NATION

PASSWORD

The Problem With Alcohol

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kronotide
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 21, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Kronotide » Thu Apr 20, 2023 3:45 pm

I don't understand why someone would gatekeep those types of jobs just because the people wanting to do them are doing them for personal reasons. These people are still helping others in this job, even if its not selfless.
Factbooks are Never being Finished
Lore has drastically changed about this nation and its moved off site due to being used in my book.

The Holy Therns
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 09, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Therns » Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:05 pm

Floofybit wrote:
Kernen wrote:
That may have been the effect but helping others was never once a motive for being a firefighter. I was doing it for the thrill. So why does that matter? In either case, risk of harm was irrelevant to me.

If I want to poison myself for a good time, so be it. You really can't stop me, even with surveillance.

You did for your own personal gain instead of to help? Do you not care about people's lives? A firefighter who does not care about other's or even their own life should not be a firefighter.

Why does the motivation matter more than the function?
Platitude with attitude
Your new favorite.
MTF transperson. She/her. Lives in Sweden.
Also, N A N A ! ! !
Gallade wrote:Love, cake, wine and banter. No greater meaning to life (〜^∇^)〜

Ethel mermania wrote:to therns is to transend the pettiness of the field of play into the field of dreams.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:39 pm

Floofybit wrote:
American Legionaries wrote:
You want people to stop being firefighters now too?

No, I just feel that people who are firefighters should do it to SAVE PEOPLE'S LIVES.

Your outlook is rather idealistic. And so so silly. People do jobs for all kinds of reasons. My husband’s ex liked to be an EMT for the thrill. Not for saving lives. And there’s nothing wrong with that. The job is getting done. Stop trying to tell people how and why they must do the jobs they do.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Neanderthaland
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 10, 2016
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Neanderthaland » Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:44 pm

Kronotide wrote:I don't understand why someone would gatekeep those types of jobs just because the people wanting to do them are doing them for personal reasons. These people are still helping others in this job, even if its not selfless.

To quote a probably spurious line from Dr. Alfred Blalock, "You have to be an arrogant son of a bitch to lay your hands on a human heart."

Good people don't always make good surgeons.
Ug make fire. Mod ban Ug.

Luminesa
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 09, 2014

Postby Luminesa » Thu Apr 20, 2023 4:50 pm

Floofybit wrote:
Kernen wrote:I was 19 and in undergrad. I was absolutely desperate for a buzz since I didn't have a fake ID good enough to pass at a liquor store, but I wasn't addicted. Just a teenager.

People drink shitty booze because they like to be buzzed. It's fun to be impaired. That's not an addiction.

And getting buzzed by booze gets you close to death. How is something important enough that you'll break the law just so you can get a swig of poison? That seems like a bigger problem than you realize.

No sir, getting buzzed by alcohol makes you very aggressive at UNO with your friends.
Catholic, pro-life, and proud of it. I prefer my debates on religion, politics, and sports with some coffee and a little Aquinas and G.K. CHESTERTON here and there. :3
Unofficial #1 fan of the Who Dat Nation.
"I'm just a singer of simple songs, I'm not a real political man. I watch CNN, but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran. But I know Jesus, and I talk to God, and I remember this from when I was young:
faith, hope and love are some good things He gave us...
and the greatest is love."
-Alan Jackson
Help the Ukrainian people, here's some sources!
Help bring home First Nation girls! Now with more ways to help!
Jesus loves all of His children in Eastern Europe - pray for peace.
Pray for Ukraine, Wear Sunflowers In Your Hair

Kronotide
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 21, 2023
Ex-Nation

Postby Kronotide » Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:50 pm

Again, I think the problem here isn't alcoholics or alcohol. Its lack of education on what Alcohol actually does to the body and how it affects different people. Outright banning Alcohol should never be considered, maybe more regulations? Definitely programs to help those who do have an issue with it. But we shouldn't be making these types of choices for other people, even if we may disagree with it.
Factbooks are Never being Finished
Lore has drastically changed about this nation and its moved off site due to being used in my book.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 02, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:44 pm

Floofybit wrote:

No, I just feel that people who are firefighters should do it to SAVE PEOPLE'S LIVES.

