NATION

PASSWORD

English: A Broken Language?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sovaal
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 17, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sovaal » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:50 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Sovaal wrote:So uh, starts with sl and rhymes with hut?

No, just very promiscuous.

No need to shame the behaviour.

Hence why I didn't say it.
Most of the time I have no idea what the hell I'm doing or talking about.

”Many forms of government have been tried and will be tried in this world of sin and woe.
No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is
the worst form of government, except for all the others that have been tried from time to time." -
Winston Churchill, 1947.

"Rifles, muskets, long-bows and hand-grenades are inherently democratic weapons. A complex weapon makes the strong stronger, while a simple weapon – so long as there is no answer to it – gives claws to the weak.” - George Orwell

Petrasylvania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Petrasylvania » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:51 pm

So does that make memes VD?
Crimes committed by Muslims will be proof of a pan-Islamic plot and Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand, crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of mentally ill lone wolves who do not represent their professed belief system at all.
The probability of someone secretly participating in homosexual acts is directly proportional to the frequency and loudness of their publicly professed disapproval and/or disgust for homosexuality.
If Donald Trump accuses an individual of malfeasance without evidence, it is almost a certainty either he or someone associated with him has in fact committed that very same malfeasance to a greater degree.

New Flag Courtesy of The Realist Polities

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:56 pm

The Two Jerseys wrote:I get the feeling that the people who say that English is broken are the ones who are trying to rationalize why they failed their English class...

Sanctissima wrote:Regardless, my main gripe with Shakespeare is that I consider him an overrated Elizabethan writer who gets treated as though he was a literary genius when in reality he was a cheap discount playwright whose only real contribution to English literature was giving High School English teachers something to get their students to groan about. Not even high-quality meme value. I've seen better.

Marlowe was better anyway.

Considerably.

Granted, Shakespeare had some good works, but overall he was just a cheap knock-off Marlowe.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:00 pm

Sanctissima wrote:[...]Regardless, my main gripe with Shakespeare is that I consider him an overrated Elizabethan writer who gets treated as though he was a literary genius when in reality he was a cheap discount playwright whose only real contribution to English literature was giving High School English teachers something to get their students to groan about. Not even high-quality meme value. I've seen better.

Fuckin' hell, this is edgy. Wrong? Not necessarily.

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:02 pm

FelrikTheDeleted wrote:
Sanctissima wrote:[...]Regardless, my main gripe with Shakespeare is that I consider him an overrated Elizabethan writer who gets treated as though he was a literary genius when in reality he was a cheap discount playwright whose only real contribution to English literature was giving High School English teachers something to get their students to groan about. Not even high-quality meme value. I've seen better.

Fuckin' hell, this is edgy. Wrong? Not necessarily.

I've considered adopting "Daoist Asshole" as a cognomen.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:05 pm

Sanctissima wrote:Regardless, my main gripe with Shakespeare is that I consider him an overrated Elizabethan writer who gets treated as though he was a literary genius when in reality he was a cheap discount playwright whose only real contribution to English literature was giving High School English teachers something to get their students to groan about. Not even high-quality meme value. I've seen better.

Seriously man, have you actually read any of his work? And I mean like actually sat down to read it properly and not in a forced angry "I am in high school and hate everything + I hate this because I am forced to do it" context? Because all discussion aside I find that the vast majority of things you are forced to read whilst in school are forced upon you and thus automatically seen as bad. And most of it is really literature that is definitively not intended for an audience that young either. And those two combine to make most of it look like crap to you even when it really isn't.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:09 pm

Purpelia wrote:

Seriously man, have you actually read any of his work? And I mean like actually sat down to read it properly and not in a forced angry "I am in high school and hate everything + I hate this because I am forced to do it" context? Because all discussion aside I find that the vast majority of things you are forced to read whilst in school are forced upon you and thus automatically seen as bad. And most of it is really literature that is definitively not intended for an audience that young either. And those two combine to make most of it look like crap to you even when it really isn't.

Funnily enough, I genuinely liked Shakespeare when I was in High School. It's when I got older and realized he wasn't the be-all end-all of English drama that I started to develop a disdain for the man's works.

