is that from 1993-2000 the death rate dropped 45%, while violent crime with a gun dropped 63%. I find this interesting because one would think that with medical advances the death rate would drop faster than the violent crime rate.

Even though gun crime is down, people still mistakenly believe that it is worse. No doubt to the medias "if it bleeds, it leads" standard and their over-hyping of any crime remotely associated with guns.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/05/07/gun-crime-drops-but-americans-think-its-worse/2139421/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/2013/05/14/disarming-realities-as-gun-sales-soar-gun-crimes-plummet/
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Sevvania
Negotiator

Postby Sevvania » Thu May 07, 2015 8:48 am

Checheyna wrote:II personally, and I am surely not the only one, who thinks that many laws on gun control should be repealed instead of changing the 2nd Amendment, such as the $200 tax if you gun barrel is shorter than 16 inches, and if you do not pay the tax, you will be sent to prison for 10 years and fined $250,000, I find that a stupid law. Is there anyone else out there who thinks so?

Guns that are easily concealed are the ones most likely to be used in a crime. It's also generally easier to get a rifle or shotgun than a handgun. The regulation on short-barreled rifles/shotguns is an effort to prevent people from getting their hands on a weapon that can be more easily concealed than its full-length counterpart.
Last edited by Sevvania on Thu May 07, 2015 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

4/1/13 - Never Forget

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby United Prefectures of Appia » Thu May 07, 2015 10:16 am

Big Jim P wrote:Even though gun crime is down, people still mistakenly believe that it is worse. No doubt to the medias "if it bleeds, it leads" standard and their over-hyping of any crime remotely associated with guns.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/05/07/gun-crime-drops-but-americans-think-its-worse/2139421/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/2013/05/14/disarming-realities-as-gun-sales-soar-gun-crimes-plummet/

I don't think media hype alone accounts for the fears. You also have a rise and widespread of mass shootings even though gun crimes are dropping.
http://mic.com/articles/64057/why-are-m ... decreasing

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Thu May 07, 2015 10:20 am

Big Jim P wrote:Even though gun crime is down, people still mistakenly believe that it is worse. No doubt to the medias "if it bleeds, it leads" standard and their over-hyping of any crime remotely associated with guns.

I don't think media hype alone accounts for the fears. You also have a rise and widespread of mass shootings even though gun crimes are dropping.
http://mic.com/articles/64057/why-are-m ... decreasing

Too bad they are not only uncommon, they are not widespread nor increasing.

http://www.boston.com/community/blogs/c ... tings.html
Last edited by Big Jim P on Thu May 07, 2015 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.

Edward Richtofen
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Edward Richtofen » Thu May 07, 2015 10:24 am

The only way I see a BoR amendment being repealed if it has massive support in congress, a unanimous decision in the Supreme Court and Presidential approval
Member of the Socialist Treaty Organization
Economic Left/Right: -8.3
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.9
Nationalist State of Knox wrote:It seems like Donald has pulled out his Trump card.

Corrian wrote: I'm freaking Corrian.

Death Metal wrote:By the OP's logic:

-Communists are big fans of capitalism
-Anarchists believe in the necessity of the state
-Vegans fucking love to eat meat.
-Christians actually worship Satan.
-Homosexual men all like to sleep with women.

Rob Halfordia wrote:Poduck, Kentucky?

coordinates confirmed, cruise missile away

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Thu May 07, 2015 10:28 am

Edward Richtofen wrote:The only way I see a BoR amendment being repealed if it has massive support in congress, a unanimous decision in the Supreme Court and Presidential approval

Plus being ratified of 3/4th of the states. Not going to happen. That is why the GCFs continue to go about it piecemeal. Thankfully, the current trend is towards expanding gun rights.
Hail Satan!

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby United Prefectures of Appia » Thu May 07, 2015 10:52 am

Big Jim P wrote:Too bad they are not only uncommon, they are not widespread nor increasing.

Nope, try again. Mass shootings are becoming common and are increasing. They trippled since 2011.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Thu May 07, 2015 11:38 am

Big Jim P wrote:Too bad they are not only uncommon, they are not widespread nor increasing.

Nope, try again. Mass shootings are becoming common and are increasing. They trippled since 2011.

Wanna hunt down a less biased source there, bud?
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby United Prefectures of Appia » Thu May 07, 2015 11:54 am

Kernen wrote:
United Prefectures of Appia wrote:Nope, try again. Mass shootings are becoming common and are increasing. They trippled since 2011.

Sorry, but Big Jim P was in the front of the line first.

Sevvania
Negotiator

Postby Sevvania » Thu May 07, 2015 11:58 am

Kernen wrote:
United Prefectures of Appia wrote:Nope, try again. Mass shootings are becoming common and are increasing. They trippled since 2011.

I could believe that mass shootings have been on the rise, but considering gun homicides as a whole are on the decline, it seems like a matter of, "A hundred people dying in seperate instances is a statistic, but ten people dying in one event is a tragedy".

And don't get me wrong, it is a tragedy, but overall, it's still only a fraction of the number of people killed by other means (and only about twice as high as the average number of people killed by lightning each year).

4/1/13 - Never Forget

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General