NATION

PASSWORD

House Passes Anti-Abortion Bill

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

What do the Republicans care about more?

Abortion
45%
Abortion
14%
Abortion
29%
Abortion
11%

Total votes : 187

Principia Moderni
Spokesperson

Founded: May 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Principia Moderni » Thu May 05, 2011 7:38 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Principia Moderni wrote:What happened to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?

Anyway, Abortion is not all Republicans care about.

They also care about shifting the tax burden the poor and middle class. They care about mixing church and state. They care cutting aid to children and the elderly. They care about denying gays equal treatment.

Pretty much their only redeemable quality is that they are in favor of one's right to own a gun, and even that most Democrats have in common with them.

The poor will always whine about something. I don't want to mix church and state. I don't want to cut aid to children or the elderly. Gays have the same rights as heterosexuals do. They can both marry someone of opposite gender or not marry at all.

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Thu May 05, 2011 7:38 pm

Wamitoria wrote:
Principia Moderni wrote:
If someone tried making killing people legal, wouldn't you try to end that?

Before anyone gets this started, this thread isn't a debate about abortion. It is about the effects that this bill will have on American politics.

Personally I just LOVE how the Republicans and the Chamber of Commerce are apparently in bed together and claim to be for small businesses, and yet....hehe....they do stupid shit like, I dunno, end tax credits for small businesses, or block measures that'd make it easier for small businesses to get a loan. Link

I bet you five bucks that come election time, the GOP will be using that same tired line again about how they're a friend to small business.

Marcheria
Minister

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Marcheria » Thu May 05, 2011 7:39 pm

Wilgrove wrote:Ok....*sigh*.....How many bills have they even come up with so far? Because apparently they've only came up with three bills since taking office.

*sigh* There's really only one way to describe this failure.

(Image)

This.

Seriously, these Republican doofs really need to get the "god" thing out of their minds and look at the big picture.
I'm BACK after a long absence! New sig to come.

Principia Moderni
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Principia Moderni » Thu May 05, 2011 7:41 pm

Wilgrove wrote:
Principia Moderni wrote:

Your analogy fails, a fetus is not a person, and abortion is not a murder.

Care to try again? [Y/N]

How is a fetus not a human? Does it somehow switch species or something?

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Thu May 05, 2011 7:41 pm

Principia Moderni wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:They also care about shifting the tax burden the poor and middle class. They care about mixing church and state. They care cutting aid to children and the elderly. They care about denying gays equal treatment.

Pretty much their only redeemable quality is that they are in favor of one's right to own a gun, and even that most Democrats have in common with them.

The poor will always whine about something. I don't want to mix church and state. I don't want to cut aid to children or the elderly. Gays have the same rights as heterosexuals do. They can both marry someone of opposite gender or not marry at all.

Yea, cutting programs that actually helps the poor tend to get their panties in a bunch. Face it, it's the Republicans who DO want to mix state and church, and they do want to cut funding to the elderly and children under the 'guise of "fiscal conservatism". What they DON'T tell you is that the REASON they're cutting those funds is that they have to pay for those tax breaks to Corporate America somehow. Also, gays and lesbians do NOT have equal rights to heterosexuals. They do NOT have the right to marry someone of their choosing.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu May 05, 2011 7:42 pm

Principia Moderni wrote:The poor will always whine about something.

It seems to me that the Republicans are mostly the ones whining about taxes.

They can both marry someone of opposite gender or not marry at all.

If only same-sex marriage were legal, then straights would have equal rights with gays? That makes no sense. A similar argument could be used to justify laws against mixed-race marriage.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Takaram
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Takaram » Thu May 05, 2011 7:42 pm

Principia Moderni wrote:
Wilgrove wrote:

Care to try again? [Y/N]

It is human, but it is not a person. We do not define a fetus as a person until it is able to live outside of it's mother's womb at least, and the usual line is drawn at birth.

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Thu May 05, 2011 7:43 pm

Principia Moderni wrote:
Wilgrove wrote:

Care to try again? [Y/N]

I'm not getting into an abortion debate with you on this thread, that'd be a threadjack. If you want to have an abortion debate, you need to create a new thread for it.

Takaram
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Takaram » Thu May 05, 2011 7:43 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Principia Moderni wrote:The poor will always whine about something.

It seems to me that the Republicans are mostly the ones whining about taxes.

They can both marry someone of opposite gender or not marry at all.

If only same-sex marriage were legal, then straights would have equal rights with gays? That makes no sense. A similar argument could be used to justify laws against mixed-race marriage.

It was, in fact. The Supreme Court said it was BS.

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu May 05, 2011 7:43 pm

Principia Moderni wrote:
Wilgrove wrote:

Care to try again? [Y/N]

Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Thu May 05, 2011 7:45 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Principia Moderni wrote:

Republicans: We only care about you till you're born, after that, you're on your own until you turn 18.

Principia Moderni
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Principia Moderni » Thu May 05, 2011 7:46 pm

Wilgrove wrote:
Principia Moderni wrote:

Yea, cutting programs that actually helps the poor tend to get their panties in a bunch. Face it, it's the Republicans who DO want to mix state and church, and they do want to cut funding to the elderly and children under the 'guise of "fiscal conservatism". What they DON'T tell you is that the REASON they're cutting those funds is that they have to pay for those tax breaks to Corporate America somehow. Also, gays and lesbians do NOT have equal rights to heterosexuals. They do NOT have the right to marry someone of their choosing.

Maybe the cut programs are necessary. Maybe the poor should have worked harder in school. As for cutting funds for the elderly and the children, that's just stupid. I wouldn't cut programs for the same kids I'm saving from vacuum cleaners and iodine. I respect elders. Some people want to do bad things, like drugs. Should we let them? No, because it's self destructive.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Thu May 05, 2011 7:47 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Mike the Progressive wrote:
Because I consider myself pro-life.