So I'm not sure how relevant your assertion is.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:12 pm

Sanctissima wrote:So I'm not sure how relevant your assertion is.

It's not so much of an assertion as a question that needed to be asked because of an existing and significant general trend that exists within the population. Of course, this trend is not going to be the explanation for every case. But it's worth asking to at the very least rule it out and at best perhaps identify the root cause which can than be addressed. Because let's face it, it's a dam shame for someone to spend his life hating something beautiful just because of bad education. It's not like you who have made an informed decision about it. And in the case I am wrong and it is the worst thing that's happened is I've wasted some seconds writing a text message.
Last edited by Purpelia on Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Arvanon and Vortes
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 08, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Arvanon and Vortes » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:21 pm

Purpelia wrote:

For me, my enjoyment of Shakespeare inhabits the same 'guilty pleasure' section of my mind as enjoying non-intellectual comedy films or action films. He makes some very humorous content, but honestly, it's only his longevity and acceptance of basic literary devices in storytelling that sets him apart from his contemporaries and those before, as well as his inventive use of language. If his work had gone undiscovered for many years, before being discovered again, it would not be nearly as impressive as it is now, having existed continually throughout the centuries.
PRO: An-Xileel, Ebonheart Pact, Argonians, Confederacy of Independent Systems, Galactic Republic, Alliance to Restore the Republic, Grey Jedi Order, House Arryn, House Stark, House Tyrell, Rick C-137, Morty C-137, Bird Person, Krombopulos Michael, Meridia, Legate Rikke, Daenerys Targaryen, Jon Snow, Robb Stark
NEUTRAL: Cyrodiilic Empire, Daggerfall Covenant, Citadel of Ricks, Khajiit, Merethic Races, Human Races, Galactic Empire, Jedi Order, Squanchy, Hermaeus Mora, General Tullius, Stannis Baratheon, Renly Baratheon
CON: Aldmeri Dominion, Stormcloaks, Council of Ricks, Hutt Cartel, The Sith, Jerry Smith (any dimension), Molag Bal, Mehrunes Dagon, Ulfric Stormcloak, Galmar Stone-Fist, Joffrey Baratheon, Balon Greyjoy

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:22 pm

English is the best language there is.
Sanctissima wrote:
The Two Jerseys wrote:I get the feeling that the people who say that English is broken are the ones who are trying to rationalize why they failed their English class...

Marlowe was better anyway.

Considerably.

Granted, Shakespeare had some good works, but overall he was just a cheap knock-off Marlowe.
You only say this because you are Irish.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:23 pm

Arvanon and Vortes wrote:
Purpelia wrote:Seriously man, have you actually read any of his work? And I mean like actually sat down to read it properly and not in a forced angry "I am in high school and hate everything + I hate this because I am forced to do it" context? Because all discussion aside I find that the vast majority of things you are forced to read whilst in school are forced upon you and thus automatically seen as bad. And most of it is really literature that is definitively not intended for an audience that young either. And those two combine to make most of it look like crap to you even when it really isn't.

For me, my enjoyment of Shakespeare inhabits the same 'guilty pleasure' section of my mind as enjoying non-intellectual comedy films or action films. He makes some very humorous content, but honestly, it's only his longevity and acceptance of basic literary devices in storytelling that sets him apart from his contemporaries and those before, as well as his inventive use of language. If his work had gone undiscovered for many years, before being discovered again, it would not be nearly as impressive as it is now, having existed continually throughout the centuries.

For my part I just genuinely enjoy his work. It's just fun to read, you know? He can tell a story and tell it in an interesting way that will keep me reading until I am done. I've newer really cared to analyze it beyond that.
Last edited by Purpelia on Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:23 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Sanctissima wrote:So I'm not sure how relevant your assertion is.

It's not so much of an assertion as a question that needed to be asked because of an existing and significant general trend that exists within the population. Of course, this trend is not going to be the explanation for every case. But it's worth asking to at the very least rule it out and at best perhaps identify the root cause which can than be addressed. Because let's face it, it's a dam shame for someone to spend his life hating something beautiful just because of bad education. It's not like you who have made an informed decision about it. And in the case I am wrong and it is the worst thing that's happened is I've wasted some seconds writing a text message.

