NATION

PASSWORD

If you were a mod...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What type of mod would you be?

Senior Issues Editor
10%
Forum Mod
34%
Game Mod
21%
Forum Admin
7%
Technical Admin
4%
Site Admin
8%
Roleplay Mentor(I know they're not mods but they should be on this list)
15%

Total votes : 167

GothicLust
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby GothicLust » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:09 pm

Esternial wrote:
GothicLust wrote:If I was a mod I would ban everyone with an IQ under 120 and I would relegate half of the rest of the forum to a subforum where I would abuse them regularly.

While I was alone I would picspam myself many times in all the threads I started to talk to myself about politics.

What would stop me from lying about my IQ?

I found a flaw in your flawless plan! Victory be mine!

Since I would unilaterally rule on who got banned it wouldn't matter if you claimed intelligence. A quick run-through of your posting history would be enough evidence for me as to your intelligence level.

PrncssOfCuddles
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby PrncssOfCuddles » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:10 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Kiskaanak wrote:I don't think there is much doubt that she is the single worst mod this forum has had. Like, ever. I mean, Melkor has made some very questionable rulings, but he at least hasn't been as pointlessly insulting and totally lacking in neutrality.

Maybe you like that sort of thing though. Wouldn't surprise me.

I find it a little odd that I'm the teenager, and yet you're the one ranting against the systems without any serious justification, where everything is "Like, the worst ever".

It seems a strange reversal to my eyes.

Ummm, clearly you haven't witnessed and DLN rulings. There is some serious justification to rant. Also, not the whole system, and not everything. Just DLN. Being completely rude, incompetent, and unintelligent has never looked as it does on her. Oh the muff I would munch! Still, her existence as a total sex kitten doesn't negate that she is a terrible mod.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:11 pm

GothicLust wrote:
Esternial wrote:What would stop me from lying about my IQ?

I found a flaw in your flawless plan! Victory be mine!

Since I would unilaterally rule on who got banned it wouldn't matter if you claimed intelligence. A quick run-through of your posting history would be enough evidence for me as to your intelligence level.

Who made you part of the IQ-committee? You're not certified to do that.

Hence you'd be operating illegally without even realizing, which would imply that your IQ is beneath your own standards.

Steel and Fire
Diplomat

Founded: May 17, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Steel and Fire » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:11 pm

Kiskaanak wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:Oooh, what a rebel!

I don't think there is much doubt that she is the single worst mod this forum has had. Like, ever. I mean, Melkor has made some very questionable rulings, but he at least hasn't been as pointlessly insulting and totally lacking in neutrality.

You weren't here for Stephistan, I guess. Or Myrth.

Serious answer to this question: I wouldn't take the job in the first place. If I were somehow a mod anyway, I would do as little moderating as possible, and hand off making rulings to the other mods whenever possible, until they finally got frustrated enough to kick me out <_<
The Republic of Elysia

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:12 pm

South East Europe wrote:I'd deal with the people who violate the rules on a daily basis and get away with it.

... Why not report them now then? :?
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

GothicLust
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby GothicLust » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:12 pm

Esternial wrote:
GothicLust wrote:Since I would unilaterally rule on who got banned it wouldn't matter if you claimed intelligence. A quick run-through of your posting history would be enough evidence for me as to your intelligence level.

Who made you part of the IQ-committee? You're not certified to do that.

Hence you'd be operating illegally without even realizing, which would imply that your IQ is beneath your own standards.

You think there's an IQ-committee and you're calling me stupid?

Wow. You got balls son, you got balls.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:14 pm

GothicLust wrote:
Esternial wrote:Who made you part of the IQ-committee? You're not certified to do that.

You think there's an IQ-committee and you're calling me stupid?

Well...that's pretty obvious. I'm a dude.

I guess my previous statement thus still stands.
Last edited by Esternial on Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GothicLust
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby GothicLust » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:14 pm

Esternial wrote:
GothicLust wrote:You think there's an IQ-committee and you're calling me stupid?

Well...that's pretty obvious.

I guess my previous statement thus still stands.

:lol: You entertain me. Maybe you can stay.

Dorlania
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 13, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dorlania » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:16 pm

Forum Mod. I'd probably be hated and despised by everyone, banning here and there
"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stomping on a human face--forever"

Sardine World wrote:maintain

when you liberals cant get new technology because all the asians are dead, dont come crying to me

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:Yes, but 9gag has nothing funny or original.
insert/gender/sexuality/political alignment/disorder
the soft parade has now begun~
Unity and Solidarity
Mallorea and Riva should resign

ZellDincht
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby ZellDincht » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:16 pm

senior ssues Editor all the way. I would get to spend my time working on issues which is generally what I do on NS anyways.
"You must be the change you want to see in the World."-Ghandi
"If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now."