Why? I can haul a hydraulic cutter or an attack line as well as anybody else. Why I do it shouldn't be relevant, only that I do it competently.

I'm also a lawyer expressly because it's a profitable use of my skill. I don't do it because I care about justice.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Get abortions, do drugs, own guns, but never misstate legal procedure.

Techocracy101010
Ambassador

Founded: May 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Techocracy101010 » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:30 pm

Kernen wrote:
Floofybit wrote:No, I just feel that people who are firefighters should do it to SAVE PEOPLE'S LIVES.

Why? I can haul a hydraulic cutter or an attack line as well as anybody else. Why I do it shouldn't be relevant, only that I do it competently.

I'm also a lawyer expressly because it's a profitable use of my skill. I don't do it because I care about justice.

interior vs exterior attack . Laying line down is fun . Big trucks go vroom like we need to get floofy on a crew to see how fun it is.

Tatar Realm
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 12, 2023

Postby Tatar Realm » Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:33 pm

Floofybit wrote:

In the same vein of logic then, Abraham Lincoln should not have then emancipated the slaves, eh? Because you do realize he did so first and foremost to "save the union", not because he was some ultra-progressive abolitionist. He may have had sympathies, but that's still not the driving force behind why the slaves were freed. So, should Old Honest Abe not have freed the slaves because that wasn't his primary goal, or should have he freed the slaves, regardless of his intentions? Same thing with EMTs, Firefighters, etc. saving peoples' lives. Maybe they do it for thrill seeking. Maybe they do it to save lives. Maybe both. Maybe neither. The end result is the same if they're doing the work that ultimately saves lives. I understand you want people's intentions to be pure and transparent Floofy, but that's just not the reality that can always be, and more often than not, it's not the one that is.
A Class 2 Civilization according to this index.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:25 am

Techocracy101010 wrote:
Kernen wrote:

interior vs exterior attack . Laying line down is fun . Big trucks go vroom like we need to get floofy on a crew to see how fun it is.

Interior was a blast. Exterior was alright.

Floofy doesn't strike me as somebody who enjoys fun. Or hard work.
Last edited by Kernen on Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
From the throne of Khan Juk i'Behemoti, Juk Who-Is-The-Strength-of-the-Behemoth, Supreme Khan of the Ogres of Kernen. May the Khan ever drink the blood of his enemies!

Lawful Evil

Techocracy101010
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Techocracy101010 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:44 am

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:18 pm

Floofybit wrote:
Kernen wrote:I was 19 and in undergrad. I was absolutely desperate for a buzz since I didn't have a fake ID good enough to pass at a liquor store, but I wasn't addicted. Just a teenager.

People drink shitty booze because they like to be buzzed. It's fun to be impaired. That's not an addiction.

And getting buzzed by booze gets you close to death. How is something important enough that you'll break the law just so you can get a swig of poison? That seems like a bigger problem than you realize.

And in a few years there will be another study to debunk that study.

The point is, your Authoritarianism shouldn't exit anywhere.
NHL Conference Finals NYR 0 - 0 FLA | EDM 0 - 0 DAL
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NCAA MBB: Tulane 31-24 | LSU 36-20 || NCAA WSB: LSU 42-15

Glamour
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 25, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Glamour » Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:07 am

Floofybit wrote:
Kernen wrote:
That may have been the effect but helping others was never once a motive for being a firefighter. I was doing it for the thrill. So why does that matter? In either case, risk of harm was irrelevant to me.

If I want to poison myself for a good time, so be it. You really can't stop me, even with surveillance.

You did for your own personal gain instead of to help? Do you not care about people's lives? A firefighter who does not care about other's or even their own life should not be a firefighter.

I might be desperate to save people’s lives and become a paramedic, and be such an incompetent ambulance driver that I cause a pile-up and kill many people.

They say that psychopaths make very effective surgeons because they are emotionally detached from the act of slicing up another human body and they want the reputation of being effective surgeons.