Eh, fair enough. But regardless, I doubt exposing people to Shakespeare later on in their lives would change the general attitude towards his plays overly much. Maybe some of the better plays like Macbeth, Romeo & Juliet, and maybe even Othello would get more love, but overall I doubt the general public opinion would change much.

It's an acquired taste. One which I'm not particularly fond of.

Sanctissima
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Sanctissima » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:26 pm

Napkiraly wrote:English is the best language there is.
Sanctissima wrote:
Considerably.

You only say this because you are Irish.

Baggorah, t'is like a second Potato Famine!

Give back Ulster ye Sassanach. 26 + 6 = 1!

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:26 pm

Sanctissima wrote:
Purpelia wrote:It's not so much of an assertion as a question that needed to be asked because of an existing and significant general trend that exists within the population. Of course, this trend is not going to be the explanation for every case. But it's worth asking to at the very least rule it out and at best perhaps identify the root cause which can than be addressed. Because let's face it, it's a dam shame for someone to spend his life hating something beautiful just because of bad education. It's not like you who have made an informed decision about it. And in the case I am wrong and it is the worst thing that's happened is I've wasted some seconds writing a text message.

Eh, fair enough. But regardless, I doubt exposing people to Shakespeare later on in their lives would change the general attitude towards his plays overly much. Maybe some of the better plays like Macbeth, Romeo & Juliet, and maybe even Othello would get more love, but overall I doubt the general public opinion would change much.

It's an acquired taste. One which I'm not particularly fond of.

Either way, just how did this discussion about the english language and how broken (or not) it is end up being one about Shakespeare? And like, would anyone care to contribute to the actual topic so that I can get back to my usual practice of snarky middle of the road replies? :)

Arvanon and Vortes
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Arvanon and Vortes » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:28 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Arvanon and Vortes wrote:For me, my enjoyment of Shakespeare inhabits the same 'guilty pleasure' section of my mind as enjoying non-intellectual comedy films or action films. He makes some very humorous content, but honestly, it's only his longevity and acceptance of basic literary devices in storytelling that sets him apart from his contemporaries and those before, as well as his inventive use of language. If his work had gone undiscovered for many years, before being discovered again, it would not be nearly as impressive as it is now, having existed continually throughout the centuries.

For my part I just genuinely enjoy his work. It's just fun to read, you know? He can tell a story and tell it in an interesting way that will keep me reading until I am done. I've newer really cared to analyze it beyond that.

I'd agree with that. He is insanely fun to read. Analysing it leads to cynicism of his work, which is where I think the distaste with his work comes from (English teachers just telling their students to analyse Shakespeare in an emotionless manner).
PRO: An-Xileel, Ebonheart Pact, Argonians, Confederacy of Independent Systems, Galactic Republic, Alliance to Restore the Republic, Grey Jedi Order, House Arryn, House Stark, House Tyrell, Rick C-137, Morty C-137, Bird Person, Krombopulos Michael, Meridia, Legate Rikke, Daenerys Targaryen, Jon Snow, Robb Stark
NEUTRAL: Cyrodiilic Empire, Daggerfall Covenant, Citadel of Ricks, Khajiit, Merethic Races, Human Races, Galactic Empire, Jedi Order, Squanchy, Hermaeus Mora, General Tullius, Stannis Baratheon, Renly Baratheon
CON: Aldmeri Dominion, Stormcloaks, Council of Ricks, Hutt Cartel, The Sith, Jerry Smith (any dimension), Molag Bal, Mehrunes Dagon, Ulfric Stormcloak, Galmar Stone-Fist, Joffrey Baratheon, Balon Greyjoy

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:28 pm

Sanctissima wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:English is the best language there is. You only say this because you are Irish.

Over my dead body, bog Irishman!

Alizeria
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Alizeria » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:29 pm

I can't stand the English language. It's illogical, poorly devised (being, essentially, a cross between French and German) and has no soul or flavour to it... the linguistic equivalent of flour and water.

I've always preferred other languages.
IIwiki | Hansard | Foreign Affairs | Q&A
Late Roman Empire wrote:Draconians often joke that they double-inspect imports of Alizerian lamb for signs of coupling.