Should a land lord be able to evict squatters?

Evict, yes. Murder, no. Though I hold a more blunt opinion towards abortion, I don't actually think it is murder, nor do I personally really care about it. I believe in God, yes, but I think in most cases he'd understand. My opposition to abortion is simply my belief that it is race suicide.

Terishany
Envoy

Founded: Jun 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Terishany » Thu May 05, 2011 7:47 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Principia Moderni wrote:

Justifiable homicide should be legal.

My neighbor just stole my lawnmower. I think it's justified to kill him and take his stuff in retaliation...
Young Conservative Christian. But I enjoy talking with anyone!

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu May 05, 2011 7:47 pm

Principia Moderni wrote:[Some people want to do bad things, like drugs. Should we let them? No, because it's self destructive.

Ban smoking and institute Prohibition. Derp.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Principia Moderni
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Principia Moderni » Thu May 05, 2011 7:47 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Principia Moderni wrote:

Congratulations. You found a bunch of unfertilized eggs and seeds. :clap: What is it AFTER it's fertilized?

Seperate Vermont
Senator

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperate Vermont » Thu May 05, 2011 7:48 pm

Hey, Democrats were promoting this Anti-Abortion measure. By the way, would you like to work with us on the deficit? Oh, you see, now they won't compromise with us.
No, we are not obsessed with Maple Syrup. Speaking of that, Would you like some 100% Pure Vermont Maple Syrup? We have a surplus this year.
http://www.mechiwiki.com/nationstates/index.php?nation=Seperate_Vermont
GENERATION 27: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu May 05, 2011 7:48 pm

Principia Moderni wrote:Congratulations. You found a bunch of unfertilized eggs and seeds. :clap: What is it AFTER it's fertilized?

A fertilized egg.
Last edited by The Parkus Empire on Thu May 05, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist

Takaram
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Takaram » Thu May 05, 2011 7:49 pm

Principia Moderni wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Image

Congratulations. You found a bunch of unfertilized eggs and seeds. :clap: What is it AFTER it's fertilized?

Well, the silkworm is a fertile organism. If anything, it's actually got more right to live than a fetus.

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Thu May 05, 2011 7:50 pm

Principia Moderni wrote:
Wilgrove wrote:

Maybe the cut programs are necessary. Maybe the poor should have worked harder in school. As for cutting funds for the elderly and the children, that's just stupid. I wouldn't cut programs for the same kids I'm saving from vacuum cleaners and iodine. I respect elders. Some people want to do bad things, like drugs. Should we let them? No, because it's self destructive.

So, instead of rolling back the tax cuts, and rolling back those corporate tax cuts, closing the loopholes in the tax codes that allow people to cheat the system....you'd rather you'd screw the poor under some stupid guise that everyone should pull themselves up by their own bootstrap. Because clearly, that's how rich people got rich, they did it themselves. It's not like they were BORN into a rich family, or through inheritance, nope EVERY rich person EVER made it up there on their own.

Then again, maybe not.

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: House Passes Anti-Abortion Bill

Postby Alien Space Bats » Thu May 05, 2011 7:51 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:I am convinced that women's rights are fundamentally incompatible with mainstream Republicanism. That vile party is beginning to stand for virtually everything that's politically wrong with the U.S.

This is why I think Obama ought to call for Congress pass the Equal Rights Amendment again and send it back to the States for ratification. It's one of those things that everyone ought to support (given our public rhetoric), but Republicans simply can't bring themselves to do (whatever they say about supporting equal rights for women).

For those who don't remember, the ERA was a relatively simple thing. Here is it's text, as written back in 1923 by Alice Paul (and passed by Congress in 1972):

Section 1. Equality of rights under the law shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.

Section 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

Section 3. This amendment shall take effect two years after the date of ratification.

Back in the 70's, much of the opposition to this Amendment came from two sources: People who said that it would require the U.S. military to permit women to serve in combat, and people who said that it would force employers to provide equal pay for equal work. Today, women have served in combat and equal pay for equal work is the law of the land (as of the 111th Congress and the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act). That means that the biggest counterarguments to the ERA, as voiced in the 1970's, are now moot.

Of course, we all know that the Republicans would choke on this, inventing new and creative reasons not to enact it. I'd love to see them have to do just that - and then I'd love to see the Democrats run attack ads asking: "What do Republicans have against finally making sure that women have the same rights as men?"

But then, I'm a bastard: I'm pushing for a landslide in '12.
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

Principia Moderni
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Principia Moderni » Thu May 05, 2011 7:51 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:
Principia Moderni wrote:Congratulations. You found a bunch of unfertilized eggs and seeds. :clap: What is it AFTER it's fertilized?

A fertilized egg.

Okay, now to be more specific. A human sperm fertilized a human egg. What do we have?

A fertilized HUMAN egg.

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Thu May 05, 2011 7:52 pm

Principia Moderni wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:Image

A clump of cells?

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Thu May 05, 2011 7:52 pm

Takaram wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:Not to mention the restriction of private business, which they tend to oppose.

Shh! They're for jobs! See! Private sector! Trickle-down economics! We like freedom, as long as it's our freedoms!
The thing is, they haven't done any more to fix the economy than the Democrats, so they have to find some way to inflame their base. Turn the conversation from the economy they've been talking about to something where everyone already knows where they stand.

Since when did McJobs count as job creation? :D
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Thu May 05, 2011 7:53 pm

Principia Moderni wrote:
The Parkus Empire wrote:
A fertilized egg.

Okay, now to be more specific. A human sperm fertilized a human egg. What do we have?

A fertilized HUMAN egg.

The debate is whether it is a person. :meh:
Under New Management since 8/9/12

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General