Somebody like you who was a surgeon would need weeks off work on account of being traumatised every time you killed someone on the operating table.
Libertarian/Authoritarian:-4.1
Left/Right:-5.5
World 1-5%: Cheerfulness | Rebelliousness | Public Transport | Welfare | Eco-Friendliness | Pacifism | Niceness | Education | Publishing | Culture | Tax | Environment | Healthcare | Compassion | Weather | Aid | Tourism | Food | Intelligence | Lifespan | Integrity | Inclusive | Poor Income |
World 10-15%: Subsidy | Health | Artwork | Compliance | Economy | Average Income | Science | Devout | Equality | Nudity | Freedom | Law Enforcement | IT | Rich Income | Rights |

"So glorious were they that every clan did wonder
Amidst the clashing of thunder, but could not have known
Beneath a canopy of glitter
Whether they were of the waters or the heavens
"

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:20 am

Glamour wrote:
Floofybit wrote:You did for your own personal gain instead of to help? Do you not care about people's lives? A firefighter who does not care about other's or even their own life should not be a firefighter.

I might be desperate to save people’s lives and become a paramedic, and be such an incompetent ambulance driver that I cause a pile-up and kill many people.

They say that psychopaths make very effective surgeons because they are emotionally detached from the act of slicing up another human body and they want the reputation of being effective surgeons.

Somebody like you who was a surgeon would need weeks off work on account of being traumatised every time you killed someone on the operating table.

It's probably not worth the effort. Floof has not indicated any desire to appreciate why people would disagree with them on motive.

Lawful Evil

Portzania
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 30, 2022
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Portzania » Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:21 am

Floofybit wrote:You did for your own personal gain instead of to help? Do you not care about people's lives? A firefighter who does not care about other's or even their own life should not be a firefighter.

Not what they said, they're saying they do it to help, and for the thrill and action.
⚔︎The Portzanian Social Republic⚔︎
"My final wish to mankind? Don't let women be the central spokesperson for your ideology, religion, ethics, and....."
*BEEEEEEEEEEP*
Portzania is an underdeveloped nation consisting of an archipelago located in the Mediterranean, near Egypt.
Novidades! | What is a Weeping Flesh Hive? Protect your family. | "It wasn't a hate crime because I loved doing it, officer" Says convicted suspect of Church vandalism. |"Portzania's Violence Map Shows Alarming Trends" - Portzania Reports

tag: skeletonjanitor
Here's my compass results: https://www.politicalcompass.org/yourpo ... 8&soc=0.82

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:22 am

Portzania wrote:

Not what they said, they're saying they do it to help, and for the thrill and action.

No I did it for the thrill. Helping people wasn't a point for or against.

Lawful Evil

Portzania
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 30, 2022
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Portzania » Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:45 am

Kernen wrote:
Portzania wrote:Not what they said, they're saying they do it to help, and for the thrill and action.

No I did it for the thrill. Helping people wasn't a point for or against.

And you know what, that's fair also, you can do something for the thrill, but you're still doing a good thing in your seek of entertainment.
⚔︎The Portzanian Social Republic⚔︎
"My final wish to mankind? Don't let women be the central spokesperson for your ideology, religion, ethics, and....."
*BEEEEEEEEEEP*
Portzania is an underdeveloped nation consisting of an archipelago located in the Mediterranean, near Egypt.
Novidades! | What is a Weeping Flesh Hive? Protect your family. | "It wasn't a hate crime because I loved doing it, officer" Says convicted suspect of Church vandalism. |"Portzania's Violence Map Shows Alarming Trends" - Portzania Reports

tag: skeletonjanitor
Here's my compass results: https://www.politicalcompass.org/yourpo ... 8&soc=0.82

Techocracy101010
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Techocracy101010 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:03 pm

Glamour wrote:

tbh more often result of that mentality where they care too much is they find out what buck shot tastes like

Exxosia
Diplomat

Founded: May 09, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Exxosia » Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:28 pm

The way I see it, alcohol is one of the few things that make life bearable. Every day, people want to make the world worse, overreach and harm, crush the human spirit under heel and drive conformity. Alcohol numbs the pain and lets me deal with my powerlessness as my world is systematically destroyed and all hope is lost. A couple white russians, a childhood movie, and a nap has got me past many a suicidal night.