New Edom wrote:Did you hear about that Alizerian who said he’d eat some sheep’s balls on a bet? He won the bet, but damn did that sheep kick him.

Hittanryan wrote:What do you call a guy with his hand up a sheep's ass? An Alizerian mechanic.

Schottia wrote:While Belisaria is burning Schottia is watching football and Alizeria is teaching sheep to drive.

Shalum wrote:Alizeria, the one place where it's acceptable to be a lady by day, and a freak in the hay.

Arvanon and Vortes
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Arvanon and Vortes » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:30 pm

Sanctissima wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:English is the best language there is. You only say this because you are Irish.

Beg podden, gwyddeleg?

Arvanon and Vortes
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Arvanon and Vortes » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:32 pm

Alizeria wrote:I can't stand the English language. It's illogical, poorly devised (being, essentially, a cross between French and German) and has no soul or flavour to it... the linguistic equivalent of flour and water.

Are you a native English speaker? Because I have a hypothesis that, if a language is widely spoken, native speakers of their language will always dislike it more than foreigners. I have many German friends who love English but hate German.

Dooom35796821595
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dooom35796821595 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:32 pm

Alizeria wrote:I can't stand the English language. It's illogical, poorly devised (being, essentially, a cross between French and German) and has no soul or flavour to it... the linguistic equivalent of flour and water.

And the fact you happen to be French has nothing to do with it, right... :p
When life gives you lemons, you BURN THEIR HOUSE DOWN!
Anything can be justified if it is cool. If at first you don't succeed, destroy all in your way.
"Your methods are stupid! Your progress has been stupid! Your intelligence is stupid! For the sake of the mission, you must be terminated!”

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:32 pm

Never try to learn Tibetan.

Arvanon and Vortes
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Arvanon and Vortes » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:33 pm

Napkiraly wrote:

Never try to learn Tibetan.

The writing system is nice, though. Difficult to understand, perhaps, but nice.

But Thai... Now there's an evil language.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:33 pm

Arvanon and Vortes wrote:I'd agree with that. He is insanely fun to read. Analysing it leads to cynicism of his work, which is where I think the distaste with his work comes from (English teachers just telling their students to analyse Shakespeare in an emotionless manner).

That's true for any work in general. Like, I love reading. But I always despised book analysis. Its not that it should not be done. But children in school are just not qualified to do it intellectually yet. There is a reason why there are universities you need to finish in literature to do this thing professionally. So it ends up being a chore that you don't really understand and most likely copy out of pre written analysis books (nowadays I guess the internet?). I knew plenty of people who showed up for class having read these analysis and not the actual work and passed. And I am from Europe. I can't imagine how it must be for people stuck in the american education system.

I would not have been so blunt about it but I basically agree. Being fluent in all three of those I'll take German and French (in that order) over english any day. English is basically not bad but it's just a little bit clunky here and a tad bit strange there that it tickles you the wrong way once you compare it with something sensible like German.
Last edited by Purpelia on Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FelrikTheDeleted
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby FelrikTheDeleted » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:33 pm

>has no soul

So it's the ginger of the language world? :p

To be serious, I personally prefer English.
Last edited by FelrikTheDeleted on Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arvanon and Vortes
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Arvanon and Vortes » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:34 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Arvanon and Vortes wrote:I'd agree with that. He is insanely fun to read. Analysing it leads to cynicism of his work, which is where I think the distaste with his work comes from (English teachers just telling their students to analyse Shakespeare in an emotionless manner).

That's true for any work in general. Like, I love reading. But I always despised book analysis. Its not that it should not be done. But children in school are just not qualified to do it intellectually yet. There is a reason why there are universities you need to finish in literature to do this thing professionally. So it ends up being a chore that you don't really understand and most likely copy out of pre written analysis books (nowadays I guess the internet?). I knew plenty of people who showed up for class having read these analysis and not the actual work and passed. And I am from Europe. I can't imagine how it must be for people stuck in the american education system.

Ah, you're probably right. I haven't picked up many of the books I studied in High School, simply because I studied them in High School.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General