NATION

PASSWORD

The Ashes (Australia vs England)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who will win The Ashes?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:31 am

Austalia
39%
England
38%
Myrth
23%

Total votes : 69

BunnySaurus Bugsii
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: The Ashes (Australia vs England)

Postby BunnySaurus Bugsii » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:41 am

I do wonder what the English cricket followers think of Clarke.

Do they see him as one of their own, a decent chap who preserves his wicket and only punishes the bad deliveries? (How I see him, btw)

Or do they see him as a growing menace, a Viv Richards in the making, who will win matches in years to come, with a session at the crease?
Lucky Bicycle Works ⊂ BunnySaurus Bugsii ⊂ Nobel Hobos

More sig:
Saboteur: A well-meaning idiot, walking into the future barefoot.

The moongoose step: a combination of can-can, goose-step, and moon-step. I haven't perfected it yet.

I can however do John Cleese's Silly Walk, with elements of falling on my arse.

When we hear our future selves, we are humbled. We are willing servants.

BunnySaurus Bugsii
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby BunnySaurus Bugsii » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:29 am

Third test is a draw. (Less close than the First, I might add. Australia had more wickets and more runs to chase in this Test, when time ran out.)

Dinner was two carrots and some chopped garlic, boiled, with wholemeal spaghetti and a spoonful of tandoori paste added five minutes later, and served with a fistfull of uncooked rocket (roquette) and one more glass of cheap wine.

It was surprisingly satisfying. Didn't mind the Test being a draw either.

WMU: Cool story bro. ;) Really, both our countries are small in population. Australia perhaps has greater "carrying capacity" in terms of growing its own food, but having lots of "passive resources" -- minable and farmable land -- with a small population is a liability too. We're rich now, but at anything like the average population density of the earth we wouldn't be rich at all. Our day will come, to be a 'bone of contention' between greater powers.

Or perhaps the seas will always remain a natural barrier which it is not worth the effort for an aggressor to cross. I doubt it, though. When the major powers can bomb from orbit, deploy aircraft from orbit, deploy troops from orbit ... seas or oceans won't be significant impediments to 'force projection.'

More sig:

The moongoose step: a combination of can-can, goose-step, and moon-step. I haven't perfected it yet.

Western Mercenary Unio
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Western Mercenary Unio » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:36 am

BunnySaurus Bugsii wrote: Cool story bro. ;) Really, both our countries are small in population. Australia perhaps has greater "carrying capacity" in terms of growing its own food, but having lots of "passive resources" -- minable and farmable land -- with a small population is a liability too. We're rich now, but at anything like the average population density of the earth we wouldn't be rich at all. Our day will come, to be a 'bone of contention' between greater powers.

Or perhaps the seas will always remain a natural barrier which it is not worth the effort for an aggressor to cross. I doubt it, though. When the major powers can bomb from orbit, deploy aircraft from orbit, deploy troops from orbit ... seas or oceans won't be significant impediments to 'force projection.'

Yeah, I kinda started to ramble there a bit. And, the resource we have most? Wood. Seriously, the only resource we export is wood and a bit of metals. That's it, I can't see any reason to invade us except for the lulz.
You didn't tell me there was going to be math-Mike Krahulik AKA Gabe, after finding out he had to do math in Dungeons & Dragons, also my reaction finding out that I had to do math in most of the storefronts.
Political Compass: -4.25, -6.26
Disclaimer: I might be totally wrong, due to the fact that I probably know jackshit about the subject.

BunnySaurus Bugsii
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby BunnySaurus Bugsii » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:19 am

Western Mercenary Unio wrote:
BunnySaurus Bugsii wrote: Cool story bro. ;) Really, both our countries are small in population. Australia perhaps has greater "carrying capacity" in terms of growing its own food, but having lots of "passive resources" -- minable and farmable land -- with a small population is a liability too. We're rich now, but at anything like the average population density of the earth we wouldn't be rich at all. Our day will come, to be a 'bone of contention' between greater powers.

Yeah, I kinda started to ramble there a bit. And, the resource we have most? Wood. Seriously, the only resource we export is wood and a bit of metals. That's it, I can't see any reason to invade us except for the lulz.

You're not thinking of being a consciencious objector to your nation's military service, I hope!

Go do it kid. Like my best friend advised me, when my father told me he would commit me to a mental institution and I called my best friend on the phone (and I'm not lying here, nor joking, this my best recollection of fact): Martin said "I think you should do what your dad says. You will meet interesting people."

Martin was right. I met interesting people, and experimented with self-torture using cigarettes with a darkling I was madly in love with, and had my first experience of sexual intercourse, with a plump and pleasant girl from a country town too small to mention here, for risk of identifying her.

(Martin died. Identifying him does no harm.)

A week into my internment in the funny farm, I hit the high point of my public speaking career. I called the gas company, and complained about their introduction of non-poisonous natural gas in place of lethal "coal gas." I complained that I had not been properly notified that their product did not meet the criteria previously advertised. I complained to a confused and amazingly receptive service representative, that the company's gas did not work as previously advertised, to kill consumers who chose it as a method of suicide. It wasn't until threatened to sue the company for my being alive, that she hung up.