It's never a question of solving the problems that lead to substance abuses, it's always how can we stop people from being non-conforming or doing things we do not like. You want to reduce substance abuse? Stop making the world a living hell. But you can't do that. You need the world to be a living hell to fulfill your needs -- I can even respect that. You can't let people be free to do their own thing, because it is too important for you to have complete control and conformity. Because you want centralized authoritarianism and a cradle to grave interference with all things, you rationalize the "costs" into the equation that you're right. You don't care about people's lives or you would try to solve the problems, not the symptoms.

You take and take and take. Then when people are broken and need some sort of relief, you can't stand it.

Champlania
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 20, 2023

Postby Champlania » Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:38 pm

Floofybit wrote:

I don't care what the firefighter is working for! I want get out with my life!

Kerwa
Minister

Founded: Jul 24, 2021
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Kerwa » Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:39 pm

The problem is work is the curse of the drinking class.

Kerwa
Minister

Founded: Jul 24, 2021
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Kerwa » Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:41 pm

And firefighters are really about protecting property, not lives. The lives thing is Hollywood melodrama.

Kernen
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Kernen » Wed Apr 26, 2023 6:02 pm

Kerwa wrote:And firefighters are really about protecting property, not lives. The lives thing is Hollywood melodrama.

Spoiler alert: most of us don't care about either, we like flashing lights and big trucks.

Seriously, the job is really fun. That's why guys do it. They care when people die, but it's about the fun toys and cool stuff you get to do. My expertise was technical rescue. I could dissect a car in minutes. I once stabilized an upside-down car halfway down a cliff with nothing but rope and trees. I helped a lot of people. I don't rememeber their faces. I do rememeber solving the puzzles.

I'm not very unusual. Some guys remember some of the people, but we all rememeber the Real Cool Shit.

Lawful Evil

Techocracy101010
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Techocracy101010 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:40 pm

Exxosia wrote:The way I see it, alcohol is one of the few things that make life bearable. Every day, people want to make the world worse, overreach and harm, crush the human spirit under heel and drive conformity. Alcohol numbs the pain and lets me deal with my powerlessness as my world is systematically destroyed and all hope is lost. A couple white russians, a childhood movie, and a nap has got me past many a suicidal night.

It's never a question of solving the problems that lead to substance abuses, it's always how can we stop people from being non-conforming or doing things we do not like. You want to reduce substance abuse? Stop making the world a living hell. But you can't do that. You need the world to be a living hell to fulfill your needs -- I can even respect that. You can't let people be free to do their own thing, because it is too important for you to have complete control and conformity. Because you want centralized authoritarianism and a cradle to grave interference with all things, you rationalize the "costs" into the equation that you're right. You don't care about people's lives or you would try to solve the problems, not the symptoms.

You take and take and take. Then when people are broken and need some sort of relief, you can't stand it.

In a just world we would drag the rulers out kicking and screaming tie them to a stake above a mound of tires and set fire to it and cheer

Northern Socialist Council Republics
Senator

Founded: Dec 13, 2020
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Northern Socialist Council Republics » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:10 pm

Exxosia wrote:You take and take and take. Then when people are broken and need some sort of relief, you can't stand it.

When you improve people's lives, they don't need the comfort of fictional gods as much. That's why religious people tend to be so opposed to any measures aimed at improving people's lives and are so anxious to ban every source of relief from the pain of existence. The objective is to make it impossible to live without embracing whatever reactionary dogma they want people to believe in.

Religion is the single largest social and political problem facing humanity in the 21st Century, and as long as it remains in existence we will continually have to deal with these nonsensical proposals whose main purpose is the immiseration of human beings.
Last edited by Northern Socialist Council Republics on Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call me "Russ" if you're referring to me the out-of-character poster or "NSRS" if you're referring to me the in-character nation.
Previously on Plzen. NationStates-er since 2014.

Social-democrat and hardline secularist.
Come roleplay with us. We have cookies.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General