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:19 pm

Dorlania wrote:Forum Mod. I'd probably be hated and despised by everyone, banning here and there

Then you'd be the first mod I'd actually hate.

Sure, I wish DLN would melt in a pool of lava, but that's just out of love and respect.

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:19 pm

If I were a mod, I would've banned Katganistan, NERVUN, and all the other senior moderators.

And annexed the whole Mod'dom for myself! :twisted:

[insert evil laugh here].
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Kiskaanak
Ambassador

Founded: May 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kiskaanak » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:21 pm

PrncssOfCuddles wrote:Ummm, clearly you haven't witnessed and DLN rulings. There is some serious justification to rant. Also, not the whole system, and not everything. Just DLN. Being completely rude, incompetent, and unintelligent has never looked as it does on her. Oh the muff I would munch! Still, her existence as a total sex kitten doesn't negate that she is a terrible mod.

Yup.

Kat has always been 'tough but fair'. Like I said, Melkor has let things get personal before, but that has been noticed. Most of the other mods have been fine. I haven't agreed with everything they do, but that's not the point. Generally the other mods don't make totally ridiculous rulings and then back them up with hyperbole, deflection, and thread locks to avoid further conversation. That is basically all DLN does, however.

Wasn't there a rule that if you want to be a mod, you probably won't be? DLN went around for years acting like a mod while pulling a Eutrusca like 'smiley' (in the form of a signature stating she wasn't a mod) to get away with it. She desperately wanted to be a mod and eventually she got her wish.

She has never demonstrated an ability to be a fair, balanced, or consistent moderator however. Her rulings have always been childish and poorly backed up. Frankly, this should be reviewed, and she should either be mentored by a more capable moderator (or the team), or she should be removed.

So no. The system isn't broken. Just one moderator is.
Men who actually care about men's rights call themselves feminists.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:22 pm

Yohannes wrote:If I were a mod, I would've banned Katganistan, NERVUN, and all the other senior moderators.

You probably wouldn't even notice after a week, when you suddenly realize your nation name changed colour and your inbox is filled with messages to congratulate you.

Look in my eyes and tell me I'm wrong...or at least look at my post and tell me I'm wrong.

PrncssOfCuddles
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby PrncssOfCuddles » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:23 pm

Kiskaanak wrote:
PrncssOfCuddles wrote:Ummm, clearly you haven't witnessed and DLN rulings. There is some serious justification to rant. Also, not the whole system, and not everything. Just DLN. Being completely rude, incompetent, and unintelligent has never looked as it does on her. Oh the muff I would munch! Still, her existence as a total sex kitten doesn't negate that she is a terrible mod.

Just one moderator is.

I'd let DLN break me in a sexy kinda way.

Kiskaanak
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kiskaanak » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:24 pm

Steel and Fire wrote:
You weren't here for Stephistan, I guess. Or Myrth.

No, I was here for when Steph had already been demoted. I was horrified when I found out she had once been a mod. I think that she was removed for very good reason, which demonstrates the system does work. In this case I just think it hasn't caught up yet.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:28 pm

Yohannes wrote:If I were a mod, I would've banned Katganistan, NERVUN, and all the other senior moderators.

*wonders when he got promoted to senior status*

Kiskaanak wrote:

Yup.

Kat has always been 'tough but fair'. Like I said, Melkor has let things get personal before, but that has been noticed. Most of the other mods have been fine. I haven't agreed with everything they do, but that's not the point. Generally the other mods don't make totally ridiculous rulings and then back them up with hyperbole, deflection, and thread locks to avoid further conversation. That is basically all DLN does, however.

Wasn't there a rule that if you want to be a mod, you probably won't be? DLN went around for years acting like a mod while pulling a Eutrusca like 'smiley' (in the form of a signature stating she wasn't a mod) to get away with it. She desperately wanted to be a mod and eventually she got her wish.

She has never demonstrated an ability to be a fair, balanced, or consistent moderator however. Her rulings have always been childish and poorly backed up. Frankly, this should be reviewed, and she should either be mentored by a more capable moderator (or the team), or she should be removed.