Ah, good times. And still, I have not told a lie. But, in my devious way, I have set up the joke:

This "a week into the cure" thing is what cricket is all about. You get emotionally involved, but the gratification of winning is so long delayed, you go a bit insane ('delayed gratification' -- google it.)

You get a whole working week to mull it over, and talk crap to each other, and contemplate suicide, before it ends in a draw and you walk away satisfied.

If you can't take cricket seriously, you are well on the way to being a cricket fan.

More sig:

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:35 am

I was so happy when I saw that England got into the finals of the ashes. Until I realised they only play each other. :(

Western Mercenary Unio
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Western Mercenary Unio » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:41 am

BunnySaurus Bugsii wrote:You're not thinking of being a consciencious objector to your nation's military service, I hope!

Go do it kid. Like my best friend advised me, when my father told me he would commit me to a mental institution and I called my best friend on the phone (and I'm not lying here, nor joking, this my best recollection of fact): Martin said "I think you should do what your dad says. You will meet interesting people."

Martin was right. I met interesting people, and experimented with self-torture using cigarettes with a darkling I was madly in love with, and had my first experience of sexual intercourse, with a plump and pleasant girl from a country town too small to mention here, for risk of identifying her.

(Martin died. Identifying him does no harm.)

A week into my internment in the funny farm, I hit the high point of my public speaking career. I called the gas company, and complained about their introduction of non-poisonous natural gas in place of lethal "coal gas." I complained that I had not been properly notified that their product did not meet the criteria previously advertised. I complained to a confused and amazingly receptive service representative, that the company's gas did not work as previously advertised, to kill consumers who chose it as a method of suicide. It wasn't until threatened to sue the company for my being alive, that she hung up.

Ah, good times. And still, I have not told a lie. But, in my devious way, I have set up the joke:

This "a week into the cure" thing is what cricket is all about. You get emotionally involved, but the gratification of winning is so long delayed, you go a bit insane ('delayed gratification' -- google it.)

You get a whole working week to mull it over, and talk crap to each other, and contemplate suicide, before it ends in a draw and you walk away satisfied.

If you can't take cricket seriously, you are well on the way to being a cricket fan.

''You will meet interesting people''? In a mental institution? Anyway, in the subject of mental institutions, a friend of mine went once to the only one nearby. He's told me that at night, he could hear these two kids having sex. Every night. And, I'm not taking the unarmed service. At least, I can lose weight there and satisfy my weapon geekery.
Last edited by Western Mercenary Unio on Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
You didn't tell me there was going to be math-Mike Krahulik AKA Gabe, after finding out he had to do math in Dungeons & Dragons, also my reaction finding out that I had to do math in most of the storefronts.
Disclaimer: I might be totally wrong, due to the fact that I probably know jackshit about the subject.

BunnySaurus Bugsii
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby BunnySaurus Bugsii » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:15 pm

EvilDarkMagicians wrote:I was so happy when I saw that England got into the finals of the ashes. Until I realised they only play each other. :(

Hey, don't knock it. Best games of cricket I have ever played were me and my mate John, in the nets. We played each other, and did the umpiring too.

We were good mates. We didn't waste much time between balls, arguing if a thick edge was "caught at cover" or "boundary." Those were close games, and we always scored triple centuries and took twenty wickets. Both of us.

Best of all, the concrete pitch extended only half way to the delivery crease. If you aimed for the edge of that concrete, before it dropped off into dust from the bowler's end, you could deliver the most excellent bouncer: up at forty degrees, bounce off the top of the nets, and into your mate's unhelmeted head as they swayed back to let it through!

I'm just a sad old codger, aren't I? Clackety-clack, reliving past glories. I should get a life.

More sig:

BunnySaurus Bugsii
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby BunnySaurus Bugsii » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:22 pm

BunnySaurus Bugsii wrote:*snip self*

''You will meet interesting people''? In a mental institution?

Well, it was a pretty good mental institution. But yeah, from my experience, you will meet interesting people in a mental institution.

Do your duty, young fella. You will meet interesting people in the national service.

Anyway, in the subject of mental institutions, a friend of mine went once to the only one nearby. He's told me that at night, he could hear these two kids having sex. Every night. And, I'm not taking the unarmed service. At least, I can lose weight there and satisfy my weapon geekery.

Excellent.

I've got to say though, that was a pretty wimpy mental institution your friend went to. Only two kids having sex together? For more than one night?

More sig:

Western Mercenary Unio
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Western Mercenary Unio » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:53 pm

BunnySaurus Bugsii wrote:Well, it was a pretty good mental institution. But yeah, from my experience, you will meet interesting people in a mental institution.

Do your duty, young fella. You will meet interesting people in the national service.

Excellent.

I've got to say though, that was a pretty wimpy mental institution your friend went to. Only two kids having sex together? For more than one night?