So no. The system isn't broken. Just one moderator is.

You're welcome to your own opinion of course, but I haven't seen any of that sort of behavior. Nathi doesn't suffer rule breakers gladly, but that's just her style.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:30 pm

NERVUN wrote:

*wonders when he got promoted to senior status*

Great, Yohannes just ruined the surprise.

Yootwopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootwopia » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:32 pm

The type that bans people for being boring, whatever kind that is.
Technically a Polanski.

Dorlania
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 13, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby Dorlania » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:35 pm

Esternial wrote:
Dorlania wrote:Forum Mod. I'd probably be hated and despised by everyone, banning here and there

Then you'd be the first mod I'd actually hate.

Sure, I wish DLN would melt in a pool of lava, but that's just out of love and respect.

Or you know, I'll be loving and only ban Trolls, idiots, and spammers.
"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stomping on a human face--forever"

Sardine World wrote:maintain

when you liberals cant get new technology because all the asians are dead, dont come crying to me

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:Yes, but 9gag has nothing funny or original.
insert/gender/sexuality/political alignment/disorder
the soft parade has now begun~
Unity and Solidarity
Mallorea and Riva should resign

Republican Schutzbund
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 24, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Republican Schutzbund » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:35 pm

Game Mod looks fun!

Kiskaanak
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kiskaanak » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:35 pm

NERVUN wrote:You're welcome to your own opinion of course, but I haven't seen any of that sort of behavior. Nathi doesn't suffer rule breakers gladly, but that's just her style.

Well we do certainly disagree on this. Most of the complaints I hear about Moderation decisions (because who doesn't like to bitch about them, really) are based on her rulings and her often confusing or outright dishonest justifications for those decisions. The weirdest shit I've seen personally in terms of rulings have been based on her decisions. I do think that not enough people have availed themselves of a review of her decisions because well...the review process is not particularly accessible or understood. If they were to lodge these complaints, you might have your attention drawn to the kinds of behaviours I've mentioned.

So I guess my suggestion is that people who have had to deal with a bizarre decision by DLN actually do follow up with a review request, and tender evidence of any falsehoods (like claiming she sent a 'heads up TG' if the TG was actually merely a notice of a lock).
Last edited by Kiskaanak on Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Postby Esternial » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:37 pm

You know, it's not nice to talk around someone's back.

Even if you think she's not doing a great job, I'm pretty sure DLN is doing her best to be a good mod. They're not Jesus incarnate, so they too have flaws (like Sedge, but lets not get to that part or we'll be here all day), except for NERVUN, who is a computer.
Last edited by Esternial on Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yohannes
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yohannes » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:39 pm

Esternial wrote:

You probably wouldn't even notice after a week, when you suddenly realize your nation name changed colour and your inbox is filled with messages to congratulate you.

Look in my eyes and tell me I'm wrong...or at least look at my post and tell me I'm wrong.

Heh. The mods would've never pick Yohannes as a moderator. That would be just silly. xD

I am happy with doing my own thing in the in-character roleplay section of the forums.
The Pink Diary | Financial Diary | Embassy Exchange | Main Characters
The Archbishop and His Mission | Adrian Goldwert’s Yohannesian Peace | ISEC | Retired Storytelling Account
Currency | HASF Materials | Bank of Yohannes | SC Resolution # 237 | #teamnana | Posts | Views
Retired II RP Mentor | Yohannes’ [ National Flag ] | Commended WA Nation
♚ Moving to a new nation not because I "wish to move on from past events," but because I'm bored writing about a fictional large nation on NS. Can online personalities with too much time on their hands stop spreading unfounded rumours about this online boy?? XOXO ♚

Ar-Rabalistan
Envoy

Founded: Aug 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ar-Rabalistan » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:40 pm

Forum mod. If I recall correctly, they are the ones who can edit every post on the forums and lock thread sif they don't like what you say. Which would be awesome.
(If it isn't obvious, I would really abuse this power. Which is why I should never be moderator of any sort. Under any of my alts.)
Ideal World Redux
Republican's Theorem on Religious Extremism: Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
Gingrich-Sanford Fidelity Equation: The more avidly a Republican politician supports "family values", the more likely he is to cheat on/divorce his spouse.
Great Zavi wrote:Okay, so NationStates; what do you think will happen if I mailed a letter to the government declaring my home and plot of land as a sovereign nation no longer under the rule of the USA?
Tlaceceyaya wrote:They'd find out that there is oil under your house and invade.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General