Well, I can't remember everything he told me about it, as I have bad memory. And, as I said, at least I can study weapons up close and get in shape.
Last edited by Western Mercenary Unio on Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fson
Minister

Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Fson » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:32 am

BunnySaurus Bugsii wrote:
Fson wrote:why do people insist on posting on this saying that they have no interest in cricket.

who cares? why post then?

To inflate their post count?

Well, I've always said that this belongs in Forum 7. Where posts don't add to the postcount.

Could be linked to at the bottom of the first page of General. Stickied there.

But frankly, I'd rather the first page of general not be polluted by minority interest in current sporting events. Sporting commentary is "chat."

Look at the second page of General. There is good stuff there, which this thread helped displace.

Minority interest? :rofl:

Just because you do not like it does not mean almost a 6th of the worlds population doesnt
by Wilgrove » Wed May 26, 2010 7:51 am

OMG, It's so obvious! Of course!! Science has lied to us!!!

It's time to abandon scientific progress and only look towards the Lord Jesus Christ (who is white of course) for guidance in all matters!

BunnySaurus Bugsii
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby BunnySaurus Bugsii » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:53 am

Fson wrote:
BunnySaurus Bugsii wrote:
Fson wrote:why do people insist on posting on this saying that they have no interest in cricket.

who cares? why post then?

Well, I've always said that this belongs in Forum 7. Where posts don't add to the postcount.

Could be linked to at the bottom of the first page of General. Stickied there.

But frankly, I'd rather the first page of general not be polluted by minority interest in current sporting events. Sporting commentary is "chat."

Look at the second page of General. There is good stuff there, which this thread helped displace.

Minority interest? :rofl:

Just because you do not like it does not mean almost a 6th of the worlds population doesnt

Sh. England need a wicket!

More sig:

Fson
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Fson » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:31 am

Stumps

It's time to abandon scientific progress and only look towards the Lord Jesus Christ (who is white of course) for guidance in all matters!

Univision (Ancient)
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Univision (Ancient) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:38 am

SaintB wrote:For a second i thought this was about a nuclear war or something.

:lol: Obviously not a fan of cricket. But I can't blame you- you're American, right?

Of course, I'm Mexican, but I learned cricket through Wikipedia. Oh well.
Univision, Texas
My personal motto: "WTF?!"

Destroy the Mexican government?
Yes
No

Univision (Ancient)
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Univision (Ancient) » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:40 am

Anyway, in the subject of mental institutions, a friend of mine went once to the only one nearby. He's told me that at night, he could hear these two kids having sex. Every night. And, I'm not taking the unarmed service. At least, I can lose weight there and satisfy my weapon geekery.

Um... I think this is Image
Univision, Texas
My personal motto: "WTF?!"

Destroy the Mexican government?
Yes
No

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:57 pm

Well well well, what do we see here?

England in the first innings all out for 102. Hahahaa

Ok Australia is 4/196 but as the past three tests have shown Australia has a strong middle order to be able to get the runs up.

So I think Australia has the entire day to slog out the balls and get a very large lead, meaning retire at the start of the third day Giving them three days to get England out and make up a small(if any) difference.
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

Fson
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Fson » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:20 pm

oh dear England :palm:

I say you just bowl bouncers at the aussies now, that would probably acheive more, and be more satisfying :D

Fson
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Fson » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:28 pm

Univision wrote:

Um... I think this is Image

Same, interesting but off topic

The Imperial Navy
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Imperial Navy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:30 pm

When it comes to any sport, we fail at it.

Brits suck at sport. End of story.

Fson
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Fson » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:36 pm

The Imperial Navy wrote:When it comes to any sport, we fail at it.

:palm:

Its england playing.

The Imperial Navy
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Imperial Navy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:41 pm

Fson wrote:

Its england playing.

I know. But this whole continent still fails. Am I right?

Fson
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Fson » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:48 pm

The Imperial Navy wrote:
Fson wrote:

Its england playing.

I know. But this whole continent still fails. Am I right?

nope, and the Uk isnt a continent, idiot :rofl:

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:51 pm

The Imperial Navy wrote:I know. But this whole continent still fails. Am I right?

Not really, firstly because it isn't a continent. Secondly, because it normally does pretty well in most sports, usually coming within the top 5. There is a difference between failing, and not coming first at everything.

The Imperial Navy
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Imperial Navy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:51 pm

Fson wrote:nope, and the Uk isnt a continent, idiot :rofl:

*Shrug* Meh. I'm half asleep right now after a 12 hour shift at work. Like I care if you think i'm an idiot.

Fson
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Fson » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:53 pm

The Imperial Navy wrote:
Fson wrote:nope, and the Uk isnt a continent, idiot :rofl:

*Shrug* Meh. I'm half asleep right now after a 12 hour shift at work. Like I care if you think i'm an idiot.

Get out.

Waster

The Imperial Navy
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Imperial Navy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:54 pm

Fson wrote:Get out.

Waster

Meh.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads